• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Cholesterol levels are not thought to be a risk factor for women, except that women who have low cholesterol are at greater risk of CAD, especially as they age.

Plus, saturated fat generally does not raise cholesterol, or if it does it is generally the more beneficial fluffier LDL or HDL. Lp a and triglycerides usually go down in a diet higher in saturated fats, especially if it is lower carb.
    This claim sounds like someone misinterpreting the HRT studies on menopausal women.
    What is true is that lowering cholesterol in post menopausal women doesn't appear to lead to better health outcomes for cardiovascular disease - the general interpretation being that intervention is too little, too late at that point. It did not change that lifetime cholesterol figures are predictors of cardiovascular events.

Lowering cholesterol tends to lead to a worse health outcomes in women, postmenopausal or not. The thought that it was the hormones that protect women from heart disease has also lost credibility in recent years. It can't be proven.

Cholesterol has very little to do with your risk of heart disease unless you are a man, under age 50, with high cholesterol levels, as I understand it.

You might want to stop perpetuating that myth. It's dangerous. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in women (in the US). http://www.cdc.gov/women/lcod/2013/index.htm

-and on the subject of 'Women and Cholesterol' http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/UnderstandYourRiskforHighCholesterol/Women-and-Cholesterol_UCM_305565_Article.jsp
    they clearly say in a bold red box, just in case you miss it, that 'It's not just a man's problem'.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/What-Your-Cholesterol-Levels-Mean_UCM_305562_Article.jsp
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/WhyCholesterolMatters/Why-Cholesterol-Matters_UCM_001212_Article.jsp
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/UnderstandYourRiskforHighCholesterol/Understand-Your-Risk-for-High-Cholesterol_UCM_001213_Article.jsp
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Prevention-and-Treatment-of-High-Cholesterol_UCM_001215_Article.jsp

In these links The American Heart Association says the exact opposite of what you're saying.
    --High cholesterol is one of the major controllable risk factors for coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke. As your blood cholesterol rises, so does your risk of coronary heart disease.

--When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain (View an animation of cholesterol). Together with other substances, cholesterol can form a thick, hard deposit called plaque that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, a heart attack or stroke can result.

--Keeping your cholesterol levels healthy is a great way to keep your heart healthy – and lower your chances of getting heart disease or having a stroke.

--A low LDL cholesterol level is considered good for your heart health.
    --A diet high in saturated and trans fats raises LDL cholesterol.

--The American Heart Association recommends LDL (bad) cholesterol-lowering drug therapy for most women with heart disease. Drug therapy should be combined with a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, and added sugars and rich in fruits, vegetables, fiber-rich whole-grain foods, and fat-free and low-fat dairy.

Yes, heart disease is a problem, but high cholesterol doesn't cause it. There is no proof it does because it does not exist. At worst, it is a co-occurring situation.

Low cholesterol is linked to poor health, especially in women. Google it if you doubt it.

Hahaha @nvmomketo VS American Heart Association. I wonder...who's peddling woo.

Yes well, if they provide proof I'll jump back on board.

At this point, I do no see cholesterol as a cause of CAD.
  • beahz1
    beahz1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey guy's been quiet in here everyone done with the low carb conversation. Well for the short time I have been trying to do it, it has been pretty tuff. Although it has seemed to work if I work it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    beahz1 wrote: »
    Hey guy's been quiet in here everyone done with the low carb conversation. Well for the short time I have been trying to do it, it has been pretty tuff. Although it has seemed to work if I work it.

Stop back in a month or two and let us know how successful it was for you.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    neohdiver wrote: »
    That's part of the point. Insulin is connected to carbs - not fats or proteins.

Not true. Protein actually causes a significant insulin response as well - insulin also is the hormone that tells muscle to store protein.

This is true. Protein has about 1/2 the response that carbs do. So people that have insulin resistance can get positive results by reducing protein and upping fat to over 75% of calories.

They CAN, but it's not required. Several people have already posted in this thread that they have insulin resistance and are fine with great numbers on moderate carbs.

Carbs should be treated as a sliding scale since there is no required minimum; people need to find a level that works for them.

The best way to treat diabetes/insulin resistance is REGULAR EXERCISE. helps the insulin do it's job by making it get the glucose into the cells.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    gmallan wrote: »
    lodro wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Here's my thought with low carb.....I have a good amount of stored carbs and fat on my body. 262 pounds of which maybe 60-70 pounds are fat and stored carbs. Why is my body storing it? because I eat more than I need to use for energy and living. So it's a reserve, well stop filling the reserve and start using it for energy and to live.....burn it. How you ask STOP eating carbs and force your body to burn the stored supply. Once the save supply is used a accurate calculation must be re established to figure out what you burn a day what you consume a day and formulate a balanced regimen that promotes maintenance. It's a long road that requires discipline mathematics and commitment. I am at the beginning of this journey and will post my progress. Aloha

That's not how it works. If you are in a surplus and eat no carbs you'll still store fat. If you are in a deficit and eat only carbs you'll burn fat. Weight loss is simply about calorie balance. The right balance of carbs, fat and protein can help with body composition as you lose and can help keep you in a deficit, but cutting carbs out is not the secret to losing weight.

Interesting how the CICO folks always leave out one factor: hunger. Try dealing with that on your calorie restricted, high carb, low fat diet. Good luck.

Well not being low carb doesn't automatically mean that a person eats high carb. I really like my moderate carb, moderate fat, moderate (although probably high compared to the general population) protein diet and find that it keeps me very satiated. Vegetables contain a lot of carbs and are also very filling IMHO. White potatos have been shown to be the most satiating food and are very high in carbs. If I drop carbs too low, it has the opposite effect for me; I feel hungry all the time, my energy levels go south and my workouts tank.

I don't think amny people here are saying you should never go low carb. For some people it might work very well and may also be medically necessary. Just pointing out that it's not the only way and whatever you choose a calorie deficit is still required.

I think many of the low carb zealots are so used to living in the extremes that they don't realize that balance and moderation even exist...if you're not low carb you must be eating all the carbs...and they're probably mostly cake and soda.

the notion of a well balanced diet seems to be foreign to many these days.

Diet extremism is a pet hate of mine. We now know that low fat isn't good for you, it doesn't necessarily mean that high fat is the way to go either. It annoys me how people forget that there's a middle ground

Thank you. This is so true. Ruling out or severely limiting a macronutrient is not sustainable forever..I feel like focusing on calories is the best way to adopt lifelong food relationships /habits to sustain a healthy weight.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options

The best way to treat diabetes/insulin resistance is REGULAR EXERCISE. helps the insulin do it's job by making it get the glucose into the cells.

"A good way to help diabetes/insulin resistance is REGULAR EXERCISE."
    I question if it is the best way, at least the best way for all people. It can be important for many, and definitely recommended. But weight loss is a bigger help, and I lost the bulk of my weight by diet change (carb reduction) without exercise.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

"A good way to help diabetes/insulin resistance is REGULAR EXERCISE."
    I question if it is the best way, at least the best way for all people. It can be important for many, and definitely recommended. But weight loss is a bigger help, and I lost the bulk of my weight by diet change (carb reduction) without exercise.

No doubt the word best may or may not be the ideal word to use.

You may want to google search metabolic syndrome and exercise or insulin resistance and exercise. It seems exercise without weight loss improves all markers of metabolic syndrome even if weight loss does not occur. The standard four(meaning many definitions have these four as common descriptors) heart disease, high blood pressure, IR(insulin resistance), and *obesity*. I realize the words' some, all, many' are going to be used to after this post since it is the belief of 'some' that 'many' may or may not benefit from the word 'all'.

People who lose weight quickly say 35 pounds in 3 months and have a belief their symptoms of IR have gone away probably also believe no need for retaining LBM with weight loss. There seems to be a contention for a select few that exercise isn't important but the 'weight loss' is what matters. IDK but it seems muscle retention along with weight loss provides a higher likelihood of improved insulin resistance as well as the other 3 above then just dropping weight.

edit *obesity*
  • Oflamez
    Oflamez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    less calories more exercise healthier food choices enough protein more water
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

If it's something you're struggling with, low carb may not work for you. You need to find a way of eating that you can stick with long term. I lose so much better when I don't have a lot of restrictions and I don't have to feel like I'm "on the wagon". Then there's no falling off the wagon. And it's been fabulous!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    neohdiver wrote: »
    That's part of the point. Insulin is connected to carbs - not fats or proteins.

Not true. Protein actually causes a significant insulin response as well - insulin also is the hormone that tells muscle to store protein.

This is true. Protein has about 1/2 the response that carbs do. So people that have insulin resistance can get positive results by reducing protein and upping fat to over 75% of calories.

They CAN, but it's not required. Several people have already posted in this thread that they have insulin resistance and are fine with great numbers on moderate carbs.

Carbs should be treated as a sliding scale since there is no required minimum; people need to find a level that works for them.

+1
    Regular exercise sends signals to our hormones as to what to do with the nutrients in the calories we take in...

• beahz1
    Options
    I am one who recently thought if I just loose weight and cut carbs I will be better of since I am diabetic. But I been just dieting LC and my body feels weaker. So stupid and lazy to just diet. Back to the gym I go.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am one who recently thought if I just loose weight and cut carbs I will be better of since I am diabetic. But I been just dieting LC and my body feels weaker. So stupid and lazy to just diet. Back to the gym I go.

it's not uncommon to feel weaker, especially in the beginning as your glycogen is being depleted and you start to run off of fat. But if it persist, I would go to a moderate carb approach, but focus on getting your carbs through the day and eating a lot of carbs with fiber.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol levels are not thought to be a risk factor for women, except that women who have low cholesterol are at greater risk of CAD, especially as they age.

Plus, saturated fat generally does not raise cholesterol, or if it does it is generally the more beneficial fluffier LDL or HDL. Lp a and triglycerides usually go down in a diet higher in saturated fats, especially if it is lower carb.
    This claim sounds like someone misinterpreting the HRT studies on menopausal women.
    What is true is that lowering cholesterol in post menopausal women doesn't appear to lead to better health outcomes for cardiovascular disease - the general interpretation being that intervention is too little, too late at that point. It did not change that lifetime cholesterol figures are predictors of cardiovascular events.

Lowering cholesterol tends to lead to a worse health outcomes in women, postmenopausal or not. The thought that it was the hormones that protect women from heart disease has also lost credibility in recent years. It can't be proven.

Cholesterol has very little to do with your risk of heart disease unless you are a man, under age 50, with high cholesterol levels, as I understand it.

You might want to stop perpetuating that myth. It's dangerous. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in women (in the US). http://www.cdc.gov/women/lcod/2013/index.htm

-and on the subject of 'Women and Cholesterol' http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/UnderstandYourRiskforHighCholesterol/Women-and-Cholesterol_UCM_305565_Article.jsp
    they clearly say in a bold red box, just in case you miss it, that 'It's not just a man's problem'.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/What-Your-Cholesterol-Levels-Mean_UCM_305562_Article.jsp
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/WhyCholesterolMatters/Why-Cholesterol-Matters_UCM_001212_Article.jsp
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/UnderstandYourRiskforHighCholesterol/Understand-Your-Risk-for-High-Cholesterol_UCM_001213_Article.jsp
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Prevention-and-Treatment-of-High-Cholesterol_UCM_001215_Article.jsp

In these links The American Heart Association says the exact opposite of what you're saying.
    --High cholesterol is one of the major controllable risk factors for coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke. As your blood cholesterol rises, so does your risk of coronary heart disease.

--When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain (View an animation of cholesterol). Together with other substances, cholesterol can form a thick, hard deposit called plaque that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, a heart attack or stroke can result.

--Keeping your cholesterol levels healthy is a great way to keep your heart healthy – and lower your chances of getting heart disease or having a stroke.

--A low LDL cholesterol level is considered good for your heart health.
    --A diet high in saturated and trans fats raises LDL cholesterol.

--The American Heart Association recommends LDL (bad) cholesterol-lowering drug therapy for most women with heart disease. Drug therapy should be combined with a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, and added sugars and rich in fruits, vegetables, fiber-rich whole-grain foods, and fat-free and low-fat dairy.

Yes, heart disease is a problem, but high cholesterol doesn't cause it. There is no proof it does because it does not exist. At worst, it is a co-occurring situation.

Low cholesterol is linked to poor health, especially in women. Google it if you doubt it.
    mccindy72 wrote: »

so you missed my post with research linked to prove that this is wrong.

No, I didn't. There was no proof. They did not even say cholesterol causes heart disease.

I have gone off course here. Apologies.

A meta-analysis, from 2012(how much more recent are your studies?):
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)60367-5/fulltext
    Reduction of LDL cholesterol with a statin reduced the risk of major vascular events (RR 0·79, 95% CI 0·77–0·81, per 1·0 mmol/L reduction), largely irrespective of age, sex, baseline LDL cholesterol or previous vascular disease, and of vascular and all-cause mortality.
  • beahz1
    Options
    Wassup ppl stll doing LC with CICO and having a not bad ride. I will say the beer has got to go but it's so hard.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • beahz1
    Options
    Hi MsJulesRenee
    Whats up you like the low carb life
  • beahz1
    Options
    Whats good yall paleo low carb animals Lol

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ I no comprehendo ^^^^
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ I no comprehendo ^^^^

Yeah, I can put commas and other punctuation in several places in that sentence and have somewhat different meanings.
    Like does he mean it's good to be an animal that is low carb and paleo, or to eat animals that are low carb and paleo, and does he mean that the animal is a paleo food, or that the animal has been fed a paleo diet? Does an animal on a paleo diet meaning eating paleo for that animal's paleo ancestors, or human ancestors, like having that double grass fed beef prion power by eating cows that have been fed grass-fed beef?
  • beahz1
    Options
    Hey Batman don't complicate things. Life is way to difficult already. I was just saying hello to ALL the people that use or do Paleo or low carb even Keto diets. Make sense Christine_72 no wait Aora comprende?