Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options
asimmons26
asimmons26 Posts: 23 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys!!! I'm a certified personal trainer and weight management coach here to help. If you need help losing weight/gaining muscle/work out help etc. please post it! No reason my knowledge should go to waste right?
Have a great day and go out there and reach your dreams!!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    asimmons26 wrote: »
    Hey guys!!! I'm a certified personal trainer and weight management coach here to help. If you need help losing weight/gaining muscle/work out help etc. send me a message! No reason my knowledge should go to waste right?

Advertising services in exchange for getting paid is against the forum guidelines. If you just want to share your knowledge for free there are lots of threads on here looking for help, feel free to jump in and offer advice.
  • asimmons26
    Options
    I'm not advertising any paid services. I'm just passionate about fitness and nutrition as well as helping people reach their goals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm not advertising any paid services. I'm just passionate about fitness and nutrition as well as helping people reach their goals.

Great pitch in

There's lots of people needing help :)

And welcome
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!! I'm a certified personal trainer and weight management coach here to help. If you need help losing weight/gaining muscle/work out help etc. please post it! No reason my knowledge should go to waste right?

Welcome to the site :)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

If this is the case, I suggest you start responding to existing threads on the forums. Your OP sounded a lot like an advertisement.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

How many years does it take to get certified as a personal trainer?
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy75 wrote:
    @mccindy72

In Canada you can take a 2 day course and then an exam (written and practical) to become a personal trainer.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

You can pay to take a test and be certified through several organizations. Some of them only give you 6 months to take the test from the date you sign up for the "course".
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I was reading last night that proper amount to eat in order to maintain is 10-12 calories per pound. My current weightloss strategy is 500 calories under my TDEE.
    Since my TDEE calculations change with weight loss and activity levels, wouldn't it be easier just to eat at 10 calories per my goal weight? Would this even work?
  • asimmons26
    Options
    Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall. The reason is all calories are not created equal. Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything. Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta). These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter. Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Less than 1 month. To be a GOOD certified trainer with excellent knowledge on training different types of people and rehab, I'd say a good 5 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall. The reason is all calories are not created equal.
    Sorry that's incorrect. A calorie is a unit of measure and it doesn't change regardless of macronutrient. Just like a liter is a liter and gram is a gram, a calorie is a calorie. What you're stating isn't taught in Journal of Medicine or Science.
    Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day.
    Care to link a peer reviewed study to support that one needs to eat "clean" and/or drink half your bodyweight in ounces to lose weight?
    Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything. Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta). These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter. Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.
    Sorry, but now the advice is more broscience rather than actual science.
    It takes more than just having a certification to support what you've stated above. While whole foods are a better choice due to nutrient value, one doesn't have to stay away from rice, bread or pasta to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall. The reason is all calories are not created equal. Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything. Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta). These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter. Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.

Technicall, no. BMR is defined in such a way that it includes having a metabolically neutral temperature, so if you read someone's energy expenditure in other temperatures, you're no longer reading their BMR. Even the less strict RMR requires neutral temperature.

Why is white rice any worse than brown rice? The macronutrients are minorly different, and the process that turns rice white removes anti-nutrients in the rice.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a question. I was reading last night that proper amount to eat in order to maintain is 10-12 calories per pound. My current weightloss strategy is 500 calories under my TDEE.
    Since my TDEE calculations change with weight loss and activity levels, wouldn't it be easier just to eat at 10 calories per my goal weight? Would this even work?
    No because if your goal weight is low and you have a lot to lose, then you'd eat too little causing homeostasis faster and possibly lacking correct nutrient balance.

EX: 200lbs
    Goal weight: 130
    GWx10=1300

So say at 200lbs your TDEE is well over 2500 calories. That means your deficit would be more than double if your current deficit is your TDEE minus 500.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall. The reason is all calories are not created equal.
    Sorry that's incorrect. A calorie is a unit of measure and it doesn't change regardless of macronutrient. Just like a liter is a liter and gram is a gram, a calorie is a calorie. What you're stating isn't taught in Journal of Medicine or Science.
    Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day.
    Care to link a peer reviewed study to support that one needs to eat "clean" and/or drink half your bodyweight in ounces to lose weight?
    Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything. Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta). These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter. Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.
    It takes more than just having a certification to support what you've stated above. While whole foods are a better choice due to nutrient value, one doesn't have to stay away from rice, bread or pasta to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Seconded. I'm uncomfortable with a supposedly trained and certified personal trainer saying these kinds of unscientific things.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh did I mention be sure to make sure your advice is scientifically sound because you'll get called out for peddling "nutrition" course misinformation and asked for proof

B

yes they are, just like cm, litres and inches a calorie is a unit of measurement

Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean
    please specify what this means to you as it has different definitions, for weight loss it doesn't matter

and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day.
    no this advice is not correct, just ensure adequate hydration and your best tool is the urine colour chart

Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything.
    Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. BMR is temp neutral, it's just an estimation calculation that is good enough. No point majoring in the minors
    Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta).
    I eat white bread and rice by taste preference. Nutritionally there are minor differences. This advice is a little misleading

These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter.
    fat is an important nutrient, if butter helps you reach your minimum fat requirement within your calorie budget then I would include it ...45 cals for a teaspoon is not massive

Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This. So much this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    GSlate wrote: »
    How many years does it take to get certified as a personal trainer? @mccindy72

In Canada you can take a 2 day course and then an exam (written and practical) to become a personal trainer.

Yes ... I've taken the 2-day course, and wrote the written exam, and did some work toward the practical exam ... but "life" stepped in and I never did get the practical done.

And now I'm in Australia, so it could be different here. I do toy with the idea of doing it again and actually finishing it this time.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    How are we suppose to know who's actually right and who's wrong.

I need proof please... Post it! Thanks.
    I have more posts. :D
    And my information can be backed by scientific study.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    How are we suppose to know who's actually right and who's wrong.

I need proof please... Post it! Thanks.

If you post what exactly it is you would like proof of, I'm sure someone can provide it. As for all the helpful answers given.... science is the proof. The non science statements have no proof.