Sharing my motivation/views

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If your not mentally strong enough be strict with a diet then fair enough a cookie is ok here and there...
    I've lost 75 lbs in 10 months and haven't cut out a single food I love. Not one. Do I eat less of them? You betcha!

But I'm more concerned with learning how to enjoy food for a lifetime without regaining weight. So punishing myself into losing weight seems not only near-sighted but it's also completely unnecessary.

Each person finds their own way, but making mine seem somehow weak in comparison is ridiculous. As I mentioned, I've lost 75 lbs and have only 15 to go. Your profile shows you've lost 0 out of your desired 46, so I'm not sure you should be admonishing people just yet. :)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's not just calories it's about the fat and saturated fat, so would it be ok if I ate 1,200 calories worth of cheese? No it's absolutely not. You would all get good results so much quicker if you cut out the *kitten*.

No one said eat 1200 calories worth of cheese? Good luck with your diet and restrictions. I'm gonna get a few wedges of cheese and stay in my deficit, meet my macros and micros and enjoy my dinner.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If your not mentally strong enough be strict with a diet then fair enough a cookie is ok here and there...
    I've lost 75 lbs in 10 months and haven't cut out a single food I love. Not one. Do I eat less of them? You betcha!

But I'm more concerned with learning how to enjoy food for a lifetime without regaining weight. So punishing myself into losing weight seems not only near-sighted but it's also completely unnecessary.

Each person finds their own way, but making mine seem somehow weak in comparison is ridiculous. As I mentioned, I've lost 75 lbs and have only 15 to go. Your profile shows you've lost 0 out of your desired 46, so I'm not sure you should be admonishing people just yet. :)

This is extremely important

This is what finally stopped 30 years of yo-yoing for me

55lbs, maintaining for only 10 months ...but that's 20lbs more and 10 months longer than I've ever managed on any "diet" I've ever tried

To be honest once I caught on to this, it felt relatively effortless for most of the time, there were exceptions of course...but it becomes just life

Make it be "just life"
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Because I don't weigh myself every single day I'd actually rather spend more time in the gym and be surprised after two weeks. I don't think I'm punishing myself if I'm happy and feeling much better in myself. You know I'm new to this and I just thought I'd put my OPINION out there like everyone else has and I'm getting flack for it.

At which point did I say I was right? It clearly says 'MY MOTIVATION/VIEWS
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh that took a rough turn.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    People are just trying to help. It just sounded like you needed help when you think you can't even have a cookie. Best wishes.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    We're sharing years of experience and our views. I already said that's great if it is working for you.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    If you are to look at food as fuel...

Cookies are food...

Cookies are fuel...

Eat cookies.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    We have opinions too, just like you.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    okay
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Because I don't weigh myself every single day like a sad loser I'd actually rather spend more time in the gym and be surprised after two weeks. I don't think I'm punishing myself if I'm happy and feeling much better in myself. You know I'm new to this and I just thought I'd put my OPINION out there like everyone else has and I'm getting flack for it.

At which point did I say I was right? It clearly says 'MY MOTIVATION/VIEWS

Look

Welcome to MFP...I wish you every success

But a couple of words to the wise

Calling out other people's paths as for losers is ridiculous and fairly rude...there are many valid reasons as to how often and when people weigh...some like to understand scale weight fluctuations ...nobody has a weight but a weight range and it can be fascinating to watch that 5lb swing and know it's just water

Lots of us are fit, lots of us are striving to be fitter...everyone is

Your opinion is just that ..an opinion..it's not advice so don't term it as such unless you can back it up with science because you will get short shrift from those who actually know more

Maybe you could kick it back a notch, settle down and learn stuff ...

Good luck
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh dear..................See, the thing about opinions is, everyone has one. So while you're free to post yours in an open public forum, people with opposing/different views are also free to express them and challenge you. It's not an attack, it's a difference of opinion.

MY opinion is that I don't eat "diet food". I eat food I enjoy, that keeps me satisfied, that meets my dietary requirements without being too obsessive and allows for daily treats and yummy things. That's what makes this easy for me to sustain, I've been at it since February, seriously since April.

I work out 3-6 times per week and my performance is no poorer for fitting a couple of cookies into my day! Now shark week, that's a whole 'nother thing, don't make me run for three days every month because I'll be a wobbly crying wreck!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Meh. I weigh daily, eat chocolate and cheese daily, and will do extra activity to earn more calories for food I like eating if I feel like I want to eat more. Down over 120 lbs. And I doubt I would have made it even half as far if sweets and cheese weren't allowable.

You've got some seriously successful people responding to you, letting you in on the big secret that success doesn't have to come at such a high pricetag.

You don't have to eat cookies or cheese, but you also don't have to NOT eat them to get where you want to go. You don't have to suffer needlessly and that's not good for adherence anyway.

For weighing daily, I do it because it helps me with being emotionally detached, it takes the drama and anticipation and all the useless feels out of the act of weighing myself. It's just data, and weighing daily keeps it fairly uneventful. I also feel more accountable in my intake during the day knowing I will step on the scale the next morning, as opposed to a week or more before having to step on to face the music.
  • schwich13
    schwich13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Meh. I weigh daily, eat chocolate and cheese daily, and will do extra activity to earn more calories for food I like eating if I feel like I want to eat more. Down over 120 lbs. And I doubt I would have made it even half as far if sweets and cheese weren't allowable.

You've got some seriously successful people responding to you, letting you in on the big secret that success doesn't have to come at such a high pricetag.

You don't have to eat cookies or cheese, but you also don't have to NOT eat them to get where you want to go. You don't have to suffer needlessly and that's not good for adherence anyway.

For weighing daily, I do it because it helps me with being emotionally detached, it takes the drama and anticipation and all the useless feels out of the act of weighing myself. It's just data, and weighing daily keeps it fairly uneventful. I also feel more accountable in my intake during the day knowing I will step on the scale the next morning, as opposed to a week or more before having to step on to face the music.

Excellent words. I know that I need to try to remember not to take things personally when I post, too (although it can be frustrating because not everyone says what they think as gently or as eloquently as you do).
    Also, I like your points about weighing daily. I do a good job of using the information as motivation and to remind me to slow up on the salt, for example, but I need to look at it more like data on the days when it makes me sad. Thanks for that!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bleeughh you don't have to eat low fat DIET food..Most everything i eat and drink is full fat. I average over 100+ grams of fat everyday. Eating fat does NOT make you fat.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    The OP sounds hangry
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Great to pop into a thread to see what's working for others just to discover that OP thinks I'm a weak loser.

Awesome motivation.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Another sad loser here. I have the sad sadz now.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Another weak loser here. I have the sadz now.

j94mxejqvjru.jpg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Oh to be 21 again and so I could know everything.