How many laps around Walmart?

Options
123457»

Replies

• soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Such a funny thread...Now Imma exercise for my Friday night pint. Well, actually I also had a Wednesday beer this week too. What's life without an occasional Wednesday beer...or donut? ...Within my deficit and only 50% of my earned exercise cals, of course... Just wanna be clear.
    But if I ever go over my deficit, I just say this...
    "Oh, great minds of science, past and present, I invoke thee!
    In your name I utter the all powerful word...
    SCIENCE!
    Make those beer calories DISAPPEAR!"
    Boom!
    Six pack!
    Whoops, wrong kind. I forgot to lift heavy.
    Meh, may as well drink it. Another day, another workout.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    After this week I may have to use up my allotted calories on whiskey too. Feels necessary but since I will drink it while I run my *kitten* off waiting tables at the bar I am pretty sure that whiskey doesn't even have time to sink in as calories. So win!
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Reading this post has made me want a donut. Thank goodness I have one sitting on my desk right now. I fit them into my calories at least once a week, as they are the best donuts I've ever eaten (made locally by the wife of someone I work with).

If you can't fit donuts into your diet (and you like to eat them), you're doing it all wrong!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the client who promised to bring us cronuts this week.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    <snip>I also realized that the elderly winter visitors do not care about me keeping my heart rate up and their mission was to sabotage our mission. I think they were covert spy's sent by the calorie force to make us fail. </snip>

Dear Donut Seeker,

The old folks weren't spies from the Calorie Force. Those were Super Special Secret Agents from the Low-Carb Crazy Brigade to keep you away from evil carbs.

Sincerely,

Major Chaos
    Low-Carb Crazy Brigade

PS... Home Depot is better for laps. jussayin

Menards... For the WIN!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

Good thing you have that sexy ole stomach T!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The average Wal-Mart is 197000 square feet. Usually they are shaped in a rectangle so lets say 550'x358' to give us 197,000 square feet. So that would 1,816' around the building. I am going to subtract 25% as a guesstimate on aisle locations and what not. So 1,362'. Guessing that your steps are 24" apart roughly, that would be 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart once. If you really want those donuts, I will assume you are going to walk at a moderate 3.0mph pace. Doing that for one hour will burn about 250-275 calories (about the size of a donut), so you would walk 3 miles in that hour. That would be 15,840'. Taking the 681 steps to go around Wal-Mart, that would be about 23.26 laps. So....based on margin of error. My guess is 22-25 laps should do it...

Let's play "how many times can @Hornsby 's abs come up in the forums in one week?"
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Let's play "how many times can @Hornsby 's abs come up in the forums in one week?"

in
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

In!

tumblr_m78g3ydCUt1qfndeu.gif
  • branflakes1980
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    I used to hate grocery shopping until I got a Fitbit and saw how many more steps it added to my day!

I have a Fitbit, and I still hate grocery shopping. Perhaps that's because I grocery shop five days a week for my job.

But it doesn't count steps while you are pushing the cart with both hands?? So thats when I find myself having to try to steer the stupid thing with one hand so the other arm is doing the normal walking motion. People look at me all crazy but I'm all "gotta get the steps in"
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

In!

tumblr_m78g3ydCUt1qfndeu.gif

A girl's gotta have her eye candy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I used to hate grocery shopping until I got a Fitbit and saw how many more steps it added to my day!

I have a Fitbit, and I still hate grocery shopping. Perhaps that's because I grocery shop five days a week for my job.

But it doesn't count steps while you are pushing the cart with both hands?? So thats when I find myself having to try to steer the stupid thing with one hand so the other arm is doing the normal walking motion. People look at me all crazy but I'm all "gotta get the steps in"

I use the large band and put it around my ankle (have skinny ankles, it's above that that things get dicey!) and track steps that way when at the grocery store or back when my kids were in a stroller still.

It also works, maybe not quite as accurately, if you put it in your pants pocket.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    My Fitbit says I burn 11 calories a minute at my "exercising" pace, so that should be good for a couple of maple donuts per hour. I don't claim to be average, though.

Screw that. Find a fitness tracker that overestimates, work out hard, then go for the cake donuts. Should be good for at least 4 donuts an hour. Without glycogen stores lacking, you can then push hard at the end for a Boston Creme during cool down.

mccindy72 wrote: »
    Nope. I actually don't exercise at all, and if I want a donut, I eat one, and account for it in my calorie goal for the day.
    However, I was simply addressing the one-time scenario presented by the OP in her original post which was only this: walking around a store in order to burn enough calories to account for the calories in one doughnut. Period.
    And science says that any person who wants to burn enough calories to eat the doughnut needs to elevate his or her heart rate, and the OP is a woman. Most women will need to walk for at least an hour to burn the nearly 300 calories in the doughnut.

Science.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. While I agree with the basic idea, you can't solve for multiple variables that are unknown.

I do sincerely appreciate the eating discipline you must have to control weight by diet only. That would be tough for me. I DO tend to go out exercise some calorie intake when I can. I just enjoy food. Will work (out) for donuts.

The occasional donut, ice cream, cookie or cake and still 70lbs down in 1.5 years and still losing and I'm happier than ever. Keeping on doing what I've been doing and enjoying my little treats. Plus I've kept my sense of humor. Yes I rule!

The great part is that you can work off quite a bit of the fun food if that's what works for you. I see people freak out about eating a little too much. I've had days where alcohol alone was almost my calorie allotment for the day!

We should start a workout group... the Krispy Kreme Racing Team. Ride to the donut shop for fuel.

I totally want to steal this and have it printed on a t-shirt. Only I'd change it to chocolate, which is my ultimate weakness.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I use the large band and put it around my ankle (have skinny ankles, it's above that that things get dicey!) and track steps that way when at the grocery store or back when my kids were in a stroller still.

It also works, maybe not quite as accurately, if you put it in your pants pocket.

WHY have I not thought of this.... Brilliant! It's the little things folks. Thank you kind miss :smile:

• branflakes1980
    Options
    And also, this thread was delightful. Even with the momentary seriousness and sour pussness that started to almost happen, still delightful, made me smile and for that I thank you.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't. I didn't post anything based on laps, or anything like that. My post simply stated that the OP would have to walk at a pace quick enough to raise her heart rate, and that she would have to walk for more than an hour to burn off enough calories to earn that doughnut. Since the average doughnut is well over 250 calories (and she was talking about a maple something dougnut, which is likely well over 300), any average person at a walking pace, will have to walk for over an hour to burn that many calories. No assumptions there.

Regardless of the science involved, no post anywhere in the forums deserves name calling, joking or not.

Reality shows that assumptions were still involved.
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. You have to walk at a very brisk pace to get your heart pumping, and then you'd still have to walk for well over an hour at that pace to earn that doughnut.

Stating "well over an hour" assumes quite a few things. The OPs weight, the pace at which she walked, how fast her heart rate climbs, her basic cardiovascular health, her age, and the size and type of the donut which would determine the calories needed to break even on the event.

I generally agree with your statement of not being able to out exercise a bad diet. But we're talking about a single donut here. I often out exercise a trip to the food trucks with a couple beers involved. I can appreciate that you're one of the people that often brings up the valid point of weight loss being possible without exercise, as many overlook that as a potential choice. But in the terms of a single donut, even someone who doesn't exercise could fit that into their day.

Stated later in the post you said....
    Anyone who just came in to actually find out about this needs to know that it's not a good idea to think they can lose weight by just taking a walk and eating things like doughnuts.

Are you saying you never ate a donut or any other "junk food" snack the entire time period you couldn't exercise? Context is everything, and leaving out details leads to lack of complete context.

Nope. I actually don't exercise at all, and if I want a donut, I eat one, and account for it in my calorie goal for the day.
    However, I was simply addressing the one-time scenario presented by the OP in her original post which was only this: walking around a store in order to burn enough calories to account for the calories in one doughnut. Period.
    And science says that any person who wants to burn enough calories to eat the doughnut needs to elevate his or her heart rate, and the OP is a woman. Most women will need to walk for at least an hour to burn the nearly 300 calories in the doughnut.

Science.

The rest of us are addressing this part of the OP:

"lol it may take a while because for some reason we find our quest hilarious and we can't stop laughing... Hey can we count the laughing into calories burned!? Stay tuned for lap updates :D"

Note the "lol," "hilarious," two "laughing," and the smilie.

that has nothing to do with the post I was reply to at all.

You said you were addressing X. My point is that most of were addressing the humor in the OP. Also, the OP herself has told you repeatedly to lighten up.

By calling names? I don't respond to name calling by 'lightening up'.

No one name called. Sayin someone is a spoil sport is not name calling. Lightening up might do you some good.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was looking forward to the total and was disappointed that your fellow shoppers prevented you from getting it.

Good idea, though! :)
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also learned our 3 year old did not find it as fun to walk past the toy aisle a dozen plus times as we did.

OMG - this made me laugh so hard. I have this picture in my mind of your 3 year old trying to stop and play with toys while you tried to keep it moving. Poor thing. :)
  • LeeMay63
    LeeMay63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This discussion makes me want to walk around Walmart, Target,etc and get a new Fitbit. Also, it made me smile. Thanks guys.