WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    DJ, check your blood pressure with all that lightheadedness, your pressure could be too high or too low. Take care all! Karen from NY
  • juliemartinoli
    juliemartinoli Posts: 3 Member
    Good morning, I'm back :) I'm trying to recover from eating a whole large bag of smokehouse almonds. My goal for today is 8 glasses of water.
    I'm driving an hour to pick up my mom for Thanksgiving. First I'm going to clean up the kitchen and go to the grocery store.
    I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts.
    Julie from Washington State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,522 Member
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Working hard ? ! ?
    0glvztwc1hgs.jpeg
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Gee - C.R.S. when it comes to answering people; and, if I go back a page (if I don't save my post) only erases posts and I forget what I meant to say to some.

As for the holistic plan to treat the thyroid, she first needs to go to a MD to find out whether she is hyperthyroid (high) or hypothyroid (low) before she tries that and talk it over with him and get his advice - he might be more receptive if you get that information from the place you want to buy stuff from. Maybe you take a lot of other meds and you just don't want to take another pill. My DDnL#1 is now convinced she is hypothyroid because no matter what she eats, she gains instead of losing; but, she definitely is not using portion control and eating slowly. Not cutting out sodas - drinks 1 - 2 a day, and not exercising. DOGD looks like she has lot a 'little' weight. I think our discussing with her has made her think for about it. She is supposed to go to a MD sometime in mid-January or February; but, she has found a place that will do some of the bloodwork for a much lower amount; and, then I told her that she'd still have to go to MD to get a mammogram (she has large boobs and probably needs one since they are so dense) and a GYN exam, too. But, that is all I said to her.

DYS came home, sleep most of the first night and part of the next day sleeping (9 hour drive); and, then yesterday got a bad (probably) sinus infection. Took a couple of Advil and promptly went back to sleep and slept like a rock all night long, except to get up off the couch to go to his bed. Today he went to the Convenient Care place to get some medication. His wife called twice last night (texted him) and we could not get him awake for anything; he would respond to me - mainly because I have a 'cheerleader' voice; but, when told she had contacted him twice, he just grunted. So I texted her and told her he was asleep on the couch, like a rock and we could not wake him.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) We are having "tofurky" with wild rice stuffing for Thanksgiving because we don't eat meat. On Friday I've been invited to have lunch at a friend's house. She told me that she was sure that there would be something I could eat including a veggie quiche that she was making that was crustless for a gluten intolerant guest with "just a little bit of pork" in it. It reminded me of this great video I saw on YouTube and had to share it with you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TX9EAavxrus

Thanks Barbie, have seen it before but it cracks me up every time.

Janetr
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    DJ, If low blood pressure you might feel light headed when bending over or standing up quickly. I occassionally experience vertigo, but only if i miss taking daily Loratadine for allergy/rhinitis

Happy Holidays to Everyone here. Im sorry im not good with names. Ive admired the pottery, laughed at the Outhouse pics, and the Scale cartoon someobe posted for me. I sympathize with the family and health problems.

I've been using MFP for about 16 mos. Lost not only the10 lbs I expected, but another 10 I hoped for, then another 10 I never imagined I could lose. Started Beginner Lifting Challenge when it popped up on MFP in July. Have since expanded the exercises, and increased dumbbells to 10lbs. First mistake, not to be repeated, was using more than i could handle (8lbs then) with bad posture. Zumba routines via YouTube were great. Need to mix it up though, starting to drift from cardio.

First and only Grandbaby snuggled next to me for his nap.

Linda from NJ (although i kind of like the idea of being a Greek goddess, lol)
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Barbie - I can't watch videos at work, so I will watch the youtube at home, but I have a cousin who is vegetarian, so your story made me laugh. Do you eat meat-subsitutes like Boca burgers? One year for a birthday party my cousin was SO grateful that I made sloppy joes out of crumbled boca. I also offered several different cheeses and hummus. It sounds like your friend was trying, but just doesn't "get it". Thanks for the laugh !
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    :)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Good morning! It's supposed to rain here for the next three days, so we will be indoors most of that time. We're going to the lake this afternoon and staying two nights. The kids will be at their mom's for a few days, but everybody is coming to our house for dinner on Sunday. My son suggested that we have a belated thanksgiving dinner, but I said no, I did that last Sunday. I'm not doing it again. Just because he flaked out and didn't come doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I took the girls to the dentist yesterday afternoon and the oldest was a dream! She was so brave and sat patiently through the shots and drilling and everything. I was so proud of her! The younger one...not so much. She was screaming, crying, clamping her mouth shut and refusing to cooperate. I had to hold her down part of the time. And that was WITH laughing gas. Well, it finally got done. She was still crying and complaining when we got in the car. Then I told them that I was planning to give them each ten dollars as a reward for being so brave and getting their fillings. The tears SUDDENLY stopped. Huh! Amazing what money can do. And I told them that they have to go back in April for another checkup, and if they take care of their teeth and don't have any cavities they will each get more money. Hubby and I had been talking about how the kids need to get a little money once in a while so they can learn how to use it. So, this was a good opportunity for that. And hopefully incentive to take better care of their teeth.

Well, I'd better run. Have a great weekend.

Sylvia
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    I've been meaning to say this for a while... All you lovely ladies who live in the NW, that is my origin! I now live in mid-Michigan, but was born in Pullman, WA and from there my family moved to Seattle, Reedsport, OR and San Mateo, CA, before moving to Michigan!

Even though I don't have memories of Pullman (I was about 2 when we left there), it has been a part of my family background and thus special to me.

Elaine in Lansing
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Working hard ? ! ?
    0glvztwc1hgs.jpeg

Very cute!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    :heart:
  • pipcd34
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Dr. Katiebug: I love your turkey snack tray!! What a great idea. :flowerforyou:

Gloria: Congratulations on the interview. Use the time to get ready so you feel your best but don't worry yourself. I think that employment decisions are like matchmaking. If you're relaxed and confident you make a good impression. :flowerforyou:

Rori: I love your gratitude list. Since I didn't read your post until today, it is possible you've already had the appointment with your DH's doctor. I hope it went/goes well. :heart:

Frances from Sidney, Australia & Elaine: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Pip: I'm also glad you didn't fall and the office sounds like the perfect place for the plant. :flowerforyou:

Want2bSlim: I love the "stop beating yourself up" message! We need to encourage ourselves and one another. :flowerforyou:

We've been to the grocery store for Thanksgiving supplies and are prepping things to cook tomorrow. I needed a little down time, so I came downstairs for a little quiet, and to touch bases with all of you. So far I'm really enjoying this trip. My son will be arriving late this evening and there will be a houseful of people for tomorrow's festivities. Some will be relatives of DDIL's family and others will be friends of such long standing that they qualify as honorary relatives. I expect it will be a lovely event.

Katla temporarily in Beautiful Kentucky

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    stat for the day:
    Spin- 40min, 83ar, 91aw, 10-12g, 137ahr, 168mhr = 431c

ar = average revolutions -how fast i'm pedaling per minute
    aw = average watts -how much power i'm putting out per minute
    g or ag = average gear -on spin bike, they are 1-24
    ap = average pace / minute mile
    ahr = average heart rate
    mhr = maximum heart rate
    c = calories

I posted on FB this morning, "last day of driving the beast then back to bike riding on Monday!" one of my nephews replied (I know he was just typing out of concern) "Stop the bike riding for sakes! U saw what happened?"

it rubbed me the wrong way. I replied

"R u kidding me? Its like saying u got in a car accident, are u going to stop driving???? that's what we do, you drive, I ride"
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Hi to all my friends here. I know I haven't been here much and I hope that changes soon. In the meantime, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving! Meg from Omaha where ice is supposed to visit us tomorrow.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    afternoon ladies~
    wow I have been running hell bent for election since 6 this morning.... I am pooped... pumpkin pie in oven, made stuffing celery and onions and threw in a few dried cranberries in, and made homemade cranberry sauce
    laundry washed and in the dryer and finally sitting for a few minutes...
    Hoping everyone has a safe and wonderful Holiday.. I am debating on if I want to drag my laptop to the cape I have the Ipad mini that I can bring and much easier to carry..
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    @exermom I suppose if you don't wish to part with an original (photo) then a photocopy will be fine :-) I will reinforce it with heavier paper. I just like the glossy look to actual photos... Im picky! lol Thanks again!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    @GloworminWA We have a Fred Meyer on the coast here, but no huge stores to speak of. I have checked with them and summer suits have come and gone in their inventory. When I was trying to find some Navy blue low heels to go with my dress I had NO luck either. Thank God for the internet, because I found some, and will do the same with a new suit come December. There is a company that I have heard that replaces your suit if it gets any chlorine damage, need to find which one.... Thanks for your message!
    Happy Thanksgiving friend!
    Becca