What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I've been hearing from a particular person that I need to stop now. That I'm going to disappear. That I don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore so just stop. When I started I was 189.4 & 34.6 BMI. Today I am 151.0 and 27.6 BMI. To get to the high end of the healthy weight/BMI range, I need to weigh 136.4 which will put me at 24.9 BMI. My goal was 125 & 22.9 BMI.

I didn't know how many people would invest themselves in my weight loss, without my knowledge or consent btw, and would feel perfectly ok giving me medical advice that 1) they aren't qualified to give, and 2) don't follow themselves! I also didn't know how hard it was going to be keeping my mouth shut and just saying "Thank you, I appreciate your concern, but my doctor is happy with my progress."

That's a good one! I'll be using that too!
    I don't know why people always think you should stop when they say so. Its my body and I'll decide when to stop when I want too.
    My goal isn't to be skin and bones, its to be toned and thin.
    When people say those things its hard for me to stop thinking about it. I start wondering if they are right. But bottom line, I should listen to myself and people that are qualified to tell me differently.

People seem to try to stop you from doing better than they are.

• triddering
    triddering Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    That moment when you cross your legs and realize that it doesn't give you hip pain anymore and that you can keep you legs crossed comfortably!

Or when you go on a trip and you sit in a coach seat on a plane and you are no longer pinched by the seat and I actually can shorten the seatbelt! Of course, I can't sit there for long because of the tailbone pain, so I walk up and down the isles through the flight and I am not as concerned about the width of the aisle!
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    triddering wrote: »
    That moment when you cross your legs and realize that it doesn't give you hip pain anymore and that you can keep you legs crossed comfortably!

Or when you go on a trip and you sit in a coach seat on a plane and you are no longer pinched by the seat and I actually can shorten the seatbelt! Of course, I can't sit there for long because of the tailbone pain, so I walk up and down the isles through the flight and I am not as concerned about the width of the aisle!

This I had something like this just happen on my honeymoon. I go into the seat and was like when did the seats get bigger?? My husband was like they didn't honey you got smaller. Love it!!!
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »

I'm from Quebec, Canada. I don't have my weight on my license either. Which province are you from. I'm curious to know where they do that.

They put your weight on your license in Texas.

They do in Wisconsin as well.
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I'm from Quebec, Canada. I don't have my weight on my license either. Which province are you from. I'm curious to know where they do that.

You made me go check mine. I just got a new one and neither the old or the new show my weight.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    rhianna818 wrote: »

You made me go check mine. I just got a new one and neither the old or the new show my weight.

I haven't gotten a new one in awhile, but I'm in Dallas and my current one has it.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I cross my legs a lot now, without thinking about it. It's like they were waiting for the ability to do it.

When I moved from NY to CA, I was appalled to see the weights on licenses, but they don't weigh you there, so I was about 50 lbs less on it than I actually was. When I was moving to NC and buying a house, I had to fax a copy of the license for some paperwork. I called and asked if I could black out the number especially since it was no where in the neighborhood of being accurate. The woman laughed and said yes, since there are no weights listed here. I remember smiling when I passed that number for real about a year ago.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    How the effort and mindset of the act of losing weight becomes a blueprint for other things in life you want to achieve.

The application itself is what's life changing, more so than the actual loss.

I really hope this is the case. I've only just really started losing and I'd love to get to the point where other things begin to fall into place.
  • MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Non plus sized pants have way smaller pockets and it is much harder to fit my cell phone in my front pocket. I read that comment from someone at the beginning of my journey and it always stuck with me and now I can experience it myself!
    18922 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Calmquiet wrote: »
    How being 60 pounds down I don't feel like I have lost any weight and the mirror looks the same to me.
    How cold I am constantly to the point I have to wear gloves around the house.
    How exercise no longer makes me unusually angry.
    How almost no one has seemed to notice or comment on my change in weight.
    How I still fit in a lot of my same clothes though they are looser.
    How much I'm looking forward to losing the last 30 pounds!

The important thing to remember is that you know you have lost 60pds. You must feel better and be enjoying all the benefits of the weight loss. When I lose weight it come off from everywhere so my clothes tend to get looser and no one really noticed either. It can be discouraging because it's nice to have feedback on the hard work were doing but just remember that your the most important person that needs to acknowledge and be proud of all your hard work. Congrats on your amazing loss
  • JamalIgle
    JamalIgle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation
    Agreed. I'm always cold now.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    JamalIgle wrote: »
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation
    Agreed. I'm always cold now.

I kept seeing the "I'm so cold" things here and kept thinking "nah, I'm 50kg/110lbs down, it's midwinter, and I'm walking around in short sleeve shirts still". Another few kgs, and BAM! Cold all the damn time. Now I can sympathise.

At least it helps with Summer coming.
  • hlehmann
    hlehmann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You will instinctively head directly to the plus size department, then realize nothing there will fit you after frantically browsing for 20 minutes.

Don't be offended if people don't recognize you.

You will do thing you never thought you were capable of. My husband takes me hunting. Two years ago at nearly 300 pounds I wouldn't even dare attempt to climb a tree. But for some reason I find it possible with less padding to insulate a fall.
  • pintorocket
    pintorocket Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Male co-workers that I've known for over a decade now treat me "like a lady:" they open doors for me, offer to get me things, allow me to enter elevators first. This NEVER happened for the first 10+ years and I don't even think they know they're doing it.

I can outlast (crush?) seemingly healthy, fit 20-somethings in both Pilates and TRX...they look like they're in shape but I actually AM in shape.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Love this thread. Mine are the same as many others here but:

I forgot how freezing I get at a 'healthy BMI' weight! Had some extra padding for a couple of winters, haha.

How some days you can really see the difference, but other days you feel just as big as you ever were.

How a bottle of wine spaced out over a night will make you feel rubbish the next morning, when before you could put a bottle plus beers away and feel fine the next day.

How it bloomin' HURTS when you lean round a corner and your hip bone hits the wall - used to have padding there!
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One I hadn't thought of is that I don't have as much weight to compress the garbage anymore. I usually stand in the trash can to compact it but I noticed tonight that I can't smoosh it as much.

I didn't realize I would hate my husband's car less because the seatbelt doesn't get pulled out to that zone where it sticks any more.

I didn't realize I'd be able to wear my clothes for this long. Most of my pants have drawstrings so I can still wear them. I have been able to pull out some clothes that I haven't been able to wear for a long time.

I am also cold - sitting here freezing right now.

I don't see where the 54 lbs I've lost has come from - I look just the same.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!