Egg obsessed

Options
I have a sick obsession with eggs. Is that completely horrible. I want to eat them any time for any meal, snackd etc. ..but how much is really too much. I try not to eat the yolk all the time..

Replies

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you have cholesterol problems?

My cholesterol is great, so I don't worry about it. I eat 2 eggs most days, but some days way more (if we are making a pudding, egg salad, etc).
  • wowser5
    wowser5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    eggs are healthy.... unless you have a cholesterol problem I do not see a problem eating them! My trainer said I need to eat more of them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Eggs are healthy even if you have a cholesterol problem. Cholesterol you get from food an no impact on the levels in your blood. And even the levels in your blood are not as important as companies that make statins want you to believe.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Plus they are so versatile. Most of the nutrients and calories are in the yolks so cutting them out occasionally is probably a good idea if you eat loads
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Eggs are healthy even if you have a cholesterol problem. Cholesterol you get from food an no impact on the levels in your blood. And even the levels in your blood are not as important as companies that make statins want you to believe.

Came in to post something similar.
    “About 85 percent of the cholesterol in the circulation is manufactured by the body in the liver,” he says. “It isn’t coming directly from the cholesterol that you eat.”

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

My only issue with eggs is the cost. The price seems to have skyrocketed ( at least where I live). There are so many different things you can make with eggs, I say enjoy your eggs as long as you don't get bored with them. Eggs are a decent source of fats and protein.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

“About 85 percent of the cholesterol in the circulation is manufactured by the body in the liver,” he says. “It isn’t coming directly from the cholesterol that you eat.”

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

My only issue with eggs is the cost. The price seems to have skyrocketed ( at least where I live). There are so many different things you can make with eggs, I say enjoy your eggs as long as you don't get bored with them. Eggs are a decent source of fats and protein.

Cost of eggs are up due to avian flu. They had to kill off thousands of chickens who were infected. I've noticed egg prices are starting to stabilize and may start to trend downwards closer to the holidays :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

Cost of eggs are up due to avian flu. They had to kill off thousands of chickens who were infected. I've noticed egg prices are starting to stabilize and may start to trend downwards closer to the holidays :)

I buy my eggs from the local gas/convenience store. They had them up to $1.99 since August but just recently came down to $1.59. Their usual price is 99¢
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It's best to remember that posters here are random strangers from the internet offering opinion as fact.

The first 2 sentences are not true for everyone, and the last sentence is not aligned with current science and medical recommendations.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I love me some eggs. I regularly have eggs for breakfast then have them for dinner. So yummy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jermzy89 wrote: »
    I have a sick obsession with eggs. Is that completely horrible. I want to eat them any time for any meal, snackd etc. ..but how much is really too much. I try not to eat the yolk all the time..

Eggs are a healthy food for most people in moderation. Eating too much of any food can make your overall diet unbalanced and cause possible nutrient deficiencies.
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How many are you eating a day? Eggs are a great food choice, so unless you're eating cartons at a time you're probably ok :)

I get free range chicken eggs from a relative (for free), and my family of five can go through several dozen a week. I ate 5 egg whites plus1 whole egg that had two yolks in it yesterday myself .
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I ate 8 of them on Sunday. Usually have at least 3 a day. They are the world's most nutritious food!
    Egg yolks are one of the most nutrient-dense, antioxidant-rich and vitamin-laden foods on the planet! (Compared to the yolks, the whites are pretty much protein and water.) Egg yolks contain 90 percent of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, pantothenic acid and B12 of the egg
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

It's best to remember that posters here are random strangers from the internet offering opinion as fact.

The first 2 sentences are not true for everyone, and the last sentence is not aligned with current science and medical recommendations.

Here we go....

Start here and expand as you wish. Even Ancel Keys agreed with my statements.

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/

If you really want to know go here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=cholesterol
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    How many eggs are we talking??

I eat at least 2 per day - sometimes up to 5, and I don't consider that a sick obsession. Eggs are a great way for me to hit my macros.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Here we go....

Start here and expand as you wish. Even Ancel Keys agreed with my statements.

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/

If you really want to know go here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=cholesterol

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/sunny-side-eggs
    You may be surprised to know that dietary cholesterol, found in animal foods, raises blood cholesterol in only about one-third of people. And, as shown in some egg studies, dietary cholesterol causes the body to produce HDL (“good”) cholesterol along with LDL (“bad”) cholesterol in these “hyper-responders,” thus helping offset potential adverse effects. Moreover, the LDL particles 
that form are larger in size—and larger LDL particles are thought to be less dangerous than small ones.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/cholesterol/
    For most people, the amount of cholesterol eaten has only a modest impact on the amount of cholesterol circulating in the blood. (24) For some people, though, blood cholesterol levels rise and fall very strongly in relation to the amount of cholesterol eaten. For these “responders,” avoiding cholesterol-rich foods can have a substantial effect on blood cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, at this point there is no way other than by trial and error to identify responders from non-responders to dietary cholesterol.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    samesies...I could eat them at every meal

hard boiled, egg whites, frittatas, quiche, egg salad, deviled eggs, over easy, poached, scrambled, egg foo young...
  • jermzy89
    jermzy89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No cholesterol problems ..
  • jermzy89
    Options
    Sarajvz wrote: »
    How many are you eating a day? Eggs are a great food choice, so unless you're eating cartons at a time you're probably ok :)

I get free range chicken eggs from a relative (for free), and my family of five can go through several dozen a week. I ate 5 egg whites plus1 whole egg that had two yolks in it yesterday myself .

Im probably at about 2 or 3 a day now... but i want to have them as a snack now and then
  • jermzy89
    Options
    How many eggs are we talking??

I eat at least 2 per day - sometimes up to 5, and I don't consider that a sick obsession. Eggs are a great way for me to hit my macros.

Yay... im about there on some days..lol but ive been keeping it to 2-4
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd say your egg consumption is perfectly fine. It's a great package of protein goodness. The yolk also contains 245 IU of Vitamin A (8% RDA) and .684 mg (3% RDA) of vitamin E. This is totally anecdotal, but I found if I started my day with an egg my blood sugars would be stable for the rest of the day.