I do what with butter...?

Options
In order to bring up my calories and fat intake, I eat straight up butter and salt it. I get it's not the healthiest, but I'm under strict low carb diet.

Question: Does anyone else do this? Do you think I should stop, or do you have a better alternative?

Replies

• Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe eat it on toast or cook with it? You can try making a compound butter if you want.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3ksgopjMw1rvn6njo1_400.gif
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It sounds kind of . . . unenjoyable to me, but I've never tried it.

How low is your carbohydrate goal? It might be more fun to put that butter ON foods that fit within your plan than to just eat the butter.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    That just doesn't sound very appetizing. Why not just scramble some eggs in it or saute some veggies? My son sneaks bites of butter and it just grosses me out. He does the same thing with sour cream, too.
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My carb limit is 16-20. Most people can get by around 50, but I'm extremely sensitive to it.
    I don't eat toast, and my access to veggies is limited atm.
    It sounds gross, but it's not too bad. I just wish I didn't have to do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a chunk of cheese instead
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    @TavistockToad
    Um...I did. It still isn't enough to bring up my calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad

Two chunks? Three?
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    I'm 4 days back into low carb dieting and it seems that I'm already in a plateau!
    MFP says that I should be eating 1200-1500. Well everyday I'm only getting about 1050.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    My carb limit is 16-20. Most people can get by around 50, but I'm extremely sensitive to it.
    I don't eat toast, and my access to veggies is limited atm.
    It sounds gross, but it's not too bad. I just wish I didn't have to do it.

Is this a medical condition? Do you have access, through your doctor, to a dietician who can help you plan a diet that meets your needs? I doubt your doctor intends for you to meet your calorie needs with butter. Professional help with your meal plan may really benefit you.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

LOL. +1

• janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm 4 days back into low carb dieting and it seems that I'm already in a plateau!
    MFP says that I should be eating 1200-1500. Well everyday I'm only getting about 1050.

You can't be at a plateau after 4 days. A plateau is six weeks of the scale not moving while you're consistently following your plan.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @TavistockToad

Wasn't a big enough chunk then!
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    I'm also doing intermittent fasting. I have a 4 hour window period.
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll just have to stick to 1000 calories til I can figure out something else.

@janejellyroll
    I have hit plateaus before. It doesn't take 6 weeks for me, more like 2-3 weeks. It's why trying to get healthy, fit and eat well becomes increasingly irritating very quickly.

@TavistockToad
    So far it's not enough. I don't think I can stomach to eat anything else. I'm still 200-442 calroies under my goal.
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    Oh and one more question. When low carb dieting and intermittent fasting, are you supposed to get sick?
    Like more than once each time I start doing theses things I'll get sick at night and almost feel like I need to vomit while I'm trying to freaking sleep.
    Any solutions?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm also doing intermittent fasting. I have a 4 hour window period.
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll just have to stick to 1000 calories til I can figure out something else.

@janejellyroll
    I have hit plateaus before. It doesn't take 6 weeks for me, more like 2-3 weeks. It's why trying to get healthy, fit and eat well becomes increasingly irritating very quickly.

@TavistockToad
    So far it's not enough. I don't think I can stomach to eat anything else. I'm still 200-442 calroies under my goal.

By definition, those aren't plateaus. I understand it's frustrating not to see weight loss every week, but that's how weight loss is. Instead of dubbing it a plateau, you need to work on having realistic expectations.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Open your diary. I can eat a 1000 calorie meal after breakfast, lunch and snacks so either you're not measuring your food correctly or you're being far too restrictive to be able to hit your cals and macros.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Lmao - :D
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What do you mean with sensitive? Do you have a medical condition?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Oh and one more question. When low carb dieting and intermittent fasting, are you supposed to get sick?
    Like more than once each time I start doing theses things I'll get sick at night and almost feel like I need to vomit while I'm trying to freaking sleep.
    Any solutions?

What time is your eating window?