Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Did Patrick Rothfuss ever finish that series? I know I read Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. There is a 3rd book out, but I think it is a companion novel.

Sorry for the double post. I got nerd excited.

Missed if someone else answered this but no he has not put the third book out, The Doors of Stone and so far I have not heard about a release date on it. The Slow Regard of Silent Things was related to the the first two. It tells the story of the girl, Auri, who lives in the Underthing. It is an unusual story, and may not be for everyone. I love his use of language and ability to make objects into characters.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Anyone else read the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series with the protagonist of "traditional" girth?
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I love reading and I'm on everyday :relaxed: Feel free to add me
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to start Patrick Ness A monster calls.
    Heard so much good stuff about it.
  • catamongthepixies
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I love reading. I don't have any disliked genres, but I definitely prefer fantasy novels.
    I'm new on MFP, so it's really comforting to read through this thread (and write down some books to check out later) and also get some encouragement for starting this process.
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Ive gotten some good leads from this thread! Im waiting for the next of Song of Ice and Fire so picked up today the GRRM A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms which is a telling of the centuries leading up to the current books.
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    hello, everyone (especially molly from chicago - chicago here, too!)

i am a book-spazz and find that if i read when i get home instead of snacking, the reading really helps.

anyone else tackle infinite jest? i finished it last month and i am still so sad it is over!
  • got2rockit
    got2rockit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am a librarian in an elementary/middle school. The last adult book I read was Ken Follet Book 1 of the Century series? Is that right? LOL! I think I may need another cup of coffee! Looking forward to Christmas break when I can maybe start on book 2 of the series…whatever it's called! LOL!
  • leadout48
    leadout48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome, book nerd here too just got done with "A Prayer for Owen Meany" John Irving is amazing like to reward myself with matching 100 pages for 2000 steps taken gives me more motivation to walk it off.
  • Jrho436
    Jrho436 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a total book nerd as well. Some of the books I read recently and really liked are We Were Liars, The Martian and Orphan Train.

Feel free to add me to discuss books and healthy living...lol.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    hlnebel wrote: »
    Anybody read Pillars of the Earth? I loooooved that book. I have the next one in the series sitting in my bookcase, just waiting for me to finish reading The Thornbirds.
    Yes! Pillars of the earth was a great historical epic. Loved it. I have the sequel, World Without End, sitting on my desk at work. Once I finish what I'm reading I'm moving on to reading it while on the treadmill at our gym here.

It's so weird because neither book is anything like Ken Follett's other books.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Anyone else read the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series with the protagonist of "traditional" girth?

I read several of this series and HBO actually made a tv show with it. I don't have HBO but I was staying at a hotel and it was on super late at night like 3am.

I'm editing this so I don't post a 3rd straight post. @leadout48 I love some John Irving. Owen Meany was such a good book but I still like the 4th Hand the best of all his books. If you like John Irving I would recommend some Tom Robbins. He's kind of like John Irving on crack. He's got the same brand of dark humor and need for making social commentary in his stories, but the stories themselves tend to have a lot of magical realism. My favorite from Robbins is a toss up between Jitterbug Perfurme, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates.

I'm totally nerding out in this thread.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    leadout48 wrote: »
    Welcome, book nerd here too just got done with "A Prayer for Owen Meany" John Irving is amazing like to reward myself with matching 100 pages for 2000 steps taken gives me more motivation to walk it off.

Absolutely my favourite book. I'm scared to ever reread it, or let real live book club discuss it incase it taints my memory of how good it it.

• DocRobicheaux
    DocRobicheaux Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Book/Kindle worm. Huge fan of the "South Florida mystery" genre guys like Tim Dorsey and Carl Hiassen.Also enjoy the Jack Reacher books but my favorite author is James Lee Burke. LOTR is right up there, first read it in high school way back when.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes, "bland" textbooks, online databases, journal articles, & occasionally documentaries all constitute entertainment...to me at least. All involving science of course...got to kill boredom somehow
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I used to be a bookworm.....sports, however, have taken over the free time I had to read.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you like John Irving I would recommend some Tom Robbins. He's kind of like John Irving on crack. He's got the same brand of dark humor and need for making social commentary in his stories, but the stories themselves tend to have a lot of magical realism. My favorite from Robbins is a toss up between Jitterbug Perfurme, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates.

These are so great! I loved whichever Tom Robbins book it was where the main characters were like.... a can of beans, a rock, and a spoon... something like that? I can't remember, but it was funny. And if you like Tom Robbins you gotta try Christopher Moore, specifically FOOL (story of King Lear as told by the irreverent and wonderful court jester, named Pocket.) Hilarious! I listened to the audiobook and it was just wonderful. And possibly LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (note: not everyone will appreciate the humor in this one for sure).
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options

MAJOR book nerd here! I'll read anything and everything, including the dictionary/encyclopedias. Lol.[/quote]

Love it....me too!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Simple solution, @SuggaD , take the book to the game. On this score, I've got the best husband in the world. I've been accused of being "antisocial" for carrying a book wherever I go, but he indulges me.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Simple solution, @SuggaD , take the book to the game. On this score, I've got the best husband in the world. I've been accused of being "antisocial" for carrying a book wherever I go, but he indulges me.

No, participating in sports. My training and races takes up all the free time I have.