Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    No bento again today :( but I thought I'd share this article someone shared on fb, which includes links to recipes if anyone wants to try the Miyazaki lifestyle ;)
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinalan/heres-how-to-eat-everything-youve-ever-wanted-fr?bffb&utm_term=.jtzBO2JJ3#.orGGXPZZ7

tumblr_ma9j34paGU1qg8vkwo1_500.gif

RIGHT?!?!

Double Right! Thank you for sharing that link Pixie, so much yummyness.

I do have bento picture, just haven't gotten them off my phone, laziness plus about to bento strike my hubby as he doesn't eat them, forgets to bring them, or returns the boxes to home weeks later. :(
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    I want to let you all know how inspiring this thread has been for me!

I have lost 105 pounds and have about 45 to go. I have been thinking about ways to change my old habits so they don't come back to haunt me later and one of those bad habits is always wanting large portions of foods.

I take my breakfast, lunch and snack with me to work nearly every day and now eat heathy foods. (Especially compared to my old way of having fast food for both breakfast and lunch which got me up to 300 pounds!) But I have always just thrown it in a big plastic container or zip lock bag.

Obviously bento boxes are a great way to be more thoughtful about what I eat. Lots of new choices, variety, beauty and portion control are just what I need at this stage of my journey.

I have been practicing with my regular little plastic containers and now I am ready to invest in some bento beauty!

So I have a question...
    ....what is your favorite box, gadget, or brand of boxes?
    ....if you could have a do over, what piece would you have just not spent the money on?

I don't have a specific favorite box, but I do seem to prefer the two tier boxes over the single tier. My best purchase was my egg shapers, I use those all the time (and they were super cheap). I don't know that I have anything I wouldn't have purchased, but I watched on here to see what people used most. I definitely use some boxes more often than others, but I like having so many to choose from.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    One last bento before my vacation. Tuna salad, bread, apple slices and soup.

kq4m2vs0oe3g.jpg
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    One last bento before my vacation. Tuna salad, bread, apple slices and soup.

kq4m2vs0oe3g.jpg

What kind of bread it that? It's a neat shape :)

Thank you everyone who was concerned on my stolen purse; I appreciate it :)

I have had a few bentos since I last posted, one since I got my replacement phone, but I haven't posted. Sad panda. I haven't been home much to cook or bento-ize my lunches though and have been leaning heavily on my free meals at work (yay for working food service, boo to the food not always being great). As it gets colder I'm switching gears though to weekly-made soups and hot meals; microwavable bentos here I come!

Hope you are all doing well my bento friends!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses about your favourite bento boxes and extras.

I decided to buy a cheaper set from the grocery store. I used it today and it was just right. I plan to ask my family for some fancy Monbento stuff for Christmas.

I cleaned out a drawer in my kitchen to store everything and FOUND a couple of tiny cutters that would have worked on my peppers this morning...but I forgot...so sad.

I don't know how to post pictures yet. The instruction seem to be written in a language foreign to me. I will have to get my kids to help me figure it out.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the inspiration! I have a beautiful and healthy breakfast and lunch today!

• nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Babi Bento went to work with me again. He was slightly miffed I had not been paying him due attention so he got geared up, snorting, "I am armed and dangerous!"

And dangerous he was because inside was a cauliflower mash that should be labelled a weapon of mash destruction.

It was supposed to be a healthy cauliflower mash to go with the spicy marinated, grilled cod fish fillet. Healthy ... rrrrright. Not after I added loads of mozzarella, butter and a dollop of tomato & mascarpone sauce. Not even the chiffonade of basil and brave cherry tomato backed up by the teeny tiny cherry apple, could make this mash a healthy choice.

Babi Bento ... I surrender. You win.
    calndu1bar84.jpg
    o6793q2ivob2.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited November 2015
    Options

I decided to buy a cheaper set from the grocery store. I used it today and it was just right. I plan to ask my family for some fancy Monbento stuff for Christmas.

I cleaned out a drawer in my kitchen to store everything and FOUND a couple of tiny cutters that would have worked on my peppers this morning...but I forgot...so sad.

I don't know how to post pictures yet. The instruction seem to be written in a language foreign to me. I will have to get my kids to help me figure it out.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the inspiration! I have a beautiful and healthy breakfast and lunch today!

I got my monbento on a massive clearance, but I do have to say, while the box is super high quality, its probably my least used one. It's kinda big. The sizes are all listed in in liter and mililiter which makes it hard for me to gauge size and melts my little Imperial American brain. Just make sure when you pick a Monbento to carefully check the volume compared to what you're using now.

xuo5l0zwrl9u.jpg

• bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'm not very good at metric either. My kids were learning how to make conversions recently and my brain started to hurt just trying to help them!

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I got my monbento on a massive clearance, but I do have to say, while the box is super high quality, its probably my least used one. It's kinda big. The sizes are all listed in in liter and mililiter which makes it hard for me to gauge size and melts my little Imperial American brain. Just make sure when you pick a Monbento to carefully check the volume compared to what you're using now.

xuo5l0zwrl9u.jpg

The only imperial conversion I'm not good with is Km's to miles; probably because it's the only one I don't have to deal with in Australia. My parents still talk in feet and inches (rulers have cm and inches on them too), and standard cup and glass sizes usually have a fluid ounce size listed on them, since standard beer glass sizes all use the old rules (pot, middy, schooner, pint, wtf?).

For mls, it may be quicker in your head to use cups for a rough estimate. 1 cup = 250mls. 4 cups = 1 litre. I get frustrated when the websites only list the boxes dimensions and nothing else. Grrrr.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

xuo5l0zwrl9u.jpg

The only imperial conversion I'm not good with is Km's to miles; probably because it's the only one I don't have to deal with in Australia. My parents still talk in feet and inches (rulers have cm and inches on them too), and standard cup and glass sizes usually have a fluid ounce size listed on them, since standard beer glass sizes all use the old rules (pot, middy, schooner, pint, wtf?).

For mls, it may be quicker in your head to use cups for a rough estimate. 1 cup = 250mls. 4 cups = 1 litre. I get frustrated when the websites only list the boxes dimensions and nothing else. Grrrr.

I'm okay with the conversions (mostly) and I prefer to weigh food in grams (but me in pounds!) I just can't visualize something like a km, or the volume of a liter. Centimeters wig me out. I bought something online in cm (thinking inches) and it was sooo tiny! They teach us metric in schools, but I think that's only to keep us from embarrasing ourselves when we travel outside the country :lol:
  • mangrothian
    Options

xuo5l0zwrl9u.jpg

I'm okay with the conversions (mostly) and I prefer to weigh food in grams (but me in pounds!) I just can't visualize something like a km, or the volume of a liter. Centimeters wig me out. I bought something online in cm (thinking inches) and it was sooo tiny! They teach us metric in schools, but I think that's only to keep us from embarrasing ourselves when we travel outside the country :lol:
    There's a joke in there somewhere about how you say it's in inches, but it looks like it's in cm to me *wink wink nudge nudge nudge say no more*

I finally a) made a bento and b) actually remembered to take a pic
    cz4w8576d22e.jpeg
    Chicken karaage, marinated egg, pumpkin in honey and chilli, rice, umeboshi & veg. Nom nom nom!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Bento of the day!haejj19ivyjm.jpg

Pickles, almonds, egg, cheese and sausage!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Today's first bento in a while! Matcha soba & broccoli on the bottom tier, pink shrimp, dry roasted edamame and candy corn in the top tier.

7kd2v13rcgcx.jpg
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My Bento for tomorrow is filled with traditional austrian food ;)

na373s8wpdag.jpg
  • bluefish86
    Options
    Today's trio of bento-y goodness....h3ox2plt7c1r.jpg
    Salad with chopped egg, almonds, Greek yogurt with cinnamon and a babybel cheese!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Salad with chopped egg, almonds, Greek yogurt with cinnamon and a babybel cheese!

I think I miss yoghurt the most out of all dairy; you pic is making my mouth water. Thankfully I don't have to give up on milk in my coffee.

I think my bentoing will be continue to be sporadic until my events part of the year is over at the end of November; I'm getting home too late and sleep is minimal at best. Today is a bagged salad, tinned salmon and marinated eggs :(
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    FINALLY got a bento! Leftover carnitas, veggies, and spanish rice in the big tier. Small tier has a scoop of frozen veggies (b/c I'm out of all other things) that has slowly melted. The strawberries were still good, cherries were okay, and the one blueberry in there....yeah, I can only imagine that's what potpourri tastes like....
    maohwgdnuk5q.jpg
  • bluefish86
    Options

I think I miss yoghurt the most out of all dairy; you pic is making my mouth water. Thankfully I don't have to give up on milk in my coffee.

I think my bentoing will be continue to be sporadic until my events part of the year is over at the end of November; I'm getting home too late and sleep is minimal at best. Today is a bagged salad, tinned salmon and marinated eggs :(

Why no yogurt? Are you lactose intolerant?

Don't fret over throw-together lunches... Half of mine are made of ready made stuff I've got hanging around in the fridge (and quite often it's just salad leaves, tinned fish and a pickled egg). :lol:

Today's bento is leftover lamb with salad, picked eggs and babybels...
    vsc51wcjoexl.jpg
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've got soup bento today for lunch; I'll see if it is worth a picture then :)

Happy bentos all!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    My "bento" is in a regular container today, and is the same foods I had in the big tier yesterday but twice as much
    l2ucr1b0nwhy.jpg