Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    asimmons26 wrote: »
    Butter is another additive people use too much of. While it has fats (trans fat) it is also high in cholesterol. Most butter people consume is also loaded with sodium and induces the need for more. Olive oil is a better alternative since while it still has fats, it actually has additional benefits including lowering ldl and triglycerides, it is rich in antioxidants, especially vitamin e. The fats in olive oil are monounsaturated which doesn't oxidize in the body and its lower in polyunsaturated fat which does oxidize in the body. It also reduces blood pressure. So....why use butter when you can get actual health benefits from olive oil?

Margarine has trans fat, not butter. Maybe you meant to say saturated fat instead of trans fat?

I wouldn't call 90 mg of sodium loaded with sodium. Now fish sauce, THAT'S loaded with sodium. And consuming it has no adverse effects on my health. In fact, I did have adverse effects when I STOPPED cooking Thai food regularly as I was no longer getting enough iodine.

c728bd938017f6e8b0b025293ab788e4.png

Don't use the MFP database as proof. It is often wrong. Like this time. One tablespoon has about 0.5 g of TF.
    I personally would not worry about it or the salt.

I verified the database entry against the label of my Cabot butter. My Whole Foods butter also say 0 g trans fat.

I did find this:

Products that contain 0.5 g or more per serving are required to list the trans fat content. Small amounts of trans fat are naturally present in some dairy products, including butter.

And this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dining/07tran.html?_r=0

...When the F.D.A. was considering the 2006 trans fat labeling law, the dairy council and others argued that natural trans fat should be uncoupled from artificial trans fat because natural trans fat might not be dangerous and because people get relatively little trans fat from meat and dairy products.

Dale E. Bauman, a Cornell University professor who specializes in animal science, says natural trans fat can be used by the body to synthesize conjugated linoleic acid, a good fatty acid that could help prevent diseases like cancer. Other trans fat researchers are a little more cautious, but still believe natural and artificial trans fat should not be viewed with the same concern.

Dr. Walter Willet of the Harvard School of Public Health said the chemical makeup “of specific trans fatty acids in dairy fat is different than in industrial partially hydrogenated trans fat, so it is possible that the effects are different.”

In his original paper on trans fat in 1993, which is largely credited for revolutionizing thinking on partially hydrogenated oils, Dr. Willet found that the increased risk of heart disease was associated with the amount of industrial trans fats people ate.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Back to the calories are not equal. This is very simple. You eat 100 calories of French fries and I will eat 100 calories of veggies. Then let's see who has more energy. You can google not all calories are equal and find a ton of information backing this. The information I gave as to not all calories being equal was just a very quick statement without going into complex digestion and energy process of different foods. Your energy level has everything to do with how your lose weight.
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. And googling something doesn't prove it. There's lots of articles written by "gurus" of exercise that have no background in nutrition or physiology. Peer reviewed clinical studies provide more accurate information. And a calorie is a calorie. No Journal of Science will dispute that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Wrong. Scientists challenge fixed ideas and evaluates evidence from a variety of possible positions. The term "a calorie is not a calorie" has no syllogistic sense if the statement is only a negation of "all X are not X." It is intended in the sense that foodstuff contains energy and quality of food matters to diet ( for example - a deficit diet with 90% protein will have different mood and satiny effects than the same deficit with 10% protein) or health (for example - a 2000 calorie diet rich in packaged meats vs a 2000 calorie diet with limited packaged meats might have different health outcomes). The OP just uses a poorly structured phrase, a sound bite, to express this and then defends herself even more poorly. One would expect by now that people her would understand this.

As to scientific journals that express this? Oh look:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26303602
    http://www.nature.com/nrendo/journal/v11/n10/full/nrendo.2015.144.html

Anecdotal evidence IS evidence but not highly valued.

Any chance you know of a free copy of this study? Definitely would be interested in reading it.

Sorry, not at this time. A pdf search doesn't turn up anything either.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Butter is another additive people use too much of. While it has fats (trans fat) it is also high in cholesterol. Most butter people consume is also loaded with sodium and induces the need for more. Olive oil is a better alternative since while it still has fats, it actually has additional benefits including lowering ldl and triglycerides, it is rich in antioxidants, especially vitamin e. The fats in olive oil are monounsaturated which doesn't oxidize in the body and its lower in polyunsaturated fat which does oxidize in the body. It also reduces blood pressure. So....why use butter when you can get actual health benefits from olive oil?

Margarine has trans fat, not butter. Maybe you meant to say saturated fat instead of trans fat?

I wouldn't call 90 mg of sodium loaded with sodium. Now fish sauce, THAT'S loaded with sodium. And consuming it has no adverse effects on my health. In fact, I did have adverse effects when I STOPPED cooking Thai food regularly as I was no longer getting enough iodine.

c728bd938017f6e8b0b025293ab788e4.png

Don't use the MFP database as proof. It is often wrong. Like this time. One tablespoon has about 0.5 g of TF.
    I personally would not worry about it or the salt.

I verified the database entry against the label of my Cabot butter. My Whole Foods butter also say 0 g trans fat.

I did find this:

Products that contain 0.5 g or more per serving are required to list the trans fat content. Small amounts of trans fat are naturally present in some dairy products, including butter.

And this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dining/07tran.html?_r=0

...When the F.D.A. was considering the 2006 trans fat labeling law, the dairy council and others argued that natural trans fat should be uncoupled from artificial trans fat because natural trans fat might not be dangerous and because people get relatively little trans fat from meat and dairy products.

Dale E. Bauman, a Cornell University professor who specializes in animal science, says natural trans fat can be used by the body to synthesize conjugated linoleic acid, a good fatty acid that could help prevent diseases like cancer. Other trans fat researchers are a little more cautious, but still believe natural and artificial trans fat should not be viewed with the same concern.

Dr. Walter Willet of the Harvard School of Public Health said the chemical makeup “of specific trans fatty acids in dairy fat is different than in industrial partially hydrogenated trans fat, so it is possible that the effects are different.”

In his original paper on trans fat in 1993, which is largely credited for revolutionizing thinking on partially hydrogenated oils, Dr. Willet found that the increased risk of heart disease was associated with the amount of industrial trans fats people ate.

Like I said - transfats exist in butter, in small quantities. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I think you need to edit your title to "Zumba Instructor here to help!" and move it to the fitness section. Stick to what you know best.
  • Infineon85
    Infineon85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!! I'm a certified personal trainer and weight management coach here to help. If you need help losing weight/gaining muscle/work out help etc. please post it! No reason my knowledge should go to waste right?
    Have a great day and go out there and reach your dreams!!

• Infineon85
    Options
    Hello,

Can I request you as a friend on here, I would love some extra help with my fitness routine:)
  • Infineon85
    Options
    I didn't mean to repost what you wrote, im still trying to figure myfitness pal out lol
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Not everyone fits your perfect scenario mold where they can simply change their eating habits overnight and have miraculous results.

Agree with this. Plus - being told to stay away from "the whites" (pasta, rice, bread) would make some people absolutely miserable. Needlessly. How long would that way of eating remain sustainable?

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Infineon85 wrote: »
    Hello,

Can I request you as a friend on here, I would love some extra help with my fitness routine:)

If you are looking for a mentor. Here is a great place to start.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10035755/2015-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread#latest
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Often referred to as an empty calorie are foods high in calories but very lacking in nutritional value, like fast food. If the harm to your body outweighs the benefits by a long shot then it's what is known as an empty calorie. You can be at a "healthy weight" but have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol,etc bc of the foods in which you choose to consume. Again, backing my statement that calories are not created equal. Have you heard of skinny fat? This is a person who eats within calorie range but not the right foods. This person is not actually healthy and their body fat percentage is of an unhealthy range. I see it all day at the gym training and taking body fat analysts.

I don't have any qualifications, but I was under the impression that 'skinny fat' was just when you have a relatively low weight but a high body fat percentage. Never heard it defined as anything to do with the 'right foods' or eating 'clean'.

You're correct but they often go together

According to what?

Personal observation. Friends, family, co-workers I know who are skinny fat tend to eat more low nutrient dense foods than people I know that are the same height/weight and appear lean.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yeah, good points. (There are small amounts of natural trans fats in animal products, including butter, but that's not what is believed to be so bad for one's health that it should be avoided entirely. That's artificial trans fats, which are in some -- not all -- margerines.)

Every cooking resource I know says use unsalted butter as you want to control the addition of salt (not because salt is bad), so this idea that butter is high in sodium seems weird to me.

Fish sauce is, soy sauce is, but typically I use small amounts, so who cares.

Also, how much sodium one should eat varies.

• absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Often referred to as an empty calorie are foods high in calories but very lacking in nutritional value, like fast food. If the harm to your body outweighs the benefits by a long shot then it's what is known as an empty calorie. You can be at a "healthy weight" but have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol,etc bc of the foods in which you choose to consume. Again, backing my statement that calories are not created equal. Have you heard of skinny fat? This is a person who eats within calorie range but not the right foods. This person is not actually healthy and their body fat percentage is of an unhealthy range. I see it all day at the gym training and taking body fat analysts.

Can someone link the stories about the Twinkie diet and the McDonald's diet those professors did where their body fat, cholesterol, and other numbers were lower and healthier?

Unless it's already been posted, I can't wade through this while troll thread on my phone
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Most calorie strategies for weight loss have a downfall. The reason is all calories are not created equal. Your best bet is to just worry about eating clean and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Your BMR doesn't stay the same. (As you stated) The better fit or unfit you become you would need to recalculate everything. Temperature also changes your BMR so to go strictly off of a calculation like TDEE would need to be an estimate only. Don't even bother with that. Stay away from whites (rice, bread, pasta). These should only be eaten for special occasions. Replace these with Ezekiel bread, quinoa, etc. Get creative with your veggies, no butter. Your veggies should be the biggest portion on your plate.

i feel sorry for the cultures where rice is the staple diet.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Not everyone fits your perfect scenario mold where they can simply change their eating habits overnight and have miraculous results.

Agree with this. Plus - being told to stay away from "the whites" (pasta, rice, bread) would make some people absolutely miserable. Needlessly. How long would that way of eating remain sustainable?

when i first started to lose weight my friend told me these are the three things that i needed to give up. luckily i found mfp before that so i just laughed to myself. i would have so given up ages ago if i listened to her. also i can eat brown bread but toast is nicer on white, but now thrown away my brown rice i cant swallow it. brown pasta not even going to buy it.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    How are we suppose to know who's actually right and who's wrong.

I need proof please... Post it! Thanks.
    You hang out, see who can back it up with science. You learn who you can trust. No one is infallible but there are some here that are darn close and if they say something that is incorrect it is usually minor. I trust @ninerbuff @rabbitjb @SLLRunner @usmcmp and many others here because they give great advice. Anyone who is newer, I always take a wait and see approach. There are others who have lots of posts, who are not as trustworthy, but they usually get called out. When someone calls someone else out, with science, it is the BEST!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

You hang out, see who can back it up with science. You learn who you can trust. No one is infallible but there are some here that are darn close and if they say something that is incorrect it is usually minor. I trust @ninerbuff @rabbitjb @SLLRunner @usmcmp and many others here because they give great advice. Anyone who is newer, I always take a wait and see approach. There are others who have lots of posts, who are not as trustworthy, but they usually get called out. When someone calls someone else out, with science, it is the BEST!

Adding @SideSteel
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Gee @daniwilford...thank you :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I ain't reading all of this, so can someone tell me if she ragequit for getting called out yet?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I ain't reading all of this, so can someone tell me if she ragequit for getting called out yet?

Yep
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited November 2015
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Yep

does it count as a rage quit if she never came back?
    Weak flounce?

eta: oops, yeah. ok.