Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• staindgirl116
    staindgirl116 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    I am a huge book worm too. My kids give me so much crap about it. I read every single day. And I tend to panic if I don't have a book to read. I wonder if that is an actual fear. I will read just about anything too. My guilty pleasure is vampire novels. My all time favorite author is JR Ward.
    This is my second go round with MFP. I lost 40 pounds the first time. I am hoping to lose the same this time around.

Have you read the "house of night" series? It is a vampire series and although it is aimed towards teens it is really good. I have forced my mom to buy it for me lol. But it is a long series and it is really good.
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    winklerkn wrote: »
    What kind of genres/authors do you read?

I read just about anything, but mostly fiction. I love novels about dystopian societies and things with a twist of magical realism. I just started Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake".

I'm aiming to log my food everyday and do some sort of physical activity. It's so hard not to cuddle up with a book!

It's nice to "meet" everyone!

Oryx & Crake gave me goosebumps, just read it! I also read The Handmaid's Tale, it made my skin crawl. The ending was amazing.
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP a few times before but life and stress always seemed to get in the way of sticking to my original goal. I'm working to lose weight and treat my body better each day, and would love some motivating friends that could help push me along.

I'm Molly from Chicago. I'm a huge book nerd and into a ton of geeky things.

Another book I HIGHLY recommend is Station Eleven, by Emily St.John Mandel. It blew me away. Similar to Oryx & Crake, I literally cried at some parts.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Urban fantasy, high fantasy, sci-fi, space opera!!! I likes my books.

Enjoying Seanan McGuire (and her writing as Mira Grant), Jim Butcher, Richard Kadrey, Jon Sprunk, and others.

Avid gamer. Well, avid when I have the time, and I don't mean no game console. D&D, WoD (original), Shadowrun. Heck, even some old Battletech. Our newest addiction is X-wing miniatures.
  • ljohnson222
    ljohnson222 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a bookworm and geek. I would love to listen to more audiobooks but they tend to cost a lot of money and I can rarely get to the library. Where does everyone get their audiobooks from? Thanks.
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    I am a bookworm and geek. I would love to listen to more audiobooks but they tend to cost a lot of money and I can rarely get to the library. Where does everyone get their audiobooks from? Thanks.

I download my audiobooks from the library. You don't need to go into the library! Download the Overdrive app, you can then find your library and get your books online.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Me! Feel free to add :)
  • cath1646
    cath1646 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read The Martian during the summer. It was very good with lots of technical stuff and problem solving, so if you like those go for it!
    I also read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and Left for Dead by Beck Weathers which were both about the 1996 Everest disaster - The movie about it came out last month. It was heartbreaking to read but I read Krakauer's last year and re-read it again after watching the movie.

I'm now reading Catcher in the Rye but so far haven't loved it.
  • ljohnson222
    ljohnson222 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    rogue024 wrote: »

I download my audiobooks from the library. You don't need to go into the library! Download the Overdrive app, you can then find your library and get your books online.

Thank you rogue! I just got my library card today! (I recently moved)
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Love reading too. Just finished Whispers in autumn by Trisha Leigh. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series when I can find them.
  • jonicalifornia
    jonicalifornia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love to read. One of my favorites is Diana Gabaldon Outlander Series.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I love to read. One of my favorites is Diana Gabaldon Outlander Series.

Jamie Fraser is my fictional husband.
  • jonicalifornia
    jonicalifornia Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Jamie Fraser is my fictional husband.

LOL!!!!!

• suzannep281
    suzannep281 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Molly, My house is full of books that I can' t wait to read! I have tons of them on my kindle fire and just found a way to borrow them digitally as well!

I am currently reading the goldfinch . Robert Peck as a writer is a lot of fun. I enjoy James Patterson, Mary Higgins-Clark, and Jane Austen. I am also currently reading Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. I enjoy reading books about people who overcome adversity. Books about people who survived the Holocaust interest me. I self published a book of Poetry and I am currently working on an autobiography to leave for future generations in my family. I hope when they read it, it will be like reaching into the past to see that as humans we all go through the same things even in days gone by.

I hope you will friend me as we travel together on this journey of positive changes.

Hope to hear from you........

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I am geeky. I love magical realism. My favorite author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I also like Dostoevsky and James Joyce.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Hi Molly, My house is full of books that I can' t wait to read! I have tons of them on my kindle fire and just found a way to borrow them digitally as well!

I am currently reading the goldfinch . Robert Peck as a writer is a lot of fun. I enjoy James Patterson, Mary Higgins-Clark, and Jane Austen. I am also currently reading Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. I enjoy reading books about people who overcome adversity. Books about people who survived the Holocaust interest me. I self published a book of Poetry and I am currently working on an autobiography to leave for future generations in my family. I hope when they read it, it will be like reaching into the past to see that as humans we all go through the same things even in days gone by.

I hope you will friend me as we travel together on this journey of positive changes.

Hope to hear from you........

I can't wait to hear what you think about The Goldfinch! And I love that you are working on an autobiography, especially for your family. What a gift that will be for them!

I love this thread :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    About to hit my bed but a massive book nerd and a book club member too X
  • JaneDomestic
    JaneDomestic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So happy to find this thread! So many great books mentioned, I see The Martian mentioned frequently so I will be checking that one out.

I love the classics (especially 19th century lit, which is my favorite genre). I also love a good mystery novel and have the complete works of Doyle and Agatha Christie. My guilty pleasure is fantasy/sci-fi, some of my favorite authors being Douglas Adams, Tolkien and Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series).

Please add me if you want to talk about books, video games, or any other geeky wonderful things!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Lifelong reader.
    Currently reading "The Martian". I have about 30 pages left. Going to see the movie on Saturday.
    When I finish "The Martian", I am going back to reading Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" series. I will be on book #5. A co-worker loaned me the whole series.
    I read "The Girl in the Spider's Web", hoping that it would do justice to the trilogy, and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it!
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a former book worm who is trying to get back into reading...I have way different taste than most of you guys lol. I love Debbie macomber and sheryl woods. I'm a romance lover lol. Anyone else?