I do what with butter...?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you eat more protein than the body can metabolise, you expel it in the usual way. All foods are converted in to glucose for energy, other than fiber, which cannot be absorbed and is expelled in the usual way.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    @Mallybear2020 if you really believe you need to be low carb AND low protein, no wonder you're eating butter. Others have said, and I'll repeat: toss out everything you think you know about nutrition, and start from scratch. We're not all lying to you!
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3r2uhbefz305.png

So since MFP says this...why should I not expect to NOT gain/maintain weight?
    I went over my carb limit and fat.
    You're all saying I'll lose weight even if I go over?
    BTW: I'm not planning on eating over 1200 calories all the time.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    @64crayons
    Sometimes if you eat too much protein many calories it will get converted and make you gain weight.

Fixed! If you eat too much fat it will make you gain weight too. You CAN over eat that butter!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Mallybear2020 I implore you to check out group I linked to in my other post. If you want to learn about low carb and the right way to go about it, they will set you on the right path.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    3r2uhbefz305.png

See the 148 GREEN calories remaining? Why WOULDN'T you expect to lose?
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    @ASKyle
    Because I went over carbs and fat.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3r2uhbefz305.png

BTW: I'm not planning on eating over all the time.1200 calories.

Because, as has been mentioned, gain and loss of fat is entirely and solely dependent on calories in vs calories out. You have calories to spare, so if your logging is accurate, you should expect to lose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3r2uhbefz305.png

You can go over everything but calories and lose weight.

Technically, you can go over in your calories as well, if your weekly weight loss goal is set to more than maintenance calories.

So, if you've set your weekly weight loss goal to 2 pounds per week, and went over by 152 calories, you will still lose weight as that 2 pounds per week has a 1,000 calorie deficit per day built in, and while you did not hit that 1,000 deficit, you did make a 848 calorie deficit.

(ETA - the picture showed an overage of 152 calories earlier. Now it's a 148 calorie deficit.)
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    Then why be given a goal to stick to if it means you can still lose weight no matter how many carbs, fat and protein you take in, just as long as you stay within calories?
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Then why be given a goal to stick to if it means you can still lose weight no matter how many carbs, fat and protein you take in, just as long as you stay within calories?

Because many people care about more than just the weight. There are numerous health reasons to adopt certain macronutrient %'s, and these will vary person to person, depending on what their goals are, people training for things, or with other health concerns may want to watch their macros carefully.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You do realize you can change those goals right? Just like you can change your calorie goal. You have to find what works for you.

I would suggest giving some of these a read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

I look at protein (and fiber) as a minimum goal to strive for, not a maximum goal that I should not surpass. I'm always over on fat, which has not affected my weight loss. I try to not surpass carbs as I feel better when I don't, but that's a personal preference.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be in the green on all categories to lose weight. It's not like the body bundles the macros we feed it in to little blocks; a little for this, a little for that. As long as the overall calories are in target you will lose weight. .

Carbs are converted to glucose.

"Dietary proteins are first broken down to individual amino acids by various enzymes and hydrochloric acid present in the gastro-intestinal tract.[1] These amino acids are further broken down to α-keto acids which can be recycled in the body for generation of energy, and production of glucose or fat or other amino acids." - Wikipedia

Fatty acids by long and circuitous route, are also converted to glucose. Wikipedia

Spares (overall calorie count) are stored in the fat cells.
  • Run_Away_Turtle
    Run_Away_Turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This has been a super entertaining, not to mention educational read.
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    @christinev297
    I did. I have to be 'accepted' into the group.
  • Mallybear2020
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So you're saying for example:
    If my daily calorie goal is 1300, and I eat 60g of Carbs, 80g Fat and 50g protein, and my calories say '1100' I'll still lose weight even with such high carbs AND fat?
  • ultrahoon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If my daily calorie goal is 1300, and I eat 60g of Carbs, 80g Fat and 50g protein, and my calories say '1100' I'll still lose weight even with such high carbs?

Yes, sustained weight loss and gain is entirely dependent on calories in vs calories out.
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what everyone is saying. This is about calories in and calories out, it doesn't matter what the macro's are...
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    If my daily calorie goal is 1300, and I eat 60g of Carbs, 80g Fat and 50g protein, and my calories say '1100' I'll still lose weight even with such high carbs AND fat?

Yup. I'm at 143g carbs and 38 grams fat for the day and haven't had dinner yet, which is going to include puff pastry. I've lost ~65lbs in the last couple of years.