Too heavy to run

Options
Hi everybody,

I'm 37 years old and weigh 109.5 kg (this morning). My highest weight was about 123 kg. I would like to start jogging and do a bit of running, but at this weight I feel too heavy for that, and I'm also worried something bad might happen if I start too early, so I'm waiting until I am under 100 kg or so.

Any advice? What is a good weight to do jogging or running? If you lost weight, at what weight did you start jogging or running?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    It really depends on the state of your joints, particularly your feet, knees and hips. Anyone can run SOME distance. I would recommend trying a Couch to 5K program. There's lots of apps for smartphones for it. Essentially it takes you from not running at all and slowly builds up over the weeks to being able to complete a 5km run.

If you have the cardiovascular capacity to briskly walk for half an hour, and your feet and joints don't hurt, try adding a slow jog for 30 to 60 seconds a few times during your walk. Continue to add intensity until your joints start to complain (you mightn't feel it until the next day, so ramp up intensity slowly so you don't overshoot your ability).

If you find an intensity level that makes your joints hurt, then back off intensity slightly and train at that level for a few weeks before trying to up your intensity again.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just start slow. Stop making excuses. If it hurts then stop. At least you tried.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses. Walk until you can run if that is a goal for you. Start with a block if that is all you can manage.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Walk to start. I did. Once around the block turned into twice around the block, turned into once around three blocks, turned into a mile walk, turned into a mile with a quarter of that jogged,... turned into 4 miles in 44 minutes. A journey of a thousand miles starts but with one step. Take that step. Stat slow and progress as you progress.

Stop to smell the roses along the way. Enjoy.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I'm 37 years old and weigh 109.5 kg (this morning). My highest weight was about 123 kg. I would like to start jogging and do a bit of running, but at this weight I feel too heavy for that, and I'm also worried something bad might happen if I start too early, so I'm waiting until I am under 100 kg or so.

Any advice? What is a good weight to do jogging or running? If you lost weight, at what weight did you start jogging or running?

Thank you in advance.

Walk, then walk some more. If you cannot walk the distance you plan to run, it is not a good idea to try running it anyway. If you can walk, then you can start adding running intervals. Slow running intervals to start with.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

Thank you in advance.

I started running when I was about 10-15 pound heavier than you and I have knee problems. I started slowly by walking and then jogging slow intervals. I tried the c25k program and always got stuck on week 4 so I joined a local running group for beginners and ran minutes straight the first time out! I am still slow, but I enjoy running and my knee problems aren't as bad anymore. I found out that my knee and ankles collapse inwards when I run and I ordered custom orthotics to wear in my shoes that have helped immensely!

Make sure to get good running shoes fitted for you and your gait, and start slowly as in others are walking faster than your jog slowly. You can increase your speed once you have built up your endurance.

Good luck and enjoy your running!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    All decent advice. Progress slowly and be aware of joint pain. Do not confuse sore - stiff muscles, from joint pain. Joint pain is what you want to avoid. Typical routine for complete newcomers is something like

Do each of these for about 3 or 4 sessions (30 mins or so)
    walk....walk briskly....increase the distance.....throw in some interval jogs(less than a minute to start) then walk until lungs and heart recover.....stretch out those intervals....soon enough you will be jogging for more of the distance than walking.
    May take you a few months to get to the point where you are jogging for 5+ minutes but you will get there.
    Have fun

There are other options like biking, swimming and elliptical trainer which have less impact. Running is not easy on the body though. I'm not sure there is a 'weight limit', and I've seen some pretty large people run half marathons! You have to listen to your body!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. Give it a try and if it hurts too much, do walking for now until some weight loss.

When I run races, I see all sizes out running including your weight.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Agree with some posters; why not walk? You can start at a slow pace if you're confortable with that, & increase your speed gradually until you are power-walking @ a fast pace. Your breathing & endurance will improve, your weight will decrease, & your leg muscles will strengthen to help your knees. Once you feel good woth that, you can start to jog. No need to rush, take your time, but it will work. Good luck!
  • Drizzle_3732
    Drizzle_3732 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was a problem for me at first. I didn't like running therefore I started swimming and riding my bike instead of running. It didn't even feel like I was exercise. I felt great and I looked great. Try it! :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1) jogging is running
    2) get shoes from a running store. tell them your goals, weight if they asked(be honest), and what sort of terrain you will be on. they should watch you walk and run(just a few strides) to see what shoes will fit you best. and buy those shoes, though you can ask if they have any of last years model.
    3) see if you can walk briskly for a half hour. if you cannot, work on walking briskly for a block and then walk normal.-or whatever measure of distance you want to use
    3) when you can do that, use a structured plan to get started. while they aren't for everyone, they are great for beginners. they help you not do too much too soon. examples: zombie run and couch to 5k
    4) follow the program and go slow.
    5)be kind to yourself. when i started my mind was not very nice while i tried to run. ignore it. tell yourself you are doing great and you will feel so much better and whatever other positive affirmations you can think of

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to run and overwork your joints.
    Project your joints.
    Do walking, swimming, weight lifting.
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you want to jog, do it! But yeah, get a couch to 5k training program. Also get good shoes! Baby those feet when you start.
    If you do the couch to 5k, remember you can advance at whatever pace is comfortable to you. If you want to do week 1 day3 for 3 weeks in a row, then do it. Advance at a pace that feels good to you. If you are worried about impact injuries, pay special attention to those spots. Ice if needed, and take rest days seriously.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have good shoes, especially if you have had any foot problems or flat feet. Most lower priced running shoes are neutral shoes and are designed for ideal feet. If you have flat feet or any foot/ankle problems then you might need a support shoe. You need to take care of your feet because they will take a lot of abuse and you don't want to be sidelined with a preventable injury.

C25K is a good program that a lot of people have had success with. Just take it at your own pace. If you can't do the full running interval then walk. If you feel like you didn't do well on a session or like the running volume is increasing too fast, then do the same workout next time.

Don't compare compare yourself to others. It will just encourage you to push too hard. Embrace your own journey to fitness.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're not comfortable running yet, walk. Walking is fantastic exercise.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A friend of mine started by doing the couch to 5k but walking the run bits as fast as possible! They did the full 9 weeks then started it again but ran the run parts.

Start now, you really can do it and congratulations on your weight loss so far :)

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I started out walking. Gradually started jogging some and really only run in races. Consistency is your key. Good Luck on your Journey
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walk
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Then walk faster

then faster