WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Terri: have you talked to a lawyer, each state has different property laws, do you have proof of payment? This is a very big deal in Minnesota!!! Please talk to a attorney that specializes in this area. Good luck!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    I am slowly moving out of the doldrums.

Huh! I just spent several minutes thinking about the statement “Keeping the weight off is something I have control over.” I have always thought about my weight as being something apart from me. A thing that my actions (eating and exercising) might affect but which I have no control over. I cannot say I will eat this specific food in this specific quantity and do this exercise for this period of time and I will absolutely lose a specified amount of weight in X number of days. It just doesn’t work that way. At the same time if I track the kinds and quantities of food and the type and duration of exercise over a period of time I can observe if I gained, lost or maintained weight. I can then tweak those combinations of things so that I get a steady loss and eventually so that I can maintain a certain weight.

Some things like losing 40 pounds in 2 weeks are just impossible (or are completely not healthy). Other things like losing 40 pounds in 80 weeks are possible and healthy, but not guaranteed. My thought process surrounding the idea of “control” is not fully defined yet. However, I think I need to come up with a different word or definition of control when it comes to weight loss. I like being in control in my life and while I can control my food intake and my calories expended in exercise, I need to accept that the weight itself will come off at a pace that I cannot control. I am “in control” of the weight continuing to come off. I am not “in control” of how fast that happens.

I think some of my unhappiness lately is that I have been discouraged with the fact that my weight loss has slowed down. I am not losing as rapidly as I once was. I keep thinking if I change this or that I will lost fast again and it just isn’t happening. I need to work on my thinking. I need to become OK with losing more slowly.

Mia in MI

Well said Mia :) AWESOME sauce, my dear.

<3 Rosie
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Elaine, I have no wheat flour in my house, but I do allow the girls bread, breaded items that are frozen and microwavable, and cookies. They stay in a special lower cabinet and go straight to the table, not used on the counters. And I am meticulous about wiping crumbs up. I often won't eat with the girls since once the younger one dumped crumbs all over my plate by accident. I don't eat out anymore- got glutened too many times. When it was just me here, I had a gluten free kitchen.

My daughter has commented that she keeps it GF in the house right now because she has little ones (1year old - 8 1/2 years old). That way, if the littlest one is eating a snack cracker, she can eat any leftovers without worrying about being glutened. She is also VERY careful about where she eats outside the house. When she goes to a potluck, she will usually bring her own food, even though she is contributing to the general food. She has found that Red Robin and P F Chang's are very good with their GF menu and she's comfortable eating their food.

Elaine in Lansing
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mia - I can completely identify. When the weight loss slowed down, I was very discouraged. I tried everything, mostly pulling my exercise. I could wear smaller clothes, people were asking me about me losing weight, but I wasn't losing. When I went to the doctor and talked to him he was very reassuring. So now I'm just working on maintaining, getting healthy and strong and eventually maybe some day I will lose some more. I struggled to get to this frame of mind tho. I'd much rather watch the pounds continue to roll off. Hang in there, you know what you're doing is right.

Janetr OKC

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well it has been a B*** of the last 24 hours. My leg was hurting yesterday when I got up, nothing major. Then last evening when I was getting ready for bed I noticed it was red and hot. So I called the on call doctor and he said to go to ER and have it checked. So off to ER DH and I went. Now I realize they take in order of problem. I have nothing against that. But we are sitting there waiting and an off duty ER nurse comes in with her teenage daughter and thinks she has a UTI. Next thing I know a nurse comes out and this person asked which doctors were working and then told the nurse who she wanted to see. Then the nurse goes and gets a UA cup and gives to the lady and she has her go into the restroom. When she comes out her mom said I will just go get this started. Now this is before they have even seen a doctor, we are in the waiting room. A couple minutes later her mom comes out and says come on we'll get this taken care of. I was so mad I just got up and went home. I made a report to the supervisior. So see what happens next. So this morning I called the doctor office and went over. Now this afternoon I am having an Ultra Sound. I just want to know what is going on. I have been running a low grade temp all weekend. I have to get this taken care of we leave for Mena, AK next Tuesday. DH was not real happy with me for walking out of the ER, but it was better then blowing up there. Thanks for listening. The ultra sound showed not blood clots, happy about that. But when I went back to have it, I now have the rash spreading on the other leg. Hurts and is hot also. Doctor now says it is somekind of infection and gave me pills to take.
    I am so far behind on posts and will do my best to get caught up again. So it sounds like I am behind on the news, I am.

Terri--I am sorry you have to live with the stress of maybe having to move. I hope you dad changes his mind.

I had an NSV on Sunday evening, We had went motorcycle riding with another couple and a single friend. We were over to where their daughter works and when the lady come out she asked where I was as she could not see me. I was standing in front of DH. He is not a real big man 6 foot 185 pounds. Made me feel good.

Sylvia--Congrates on the insurance paying 100%,

Joyce--When I was growing up we would have beef brains. I loved them, but have not seen them in the store for years. They always make me think of my dad.

Chris in MA--So sorry to hear about your friend. Sending prayers and hugs.

Well ladies I have to close for the day as about time to go home. I am only on page 22, but will read again tomorrow. Thanks for being in my life.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE

October Goals
    1. Weigh less at the end of the month then at the beginning.
    2. Log every bite.
    3. Stress less, Pray more
    4. Enjoy everyday. Look for the positive.

• pipcd34
    Options
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for the Welcome...So glad I found this Board..
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Val8less wrote: »
    Barbie....I too am from NW Washington Getting back into the swing of things...Goal: 5lbs gone by October 31, 2015...increase cardio by doing 3x Zumba for 60 minutes per week...eat 3 clean meals a day...with allowance of 2 snacks...Drink 6-8 (8oz) water per day AND No added sugar!

welcome.gif You have come to the right place....this is a great community of women who collectively have great experience to share....take it one day at a time and do not be discouraged.

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I should've used the recipe builder BEFORE I ate the cupcake ... Sigh ... Husband's birthday.

Beth
  • shoileyr
    shoileyr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me too hope blossom.

I know that I'm not always eating right but the weight goes on so quickly after 50 and comes off so slow. It's like I have to eat half as much I guess it's really a tough habit to break to reduce portions. Will keep trying too.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody! I have been on our road trip since the third. Finally home to these 600 plus posts and have not time to read them all yet. I will try to get through some tomorrow.
    I could not find the time to do more than log in calories while on the road. I found breakfast a lot tougher than dinner. Some days we walked heaps and others not at all due to long distances in the car. I will not get on the scale till Friday.
    We traveled to a part of the country we had never been before, and discovered there is beauty in every state we passed through. Saw the St. Louis Arch, the Mississippi River, Memphis, Elvis' birthplace in Tupelo, Miss., a bit of the Natchez Trace Parkway, a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Florence, AL, the Huntsville Space Center and took the two hour tour in Mammoth Cave, KY.
    There is so much we did not get to see, but that always seems to be the case.
    Hard to get back to the routine..but only went slightly over my 1200 today.
    Will try to write more after I have read more of your posts, but there was one truly inspiring place we visited I will mention now. A man by the name of Tom Hendrix has spent 35 years building a memorial to his great great grandmother, who was forcibly taken to Oklahoma during the Trail of Tears. She escaped and walked back to her home by the Tennessee River. It took five years!
    The memorial is in the form of two huge stone walls all done by hand with no mortar. The first wall is rather straight like her first journey while the second is meandering. It is in a peaceful wooded area and it is so inspiring to visit! He says it is also a place dedicated to women. Such a gentle and kind man. He gives a talk to everyone who visits.
    Betty
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm stil here. Mostly reading without posting.

Good night!

Carol in NC
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Checking in quickly. Hope everyone is having a good week so far.
    Brenda from Md
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hi again! Today was another busy day here. I had to take the van to the service department because the back hatch won't stay up. They had to order the part so I have to go back on Friday. Then went to lunch with two friends, then to Pet Smart, then to another store where I discovered my phone was missing. I retraced my steps and went back to Pet Smart but they didn't have it. A very nice lady there called my number but we didn't hear it ringing in the store, do she came outside and called it again in the parking lot. It somehow had fallen under the drivers seat! Boy, was I glad to find it. Then came back to the studio for about an hour before starting my afternoon grandma's bus route.

I've been taking Spot out in the side yard and throwing tennis balls for him while hubby takes the other two out back to chase frisbees. Spot doesn't let anybody else play with toys, and Molly was really missing out, so we tried it this way. It's working really well. There's no fence in the side yard, but Spot is so focused on the balls that he doesn't even pay attention to the other dogs right next door. So far, so good. My arm is a little sore. Must be using different muscles.

Well, I'm off to bed. Have a great evening.

Sylvia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Quite often a 'trust' is set up if a child has some sort of physical or mental issue when he/she has lived with their parents their entire lives. It protects them from being taken advantage of. Some people put a trust in their Will in order to take care of minor children in the event of the death of both parents in a common disaster. The trustee is responsible for showing the probate court that the money did, indeed, go for the child(ren) and not something like a car for the people taking care of them (for themselves ... unless the car is used as a primary car for the family; but, even then it has to be approved. Heard of people leaving a spouse a life-estate in a home so that they can live in it (usually free) until their death; and, then the estate is probated (or divided among the others in the family. There are so many different ways to protect you estate; some people seem to want to 'follow' their estates for generations to come. That only gets so involved and creates a lot of personal issues between family members. Of, course, there are some pieces of furniture that I will leave to my sons/and their wives (as a couple - really to sons) that I would 'like' for them to continue being handed down, generation to generation. My DYS has the bed that my Mimi started housekeeping with. The mattress he has on it, is actually too big; but, I would like to see them have it taken apart and re-glued and clamped and then get a mattress that fits it (a full-sized one); and maybe use it in a guest room. They will be buying some land within the next few years and building (or that is the plan). Renting her house out. It'll be paid for in another 8 years. I think that children should have their own space/room, especially as they get older. But, there are some things that will go to them and not my DOS (his wife would sell or give away anything) although I am surprised that they have kept a few pieces we have given to them.

Picked my puppy up today. She is a sweetie. Right now and for the next 10 days she'll have to wear a cone around her neck to keep her from pulling out the sutures in her belly when she was spayed. I named her "Cracker" and 'think' her middle name should be 'shadow'. She has followed me around all day. Right now she is asleep on her bed beside me. She has been loving on DH, he also thinks she is so 'ugly she is cute'. She's had a busy day!

Got to take the kennel back to the Pet Store. DH thinks that the crate is sufficient for our needs. I'm going to take her for rides and get her out to do things other than go to the vet in it, so that she won't balk about getting into it.

I'll try to take some pictures of her and post them.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    So many interesting letters.Glad you all can reply to them.I am beyond slow when it comes to keeping in
    touch with friends,so no way I can keep up with the moveable board. Skimming thru is about it for me.

DH is just home from 4 days in the hospital. He had some odd symptoms.....that lead to a boatload of tests....all to no avail.I finally remarked to one of the Drs that " in my opinion he didn't need more tests that tell him nothing & the best place for him is home". He agreed & a couple hrs later,he was dismissed.Happy to have him back.We live very near the hospital,but it wears me out to sit around there.Oh,well.....it all worked out.

Today was spent catching up on laundry,cleaning & grocery shopping. We didn't "need" much,but Dr wants him to eat a bit more.....so now stocked on lots of his fav goodies.....just what I need....not!

DD & SIL were here for 5 days from Fl.Other DD & family was in & out.....lots of ppl coming & going. Had supper out every day.They left on Wed & DH went in hospital Friday. Now we are doing nothing much & enjoying this Fall weather.

JANEtr.....glad you are doing so well.Boo to 100 knee bends.

Almost forgot,when the cardiologist came in ...he shook hands with my Son I L, saying "Mr Smith & Mrs Smith"to me. SIL said this is my MIL,not my wife.I am 18 yrs older than SIL. :D

Sorry I have nothing of interest to add. Welcome to new posters.

• pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    spin at home- 60min, 126ahr, = guess 487c
    accidentally stopped hrm, had to restart
    walk dome 2 hm- 38.09min, 3.9amph/pace, 110ahr, 137mhr = 284c
    total cal 771
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    14,000 steps
    150 minutes of dog walking
    10 minutes on the exercise bike

:) I have enjoyed the wonderful luxury of reading through a whole day of posts and seeing that everyone who had a question, got a great answer. This is the most wonderful community. My other luxury today was a nap with hubby and the pets.

:) We have been watching parts of the baseball playoff games. Neither of my favorite teams is playing so there is no passion or emotion involved, just curiosity about who will progress. Not having to pay too much attention has allowed me to get some paperwork done and finish reading all the posts.

t116009.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! We're still on vacation! This is half way up to the summit of Pikes Peak!

ibvq7ji1eeew.jpeg

We're stranded in Colorado Springs! Our tyranny is dying! They can't get one until Thursday. Beautiful place to site see though!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Grits. I probably missed it but what kind of puppy did you get? How old? I am also trying to train mine to be a good dog. He is actually pretty good and quite calm for a puppy. We have never had a dog in the house before. My husband doesn't really care for a dog in the house. The potty training is fun! The crate training is going well. He is starting to go right in it at night. Good luck with yours.
    Maryann in Michigan