Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am happy to hear you all had a good thanksgiving and congrats to our runners with your turkey trots. Who knows maybe next year you will be hearing about mine :). I had a nice holiday with my family. Then rather then black friday shopping a group of 10 of us went up into the olympics and went hiking. We had 5 adults and 5 kids and for the first time I wasnt bringing up the rear. I was able to stay easily in the middle of our sprawled out pack and didnt have to be the one requesting rest breaks. I wish I could figure out how to post pics as we got some beautiful shots with the snow/frost contrasting with the deep green of the woods. So much better then fighting crowds and shopping. Well I am off to get my nails done with my daughter then a long day of housework and computer training for the new job. Have a great day everyone. :):)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success ... That I'm up and about, having a terrible time with 'the blues' the past couple of days and it's affecting my sleep and activity patterns today. However, the day is still young so maybe I'll be able to shore myself up a bit later on.

@jtconst ... you didn't ask for advice on how to post pictures, so I hope you don't mind if I tell you that you do so by using one of the icons above the reply window box. On my screen, it the the icon that looks like a page with a folded over upper corner. When you click on that you can either 'drag and drop', or upload from 'choose file'.

Glad everyone who's posted had nice experiences, for the most part, on Thanksgiving.

I was able to attend the family gathering after all. I'm thinking this whole Thanksgiving Day affair is getting to be too much for my sister, who has hosted it for the past 10-15 years now. My poor sis was so flustered and tired, and very irritated from the stress she was feeling that the day was not a good one for her or her 'helpers'. It's time to go our separate ways on the 'big day'. That will also encourage the younger set to form their own traditions they will take into the future.

The month is over in just 2 more days. Time to make the big push towards getting ready for the end of this year.
    :)

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Had a nice time w my family on Thanksgiving, then thanks to storms & Cowboys game letting out had long drive home (2 hours instead of 1)--lots of traffic. Storms again yesterday (even lost power for several hours last night), so stayed in. Rain again today, Oy I'm water logged! :frowning:

@Tammy~ what a great way to spend Black Friday! Since it was rainy, Zoe & I napped all day while watching movies. Congrats on the new job! :smiley:

@Niki~ Recently I had the "blues," something I NEVER suffer from. Come to find out my Vitamin D3 was drastically low, been taking 5,000IU a day since and can feel a huge difference--if you haven't had yours checked you might ask your doc. Almost everyone is low.

Well as much as I don't want to disturb a sleeping cat, I want to get some chocolate muffins in the oven. :yum: Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Howdy all,
    I am so sorry for neglecting you all. I did go back and read the last couple of pages to try to catch up.
    Life has been crazy lately. I am trying desperatly to catch up but not having much luck.

@Nikion901 - Thank you for posting so faithfully. The blues are nothing to take lightly. If it persists please see your doctor. I am back on my antidepressants after being off for almost a year. They do help me a great deal. I also use a therapy light, available on Amazon. I also take vitamin D.

@jtconst - Congrats on the new job. I hope all goes well for you.

@Lauriek70 - Wow on the race. I am so very happy for you. I know you have been working very hard on your running now you can reap the rewards of all that hard work.
    Tell your parents congrats from me. 50 years is quite the accomplishment.

@Ann_Marie_2x_MORE - A backpacking trip sounds wonderful. Good job on scoring the buys on Black Friday.

@skinnyjeanzbound - I read your post about Thanksgiving with the crowd. It is so very frustrating to watch these events unfold and feel so powerless. But know that your niece is also learning how to deal with difficult people.

@tootsanderson - Welcome back. I am so glad you survived the single mom marathon. I hope you find a few minutes for yourself more often.

AFM:
    Work is still crazy, this is our busiest time of year. Everyone wants their home to look good for the holidays. I am still recovering from my trip to Nebraska and Colorado. I will have to take a week off in December to have varicose vein surgery on my right leg. I had it done 3 years ago and they have to go back and do more. Hopefully then it will be done.

I injured my left knee at the gym on Friday. I cannot get into the doc until Monday. I already had an appointment scheduled on another issue so this works out well. I could not get in on Friday unless it was a true emergency. I am getting through fine on naproxen and a brace I found at Walmart. I did a little research and am a little apprehensive. I should know better than to try to do my own diagnosis.

Oldest son still does not have a drivers license so I am picking him up from work at 1AM 2 or 3 nights a week. This really does a number on my sleep schedule. So working out is not a top priority at this time. I am up a few pounds and trying to get this under control.

Hubby will be moving out at the end of December. It looks like I will have to buy him out of the house. I am filing separation papers soon. Things between us are a bit tense but not nasty. We are still talking about the relevant things. Some of the pressure is off because he is no longer not meeting my expectations. I have none. So that makes it easier to be nice to him.

I'll come back when I can.

Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @lori-- good to see you back. Glad things are moving along civilly for you and the husband; that's better than most folks I know who've split. Ouch on the knee! I hope the doc confirms it's nothing too serious. I'm also up a few pounds since the start of the school year when I got sick, but getting back to the gym just a couple times a week has already taken off 2 of the 5 gained. Thanks for the wisdom regarding my niece. I know you are right about her needing to learn to deal with all kinds of personalities. Once she's a little bit older, I don't think it will bother me as much, but at only 3 years old, she barely knows how to deal with herself when she's being difficult. LOL

@kelley-- hope your weather clears up so you can get out and about. Chocolate muffins?!?! Yum!

@niki-- is there any way you can tactfully suggest that some of the younger generation take over the bulk of the holiday dinner? I would think they would offer to do so without prompting, but maybe they are afraid of seeming pushy. A well-placed comment about how the workload seems to be getting to be too much for your sister might give them the hint to take the reigns. Then you and your sis can just contribute a dish and enjoy being guests.

@tammy-- although I love living in Chicago, I do wish we had better options for hiking. We have nearby forest preserves, but they are kind of flat and boring. In order to get any real elevation, we need to drive a few hours north, west, or south.

@faith-- welcome!

@laurie-- congrats to your parents; I hope the party was fun and festive! My parents will be celebrating their 50th in June. :)

@annmarie-- glad your brother is doing well.

Saturday Success:
    As I mentioned to lori above, I had gained a few pounds aver the past 2 months. Not at all a surprise considering my lack of exercise while I was sick. My normal range had been 182-187, but a couple of weeks ago the scale was freading 192--yikes! So one success is that with just a little bit of exercise and mindfulness with food choices, I was down to 190 this morning. I want to be back into my normal range by Christmas, so will be working toward that short-term goal.

DH and I went to watch a flag football game his employers organized for their work crew this morning. By the time we got home it was already after noon, so I moved my planned gym visit to tomorrow.

My other success was finishing grading goal #1 this afternoon. Tomorrow I will finish 3 and 4, and perhaps I'll even get started on those AP essays. ;)

Grading Goals:
    1. 59/59 M1948 theme journals DONE
    2. 59/59 Scarlet Letter diction posts DONE
    3. x/10 Shakespeare analysis activities
    4. x/10 Grendel analysis activities
    5. x/41 AP essays
    6. 2/4 student rec letters

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- rest day WALKED GUNNER
    Thurs-- Turkey Trot 5k DONE
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Oh, the organization that places wreaths on all of the graves at Arlington National Cemetery is short funds this year meaning some veterans' graves may not get wreaths. Just $15 pays for a wreath. You can donate in the name of a loved one living or passed--I donated in memory of my Uncle who served in the Army. Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Karen-Congrats on getting the grading done. I have also been experiencing the uptick in weight gain. It is driving

JT- Great job on the hike.

This has been a busy weekend with multiple celebrations luckily most did not involve food. I am posting a couple of pictures of my parents on their wedding day and now today. Then photo from the military honor guard that Hospice of the Chesapeake provided for my dad today. It was a wonderful presentation and my dad enjoyed every moment of it.

aalnwbptm10c.jpg
    9mwb145irk6f.jpg
    mjn3c0asfrl3.jpg
    ihp43icahnmx.jpg
  • FaithIt365
    FaithIt365 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Oh, the organization that places wreaths on all of the graves at Arlington National Cemetery is short funds this year meaning some veterans' graves may not get wreaths. Just $15 pays for a wreath. You can donate in the name of a loved one living or passed--I donated in memory of my Uncle who served in the Army. Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/

My sorority chapter is donating funds. We will also be helping out with placing the wreaths. Placing these wreaths is a great gesture in support of those who served.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I want to post this message to all of you who are trying to lose a lot of weight. Losing a lot of weight in fact 100 pounds for most people that are on this thread is a huge undertaking. It is something that for many of us is necessary to our health and necessary to increase our own personal happiness . Even though I have lost only half of the weight that I want to lose( a little over 50 pounds) , it has already changed my life for the better. I feel better ,have more energy and I'm more willing to try new things. To those of you that are struggling I just want to say don't ever give up. You can do it. It is worth it.
  • FaithIt365
    FaithIt365 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    To those of you that are struggling I just want to say don't ever give up. You can do it. It is worth it.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. And keep up the good work!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @mel-- great message, and so true! I've lost 60 and could stand to lose 20-30 more, but even after the first 30 lbs or so, my fitness level and ability to enjoy activities greatly improved.

@faith-- that's awesome!

@laurie-- love the pictures of your family and the honor guard!

Has anyone had contact with robin? I know she was having computer problems, but it's been awhile and I'm starting to get worried about her. Also, missing some of the other regulars-- kaye, tom, tracy, angelika, and several others. If you guys are still following, I hope you are doing well. :smile:

Sunday Share:
    A quick share for the new folks. I am karen, a HS English Lit teacher from Chicago. I am married with one fur-kid, my 90 lb boxer/shepherd, gunner who will be turning 10 this winter--double digits for my baby! I started on MFP in March of 2011 when my weight was nearing 250 lbs. I had always been active and didn't eat terribly, I was just eating too much of the healthy stuff. I was resistant to the idea of calorie counting b/c whenever I'd tried it in the past, it was so much work that I became consumed with food 24/7 and quickly gave up. MFP made it so simple that I was able to stick with it without becoming obsessed with every bite I took.

When I started MFP, I had been going to the gym regularly for about a year, mainly doing light weights and the elliptical. As I upped my exercise, I started to have hip issues (common with a lot of elliptical users) by June of 2011, so I decided to start running. I used the couch to 5k program and ran my 1st 5k in August of 2011. Since then I've run many more and a few 8ks as well. I even met laurie and susan (from this thread) in NYC in September 2014 to run the Tunnel to Towers 5k which was so fun! I've also met another friend who used to post here. Brian, four years in a row to do a local 5k (he lives in Chicagoland as well), and I'm looking forward to seeing laurie, susan, lori, robin, and perhaps some others for the Shamrock Shuffle 8k here in Chicago next April.

I guess that share wasn't as quick as I'd planned. ;)

AFM--I slept in a bit b/c I've had some insomnia the past 2 nights, picked up the dog's yard (ick), and then graded this afternoon. DH walked gunner and I didn't make it to the gym, but will go for sure tomorrow after school. I finished most of the grading I had wanted to complete over break. Tomorrow I will grade the Grendel analyses and get started on the essays while my AP students take unit quizzes.

Grading Goals:
    1. 59/59 M1948 theme journals DONE
    2. 59/59 Scarlet Letter diction posts DONE
    3. 10/10 Shakespeare analysis activities DONE
    4. x/10 Grendel analysis activities
    5. x/41 AP essays
    6. 2/4 student rec letters

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- rest day WALKED GUNNER
    Thurs-- Turkey Trot 5k DONE
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Quick check in - I did talk to Robin last weekend. She was still having compuer problems.
    Lori
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share/intro: hello! I'm not new to MFP, but new to, and excited about this thread/mini-group. I hope nobody minds me butting in to this humble space.
    Anywho, I'm Zoe. I only have about 30 lbs left but would still accept any support that comes my way, especially since I struggle with a health challenge that leaves me in a not-too-comfy bed until further notice. My health care team is supporting my weight loss efforts by guiding me through a diabetic-friendly diet, with a caloric intake that I shan't mention here due to MFP rules, but is lower than usual because I live in a wheelchair since birth, which takes away a lot of calorie burning ability (can't walk 'em off). When I'm not sleeping my life away, I like to worship my Lord and Savior, read, channel-surf on TV, practice crochet, and interact with as many of the people in my life as possible. Before falling ill, I was a thriving college student (Humanities major, Pre-law emphasis, and Spanish minor) who had dreams of becoming a Disability Lawyer who could share God's Good News with her clients. I still believe that this is possible, though, because I would consider myself a pretty smart cookie, brave and strong enough to weather most storms. Funny background story: the OB/GYN who was taking care of Mom during her term with me sadly recommended abortion on grounds that I wouldn't "have a cognizant thought" if born. Oh, how I'd love to shake his hand now! For one thing, that's the wrong word! We experience "cogniTIVE thought, right? Furthermore, I'm in college (and having a simply wonderful life despite occasional moderate discomfort, thanks anyway). Ironic, no? Thus explains my unique name. "Zoe" is Latin for "God-given miracle of abundant life (as opposed to a run-of-the-mill existence)", for which Mom and Dad very fervently prayed upon hearing my Spina Bifida diagnosis. I apologize for the super-long post, but look forward to joining the party that is Robin's Thread.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Sorry I've been absent. I have been reading everyday, but just not taking time to post. I'm kind of down on myself for not being more diligent with my health efforts. I'm letting stress and life get in the way. I've been gaining weight as a reward for my lack of effort. I held at about 175 for a long time. Then between March and June, I gained 10#. I held that for 6 months, but then gained 5# over this last week. I now am 30# from my goal. Nicole is having a free challenge group for the next 2 weeks so I have joined that. I hope that kicks me back into gear. Today I am supposed to do 50 squats and drink half my weight in water, 95 oz. I don't think that will happen, but at I'm sure to drink more than I usually do.
    We had a great Thanksgiving with most of the family here. That counted up to 30 on Thanksgiving day, with the party continuing until Sunday with most of the family. I was disappointed by one thing. I had really looked forward to having walking partners and being able to walk during the day, but Saturday was the only day it happened. Rebecca and her husband have been doing the 21 Day Fix with Nicole so they were really excited to exercise with her and made sure they got in their workouts every morning. That left me with a lot of the load and I just didn't feel that I had time to walk. Since they had already worked out, they weren't concerned about getting in a walk. I'm unhappy with myself for not asking for what I needed. I just kept on truckin', playing the martyr. They felt bad when I told them how I felt and made sure they walked with me on Saturday.
    My wrist has stayed pretty sore from my fall a month ago so I am going in this afternoon to have it checked. It probably just needs more time.
    @Zoe welcome to our little group. I admire your wonderful attitude. Life is what we make it.
    @Lauriek70 loved the family pictures. I'm glad that you were able to have an anniversary celebration for your parents.
    @Karen thanks for prodding me to check in.
    I really appreciate all of you. I'm going to try harder to stay with a healthy life style and get rid of this last 30#. Christmas had better go better than Thanksgiving or I will have more than 30# to lose!
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • zcb94
    Options
    @grandmakaye44, thanks for the welcome. I forgot to mention yesterday that, because of my faith, I felt called to study in a good Christian university near me. That brings me to my Monday Check-In: I'm doing well so far today, although the college radio stream into things like our Chapel services, is broken until further notice. Therefore, I'm doing my own thing with a sister-in-Christ each day, then referring to Podcasts of Chapel whenever possible. For example, we studied today about "the good parts" of Revelation, where the apostle John talks about what God and Heaven are like. It gave my friend and I serious Spirit-chills!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday check in ... I forgot to weight myself this morning, actually forgot it was Monday. Did step on the scale just now, fully dressed and the scale told me I have not lost any weight this weeek either. :'(

@kah68 and @cblue315 ...thanks for the words about feeling blue ... it was just normal saddness that I was feeling. I'm not as tender emotionally now as I was a few days ago.

@skinnyjeanzbound ...that's a good suggestion about talking to the younger set about hosting holiday get togethers.

@Lauriek70 ... nice shots of your family. I've seen messages on social media about enjoying your loved ones while you still can and it is so very true. Life, like time, moves on.

AFM ... nothing much to report since Saturday as there really isn't anything going on at all. I just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone. Also welcome to @zcb94 and @FaithIt365.

@Melwillbehealthy and @grandmakaye44 ... all of us seem to have a struggle with making the inroads into weight loss that we want to be making. Sometimes I tell myself that I should not expect different results if I keep doing the same thing ... but I actually know that sometimes it's not that you aren't eating 'correctly' or exercising enough ... there are times when medications we take or diseases that inhabit us tip the scale in favor of adding excess weight.

Looking forward to feeling energized by my committment to better health.
    Follow-through
    Niki
  • zcb94
    Options
    Further check-in: I made a mistake. I said in my introduction that my name has Latin origins. I meant Greek. "Zoe" is Biblical Greek for the idea of God-given abundant life. Sorry for misleading anyone! :embarrased:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @zoe-- okay, but you only get one mistake. :wink: LOL

@kaye-- I'm glad you had a nice holiday with your family. I miss those huge gatherings at my grandmother's house.

@lori-- thanks for the robin update.

@niki-- I'm glad you're feeling better. :smile:

Monday Check-in:
    Didn't get as much grading done as I had hoped today; however, I did get to the gym. It seems those two aspects of my life are in a constant battle. Being good about one tends to always be to the detriment of the other. I should be better at balancing the two; I'm a Libra, after all.

While at the gym, I finally added back some strength training, and boy my shoulder is feeling it. I found I can, once again, do deadlifts, but with pretty light weights (65 lbs vs. my pre-shoulder injury max of 110 lbs). I also found I'm still unable to do squats; I just can't get my right arm into the correct position to hold the bar, even with no weight added. Sad about that; it's my favorite lift. After the weights and some core, I ran for 20 minutes, so almost 2 miles.

Tomorrow I will grade after school.

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/10 Grendel analysis activities
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. 2/4 student rec letters

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- gym DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Zoe~ My cat’s name is Zoe. She is a 3yo Maine Coon and is definitely full of life! :wink: Welcome to the group.

@Kaye~ I, like Karen, sure do miss the big family get-togethers we had at my grandmother’s house every Thanksgiving.

@Laurie~ Happy Anniversary to your parents, thanks for sharing the pics. What a special honor for your dad.

@Karen~ I’m so glad to hear you were able to resume some weight lifting, I know it’s disheartening to see how quickly we lose the strength we worked so hard to build up but I know you’ll be back to those 110# DL in no time. I cannot begin to even think about the reality check I'll have when I'm allowed to workout again. :astonished:

@Niki~ Glad you are feeling better.

AFM~I think I ate yogurt too late last night, woke up with a stomachache about 2am--happens every time I have yogurt at night. :confounded: I do have a bit of happy news I forgot to share. My cousin and his wife had their sweet baby girl on the Friday after Thanksgiving. She was a month-early weighing in at 6lb 6oz, she is adorable—I just need to talk them out of placing those larger than life bows on her little head. Why do people do that?! :confounded: If she’s dressed in pink or purple, everyone will know she’s a girl! :lol: I haven’t seen her yet, but hope to around Christmas. So, now they have a house-full of 8 kids--I would need Valium. :wink:

Not much else happening with me. Hard to believe but surgery was 6-1/2 weeks ago, if all goes well I’ll transition from cast to boot on Thursday.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Tuesday Goal: STRETCH! I am so stiff/achy/blue no thanks to total bedrest. I could use the increased mobility and blood flow, not to mention extra endorphins/energy.