WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Bossman brought Almond Joy bars that he had leftover from Halloween to my office today. Lord help me!
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, things are difficult at the workplace! You have to simply walk away...
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Terri – Dang! You sure do seem to have good luck in winning things.

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are 2 cubes away. I don’t need any. I don’t need any. I don’t need any. I don’t need any.

Mia in MI
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    welcome.gifSusan, I started on MFP in 2009 and began by logging all my food, no matter what the calories and nutrition. I learned from my logging, what to eliminate and I learned from reading and the experience of others what was best to eat. I learned from my own experience what I couldn't eat in moderation and kept those foods out of my house. I got my weight down from 183 to 110 which was the top item on my bucket list and then three health care professionals told me to gain weight so now I maintain at 125 plus or minus 2 pounds. I have logged my food and exercise almost every day since February 2009. To me, weighing and measuring food and logging it is no more OCD than a diabetic who checks her blood sugar regularly. You are so right about getting a healthy pattern of eating for each day.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont116008.gif
  • srobertson47
    srobertson47 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Susan I am 52 years old and i am tired of losing the same 5 pounds over and over cause i cant seen to find the motativation to stay on course and lose the weight I am joining this group for support I know there is no magic pills or any magicial advise that anyone can give to help me lose this weight its going to take me exercising self control and a willingness to do what it take for me to lose the weight i am open for all advice
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Terri- I think we should all chip in a dollar it if you buy lottery tickets for our group! You are such a lucky lady!

Pip - you and Kirby look fantastic! It looks like your group really enjoyed the race. You will have to tell us all about your weekend.

I am outside painting the trim on the garage! That is part of my exercise for the day. I already did 20 minutes of kettle bell swings, single arm, 10 pound weight. When I'm done with the trim I am going to go on a 5 mile walk. Move more eat less and most of all I think the key is eating healthy food not processed or full of sugar.

bvhw9zeqm7z5.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Awesome Barbie; it works!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lisa - thanks for sharing your pictures of transformation!
    Susan - Welcome, every day is a new step toward the new you. Try to log in everyday as these ladies are so very positive and supporting, it will help to keep you on your path. Read the earlier posts by susb from this month, they are very helpful.

Goals - weigh less at the end of Nov than now, 5 items daily into the passon bag, study daily toward certification, positive reaffirmations at start of day.
    (Met my goals for weighing daily, water intake, exercise daily). Step away from processed foods, today my weight is back to what it was averaging during the summer.
    Realized that much of my life has been a passive reaction, and that is changing.

Linda in Calif
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Karen NY – I totally agree with you that the British Baking show is so much more civilized

Jenna – welcome… you can dump all the stress and worries here, we pile them in the white space on the pages, and then sweep them away! LOL

Margaret – I love your choice to share what happened, they may close ranks, but if you go with just the idea of training, then it is not your worry what their response is. *** Later – wow that went great! Good job on talking to the DR.

SRR65 – if you post here we all see it… if you go to your home page and private message someone then just they see it.

Miriam – Love it!!! I was in England in 1990 for 5 weeks and had learned a huge number of words with different meanings, but trousers was a new one…

Georgia Peach and others - there can be a tax advantage to not selling until the older person has passed, it really depends on your situation, we faced this in my family a few years ago and it saved the heirs about $50,000 in taxes to wait. So my suggestion is spend a few minutes with a tax professional for info as you make those decisions.

The comments on Math, daily logging and slow and steady are all right on! Also falling off the wagon happens but that is not the end, just a reason to stand up shake it off and get back on the wagon. Alcohol is a problem for many as it has so many non-nutritious calories so limiting or eliminating is good, I do love my wine, and have learned to do it as a spritzer with club soda or other sparkling water - the calories are ½ right away…

It started raining last night around 11pm, I fell asleep to pitter patter of rain, and woke up to it too! Levi and I walked in it for 45 minutes, and about 11am it stopped – that is our longest rain storm in what seems like forever! Easily a year!

November Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening (October 3 out of 4)
    Walk everyday – Oct. 125 mile (but lost 4 days with no computer)- would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 –
    W2-
    W3-
    W4
    Kim from N. California
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Georgia Peach, I know well the worry about whether the state will take the house after your mom passes. I am on Medicaid for Employed Persons with Disabilities, and part of the initial paperwork said that the state would recoup their payments from my estate when I die. The problem for me with that idea is that my son is also disabled, and I am hoping to leave everything in a trust for his "special needs"- what his SSI payments of a bit over $700 a month won't cover. A special needs trust cannot be used for routine expenses, and for SSI he cannot have assets over $2000 INCLUDING a vehicle!. But it might pay for a trip to visit relatives occasionally or some of the other things I can help him with now ( a new winter coat or boots for instance or education costs). My other two sons are doing fine with decent jobs, so are not depending on any inheritance from me. And my girls will inherit from their grandmother who is wealthy. I understand the reasoning behind the law being set up the way it is, but the implementation of it needs to be case specific.

Oh, for the MEPD program, employment can be a few hours a month. So my being the Representative Payee for my friend (managing his Social Security money for him), and taking him to doctor appointments, the dental clinic, helping with car issues, etc. qualifies.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Katla-I never noticed all the toes on that kitten before!! We ended up going to our grocery store up the street and sitting outside for a bit and they all went to great homes! I think she had 3-4 kittens I can't recall exactly though.
    Oh today after my 4 mile walk with a TOPS pal, (there is 40 in the group but only 2 of us walking today...that is just sad, on a sunny day too), husband took me for BRA SHOPPING. I ended up getting a Playtex "Play" style. Durable straps, in a comfortable fabric, with none of myself escaping out anywhere. Husband stood outside my door because he wanted to see. Also he said its cute how I talk to myself and making little exclamations of "oh sheesh, what the hecks, or nope nope". The teddy I did try on, but my boobs kept escaping from the underside....that was a giggly moment... It was a buy one, get the 2nd one for $5, so I bought two for $47.00 not bad. After that, we went to Subway and I got a 6" turkey sub. I got my hair trimmed but the lady ragged on me about my hair being dry from all my pool swimming, and she didn't talk much. She just got in her ZONE and so I did too. It was relaxing though.
    Everyone have a splendid week, doing what you are doing and loving our Greek Goddessness about us!

Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Do not let the holidays define my actions. Holidays are more in the moment then re-creating the past. I will not give in to baking my childhood

This is a goal that Becca posted and I thought it was so wonderful that I wanted to post it again to remind myself and to share with others. :)<3

you quote me? *nice sigh* I feel special thanks friend!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    7prsikp0s5q1.jpeg

Happy happy faces on happy, happy loving people. A privilege to know ya Pip! ((((((Oregonian wet hugs!!))))
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    alerica1 wrote: »
    Bossman brought Almond Joy bars that he had leftover from Halloween to my office today. Lord help me!

oooh RUN... FLEE....chocolate almonds and coconut are the DEVIL SPAWN. REALLY :-)
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    Hi my name is Susan I am 52 years old and i am tired of losing the same 5 pounds over and over cause i cant seen to find the motativation to stay on course and lose the weight I am joining this group for support I know there is no magic pills or any magicial advise that anyone can give to help me lose this weight its going to take me exercising self control and a willingness to do what it take for me to lose the weight i am open for all advice

Hello Susan and welcome! You can unload any mental baggage on the white part of this page, just stack it up. We have people that know people that clean that part when we aren't looking! When I joined at the beginning of the summer, I found this place to be like visiting your favorite Aunts, Grandmothers, Sisters, place. That comfortable feeling when whatever you want to say is accepted. There is a saying "Reality happens when you are busy making plans", and that is evident here. Each of us is on its own journey but hey it takes a village to move a mountain, so vent, (I have :-) My motto, (and I have a LOT of them) is "I say what I mean and I mean what I say". I try to be accountable, and present throughout my day. I don't dwell on the past, or beat myself up about it, I move forward. Stress has a way of having a hold on you, and can fuel life. I don't let it have power. I have put up my November goals and say them often. I have them on the wall in my kitchen. I don't let life pass me by while I am getting my life in order. So today I bought the big semi of a bra, and I shall be comfortable. I try to walk about the world like I have already lost all my weight already. If I am going to say what I mean and mean what I say, then I have to start by how I move right? I can't just talk about losing weight, I have to live it.
    Good meeting you.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Gloria I love the idea of a gratitude journal. I use to write five things I was grateful for each day in my diary, but have got out of the habit. Love Deepak and Oprah. Just found her site on the internet last week, and I get LinkedIn updates from Deepak.

Pip You are amazing. Such a good looking couple too!

There is so much motivational info here. I also had to change my mindset from 'being on a diet' to 'making a lifestyle change'. I have no forbidden foods. However, my choices have changed radically since I started logging and monitoring my intake. I have had to find healthy alternatives for those things I didn't choose to do without, and accept that I had weigh and measure every bite as my guestimates were extremely inaccurate.

Once I had got my head round the eating part, I addressed the exercise part, and began doing a wider variety of types of exercise for strength and flexibility as well as cardio. I found that some of the team challenges on the community pages were a great help with this. I used Game of Thrones to build up my muscle strength prior to my recent surgery. Team Challenges appeal to my competitive side. I am motivated to do more exercise so that the team does well. I seldom eat my exercise calories back.

Plateauing is a problem, but if you are patient, the weigh eventually begins to move again. As some of the others say it's a matter of the Maths and the CICO balance.

smiley-happy110.gif

:heart: (((Hugs))) and prayers for those who need them. :heart:

:star: Welcome to our Newbies! You will find a warm support team here! :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri
  • Annr
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Irish Terri.....Those wave dudes are HYPNOTIC .... :-) ((((hugs))))) back at ya!
    Becca
    an Oregonian cog
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey Gals
    I'm much better today after a nine hour sleep and a brilliant visit with my daughter. She and I caught up, took the pigs up the street and got doggie pets from many neighbors, went over her budget, raided my pantry, and she caught up on her laundry. I treated us to breakfast sandwiches from Dunks for brunch.
    Another reason I was down was paperwork I had gotten from SOcial Security about my return to work program. I've been worried about keeping under the limit of earning $1090 per month and October had three pay dates. Soooo depending on how they calculate monthly earnings I could have PT worked myself out of my main source of income. God I hope not. So then this form comes that I was expecting to officially report the Whole Foods earnings and on it was my third party sick pay from a policy I bought when I was employed with Harvard. Immediately I panicked thinking OMG if they count this I am totally over the limit. They will not only cancel my SSDI but probably retroactively take back Sept and Oct disbursement from my bank account. Which is not in there or anywhere for that matter. Sooo I googled does third party insurance sick pay count as earnings towards SSDI working limits and Wala! Big official document from SS clearly stating it does not! Thank God! So now I just have to worry about the third payment in October thing. Much better. Okay done on that topic. Thanks for all the caring comments.
    Mindy from boston