Do you find wearing gym wear encourages you?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My gym clothes are pretty much just utilitarian, meaning that they cover me up and are fitted where they need to be and loose where they need to be. Not really motivating or anything. I have certain capris that I wear on certain days (fitted all the way down my leg on deadlifting days, loose at the bottom on other days) and some tops that I like more than others (of course these are the oldest/rattiest/most comfortable) but I wouldn't say that I feel more motivated in one outfit than in another.

I don't foresee me ever wearing a crop top of any sort.

Mine are comfortable and useful too. I just have been gravitating toward bright colors when I buy new stuff.

Colorful =/= non functional

I don't *think* that I implied that colorful means non-functional but if I did, that's certainly not what I meant to do.

When I shop for gym clothes, I usually look for black bottoms and then a shirt with a pattern or graphic on the front. I don't like plain colored tops because I find that they seem to accentuate my mid-section roll more than tops that have some sort of camouflage on them.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I prefer basic, black gear and also go for comfort and functionality above all else. I think black is more flattering and hides sweat stains better, though ultimately I just want pants that stay up and tops that stay in place.

I sort of hate that men's workout gear is basic and functional and women's is like Rainbow Brite on crack.. even worse with sneakers. It sort of implies that men just want to exercise whereas women just want to play dress up.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    My gym clothes are pretty much just utilitarian, meaning that they cover me up and are fitted where they need to be and loose where they need to be. Not really motivating or anything. I have certain capris that I wear on certain days (fitted all the way down my leg on deadlifting days, loose at the bottom on other days) and some tops that I like more than others (of course these are the oldest/rattiest/most comfortable) but I wouldn't say that I feel more motivated in one outfit than in another.

Mine are comfortable and useful too. I just have been gravitating toward bright colors when I buy new stuff.

I don't *think* that I implied that colorful means non-functional but if I did, that's certainly not what I meant to do.

When I shop for gym clothes, I usually look for black bottoms and then a shirt with a pattern or graphic on the front. I don't like plain colored tops because I find that they seem to accentuate my mid-section roll more than tops that have some sort of camouflage on them.

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that's what you were saying. I'm just making a point.

I've come across a lot of people who think if you're not in baggy sweats, you must not be serious about working out. I didn't get that vibe from you, I just quoted without thinking.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

^This. I am obsessed with colourful workout gear. I have so many leggings with crazy prints, and they're all from places like Sweaty Betty, Nike, Under Armour etc. so do what they're supposed to do. I don't know if that makes them more motivating, but when I get up at 5am to get the gym they do make me smile at least
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I never buy clothes that are unflattering by way of encouragement (to lose weight, change my shape).

I saw a lady at the gym yesterday with an impressive set of back muscles, that she showed off well with a sports bra.

I do love color, and yes, hubby shakes his head at me too. But if it makes me happy, why not?

Big fan of spandex for keeping in the jiggly bits.
  • jemhh
    Options

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that's what you were saying. I'm just making a point.

I've come across a lot of people who think if you're not in baggy sweats, you must not be serious about working out. I didn't get that vibe from you, I just quoted without thinking.

Oh! Yeah, I know what you mean. People are really judge-y about women with makeup on while working out too. I just MMOB and don't get fussed about that kind of stuff. Different people like different things. If we were all the same, the world would be boring.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I wouldn't wear a cropped top in the gym ..I'd feel like I'd be saying look at me ..bad enough in my gym gear which is tight fitting anyway

If there ever comes a day where I see abs and definition on my stomach, you bet i'm getting it out ;)

Why? It's a gym not a beach

Seriously though don't you get enough stares. I honestly don't see the fitness benefit in having a nekkid torso

And as a functioning human my abs are visible when I'm standing...if I'm squatting, lunging or on an incline bench or crunching or any number of exercises there will no doubt be rolls
  • Sinead1819
    Sinead1819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    another reason i've invested in some cropped shorts, like knee length, is that sweat makes my eczema sting and its realy bad atm, especially on my lower legs. The thought of having it on show makes me anxious but I'm hoping I'll get over that quickly. Its really not nice and does attract worried comments, normally along the lines of have I been in a fire/ burnt myself!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear a cropped top in the gym ..I'd feel like I'd be saying look at me ..bad enough in my gym gear which is tight fitting anyway

If there ever comes a day where I see abs and definition on my stomach, you bet i'm getting it out ;)

Why? It's a gym not a beach

Seriously though don't you get enough stares. I honestly don't see the fitness benefit in having a nekkid torso

And as a functioning human my abs are visible when I'm standing...if I'm squatting, lunging or on an incline bench or crunching or any number of exercises there will no doubt be rolls

^^ Did not think of this!

In all seriousness, I probably wouldn't 'let it all hang out' once I get my ideal body type - purely because I'm not that type of girl. I'm quite shy and reserved at the best of times. I think it would be nice to have the option more than anything!

I agree with you in the sense that it can be very 'look at me'. There are a few girls in my gym that reek of "Look at me". I guess it depends on how you carry yourself!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Sinead1819 wrote: »
    is that sweat makes my eczema sting and its realy bad atm

You could also consider wicking work out clothing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    To be honest I suppose it affects my decision making that my husband finds my workout gear...ahem...appealing
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitted black top pretty much every single workout. It's the leggings for me, too, where I go crazy. Lots of varying colors, prints, lengths, materials. And I usually get bright, flashy shoes as well. I definitely feel a little more positive if I'm wearing something I like.
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Good idea! also *really
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Good idea! also *really

I know ;)

Obviously you can wear whatever floats your boat but cotton + sweat = recipe for skin irritation
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    I bought a cropped black vest top (cheap from sportsdirect) and I've never worn anything like it! Hence the post :) new to everything :)
  • jemhh
    Options
    To be honest I suppose it affects my decision making that my husband finds my workout gear...ahem...appealing

Haha. Yes, my husband seems to like mine too.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Wearing gym wear doesn't motivate me, but I'm more comfortable in clothes designed for working out. I have several pairs of black or darker colored capris and several moisture wicking tanks. I don't find a cotton t-shirt comfortable to work out in. My workout clothes are fitted, but are the correct size so I'm not uncomfortable. But whatever you want to work out in is great.
  • Sinead1819
    Options

Haha. Yes, my husband seems to like mine too.

Thats it, I dont see why some girls wear overly revealing stuff! Nice to see ladies caring what their husbands think not randomers :) I only care what my boyfriend thinks look good, but I wonder if I feel like I look the part it will encourage my mentality and determination?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I always wear yoga/dance pants & the matching tank/bra or a suit, not just when I exercise. Therefore I wear it for style & function. I am on a strict budget so I even wear matching bikini sets as a bra & panties all year; otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford swimwear. The 1 thing that I can't stand about Victoria's Secret yoga pants with the rollover tops, is that besides the rollover part being available in multiple colors; the rest of the pants are just available in black. So if I wear a tank that covers over the rollover part (which I always do), I look as if I am wearing the same pair of pants everyday.