What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    So much easier to shave. (talking about my face, I do not shave anything below my neck.)
  • AnnjanetteTaft
    AnnjanetteTaft Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 13 out of 40 lbs, but I was shocked this morning when (after realizing I'd gained a pound), I looked in the mirror and the image I saw made me feel like I had gained 10. Thankfully it motivated me to drink a lot of tea and water, so I can now see me in the mirror at my current weight and see the changes, but I couldn't believe how much my mind tricked me this morning.

Some weight gain is from muscle gain (which is a good thing), it can also be from water gain (about a 5 lb. fluxuation for women). My mom lost a lot of weight, but I think that was mostly muscle loss (not good). Even body builders tend to have a high BMI due to muscle mass. The easiest way to measure progress is by inches, so make sure you are looking at the big picture, not just the number on the scale.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Every summer we go to the same amusement parks. I'm not a thrill seeker at all and I usually find all the rides uncomfortable, to say the least.
    This summer, to my utmost surprise, the pit in my stomach was completely gone. I actually enjoyed myself and I couldn't believe how different every ride felt. It's basic physics I guess, the acceleration of a 260lb body is so much higher than the one of a 180lb body :) this is one change I never anticipated. I celebrated by going on the water slide tube at least 30 times :)

I was soooo happy the first time I went to Six Flags after slimming down and sat down in the test seat and could close the bar all the way down to my lap without issues. That happiness was short lived as I rode on three coasters and after finishing the Superman ride, waiting at the end to be let off the ride, hanging there and silently praying "please don't throw up! Please don't throw up!" That did me for the rest of the day as far as rides went.
  • jillo67
    jillo67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I've lost almost 30 lbs & 4 sizes. My biggest surprises have been:
    - The amount of time it took to plan, shop, cook & measure food 4 months ago
    - that now I plan, shop, cook & measure food so easily, it's second nature
    - how motivated I am to work out daily
    - how much more involved I am in athletic activities with my young son (karate, ice skating, etc)
    - how fantastic it felt to shop for new clothes & fit into a size 8 after being a size 16
    - how not everyone is supportive & encouraging
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    jerber160 wrote: »
    don't forget to have your thyroid medication adjusted every 10-15 pounds...

I'm SO glad you mentioned this, it never occurred to me.

• teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had some too snug clothes, lost not a lot but had a go - they're too big! What a waste. As for 'you've lost weight' comments, I know people are trying to be encouraging but it just reminds me how fat I was before. I prefer a more general 'you're looking good' or something, not a direct weight focus. Also I used to get 'you've lost weight' if I hadn't seen people for a while and I hadn't and I was the same size as last time I saw them and it just made me think 'no I'm just not as fat as you thought I was'. Ah well it's a minefield! And I also have a very good friend who knew intimately about my weight struggles and as soon as I was showing some results seemed to always be eating crisps or similar when we got together when normally she was very careful to eat healthy (trying to set an example?!?), but there she was knowing how I was trying to finally be healthy suddenly indulging! I think maybe a subconscious act. I hope.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a very causal drinker.. Generally, I'll have a couple wine coolers one night a week..

Last weekend someone gave me a bottle of Smirnoff Ice, Screwdriver and told me that I wasn't allowed to waste it. I've lost nearly 80lbs, and let me tell you I was really stumbling around my dog walk after that bottle..

Alcohol is much more fun when you are a light-weight. ;)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Every summer we go to the same amusement parks. I'm not a thrill seeker at all and I usually find all the rides uncomfortable, to say the least.
    This summer, to my utmost surprise, the pit in my stomach was completely gone. I actually enjoyed myself and I couldn't believe how different every ride felt. It's basic physics I guess, the acceleration of a 260lb body is so much higher than the one of a 180lb body :) this is one change I never anticipated. I celebrated by going on the water slide tube at least 30 times :)

Ooh that's fantastic!!!! I'm heading to wet and wild with the kids in the September holidays. I'm so excited
  • texasf1ght
    texasf1ght Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    How men become suddenly nicer and women become bitchy witches

I've noticed some men that I come into contact with on the job are chattier and I find that funny, am I not the same amazing, hilarious person I was? why couldn't I be spoken to prior to weightloss?

A supervisor in the facility I work with has almost a snide comment when others mention my loss, "ALL you do is watch what you eat!" yep that's ALL, nothing else..... and after the first 50 she really hadn't "noticed".... Lucky for me, none of this has a thing to do with me keeping it up LOL

I've found that those type of people are usually so unhappy with their own lives that it's nearly impossible for them to share in anyone else's happiness.

Glad you just let it slide right off! :)

• LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That finding clothes is actually harder because you are not used to shopping for real clothes..does this look right?....Is it supposed to be skinnier at the bottom??? ....everything fits but you are more picky because of it.
  • eweadock
    eweadock Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That finding clothes is actually harder because you are not used to shopping for real clothes..does this look right?....Is it supposed to be skinnier at the bottom??? ....everything fits but you are more picky because of it.

Definitely more picky. I used to buy clothes if they fit well, not caring much how they looked within reason. Now, I'm taking pictures in the dressing room to make sure it looks good from all angles, because I can't tell. Sometimes I just get brain freeze during a shopping trip and end up leaving without buying anything. It all fits now and I have to decide if I like a certain style, if it looks good..... It was kind of easier before, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

It just makes me laugh when I fit into something in a size I never thought I'd wear again. The people in adjacent fitting rooms must think I'm crazy, laughing out loud!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation
    This! So cold
    But as someone else said, don't get complacent or it all piles on again!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Ooh that's fantastic!!!! I'm heading to wet and wild with the kids in the September holidays. I'm so excited
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    eweadock wrote: »

Definitely more picky. I used to buy clothes if they fit well, not caring much how they looked within reason. Now, I'm taking pictures in the dressing room to make sure it looks good from all angles, because I can't tell. Sometimes I just get brain freeze during a shopping trip and end up leaving without buying anything. It all fits now and I have to decide if I like a certain style, if it looks good..... It was kind of easier before, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

It just makes me laugh when I fit into something in a size I never thought I'd wear again. The people in adjacent fitting rooms must think I'm crazy, laughing out loud!

The first time I tried on something that I thought was going to be way too small and it fit I know for a fact people thought I was nuts. When it happened I literally danced out of the changing room to look in the bigger surrounding mirrors. There was a crowd. They looked shocked and then laughed. I didn't even care because I was in such a good mood when it happened.

I am also more picky, but don't know. I was shopping this weekend and had three dresses, I took pictures and sent them to my friends. But I also like looking at the picture instead of the mirror. For some reason I see myself differently in the pictures. Usually better, but this weekend, one of the dresses looked worse in the pictures. It was just weird.

When I first lost a lot of weight and finally got out of plus size, I had lots of trouble shopping. There were way too many options that I got overwhelmed. I ended up taking a friend with me and she helped me out. That was the best thing I did. I just went in the dressing rooms at stores and she brought me things to try on. It made me stop gravitating towards the exact same clothes.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options

Much more fun than me. I went to the mall in January to try on real clothes not from a "big girl" catalogue but from regular department stores. Got really overwhelmed with the amount of choices and not having a clue as to what size I was (my clothes were usually all xl or xxl, no numbers). Finally ended up in The Gap with a pair of jeans. A 12 fit, the last number I remember was a 24. I got all teary eyed. Hoped no one was nearby. I need to go again, but need a definite plan of attack so I don't lose my $8&% again. I think no matter what size, I'm always going to prefer the online shopping approach.

• eweadock
    eweadock Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »

Much more fun than me. I went to the mall in January to try on real clothes not from a "big girl" catalogue but from regular department stores. Got really overwhelmed with the amount of choices and not having a clue as to what size I was (my clothes were usually all xl or xxl, no numbers). Finally ended up in The Gap with a pair of jeans. A 12 fit, the last number I remember was a 24. I got all teary eyed. Hoped no one was nearby. I need to go again, but need a definite plan of attack so I don't lose my $8&% again. I think no matter what size, I'm always going to prefer the online shopping approach.

Alidecker and others are right on. Take a friend who can bring you clothes without coming out of the changing room. That way, you can talk through it, understand your new size, and start celebrating instead!
  • jo1013
    jo1013 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm enjoying hearing everyone's responses. I'm just 52 years young (menopausal) and totally lack motivation! Until a few years ago, I excercised at least 3-4 times a week and did that all of my adult life. Now I find it hard just getting out of bed! When I do get out and excercise, I'll power walk/jog 4-5 miles which is great but I'm not consistent. I need to lose 50-60lbs. I wish you could all give me some of your motivation!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    a handsome young man ignored the elevator floor number that he had pushed and followed me to my office to chat me up.

Did you get HIS number? ;D

No but I know his name and now he knows where my office is located.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!