why exercise if..

Options

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Exercise is for your health and to help increase the deficit. Lifting, will help you maintain muscle mass, while losing.

I'm going thru some medical stuff, but after its sorted I plan to start lifting. Any suggestions if I don't wanna get a gym membership?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    cheesyP wrote: »
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

I don't exercise to lose weight. My diet is what I use to lose weight.

I exercise to feel good, look good (better), increase my calorie deficit (what I do with that increased deficit is my business) and enjoy the release of endorphins. Perhaps those who question exercise have never experienced this release, just pain and tiredness.
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

Now, habaneros and ghost chilies? Those bring the endorphins.

Yeah my endorphins are broken. Maybe felt it 3x in 2.5 years.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    People say you can lose weight without exercising..then why do people exercise to lose weight? If all you have to do is eat right

I exercise to feel good, look good (better), increase my calorie deficit (what I do with that increased deficit is my business) and enjoy the release of endorphins. Perhaps those who question exercise have never experienced this release, just pain and tiredness.
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never experienced the release of endorphins from exercise. I hate it. It sucks. It isn't pleasant.

THIS !
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »

THIS !

Oh. I see your point. Without experiencing ALL the benefits I understand your antipathy towards exercise.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I exercise because I sleep better, I gain flexibility and strength (makes a bigger difference in my daily activities than I thought), and I love food too much to pass up the opportunity for a few extra calories in my day.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I love food. If I didn't exercise, I wouldn't be able to eat the amount of food I desire without gaining weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    -Because food
    -Aesthetics
    -Lean mass retention whilst in a deficit
    -Help manage my mental health
    -It's replaced food as a coping mechanism
    -Food
    -Food
    -Did I mention food?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, exercise still allows me to participate in sports I like and physical challenges I want to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's fun, it helps me stay on track, it makes me look good (lifting), I like a good challenge and to progress at stuff (running).
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my me-time stress release. It's a time when I'm not cooking peoples food, working, wiping kids butts, or all those other glamorous things parents do. It's just me, my sneakers, and a smooth running surface. It's a time to let my mind be still.

I can't get that from diet alone. And, it really does help my family. Not only am I less crazy, but it sets a good example for the kiddos. I never saw either of my parents work out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that exercising is also empowering. It makes you feel good. I feel unstoppable, healthy, driven, strong, and happy. Endorphins.

091f5846132ce63641256e0235282a48.jpg

SNORT!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Did I tell you I love you today?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    717YL7PgNlL._SX355_.jpg
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

There's a book called "Why Zebra's Don't Get Ulcers." By Robert Sapolsky. He's a neuroendocrinologist. He talks about the fight or flight response to stress, and what happens if we don't process the released glucocorticoids from this response. It is a fascinating book, and ultimately the thing that got me to start running. I run for mental health. I weight train to keep my body balanced, and strong so that I can run. From that I get a calorie deficit, that allows me to eat more.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »

I hate working out, pretty much every single time, but the above things make it a necessary part of my life.

If you hate working out, you need to find some things you enjoy. I DETEST traditional cardio, but I've discovered I love to do sprints, racquetball, tennis, HIIT Cycling classes, and Volleyball.

Life is too short to spend 2 hours a day in the gym being miserable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Zombies

Cos I want to be fit and strong enough to spend all my kids inheritance on ridiculous pursuits when I retire

But mainly zombies
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I exercise for a few reasons:
    1. I find it fun
    2. I like that it gives me goals to work towards that are not weight or work related
    3. It keeps me feeling young and strong
    4. it makes me look better
    5. it is time to focus on me
    6. I get to eat more cheese
    7. It can be a great social outlet if you find people to go with you or befriend people at the gym
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I like to eat and drink beer, exercise makes room for it!

/thread
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Exercise is for your health and to help increase the deficit. Lifting, will help you maintain muscle mass, while losing.

I'm going thru some medical stuff, but after its sorted I plan to start lifting. Any suggestions if I don't wanna get a gym membership?

Have you tried walking around with a backpack full of beer cans?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

My local pizzeria has ghost pepper cheese. It's pretty much the best thing ever.