crochet???

Options

Replies

• c_keuffer
    c_keuffer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And actually the very fact someone said that crocheting doesn't burn ANY calories just show how ignorant people are about the issue? To breath burns calories, to sleep burn calories.....
  • Crochet180
    Crochet180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    B) We need a crochet group.

Sadly it's not energetic enough to burn any more calories than you would watching TV but it's calming and fun.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    c_keuffer wrote: »
    And actually the very fact someone said that crocheting doesn't burn ANY calories just show how ignorant people are about the issue? To breath burns calories, to sleep burn calories.....

And how many calories do you log as exercise every time you breathe?
  • Simspyder40
    Simspyder40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    She asked a specific question. If you don't know the answer DON'T comment. According to the Mayo Clinic you burn approximately 183 calories an hour, crocheting or knitting, for a person that weighs approximately 150 lbs...and ANY additional movement to your day helps.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    She asked a specific question. If you don't know the answer DON'T comment. According to the Mayo Clinic you burn approximately 183 calories an hour, crocheting or knitting, for a person that weighs approximately 150 lbs...and ANY additional movement to your day helps.

th?id=OIP.Mdc0145e95fcc9c9282a9b4a47c6465aco0&w=248&h=165&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.1

Technically any movement is better than none. But shouldn't one's goals be higher? I play solitaire while watching TV.....perhaps that "burns calories too," but I'm still sitting on my butt.

Settling for crocheting, or telling yourself it's exercise (which in no way burns 183 calories)....when you could do something purposeful to increase your fitness level, or help maintain your lean muscle mass, or maintain your balance & flexibility....is sad.

I exercise because I CAN. I'm over 50 and very well aware of "use it or lose it."

Walking is great exercise. Lifting heavy things (or squats, or push ups) is great exercise. Yoga is great for maintaining balance & flexibility. These are all purposeful things we can do to help stave off old age.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I crochet when ever I sit and watch tv. For a while I would get an arm or neck cramp...but no its not a calorie blaster. It does wonders for my stress and has provided the Christmas gits for this year though :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I crochet a lot and don't consider it a calorie burning activity at ALL. in fact, I feel guilty for the lack of movement.

This. I crochet about 8 hours a week, on average, and would never count it as any kind of calorie burn. I crochet very quickly ( I can manage a full sized baby blanket (with ww yarn) in about 7-8 hours, hats in 20 minutes, etc..)....and its not aerobic at all. sorry!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are all looking at this wrong.You don't need to huff and puff to get your heart rate up and going to lose some major calories.If you think sitting and doing nothing won"t get you no where in burning off calories then think again cuz your BMR is all about that lol. BMR refers to the number of calories your body needs to perform very basic functions while at rest. which include cell repair, body growth, blood circulation and breathing. So yes any lil thing you do counts.Like crazy ppl that move back and forth on their chair are burning calories. Nervous leg shaking before an interview are burning calories. So why not crocheting. Tho huffing and puffing to get your heart rate going in hardcore aerobics is the BEST and FASTEST way to go, but its not the only option. Also what helps make them effortless but very much countable activities useful is not over doing your calorie intake or whats the point in any lil thing you do LOL.

Those little movements may all burn calories...technically....but your talking about a MINUSCULE amount. Say you crochet for 1 hour....you can log...what? 10 calories? Is it worth it?

running a mile only burns 120 calories.....crochet cant burn more than 1/10th of that.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Only if done while shopping

There is another thread on calories burned while shopping

If you combine the two, the synergistic burn would probably be about 7 an hour.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    c_keuffer wrote: »
    Actually, crochetting non stopping can use up to 500 calories an hour. I had the same question and actually according with new studies about NEAT Non exercise activity thermogenesis , crochet also makes your body going. Anythign besides sitting still for more than on hour a day is good for you. Leave the long rest for the sleeping time. I watch tv doing crochet and I was amazed to learn how many calories someone spends doing it.

Poppycock. Balderdash. Rot. I burn slightly more than that after an hour of jogging. Sitting in a chair and moving your arms does not burn calories like steady-state cardio.

Also....

TRIPLE ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

How does driving effect this? I recall a thread re: burning calories while driving.

Can I drive & crochet, or do I have to shop and crochet?
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Although knitting/crocheting won't make a huge calorie burn...not removing your fitbit before a marathon yarn session will have crazy "excersize" calories added to MFP.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

How does driving effect this? I recall a thread re: burning calories while driving.

Can I drive & crochet, or do I have to shop and crochet?

If you drive and crochet, please put out a warning before getting on the road...
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I crochet a lot and don't consider it a calorie burning activity at ALL. in fact, I feel guilty for the lack of movement.

Me too. But I have so many projects I want to complete!

Edit: Oh, wow, I didn't even notice the date on the OP.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Dariasen wrote: »
    Although knitting/crocheting won't make a huge calorie burn...not removing your fitbit before a marathon yarn session will have crazy "excersize" calories added to MFP.

^Truth.

As for the rest of the thread?

Well, you know, I'm a knitter. That's 2 hands. Do I get double burns and madder gainz?
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The things people want to count as exercise are a neverending source of hilarity to anyone who makes a practice of reading weight loss boards. I am going to make up a statistic out of thin air and say that 47.9% of failures to lose weight are directly related to people trying to get exercise points for anything other than sitting on the couch staring at the ceiling.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    lol while learning in the evening ( every night 2 hours for the coming two weeks) and watching tutorials, i do some crochet ( making a new coat for the puppie)
    I am really tempted now to do my Polar HRM on and see what the difference is between watching and learning for an hour and watching learning and in the meantime doing my crochet in an hour.... i bet it is at least

5 calories more...maybe even 6 in an hour.

95069916.png
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The estimates for calorie burns are hilarious. 500 calories an hour? I burn that in Step!

I did yoga for an hour today and burned 119 calories.
  • wyckedkitty
    wyckedkitty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to my calorie counter .Com...The answer is 173 calories a hour is burned by crocheting. Have fun crocheting!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I apologize to the ones that thought I was crazy for asking the question :)

nah, i just think you're crazy for crocheting :tongue:

knitter here, checking in. i've thought the same thigns but i think i may actually sit more still when i'm knitting than at other times.