December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k last week. I plan on trying for 20 miles for December. I got in 1.5 miles during my week 2 day 1 today. I'm super slow when I run lol but I figure that will give me on average, 5 miles a week. But I am excited for this chapter of my journey!
    agzram wrote: »
    I would like to join for December now that I am more into my C25K...I'm going to be at the low end of the mileage at 25 miles but that is my goal!

Thanks for letting this newbie join!

@candacefausset @agzram I was new in November and found this really helpful. I am very slow with a bit of walking in between but going for distance over speed has transformed my workout. I used to quit when I was out of breathe and legs were tired and now I just slow down and keep plodding. Kcal burned has increased as a result.
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k last week. I plan on trying for 20 miles for December. I got in 1.5 miles during my week 2 day 1 today. I'm super slow when I run lol but I figure that will give me on average, 5 miles a week. But I am excited for this chapter of my journey!
    I would like to join for December now that I am more into my C25K...I'm going to be at the low end of the mileage at 25 miles but that is my goal!

@candacefausset @agzram I was new in November and found this really helpful. I am very slow with a bit of walking in between but going for distance over speed has transformed my workout. I used to quit when I was out of breathe and legs were tired and now I just slow down and keep plodding. Kcal burned has increased as a result.

I'm a big old slow poke as it is! This is my second time doing the C25K due to a baby break. I'm back now and my running partner tells me she thinks I'm faster than the last time we ran together pre-baby so that's something. Looking forward to the advice and the inspiration!

AGR
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I'm definitely not worried about my speed. I haven't run since I was maybe ten years old lol. Once I get my endurance up a bit, I will go back and work on increasing distance and speed. But my stamina isn't much right now.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am in for 50 miles in December.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Since I've missed goals two months in a row, dropping goal to 50 for December.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    mbehr1983 wrote: »
    In miles unknown maybe 30-50. I am starting marathon training on Dec 14 for the first Chattanooga Marathon on March 6th

Welcome! Will this be your first marathon? I'm only toying with the marathon idea... If I'm lucky maybe the end of this year or next spring.

I am doing my first marathon in January and scared stiff! But at some stage after doing a few HM's it just seems like the logical next step! It may be something I do ONLY.ONCE!! The 18 mile long run yesterday was fairly unpleasant!

race.png

edc487f399882c673927258dc666e5da.jpg

Oh Stan, that's just hilarious!
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2015
    Options
    mbehr1983 wrote: »
    In miles unknown maybe 30-50. I am starting marathon training on Dec 14 for the first Chattanooga Marathon on March 6th

Welcome! Will this be your first marathon? I'm only toying with the marathon idea... If I'm lucky maybe the end of this year or next spring.

I am doing my first marathon in January and scared stiff! But at some stage after doing a few HM's it just seems like the logical next step! It may be something I do ONLY.ONCE!! The 18 mile long run yesterday was fairly unpleasant!

Oh good luck! I'd be scared too :) Maybe this month will offer some improvement and it will be a enjoyable.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @juliet3455 haha! Love the mantra!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I was new in November and found this really helpful. I am very slow with a bit of walking in between but going for distance over speed has transformed my workout. I used to quit when I was out of breathe and legs were tired and now I just slow down and keep plodding. Kcal burned has increased as a result.

Ultimately walk breaks/slower pace is concept that C25K uses to introduce newbies to running.
    Almost all of the members in my Local Running Club will drop into a walk once in a while.
    It could be caused by challenging terrain ( Hills, Muddy Trails), Weather, Not Feeling It or a Big Distance Day where we are running 20-30km. We all drop into a walk at some time. Last Saturday we did a 14km route that I have probably ran 5 times since April. A little snow on it this time making it a little heavier/slower and a Hill that was super ugly and I was done. Dropped into a walk 3 times in the last 6km (after the Hill). I still finished my 14km - 20 minutes slower than my best time - but I finished it.

@moyer566 I agree with you about liking it Cold, and Heat exhaustion with what sparkpeople propose. I think it would be for people who are used to nothing but warm weather. I use it as a general guide for layering.
    What they show as -1C > 4C is what I wear at -10C > -20C. One of the ladies in our club has a Clothing/Temperature Log Book where she can look up the temperature and see a list of her "Preferred Clothing based on Her history".
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    80 miles and hopefully I will meet the challenge this month after falling short in November!

Maybe I will commit to @virkati 's idea to make up the November different of about 11 miles. I will try to do that. and make it 91 miles.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    New to running and this group - setting my December goal for 25 miles :)

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm in for 100 miles. I am 90 miles short of my 1500 for the year so if I do 100 I will have a bonus 10 :smiley:
    It is going to be a challenge (duh :) ) as we will be in Costa Rica for 10 days and I have no idea where I will be able to run but I will run. I also have another HM the weekend after Christmas so that is motivation too!
    @juliet3455 - love meme #45, Definitely so true!
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Hi, I'm back running. Need a bit of advice please. .

Fairly new to running, it takes me 55 minutes to run 7.5 km. I've not got as much time now so do you think that running 4.5km in 25 minutes twice a week is good enough to keep me fit? I really enjoy it I'm just not sure it's enough. ..any advice as to if you think splitting my run in two or doing the 7.5km for an hour. ..thanks guys whever you are in the world. :smiley:

Yes. A little bit of running is better than none! I think 2 days a week is fine.

And who wants to miss out on this great group?!
    @dawniemate - welcome back! I agree with Elise - I would do whatever I could get and squeeze in a bit more whenever the opportunity came about! I would split it up however it works for you to get it in. If it is easier to get in shorter runs then split it up and maybe once in a while do it as one longer run to work on endurance.

• rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try for 45 again.

Today, my husband and I scoured the Amazon site for some good cyber Monday deals. I've been looking for wide width shoes and I scored 2 pairs of the Asics Kayano 21 for $75 each! Normally, they're about $160. The downside is that they're only available in black. :D
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I was new in November and found this really helpful. I am very slow with a bit of walking in between but going for distance over speed has transformed my workout. I used to quit when I was out of breathe and legs were tired and now I just slow down and keep plodding. Kcal burned has increased as a result.

Ultimately walk breaks/slower pace is concept that C25K uses to introduce newbies to running.
    Almost all of the members in my Local Running Club will drop into a walk once in a while.
    It could be caused by challenging terrain ( Hills, Muddy Trails), Weather, Not Feeling It or a Big Distance Day where we are running 20-30km. We all drop into a walk at some time. Last Saturday we did a 14km route that I have probably ran 5 times since April. A little snow on it this time making it a little heavier/slower and a Hill that was super ugly and I was done. Dropped into a walk 3 times in the last 6km (after the Hill). I still finished my 14km - 20 minutes slower than my best time - but I finished it.

@moyer566 I agree with you about liking it Cold, and Heat exhaustion with what sparkpeople propose. I think it would be for people who are used to nothing but warm weather. I use it as a general guide for layering.
    What they show as -1C > 4C is what I wear at -10C > -20C. One of the ladies in our club has a Clothing/Temperature Log Book where she can look up the temperature and see a list of her "Preferred Clothing based on Her history".

That is a great idea
  • goodrich21
    goodrich21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to beat 50, but would like more. I'm currently in week 3 of a 26 week marathon training plan.
  • Leroyoliver
    Leroyoliver Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm in for 35 miles... Ran a 5k in oct loved it and then stopped running!! What the?! Anyway signe up for an other on jan 1....
  • GraceManko
    GraceManko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Total beginner here in for 30 miles for December.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    In for 55 miles
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm in for another 100. I thought about making it 80, since the holidays are going to cramp my style, but I also need to be working on increasing my weekly miles and should be aiming for more like 120--so I just split the difference and kept it the same, lol!

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Goal – 100km
    01/12 – 5.75 – 5.75

Hoping for a run tomorrow... Cross fingers!!