November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    10/2 5 miles
    10/3 3.5 miles for a total of 8.5 miles out of a goal of 50 miles.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    5km yesterday if we're counting walk/runs. 2km was running. Would have been all running but my 15yo daughter came with me, ran too dam fast then died so I had to walk the other 3km with her lol.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    5.6 km run in the Dark. NO VERTIGO B) . -4c and 10km wind, Windchill ~ -12C.
    I think the reason I got Vertigo on my last night run was that my Headlamp was to low on my Forehead causing my cheeks and nose to be illuminated by the secondary beam causing my eyes to struggle to stay focused on the ground in front of me. Tonight had the light further up on my Head so the primary light was hitting the trail further ahead and the secondary about 1-2m in front of me.
    exercise.png
    11/01 – 4.6 Km – 4.6km – 135.4 Km
    11/03 – 5.6 Km – 10.2km – 129.8 Km
    @7lenny7 Finally someone who has more Shoes than me. 1 active Saucony, 1 active Mizuno and 2 in reserve.
    Virkati wrote: »
    But now that I've learned what a good fit and a good shoe is...the price I paid was a bargain! And I won't flinch at the price again. I'll spend what it takes to keep me pain free :wink:
    The best lesson that any runner ( athlete ) can possibly learn, no matter what the sport is.

@emmab0902 Your daughter needs some coaching/guidance from skippy @skippysmom. Sounds like the normal youthful exuberance.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 have you looked at running warehouse.com? They have sales a few times a year and if you buy two pairs on sale you get an extra 20% off. I like Hoka One Ones and they aren't cheap but I buy them this way and get a years worth all at once.

exercise.png

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 75 miles

11/1 4.42
    11/2 rest
    11/3 3.18

Upcoming races:
    11/7 Sunrise Athletics 10k
    11/15 Las Vegas RocknRoll 1/2 marathon
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon

Total 7.6

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    All of this shoe talk got me looking at my mileage, and I realized I'll need to start breaking in a new pair for my next marathon cycle, so I snagged some ASICS Nimbus 17s (amazon veterans week sale for $92 for one color combination). I've been pretty much only wearing ASICS Nimbus/Cumulus for longer runs, and the Duomax Models (DS Lite & Noosa) for my shorter speedwork runs. I haven't paid over $80/pair in a long time (as I'll scour sales for the models I need), but mostly stick with those Asics as I have a neutral gait, but a wide front of my foot, and the Cumulus/Nimbus molds seem to be better for that shape and hold up for 300-400 miles.

Wimped out and did a light recovery run on the treadmill before lifting this AM ("feels like 104 degrees" outside at noon according to my weather app), then did my speedwork tonight outside as it finally dropped to 79 w. 82% humidity by 9PM. Given my pace at my target heart rate in tonight's weather, I'm thinking a sub 1:35 HM might be doable in Vegas in another week, but I'll play it by ear and try to do some speedwork early in the AM early next week to better calibrate my pace.

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - 4 miles
    11/3 - 9 miles

Total: 17 miles
    Target: 220 miles
    Remaining: 203 miles
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    b26mfoe7qja2.jpg

this amuses me so much- also I've always wanted to ask "what's everyone's favorite mile spot"

because honestly CVS- once I hit CVS- I'm home free- it's such a beautiful point to turn the corner and know I'm 0.9 miles away- less than 10 minutes. WINNING
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 2.94 miles
    11/2 - 1.32 miles
    11/3 - 2 miles

Total: 6.26/30

I convinced myself to sign up for a 5K. Hopefully I can beat my time from the 5K I did last year
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - glad you're not hurt. hope you don't end up sore later! :)
    @Elise4270 - I've never heard of that either, though I haven't actually run that many 10k's honestly. Hope you get an answer soon
    @Somebody_Loved - haha, that's a nice reaction to have about your legs. I hope to have that some day :)
    @JoRocka - I have problems with motivation too if I don't have a race on the horizon. It can be hard
    @Stoshew71 - haha, those are great!
    @juliet3455 - yay no vertigo! :)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    All this shoe talk...I just ordered ANOTHER pair of Glycerins for $70. I now have two active pair, three pair in reserve, and one semi-retired pair which will likely still see service for short runs or winter running.

You're now a collector! :smiley: But at least you are prepared for months of awesome mileage! :star:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    On the price of shoes, keep in mind that once you are fitted in a running store you can usually find last year's model online quite a bit cheaper. Usually the change from one year to another is color and not much more. Skip needed a new pair of shoes on short time and we didn't have time to go to our running store so I ordered them online, they were last year's colors and half what I pay in the store. As a single mom I know how hard it can be to find an "extra" $150 LOL but remember that the right shoes are an investment in your health and fitness :smiley:

This is what I am going to do! I put a deposit on the shoes today and hope to have them paid off in about 6 weeks time. I might try and put some money away each fortnight so i'll have the money for my next pair when it's time to get more - so I'm not stuck paying the shoes off each time. But I will buy the next pair offline, once I know the shoes feel great and do their thang! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Just read your post about running into the electric fence! Ouch! Aside from that though, love the photo of the cows :smile:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    In for 120km this month.

1/11: 16km Total: 16km of 120km

Nice run!! :smiley:
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    nocull wrote: »
    I convinced myself to sign up for a 5K. Hopefully I can beat my time from the 5K I did last year

Fantastic! I just ran my first race last month and had a great time! I can't wait to sign up for more races next year :smile:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@emmab0902 Your daughter needs some coaching/guidance from skippy @skippysmom. Sounds like the normal youthful exuberance.

Lol. She used to always win the school cross country with no training but hasn't run in a while apart from in soccer games.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A bit late to the party but I'd like to sign up for 70km. 5 down!

exercise.png
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 60k. Given my running fitness that's very ambitious but I'm hoping it will help me keep motivated in the cold dark winter evenings.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    In for 120km this month.

Nice run!! :smiley:

Cheers ears!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    3/11: 9km Total: 25km of 120km

Build up / progression runs are back on the menu this week on the training plan. I am trying (and remarkably not failing all that much) to pace by effort rather than checking my flaming watch all the time.

So, I ran 3km at an effort level of 7, 3km at an effort level of 8 and 3km at an effort level of 9 (which was hard but manageable.) I haven't had a chance to look at my splits but the run felt very good overall. I also feel great today and not wiped out which is sweeeet. Recovery seems hard for me in general.

One thing I did notice as I couldn't help taking a peak at my average pace is that it was a smidge quicker than the 10k race I did a few weeks ago (where admittedly I was rather hungover.) However the overall effort level yesterday felt less and more controlled and the recovery feels much easier.

Part of this must be the impact of longer runs and it seems clear to me that my biggest limiting factor at this stage is an under conditioned aerobic ability rather than muscular endurance.

I am progressing a bit at a time though so it's all good.

• JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    9.5 miles last night. Easy pace to recover from weekend half,plus I have a marathon this weekend.