i just cant...

Options
not sure if its because I got 3 hours of sleep due to a sewage like breaking under my house haha buuut. I find the responses of "will power" and "self control" so aggravating. So when you gained weight you activly chose to over eat and gain weight. Those things are learned over time after trial and error of adapting CICO. Ive said it before, if it were as easy as self control then id just about assume no one on the planet would ever gain weight or fall victim to bad choices.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I didn't actively choose to do it, I just didn't actively choose not to do it.

If it's not self-control, what is it?

ETA: And I don't know of many people who say it is "easy."
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

just dont think its that easy especially for people just starting out. If there is guacamole in front of me iwill eat all of it. lack of self control probably. people that have spent years of over eating have a hard time just being like yea man self control.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    not sure if its because I got 3 hours of sleep due to a sewage like breaking under my house haha buuut. I find the responses of "will power" and "self control" so aggravating. So when you gained weight you activly chose to over eat and gain weight. Those things are learned over time after trial and error of adapting CICO. Ive said it before, if it were as easy as self control then id just about assume no one on the planet would ever gain weight or fall victim to bad choices.

Yes, I actively chose to overeat. Nobody held my mouth open and shoved food down my gullet. I did it all myself. Not my finest accomplishment but I did it all myself. Whether or not I did it to purposely gain weight (i.e., actively choosing to gain weight) or not, I chose to eat enough to gain weight. I made bad choices but I was not a victim.

Not sure why it's so aggravating to read the truth.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

just dont think its that easy especially for people just starting out. If there is guacamole in front of me iwill eat all of it. lack of self control probably. people that have spent years of over eating have a hard time just being like yea man self control.

Very few people say it's easy. That it's not easy doesn't make it wrong, does it?
  • fishshark
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Yes, I actively chose to overeat. Nobody held my mouth open and shoved food down my gullet. I did it all myself. Not my finest accomplishment but I did it all myself. Whether or not I did it to purposely gain weight (i.e., actively choosing to gain weight) or not, I chose to eat enough to gain weight. I made bad choices but I was not a victim.

oh the truth isnt aggravating, but telling someone to have self control is an obvious statement. It is not helpful when they clearly know they lack in that department. When im watching football i should probably have self control when drinking beer but I dont because I enjoy it. I obviously know i should... and telling me to have it doesnt help me in anyway. Im sure there are many people on this site that lack self control in one aspect or another in their life.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    What, in your view, would be more helpful response?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

oh the truth isnt aggravating, but telling someone to have self control is an obvious statement. It is not helpful when they clearly know they lack in that department. When im watching football i should probably have self control when drinking beer but I dont because I enjoy it. I obviously know i should... and telling me to have it doesnt help me in anyway. Im sure there are many people on this site that lack self control in one aspect or another in their life.

Ok, just curious.... what do you want to hear?
  • fishshark
    Options
    i think i just take the "have self control" in a condescending way and that very could be my own perception and wrong.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    In for the response.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

But what else are we supposed to do? The alternative is to say "You poor thing. You are a victim. Your overeating patterns and weight gain are due to no fault of your own. Attempting to control yourself is futile. A lifetime of obesity is inevitable. Give up now."
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    i think i just take the "have self control" in a condescending way and that very could be my own perception and wrong.
    I think "this is on you, you have the power to make it happen" is pretty much the opposite of condescending.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone says self control is easy. And when someone is overweight or gains unwanted weight because they do not know how much they are eating or how much they should eat, then I wouldn't call that a self control issue, it's a lack of knowledge issue. But when a person knows how much they should eat for their goals and then eats more than that, that is a self control issue. And it's not easy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Same here, I find that idea super annoying and offensive. Calorie counting isn't a natural state, tons of reasons people gain that have nothing to do with them being "weak". Eating without thinking and without knowledge (of nutrition & practical coping techniques) is enough 99% of the time in our society.

Yes to bolded, it just takes a while to figure out which macros to get to satiety on X calorie target, & how to reach them with things you love.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think "this is on you, you have the power to make it happen" is pretty much the opposite of condescending.

I think the way you said it sounds better than, "you just need to control yourself". One is empowering, the other one reminds me of my mom yelling at me in the bathroom at church for not sitting still in my seat.
  • fishshark
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Same here, I find that idea super annoying and offensive. Calorie counting isn't a natural state, tons of reasons people gain that have nothing to do with them being "weak". Eating without thinking and without knowledge is enough 99% of the time in our society.

Yes to bolded, it just takes a while to figure out which macros to get to satiety on X calorie target, & how to reach them with things you love.

when someone posts like man i couldnt walk away from that cheesecake.. thats a very honest a real life issue many of us have had. Just being like "your an adult have some self control" is very condescending to me.
  • tomatoey
    edited November 2015
    Options

But what else are we supposed to do? The alternative is to say "You poor thing. You are a victim. Your overeating patterns and weight gain are due to no fault of your own. Attempting to control yourself is futile. A lifetime of obesity is inevitable. Give up now."

I don't think so, I think the 3rd option is recognizing reasons for overeating in the past and planning to prevent that happening in future. I don't think of it in terms of "self-control" at all. Or maybe, in the sense that with knowledge and experience, you can minimize vulnerability.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options

ETA: And I don't know of many people who say it is "easy."

I agree, I did not actively choose, it was a passive choice. To lose weight is very active choice. For some people it will be easier than others and some days it is easier than others.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to eliminate old habit patterns and I swear people who adapt their existing habits without trying to force a change are more successful. I found it very helpful to read about Hait's "rider and the elephant" and Duhigg's book on Habit.

I use a technique developed by Stanford for people with chronic conditions where I take a problem, troubleshoot solutions, try one for a week, and re-evaluate. By knowing myself I develop strategies, one by one and slowly over time, that gradually lead me to a healthier way of living.

Read, "Is Willpower a limited resource?"

So you build self-control and success by being kind to yourself, and building strategies that slowly builds your willpower over time. You can replenish your willpower by giving yourself a little joy.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Same here, I find that idea super annoying and offensive. Calorie counting isn't a natural state, tons of reasons people gain that have nothing to do with them being "weak". Eating without thinking and without knowledge is enough 99% of the time in our society.

when someone posts like man i couldnt walk away from that cheesecake.. thats a very honest a real life issue many of us have had. Just being like "your an adult have some self control" is very condescending to me.

Agree completely
  • fishshark
    Options

I don't think so, I think the 3rd option is recognizing reasons for overeating in the past and planning to prevent that happening in future. I don't think of it in terms of "self-control" at all. Or maybe, in the sense that with knowledge and experience, you can minimize vulnerability.

yea i dont expect any one to coddle me or anyone else on this site... i just dont really like to see people stating the obvious when self control isnt as easy as snapping a finger.