Favorite Protein Bar?

Options

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Heads up for any vegans, vegetarians, and/or people who do not wish to consume dairy/lactose, soy, or gluten out there. I bought a D's Naturals Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip bar last time I went to GNC. I do not have any of the above dietary requirements; the bar simply looked tasty to me and the nutritional facts were spot on when it comes to what I'm looking for in a protein bar. It was honestly one of the better protein bars I've had. So much so that I went to their website and ordered a sampler pack of the four protein bar flavors and both flavors of their protein almond fluffbutter.

I also picked up the Muscletech Mission1 bars in Cookies & Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Chocolate Brownie. I've only tried the cookie dough one thus far and I wasn't really impressed. It was better after I microwaved it, but it was tougher than Quest, Combat Crunch, and Fit Elite in texture. I also picked up a GNC Puregde Protein Bar in Rich Chocolate Cake. It wasn't terrible, but it also needed to be microwaved for a while since it was extremely hard in texture.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The Quest bars are the best I've found so far. The protein source is high quality (stay away from soy.) They have a good amount of both protein and fiber. Net carbs is usually in the 3-6 grams range.

I have found other bars that were tempting until I read the ingredients closely. Soy protein & sugar are valid grounds to exclude a particular brand in my opinion. Many are little more that a marketing ploy to sell candy bars.
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The equivalent to the girl scout thin mint cookie - Balance bar in the mint crunch flavor! They're amazing! The macros on them are perfect and I usually buy in bulk when they go on sale for 79 cents each! You can't beat that. Word of warning though, do NOT try any other flavor, they're terrible, haha.

Honestly it's the only bar I'll buy now, who doesn't want a healthy girl scout cookie ?!
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention I do also love Larry and Lenny's protein cookies. I literally have a box of each of the like, fifteen flavors. A little high calorie but I mean, what do you expect with an actual cookie? I usually will eat half of one because they're gigantic anyway.

They're delicious and on sale you can get a box of 12 for $17.99
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ahawkx wrote: »
    Oh I forgot to mention I do also love Larry and Lenny's protein cookies. I literally have a box of each of the like, fifteen flavors. A little high calorie but I mean, what do you expect with an actual cookie? I usually will eat half of one because they're gigantic anyway.

www.vitaminshoppe.com has a special 30% off sale on Lenny & Larry's cookies & brownies going on now. The cookies were around $13.00 & the Brownies were around $17.00 per box.

Not sure how long the sale will last. I am thinking maybe just until tonight.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »
    How has nobody mentioned Combat Crunch bars yet? Those are the new kids on the block imo

Ditto.

I broke up with Quest. Combat Crunch is my new favorite. Decent on the calorie to protein ratio and delicious. The birthday cake one is so cool. If you put it in the microwave for literally only 6-7 seconds it's amazing, the inside is kind of doughy/cakey

I wish GNC would get more boxes of the Birthday Cake flavor! Every time I have a coupon or need some more bars they never have any or at the most one or two bars.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    brb2008 wrote: »
    DO NOT TRY QUEST BARS, they had a formula change are now disgusting. It was very recently they did this, so every good thing you've heard is about the old recipe. The new ones are horrid.

Well, this is simply an opinion of yours. Certainly worth sharing, but I happen to really like the quest bars, and only just started eating them two weeks ago so they might be this new formula and I enjoy them. They fit my goals calorie and carb wise, and I like the choc peanut butter, double choc chunk, and white choc raspberry the best so far! I had the cinnamon roll flavor but didnt enjoy it as much as the others. I have yet to try the lemon cheescake I think it was, that looks like it could handle my toughest cravings for sweets!

They wont be for everyone but they're my personal favorite and recommend them to my own friends :)

It just sucks because they USED to be amazing and incredible and the best tasting protein bar around. If you never tried them before the formula change you won't understand. No one I knew who used to religiously eat the old bars still likes them after the change. I guess it's the type of thing where if you never had the chance to taste the amazing flavor they once were you don't know what your missing.

Cosigned.

My Vita Fiber got here today. I've got ideas to experiment on my own concoctions.

Let me know how they turn out! I actually am wishing some small company will start making the old formula under a different name or something very similar. I would buy those lol

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have all those unsweetened freeze-dried fruits that will be good for using in the bars. I'm going there today to stock up on them. I want to make a bar with coconut and pineapple in it!

If you can buy Lorann oils near you, they are great for adding flavour and you only need about 1/16 tsp per bar. I make a raspberry white chocolate with the Lorann raspberry oil and a few white chocolate chips. The butterscotch oil and about 7g of chopped walnuts is awesome too. Dark cocoa powder is good for making brownie bars with organic cocoa nibs or dark chocolate mini chips for crunch with few calories.

I'll look on Amazon, thanks! I've already made some peanut butter bars with peanut butter protein powder and pb2 and they are terrific. Next time I'm adding chocolate chips. I'm sorry I didn't start making my own sooner. It's dead simple.

Once I get through the stash of protein bars I've just bought I'll have to try to make my own.

How much is the Vita Syrup?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How has nobody mentioned Combat Crunch bars yet? Those are the new kids on the block imo

Ditto.

I broke up with Quest. Combat Crunch is my new favorite. Decent on the calorie to protein ratio and delicious. The birthday cake one is so cool. If you put it in the microwave for literally only 6-7 seconds it's amazing, the inside is kind of doughy/cakey

I wish GNC would get more boxes of the Birthday Cake flavor! Every time I have a coupon or need some more bars they never have any or at the most one or two bars.

I find that most stores don't keep a good stock of the Combat bars. There's either nothing choclately (I don't care for cinnamon bun) or they're out of the chocolate cake or birthday cake. The birthday cake is so surprisingly good and I normally don't like vanilla.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I wish I could eat the Lenny and Larry's. I mean, I'm bulking and those are still high calorie for me :(
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    ahawkx wrote: »

Not to scare you but, if you didn't know, half a cookie is a serving size...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, definitely!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I recently found some called Simply Protein Whey bars...my favorite flavors (so far) are chocolate mint and coconut.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

Ditto.

I find that most stores don't keep a good stock of the Combat bars. There's either nothing choclately (I don't care for cinnamon bun) or they're out of the chocolate cake or birthday cake. The birthday cake is so surprisingly good and I normally don't like vanilla.

GNC online has boxes of Combat boxes of Bars buy two get one free.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    There are new ones out there called Power Crunch. The peanut butter cream is actually to die for. They're called wafers, and they are almost like eating a kitkat. I can get them at Walmart, and they're fabulous.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Quest Nutrition is working on their recipes and sending out samples to test groups. Hopefully they are able to fix the taste without compromising the calorie to protein ratio. Its cyber Monday and I want to stock up but my favorites Chocolate Chunk and Chocolate Peanut Butter are not worth it anymore:( I told myself once I'm done with my products with sucralose I will only do stevia or no sweetner which only leaves cinnamon roll and banana nut muffin which are ok. I need CHOCOLATE!
  • arditarose
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Quest Nutrition is working on their recipes and sending out samples to test groups. Hopefully they are able to fix the taste without compromising the calorie to protein ratio. Its cyber Monday and I want to stock up but my favorites Chocolate Chunk and Chocolate Peanut Butter are not worth it anymore:( I told myself once I'm done with my products with sucralose I will only do stevia or no sweetner which only leaves cinnamon roll and banana nut muffin which are ok. I need CHOCOLATE!

lol I saw they posted something about having a sale on Facebook. I mentioned something about not bothering because of the new formula thinking I'd be the only one but there were pages and pages of responses that were like "no thanks".

So they are really re-working the formula again?

• arditarose
    Options

Ditto.

GNC online has boxes of Combat boxes of Bars buy two get one free.

I tend to buy them one at a time because I have issues keeping them in the house with me. I'm working on moderation but tend to fail a bit too often.

• besee_2000
    Options

They "accidently" sent an email asking for top favorites and will send 2 free boxes. There was a follow-up email that it was sent to all and should have been only to the beta groups. I also follow Dr. Sarah Solomon (fitness model) and she posted a video testing a re-reformulated Cookie Dough. She seemed pretty pleased. It gives me hope.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »

They "accidently" sent an email asking for top favorites and will send 2 free boxes. There was a follow-up email that it was sent to all and should have been only to the beta groups. I also follow Dr. Sarah Solomon (fitness model) and she posted a video testing a re-reformulated Cookie Dough. She seemed pretty pleased. It gives me hope.

Well, I can't wait then because even after the supposedly "horrible" new formula, I haven't found protein bars that can hold a candle to the taste and texture of Quest bars. Fit Elite, Mission1 Muscletech, and Combat Crunch were all gross. Only the Chocolate Cookie Dough Combat Crunch was good, the rest were sickeningly sweet with that bar coating. The only other protein bars I've enjoyed thus far are the D's Naturals No Cow vegan protein bars.
  • besee_2000
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Fit Elite, Mission1 Muscletech, and Combat Crunch were all gross. Only the Chocolate Cookie Dough Combat Crunch was good, the rest were sickeningly sweet with that bar coating. The only other protein bars I've enjoyed thus far are the D's Naturals No Cow vegan protein bars.

I'm sad to hear Mission1 didn't turn out to be the Quest replacements I was hoping. I haven't tried them yet and was looking to get the chocolate one because its the only one without sugar. I haven't tried the others because they don't fall into one of my other requirements. Maybe too many calories, not enough protein, sugar or sucralose sweetner, pricier, etc. Taste had been a plus with quest also low carb. I could make my own but they don't match to the old Chocolate Chunk.
    I did ponder on the D's Naturals though. I think I wanted to research them first though.