Moderation

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh, I like this one! There are some folks that think that moderation "can mean anything" but this article nails it down. It is the absence of extremes. Nice. Thanks for sharing it!
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Oh, I like this one! There are some folks that think that moderation "can mean anything" but this article nails it down. It is the absence of extremes. Nice. Thanks for sharing it!

No problem! I thought it hit the nail on the head :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Like it.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the direction I am heading. I have lost a lot of weight and gained some of it back. I am working on getting back to my goal weight. This is pretty much the route I am going to take. It might take me longer to get there, but I will be building healthy sustainable habits along the way. This makes a lot of sense to me.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Very good article.
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good article, thank you for sharing it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Those who do moderation get this already...those who are into extremes need to read it.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Great article!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Those who do moderation get this already...those who are into extremes need to read it.

BOOM!
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Exactly why I posted!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Yep. There was a discussion here recently where some people were trying to argue that moderation has a million different definitions, just like "clean." I couldn't figure out how to articulate that even though we all might do it differently, it is still the same thing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's the difference between trying to stick to a "clean" diet versus a "moderate" diet. To be "clean" you have to get it right. Otherwise it is, you know, unclean. Banished to the outskirts of the tribe.

To moderate, all you have to do is get it kinda, sorta right. As long as you are pointed in the right direction, you are climbing the mountain. If you hike 1KM today or 10, it is all fine because you are still kinda sorta getting there. Moderates don't have to be precise or perfect.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Yep. There was a discussion here recently where some people were trying to argue that moderation has a million different definitions, just like "clean." I couldn't figure out how to articulate that even though we all might do it differently, it is still the same thing.

But they aren't wrong. There are many different ways the term "moderation" is used in reference to diet. Not everyone that says they eat in moderation follows the description in this article.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

But they aren't wrong. There are many different ways the term "moderation" is used in reference to diet. Not everyone that says they eat in moderation follows the description in this article.
    the avoidance of excess or extremes,

Is the definition in this article and is the actual definition.

Those who follow moderation do this exact thing...we don't do extremes.

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes. It also leaves room for regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure.

and this is the key to the article and moderation...

specifics are the difference but moderation is moderation regardless of how you do it...clean eating has a million different definitions....moderation 1
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This is such a great article. I need to bookmark that link!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It looks like eating a MOSTLY whole foods diet with plenty of nutrients from fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats, etc. The specifics will look different for everyone, because everyone has different preferences and tastes. It also leaves room for regular treats and indulgences that feed our soul and give us pleasure.

specifics are the difference but moderation is moderation regardless of how you do it...clean eating has a million different definitions....moderation 1

After more than a year on this site, I don't believe this is true. I'd say it's true of the majority who say they eat in moderation, but it's not true of all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Great article.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

After more than a year on this site, I don't believe this is true. I'd say it's true of the majority who say they eat in moderation, but it's not true of all.

After 2+ years on this site I know those that follow moderation get it and those that don't but say they do need to read the article...just like I said in my first post...

Those in the know...know.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited October 2015
    Options

After 2+ years on this site I know those that follow moderation get it and those that don't but say they do need to read the article...just like I said in my first post...

So only one definition that everyone follows, except for those that do something else and use the term incorrectly? ::laugh::

Sounds like every other diet term I've heard on this site - clean eating, IIFYM, plant based, paleo, etc.

EDIT: I do agree it's a good article though.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

So only one definition that everyone follows, except for those that do something else and use the term incorrectly? ::laugh::

Sounds like every other diet term I've heard on this site - clean eating, IIFYM, plant based, paleo, etc.

no..moderation is not doing things in extreme. Period.

Those that follow moderation have specifics they follow but don't do extremes. Not a hard concept.

You may not agree it's "moderation" but you can't argue with the definition.

Defining clean eating is nearly impossible as there are too many definitions...moderation 1 definition.

Those that say they are moderate and eliminate foods is not the definition of moderation...it's an education thing not a definition being right or wrong thing.

but not gonna argue semantics.

Good article OP
This discussion has been closed.