Do you find wearing gym wear encourages you?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Nah, I like wearing comfy old t-shirts with leggings or yoga pants. I'm also cheap. I hate spending on pyjamas, too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sinead1819 wrote: »
    Recently I've been wearing a vest top and leggings but find I sweat loads around my waist so have ordered a cropped gym top. But i'm a little self conscious of wearing it because its my midsection i'm not so happy with!

Does it motivate you more to get it gone? Thoughts/feelings/opinions? Thank You :)

I exercise at home so I don't really feel self conscious about what I wear. I wear clothes that are easy to move in and are appropriate for the temperature.
    I would probably dress a little nicer going to a gym than I do at home. I don't think it would motivate me to exercise more to wear more revealing clothing, just make me less comfortable in public.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I always wear yoga/dance pants & the matching tank/bra or a suit, not just when I exercise. Therefore I wear it for style & function. I am on a strict budget so I even wear matching bikini sets as a bra & panties all year; otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford swimwear. The 1 thing that I can't stand about Victoria's Secret yoga pants with the rollover tops, is that besides the rollover part being available in multiple colors; the rest of the pants are just available in black. So if I wear a tank that covers over the rollover part (which I always do), I look as if I am wearing the same pair of pants everyday.

Nobody cares if you wear black pants every day. Seriously. People pay much less attention to things like that than you think. If you wore a pair of chartreuse floral patterned pants they would remember. Black pants? Nope.

And am I understanding you correctly that you wear a swimsuit (bikini) as your bra/underwear?
  • Sinead1819
    Sinead1819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It really is my lower legs that suffer, so hoping at least shorts will reduce the discomfort:)
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I can see how it would, but I purposefully look as bland as possible at the gym so I can do my workout with no attention. :)

Ha! I do the same! I'm the one in boring clothes who hides in the back corner.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love wearing patterned leggings and bright tops to the gym and for yoga. They're all designed as sports gear so properly functional for what I'm doing. Even my current Converse have a purple and lime green bird pattern and I use bright pink lifting straps (nobody would ever accidentally think they're theirs if I leave them laying around!). Wearing clothing that appeals to me at the gym makes me feel good about myself and more confident. I have to dress fairly conservatively for work so the gym is an opportunity for me to wear whatever takes my fancy and I really don't want to blend in with the guys!

I also wear makeup at the gym most days as I go straight from work. Don't take this to mean I don't smash it!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love spandex. I wear bright colored leggings and tops. I'm very visible. If you don't like people noticing you, don't wear bright colors.

jdtami0hxgf1.jpg
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. I love seeing my legs in leggings. And on top I wear vest or t-shirt. Crop top maybe one day when I'll be proud enough of what I'll have had accomplished (still long way to go). Peace and love to all of you. Wear whatever you like and what you feel comfortable with.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love spandex. I wear bright colored leggings and tops. I'm very visible. If you don't like people noticing you, don't wear bright colors.

jdtami0hxgf1.jpg

This photo. I love this photo. You look glowing
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Sinead1819 wrote: »

I've seen a lot of girls your age (and older actually) add a home made cut out t-shirt on top - it looks pretty cool.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    clothes do not motivate me - just me

Clothes motivate me! I just recently have been able to fit into my favorite workout pants -- they're not tight like leggings, they're a bit looser with a stripe down the side. Not sure what they're called exactly. Anyway, they USED to be tight light leggings because I was so overweight. Now that I've lost some I can wear them! When I'm wearing them I think about how I used to feel like a stuffed sausage in them and now I can walk uphill so much easier, and last longer on the treadmill or elliptical. They make me feel good. Yep.

Now, that said, I'm not sure I'm quite ready for a cropped top or exercise "bra" type thing. lol. But I can definitely understand feeling great in it. Maybe I'll get there someday.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I 'like' people noticing me but I NEED them too because I run outside with my dog. She even has her own bright colored reflective vest!

2e5krit6dpmr.jpg

She motivates me more than any clothes ever will.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Would pet :smiley:
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Tri suits and cycling suits are tight spandex sort of affairs. There was a desire to keep as far away as possible from that type clothing in the past.

I wear it now and don't even think about it. It shows even a 3 pound gain in the gut. Of course I don't like a gut on me and work to lean down not fatten up!

For gym days I wear swim trunks and some compression t shirt with sleeves. Sometimes long sleeves. Almost always black or navy blue

They do as a great base layer under a cycling jersey on cool days

No bright colored stuff, no tank tops or wife beater shirts

Workout shoes are black or black and some red.

I do see lots of people that pull off the bright coordinated outfits at the gym. They can look great doing it.

Some even come in with a perfectly made up face and coordinated outfit, hit a few machines and call it good.

More power to them for doing what they want.

Gym clothes are good. It is part of a new lifestyle of fitness.

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

@rabbitjb She would totally enjoy it. She LOVES meeting new people and other animals.
    Sometimes she stops right in her tracks mid-run to sniff someone new and it's like dragging a 60 pound weight until she gets her head back in the game. :lol:
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I started getting results, I did buy new gym wear, it kept me going and motivated (new bright coloured shoes, way to go!). Wear whatever makes you happy & comfortable. If you got it, show it, there is nothing wrong with it. Gym wear is one way to reward oneself for sweating it out. :)
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

jdtami0hxgf1.jpg

Happy people! Cycling is fun, recently got a bike and I'm loving it o:) .
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

@rabbitjb She would totally enjoy it. She LOVES meeting new people and other animals.
    Sometimes she stops right in her tracks mid-run to sniff someone new and it's like dragging a 60 pound weight until she gets her head back in the game. :lol:

I tried to take my dog running @lilaclovebird

He loves running...chases every squirrel in sight

I did want to go to the gym, but it was sunny and I thought ..oh well, give it a go

I start jogging, he stood there, tilted his head and went "WTF?"

I shall stick to the gym
  • Lola753
    Lola753 Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I found that wearing exercise clothes helps with motivation. If your goal is to go to the gym 3 times a week, wear exercise clothes 3 times a week with the intention of opening the door and go. Set an intention to what you do, it helps to move from the "thought" to the "action"