Get your Metabolic Rate tested !! My Metabolic reset story

18910111214»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2015
    joshdann wrote: »
    RMR in athletes is well known to be lower, primarily because of the lower resting heart rate that comes from endurance training. Your case is interesting, and based on other studies that have been done on large groups of people, I think you may have had some inaccurate tests... maybe not, but that seems most likely. That, or you may have had low blood pressure that day, it may have been cold... things like that. Lowered heart rate, through any mechanism, generally results in a low RMR. BMR tests take longer and are more accurate because they measure your condition in multiple states.

If you were told by this "expert" that you were in some sort of "survival mode" I think he may not be a real expert. The scientists who study this concept have shown a maximum of a 20% reduction in BMR in subjects on long-term VLCDs. Even in that worst-case scenario, your RMR should not have been below 1000. The myth of survival/starvation mode has its roots in something called adaptive thermogenesis. While you certainly should have been affected by AT, eating at a deficit for that long, I can't find any studies that have shown a reduction in BMR as great as the one you've seen.

If your results are real, you might consider submitting to more involved tests. You'd be the only case I know of that has seen these results and I'm sure many of the people who make their living studying these things would love to study you :)

You said it better than I could. A RMR of 875 sounds ridiculously low. I read the whole thing and it doesn't make sense to me. I'm wondering if maybe the test isn't as accurate as the OP thinks. How do you go from an RMR of 75 to 1400 something, down to 1075? Yes, the more weight you lose, the less your TDEE is, but I feel like something is missing.

Actually, you can find all kind of case studies on the fact the body can adjust fast.

Look up some fasting studies where they measure RMR regularly through for some a week. RMR goes up in first 72 hrs almost always, then takes a nose-dive within the next 24 hrs. And not because a mass of muscle was suddenly lost. These are people not exactly active while fasting, so not really burning much in TDEE the entire time. The body just has ability to adapt fast many times.
    Sadly it seems better at adapting slower in a fast manner, but speeding up in a slow manner.

And you'll find that low of an RMR in all kinds of case studies of people.

Also, studies I've seen show higher RMR in endurance athletes. Resting HR may indeed be lower by a whole say 15 bpm, but the heart doesn't exactly burn a huge amount with that slight of a difference, even if it is one of the bigger metabolic organs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    @Kim55555 - great results, I knew it could be turned around.

With all the great workouts - has inches changed more than you thought, or perhaps more than prior experience of weight and inches lost?
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Hi, thanks! :smile:

I'll have my inches measured again in 2 weeks. Every 4 weeks I get it done. I cant remember how many inches lost.

I've been mostly taking note of my clothes size. Ive gone down 1-2 sizes, fitting into a lot more of my clothes I wore at my lighter weight.

My progression has been like the other times.

I'll upload a couple of photos from my mobile.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    What an interesting read, thanks for the very detailed posting.
  • Kim55555

September 2015 - 66 kg

axsfyin9ym8u.png

November 2015 - 63 kg - 32 % body fat

lnp6s2szr8wk.png

And here is what I'm wanting to get back to when I weighed 57 kg and 25 % body fat
  • Kim55555
    This photo is what I want to get back to! It was taken when I weighed 57 kg and my body fat % was 25 %.

rc29zkmt7imj.png
  • Kim55555
    What an interesting read, thanks for the very detailed posting.

Your welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. I've learnt a lot about myself over the past few years.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Great information, @Kim55555, and very interesting. I had my RMR tested through work about 3 months ago with MedGem (10 minute breathing test) and it gave me an RMR of 1470, which the coach said was pretty good for my age (52). I'm pretty much on the same road as you, not really worried about losing more pounds but trying to reduce body fat.
  • Kim55555

Wow 1470 that's awesome!