Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• zippiebug
    zippiebug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Huge book nerd here - so much so, I do it for a living as a librarian. Just starting MFP, my first go-around, and would love to connect with others who, like me, are fighting the urge to collapse on the couch with a book.

I'm an omnivore reader (necessary for my job), but especially love mystery, historical fiction, literary fiction, fantasy, children's books and narrative nonfiction. I just finished reading The Shift by Theresa Brown RN, about her life as a nurse (fascinating!) and am about to dive into Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling's crime series written under a pseudonym).

Love hearing what all of you are reading!
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    Total book nerd here! Sci-Fi, mysteries, fantasy, historical fiction are all awesome. Terry Pratchett is my personal hero and all-time favorite author; I just about went into mourning when he passed away earlier this year. When I die I hope I'm reincarnated into Discworld. :smiley: Stephen King, Dick Frances, Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series seriously rocks), Ernest Cline, Neil Gaiman, JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, I could go on for hours. I love my Ipod and use it on my walks and when I'm cooking/cleaning but nothing will ever replace the feel and smell of an actual book. Besides, If I accidentally get a book wet in the bath tub I can dry it out. The Ipod not so much.

YAY Ernest Cline!! His books are so much FUN :)
    I LOVE libraries...I am almost in a panic when I think that maybe someday there won't be any.

Here is my list of favorites (not in order):

1. The Light Years - James Salter. Something about his writing in this book makes me absolutely swoon
    2. Hotel New Hampshire -- John Irving
    3. A Secret History -- Donna Tartt
    4. The Handmaid's Tale -- Margaret Atwood
    5. Cowboys are My Weakness -- short stories by Pam Houston
    6. Birds of America -- Lorrie Moore. Devastatingly funny stories.
    7. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius -- Dave Eggars
    8. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle -- Haruki Marukami
    9. My Other Life -- Paul Theroux. I read this one again and again.
    10. One Hundred Years of Solitude -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

If any of these speak to you...tell me your favorites! I always keep a running list in my phone for when I go to the library. Oh and I am still looking for someone who has read "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt...been dying to discuss it but no one I know has read it!!

Great list!! I tried to read The Goldfinch but had to set it aside for something else. I just could NOT get on board for some reason. I remember thinking that I didn't like any of the characters, but I didn't hate them either. I was just meh, not on the writing but on the characters themselves. I might try it again someday.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    I read everything. I'm also a huge fan of audiobooks. It's impossible to choose a favorite (I own 1700 books!), so here's what's been on my reading shelf lately:

(1) Lincoln, Gore Vidal
    (2) The Martian, Andy Weir (great book!)
    (3) The King's Justice, Stephen R. Donaldson
    (4) Stone of Tears, Terry Goodkind (reading with a friend who likes the TV series)
    (5) What Got You Here Won't Get You There, Marshall Goldsmith
    (6) Yin Yoga: The Practice of Quiet Power, Biff Mithoefer
    (7) I, Robot, Isaac Asimov
    (8) Complete Poems, Alfred Tennyson ("Mariana" is a melancholy fall favorite)
    (9) Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison (I try to always be reading at least one "classic;" this one's tough but good)
    (10) The Sorrows of Young Werther, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (I read this every fall)

Next up will probably be the next Sword of Truth novel (again, reading with a friend--it's pretty light fare for me), Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Ilyich (which I read every winter), some Pushkin short stories and maybe a little Aleksis Kivi. My reading tastes tend to shift north toward Finland and Russia over winter. :)

*****************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the reading list! #2, 7 seem where I will start....#9 yes, it is a tough...the novel for a class I took a few years ago...and ugh! but glad I read it. Now that my daughter has a reading list in high school, I try to read what they have assigned them so that she and I can discuss the material....alas, as a senior, our discussions have come
    far and few in between.

I have bookmarked this thread so that I can come back and pick up future ideas. Carry on....
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I will also be investing a kindle, something I promised I would never do. The Neo-Luddite in me must lose this battle as I really do desire to own fewer things.

I love the feel of a good book in my hand, but I also love my kindle. I am not afraid that books will overtake my entire living space, and I can pick and choose which books to get in 3D form and which to get on digital. Would love to hear how you like your kindle. I will warn you, at times when I pick up a 3D version, I don't understand why the page does not change when I press the right side of the page.

Happy reading!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I love reading, but have had to settle for audio books due to time constraints. I constantly have a book playing during my work commute, working out, doing yard work, etc. I love fiction, but have really gotten better about listening to more non-fiction in an attempt to smarten up as much as possible, lol.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    zippiebug wrote: »
    Huge book nerd here - so much so, I do it for a living as a librarian. Just starting MFP, my first go-around, and would love to connect with others who, like me, are fighting the urge to collapse on the couch with a book.

I'm an omnivore reader (necessary for my job), but especially love mystery, historical fiction, literary fiction, fantasy, children's books and narrative nonfiction. I just finished reading The Shift by Theresa Brown RN, about her life as a nurse (fascinating!) and am about to dive into Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling's crime series written under a pseudonym).

Love hearing what all of you are reading!

Zippiebug -- do you have any particular favorites for historical fiction? I devoured all of Hilary Mantel's and would love to find similar ones?

I also LOVED "The Paris Wife"
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Outlander fan. My fitness goal is to be hot enough that Jamie Fraser would leave Claire for me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I certainly was, and have been cursed by owning many many boxes of books each time I have moved (which I have done very regularly). I read much less than I should, and certainly much less than I used to but I have at least maintained the consumption of a fairly steady stream of non-fiction.

I'm not certain what my favourites would be but perhaps:

Novel: Norwegian Wood / To Kill A Mocking Bird
    Poetry: Plath's Ariel (I own both Sylvia's and Ted's arrangements) /Hughes' Birthday Letters.
    Play: McDonagh's The Pillowman / Fo's Accidental Death of an Anarchist

Currently I'm reading Wharton's The Age of Innocence and am listening to Go Set A Watchman on my early morning walks.

I will also be investing a kindle, something I promised I would never do. The Neo-Luddite in me must lose this battle as I really do desire to own fewer things.

I swore I'd never get a kindle either and now I have 2. You can get so many books for free. Any book where the copyright is expired is free and then amazon has a bunch of free reads. Plus, I pay $10 a month for amazon unlimited and I can download up to 10 books at a time to read. If I find another one I want I just return a book I've already read. Since I read about 20 books a month this is a real deal for me. With my paper books I was constantly re-reading stuff. I still do that sometimes, but not nearly as much as I used to. I like my paperwhite the best. I also have a kindle fire and I don't really need all the apps and email since I have those on my phone.
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I LOVE books. Half Price Books + my Library = So much fun
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I've always loved reading too, as a kid was forever back and forth to the local library on my bike with the maximum allowance of books. Spent my pocket money on amazing stories by Monica Dickens, Dodie Smith, Tove Jansson and others. At school we read classics including Lord of the Flies, The Mayor of Casterbridge and Animal Farm. Some books I've really enjoyed and either have or will re-read over again include John Irving's The World According to Garp and The Hotel New Hampshire, Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Sometimes a Great Notion and the small but beautiful Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach, as well as Nevil Shute's A Town Like Alice, Pied Piper and On The Beach. Liked Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and in my teens loved James Herriot's vet books, Gerald Durrell's animal books (especially My Family and Other Animals), and read Tolkein's Lord of the Rings twice for some reason (had my fill of orcs now). Also liked the Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I was a kindle convert when I realised I never need worry about having no books to read on holiday again.
    Just finished the new Ruth Rendell book. Was ok.
  • byrnejoeann
    byrnejoeann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP a few times before but life and stress always seemed to get in the way of sticking to my original goal. I'm working to lose weight and treat my body better each day, and would love some motivating friends that could help push me along.

I'm Molly from Chicago. I'm a huge book nerd and into a ton of geeky things.

Hi Molly I'm Jojo I'm on the same both as u, starting with this app we can encourage each other
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    hlnebel wrote: »
    Anybody read Pillars of the Earth? I loooooved that book. I have the next one in the series sitting in my bookcase, just waiting for me to finish reading The Thornbirds.

Yes, read the entire series and loved it! I also loved The Martian and The Road, two of my favorite books!

• jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Used to be a bookworm before college. Nowadays I'm afraid to pick up a novel because if it's good i get sucked in and ALL Ill want to do is read (ie won't use free time for school work Lol).
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I certainly was, and have been cursed by owning many many boxes of books each time I have moved (which I have done very regularly). I read much less than I should, and certainly much less than I used to but I have at least maintained the consumption of a fairly steady stream of non-fiction.

I'm not certain what my favourites would be but perhaps:

Novel: Norwegian Wood / To Kill A Mocking Bird
    Poetry: Plath's Ariel (I own both Sylvia's and Ted's arrangements) /Hughes' Birthday Letters.
    Play: McDonagh's The Pillowman / Fo's Accidental Death of an Anarchist

Currently I'm reading Wharton's The Age of Innocence and am listening to Go Set A Watchman on my early morning walks.

I swore I'd never get a kindle either and now I have 2. You can get so many books for free. Any book where the copyright is expired is free and then amazon has a bunch of free reads. Plus, I pay $10 a month for amazon unlimited and I can download up to 10 books at a time to read. If I find another one I want I just return a book I've already read. Since I read about 20 books a month this is a real deal for me. With my paper books I was constantly re-reading stuff. I still do that sometimes, but not nearly as much as I used to. I like my paperwhite the best. I also have a kindle fire and I don't really need all the apps and email since I have those on my phone.

I have just ordered one with £20 off using a voucher that Goodreads had sent me. I am apprehensive but I know I will save so much money on books this way and I am enormously looking forward to being able to lay in the dark at night and read. I feel far more relaxed with no light on which has put me off reading at night of late but hopefully that can change. I should be able to donate many of the classic novels I own to charity now too to free up a little more space.
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For all you kindles (and other e-readers) there are websites that give you access to thousands of free e-books. It is a good way to find new and obscure books that are great reads you never would have found otherwise.
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    YES! Bibliophiles of the world unite :smiley:

I am also a huge bookworm; and, here is my contribution to the 'try these' listings in no particular order:

1. His Majesty's Dragon [book 1] -- Naomi Novik (Temeraire series; 1- 8 [9 is due out May 2016])
    2. Harry Potter -- J. K. Rowling (all of them)
    3. Black Jewels Trilogy -- Anne Bishop (and the subsequent books based in that realm)
    4. Rick Riordan -- good for 'coming of age' with humor/adventure (currently reading his new one about Thor)
    5. Mercy Thompson series -- Patricia Briggs
    6. Garden Spells -- Sarah Addison Allen (and the sequel: First Frost)
    7. Nora Roberts --'girly books' (especially loved: the Gallagher Trilogy & the Three Sisters Island Trilogy)
    8. Mercedes Lackey -- enjoy her Companions of Valdemar series
    9. the Symphony of Ages (series) -- Elizabeth Haydon
    10. Dark Hunter (series) -- Sherrilyn Kenyon (although, they are getting a bit redundant)
    11. the Anita Blake & the Meredith Gentry series -- Laurell K. Hamilton (early books were awesome; starting to get too focused on sex versus a good plot with character growth)

Like others have mentioned, I'll read just about anything--even cereal boxes :smiley: --but the previous 11 books/series are ones I usually go back to, like revisiting old friends. Although, I do seem to gravitate to Sci-Fi more often with sprinkles from other genres as well (girly-books, 'feel good,' YA, etc.)
  • melizabird919
    melizabird919 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    YES! Bibliophiles of the world unite :smiley:

I am also a huge bookworm; and, here is my contribution to the 'try these' listings in no particular order:

1. His Majesty's Dragon [book 1] -- Naomi Novik (Temeraire series; 1- 8 [9 is due out May 2016])
    2. Harry Potter -- J. K. Rowling (all of them)
    3. Black Jewels Trilogy -- Anne Bishop (and the subsequent books based in that realm)
    4. Rick Riordan -- good for 'coming of age' with humor/adventure (currently reading his new one about Thor)
    5. Mercy Thompson series -- Patricia Briggs
    6. Garden Spells -- Sarah Addison Allen (and the sequel: First Frost)
    7. Nora Roberts --'girly books' (especially loved: the Gallagher Trilogy & the Three Sisters Island Trilogy)
    8. Mercedes Lackey -- enjoy her Companions of Valdemar series
    9. the Symphony of Ages (series) -- Elizabeth Haydon
    10. Dark Hunter (series) -- Sherrilyn Kenyon (although, they are getting a bit redundant)
    11. the Anita Blake & the Meredith Gentry series -- Laurell K. Hamilton (early books were awesome; starting to get too focused on sex versus a good plot with character growth)

Like others have mentioned, I'll read just about anything--even cereal boxes :smiley: --but the previous 11 books/series are ones I usually go back to, like revisiting old friends. Although, I do seem to gravitate to Sci-Fi more often with sprinkles from other genres as well (girly-books, 'feel good,' YA, etc.)

I'll need to check some of these out. I looked up a few and they sound great!

I'm just finishing the first in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Has anyone made their way through these?
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh yes--huge book nerd here too!!! I teach junior high so I read a lot of YA stuff--right now I am racing one of my 8th graders to finish the new Rick Riordan book--it's actually really good. The next adult thing I want to read is Jane Smiley's new trilogy--got them all cheap from Amazon--gonna work on those over Thanksgiving break. Jane Smiley is my FAV author--I think I have read A Thousand Acres five times, and Ordinary Love and Goodwill like a million--love her.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    drabbits2 wrote: »
    Oh yes--huge book nerd here too!!! I teach junior high so I read a lot of YA stuff--right now I am racing one of my 8th graders to finish the new Rick Riordan book--it's actually really good. The next adult thing I want to read is Jane Smiley's new trilogy--got them all cheap from Amazon--gonna work on those over Thanksgiving break. Jane Smiley is my FAV author--I think I have read A Thousand Acres five times, and Ordinary Love and Goodwill like a million--love her.

Oooo I forgot how much I love Jane Smiley. I didn't know she had a new trilogy!