November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    4.6 km run @ 2015hrs using a headlamp. Pitch black. Daylight Savings + Family Duties = Running in the Dark.Just learned that I suffer from Mild Vertigo when I try to run in the dark with a headlamp.Not a good feeling and it caused me to cut my run short.
    I can't run with headlamps at all - somehow, the light bounces around on the ground in a way which I can't stand. Since winter means running in the dark for me on working days, no lamp is not an option. But I found out that holding a small flashlight in my hand works much better than the headlamps. Maybe worth a try for you as well?

@Stoshew71 Lots of spooky great photos, looks like everyone had fun.

@smithie092015 Wow, 2 minutes of your 10k time, that's awesome!

@Stoshew71 @skippygirlsmom @7lenny7 thank you for the "welcome back"!

First run for this month, still trying to find good running routes in my new area. I thought I had found a nice path, but maybe not all of it was a "path" after all. It grew narrower and narrower, until I was trapped between a fenced pasture with cows on one side and a tall hedge on the other. There was so little space I twice touched the electric fence by accident, which was definitely not fun. I ended up carefully walking until I was out in the open again...
    Still, the parts where there was more space were very scenic, especially with the sunset.
    rdtpen2vz2mo.jpg

exercise.png
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Going for 40 miles this month.
    exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    November Challenge 2015 - 110km
    01/11 - 5k run – 5k
    02/11 – 2k walk - 7k
    03/11 – REST DAY

One question I have about a HM.. Please don't shoot me lol but are there a lot of people who walk it too? I am considering it.. Was thinking maybe I could run 10k, then walk for a little, run for a little until the finish.. but I don't want to be in the way or anything and not sure if I should sign up if I plan on walking some?

@ellerist Hi and welcome! :smile: 75 miles is a great goal!
    @5BeautifulDays Sorry your run got cut short from the rain. I second what you said about running improving balance! I have noticed a lot lately that I can hop/jump and don't feel so clumsy and feel as if I'm going to fall flat on my face :smiley:
    @Aresende90 Gorgeous dog! I wear sleeves too for my shins! How comfortable are they!! :smile:
    @snha You have beautiful kids! I love their costumes too! Very cute!
    @helen2307 60 miles is a great goal! That's great that you are getting back into running :smiley:
    @Virkati That's great about the shorter stride not feeling like as much work!
    @hbrittingham Hope your pup has a speedy recovery!
    @7lenny7 Fantastic that you were only a little sore - I would take that as your body being well prepared! :smile:
    @9voice9 Awesome news that you smashed last months goal!
    @danipatt1216 how good does it feel to run 30 minutes straight?! :smiley: Good for you! You should celebrate! I remember my first 30 minutes straight and I was over the moon!
    @Stoshew71 and @skippygirlsmom Loved the photos! @skippygirlsmom Your Skip looks so happy running! What a natural! About the shoes, I've worn them for a few months now so no chance of returning them. I bought them on sale though so it's okay. I am hesitant on wearing them but I don't really have a choice as I don't have the money to buy the Asics outright. Just have to see how I go with the inserts in the nikes for now.
    @ddmom0811 Eek bears! Hope you never have to encounter one yourself!
    @smithie092015 Congrats on your 10k time! Way to go!!
    @karllundy The Asics Cumulus were recommended to me months ago but I just couldn't afford them at the time. I picked up a pair of Nikes Pegasus because they were on sale and had similarities to the Cumulus, though I've found they are definitely lacking in the arch support and my feet are not happy with me. I'm trying some inserts in the Nikes for the time being.. Hoping to get a bit more wear out of them until I've paid for the Asics.
    @gaelicstorm26 Welcome! I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is fast!
    @beachhouse758 Congrats on the 20 minutes!!!!!! Fantastic effort!
    @Somebody_Loved How funny is it that we are even wearing the same shoes!! How did you find the Pegasus? They felt great at first I found though lately my arches are really killing after running in them? I've only had them for a few months so I have no idea why this is just happening! I was told Brooks Ghosts or Asics Cumulus too.. But the Cumulus felt more comfy and because I'm still at home with my youngest, the Asics were cheaper (even though I still have to pay them off lol)

I think I've caught up now lol
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1 - 3.81 C25k W1 D3
    11//2 - 3.3 walking

exercise.png
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    November goal— somewhere between 100 and 140 km

11/1—rest
    11/2—
    11/3—5 km
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1: 22 miles
    11/2: 5 miles recovery style

Two days into the month, and I'm 1/6 of the way through my miles. Too bad this momentum won't keep! ;)

Nice and easy recovery today. Decided to run in the afternoon instead of the morning because my hip flexors were sore when I rolled out of bed. I figured that the walk to and from campus would stretch them out, and I was right. Legs felt pretty fresh once I got around to running. All nagging aches were gone by the time I finished the run. Feelin' good!

27/150

exercise.png
  • emmargest
    emmargest Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in (and new!) for this challenge! My November goal is going to be 40 miles. I've been having a hard time actually getting out there regularly--so hopefully this will help me with some consistency!! :)

11/02--2.18miles
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

11/1 - 5.62 miles (3.18 running, 2.44 walking) This was 5to10K week 1, day 1 (as you can see, I jog slowly and this was the first time I actually jogged 5K since starting C25K)
    11/2 - 5.13 miles walking + weights/TRX with trainer

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    November Challenge 2015 - 110km
    01/11 - 5k – 5k
    02/11 – 2k walk - 7k
    03/11 – REST DAY

One question I have about a HM.. Please don't shoot me lol but are there a lot of people who walk it too? I am considering it.. Was thinking maybe I could run 10k, then walk for a little, run for a little until the finish.. but I don't want to be in the way or anything and not sure if I should sign up if I plan on walking some?
    @karef there are a lot of people who do run walk intervals. My neighbor has done 2 HM (maybe 3) and has never run an entire one. She does intervals like run 4 miles walk 1 or 2 then run 4 more or something like that. You will not be in anyone's way. Some races have pace groups and you can start with say the 3:15 pace group if you think that is where you would end up. If I'm not mistaken a pace group like that would do intervals, someone who has paced can correct me on that one. If there are not pacers, you can just sorta head to 3/4 the way back of the field at the start and ask people "how long do you think it'll take you, I'm looking for a good place to start". Other races will have corrals with times so that walkers or slower runners will not be upfront and having people dodge them. the only thing that will ticked the heck out of people is if you start near the front and start to walk after a mile. Also remember if you are going to walk, move to the side of the road before doing so don't just start to walk in the middle of traffic. When Skip and I run races I usually start in the middle and she starts upfront. One thing you might want to check is if the race has a time limit, if you can't meet that limit then I would wait until I could before registering or find another race. Stoshew71 and I are running the same HM this month, he'll be starting closer to the front, I'll be in the middle somewhere and he'll be home and showered before I'm done. It's the nature of the long race. Like most races HM and under, you'll find people who want to win, people who want to run the whole time, people who want to just finish and people who want to have a good time. All are usually welcome.

@juliet3455 thank you!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @kareF - Haha, we're living parallel running lives. :) When I decided on the Pegasus it was literally because they were on sale and I liked the colors. That's all I really took into consideration as I wasn't as serious about running at the time. After seeing my chiropractor last week, though, he pointed out a lot of my problems could be from my shoes (which I never really considered). I'm really interested to see if the Brooks make a difference for me - if not, I'll definitely give the Asics a try.
  • Virkati
    Options
    @kareF - Haha, we're living parallel running lives. :) When I decided on the Pegasus it was literally because they were on sale and I liked the colors. That's all I really took into consideration as I wasn't as serious about running at the time. After seeing my chiropractor last week, though, he pointed out a lot of my problems could be from my shoes (which I never really considered). I'm really interested to see if the Brooks make a difference for me - if not, I'll definitely give the Asics a try.

Was told by some of the runners on here a few months back that some of the physical problems I was having might be related to my shoes. So, I had my gait analyzed and was told I'm a heel strike and a neutral pronation. The first shoes brought out were Brooks and omg it felt like I had found heaven for my feet. I tried on others, none of them came even close to how good the Brooks felt and at checkout I found out they were half price. Made the girl go get me a second pair and I just don't know what I'd do without them. SO many issues fell by the wayside after getting the RIGHT shoes!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @Virkati - That is so encouraging to hear! My Brooks get here tomorrow and I can't wait to try them! Did you need to ease into them at all or did you start running with them no matter the distance right away?
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 2.94 miles
    11/2 - 1.32 miles

Total: 4.26/30

Only went for a jog around the track today.. ugh
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @karef there are a lot of people who do run walk intervals. My neighbor has done 2 HM (maybe 3) and has never run an entire one. She does intervals like run 4 miles walk 1 or 2 then run 4 more or something like that. You will not be in anyone's way. Some races have pace groups and you can start with say the 3:15 pace group if you think that is where you would end up. If I'm not mistaken a pace group like that would do intervals, someone who has paced can correct me on that one. If there are not pacers, you can just sorta head to 3/4 the way back of the field at the start and ask people "how long do you think it'll take you, I'm looking for a good place to start". Other races will have corrals with times so that walkers or slower runners will not be upfront and having people dodge them. the only thing that will ticked the heck out of people is if you start near the front and start to walk after a mile. Also remember if you are going to walk, move to the side of the road before doing so don't just start to walk in the middle of traffic. When Skip and I run races I usually start in the middle and she starts upfront. One thing you might want to check is if the race has a time limit, if you can't meet that limit then I would wait until I could before registering or find another race. Stoshew71 and I are running the same HM this month, he'll be starting closer to the front, I'll be in the middle somewhere and he'll be home and showered before I'm done. It's the nature of the long race. Like most races HM and under, you'll find people who want to win, people who want to run the whole time, people who want to just finish and people who want to have a good time. All are usually welcome.

Thank you!! You are totally awesome! I hadn't even thought of checking for cut off times - eep! Still a bit to learn/pick up on! Thanks so much for the info - Checking with other runners for their expected finish times is a good one I'll keep in mind! A friend and her family are doing a HM next year and I have been thinking about it, but still not 100%.. I would like to, though I think I just want to try increase distance a little first to see what I can do :smile: Just good to know that I can walk a little, if need be too!

Love it!! Parallel running lives! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Was told by some of the runners on here a few months back that some of the physical problems I was having might be related to my shoes. So, I had my gait analyzed and was told I'm a heel strike and a neutral pronation. The first shoes brought out were Brooks and omg it felt like I had found heaven for my feet. I tried on others, none of them came even close to how good the Brooks felt and at checkout I found out they were half price. Made the girl go get me a second pair and I just don't know what I'd do without them. SO many issues fell by the wayside after getting the RIGHT shoes!

I have been to a few people for shoes over the past few years but my problem at the time was shin splints and I was told constantly "you're wearing the wrong shoes, you need these.." only to find the shin splints got worse and be told "no, no, not those shoes - you need these" Imagine how I felt when I bought the most expensive shoes (Brooks DNA) that I could afford at the time only to find my shin splints get worse?

So here I was thinking it was the shoes.. when in reality it was the way I was running - My stride was way way too big, my calves were not balanced or strong enough - A video of my legs even prooved my feet nearly crossed over so I was nearly tripping myself. So I wore the brooks into the ground walking, gave up on running because I couldn't move past the leg pain and had no idea what I was doing wrong (well, I did.. but had no idea how to fix it because I had no one to show me how I go about fixing it!)

Then I bought a cheap pair of Fila's which, I can't even describe the amount of pain they left me in.
    Then I got the Pegasus, after hearing they had similarities to the Asics which were good - once I learnt how to run!!! Though are now causing arch pain.. I'm not sure if it's because my arches are weak or if it's the lack of support or what - but the guy at the running store was demonstrating stability and when he completely twisted the shoe like he was wringing water from it - I was completely mortified! So I wouldn't be surprised if this is what is killing my arches in the slightest!

Finally, I've now decided to layby the shoes I was meant to get in the first place!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Missed October goal by 5 miles so raising the November goal a bit.
    exercise.png

• ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Mild night, not too many piles of leaves. I used my husband's headlamp and it sure beat holding a flashlight!
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm going to aim for 50 miles this month. There's a lot of distractions/travels/life stuff, but I'm hoping
    I'll manage to make it. It should only be a couple of extra runs compared to last month.

11/2 5 miles out of a goal of 50 miles.
  • Virkati
    Options
    @Virkati - That is so encouraging to hear! My Brooks get here tomorrow and I can't wait to try them! Did you need to ease into them at all or did you start running with them no matter the distance right away?

@Somebody_Loved ....I was having so many painful issues that I couldn't start running in them right away. But I DID do a lot of walking at first. I can't even tell you how much better I felt afterwards compared to being in the wrong shoe. Within about two weeks of getting the shoes I was jogging and not hating every minute and wanting to quit. Within a month all I wanted to do was run but I have to be mindful that my body simply hasn't caught up with my head yet! Now running isn't painful. I might get sore, but I'm not in pain. I love the shoes. I can't bear the thought that they might ever stop making them lol.
  • Virkati
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Virkati wrote: »

Finally, I've now decided to layby the shoes I was meant to get in the first place!

@kareF That's what the people here on this forum told me to do. I had to save my money for a few months because I just didn't have the money to spend at least $150 for a pair of shoes. That's why when I found out the Brooks were half off I had to buy two pairs!! But now that I've learned what a good fit and a good shoe is...the price I paid was a bargain! And I won't flinch at the price again. I'll spend what it takes to keep me pain free :wink: