I do what with butter...?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I recognise you

You've dieted before, you've lost weight and put it all on again

You've bought into new methods of losing weight, in fact you hold so many in your head that it gets a little bit confusing ...but you know keto is the thing, you know IF is the thing, you know cutting back on carbs will do it

Only they all take so much focus, so much effort and you can't stick forever, so slowly inevitably you begin to think it's not worth it

I recognise you ...I was you ...I would almost bet a lot of us were you

You know what helped me? Throwing it all out...every single thing I thought I knew about losing weight: what foods were good, what I had to do

I just threw it away and concentrated on calories .no bad food, just ways to sort out my food so I could eat when I was hungry

If I was hungry and had no calories left I would work out how to do it better next day...how to eat more but lower calorie foods and slowly it worked...I started moving more because then I could eat more then

You could try it...if you're ready to...simplify it all

Weigh and log your food, any food

Eat to a calorie defecit across the week

It works

(55lbs down, in maintenance for most of this year)
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Where am I getting all this nonsense?
    Ok, page turner here, but from an ex of mine.
    He does intermittent fasting and was doing low carbs. He isn't doing as low of carbs anymore because he's bulking now. He's very healthy, very fit and looks amazing.
    I adopted this mindset, and have more than once questioned it. Ok? Truth's out. : )
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I recognise you

You've dieted before, you've lost weight and put it all on again

You've bought into new methods of losing weight, in fact you hold so many in your head that it gets a little bit confusing ...but you know keto is the thing, you know IF is the thing, you know cutting back on carbs will do it

Only they all take so much focus, so much effort and you can't stick forever, so slowly inevitably you begin to think it's not worth it

I recognise you ...I was you ...I would almost bet a lot of us were you

You know what helped me? Throwing it all out...every single thing I thought I knew about losing weight: what foods were good, what I had to do

I just threw it away and concentrated on calories .no bad food, just ways to sort out my food so I could eat when I was hungry

If I was hungry and had no calories left I would work out how to do it better next day...how to eat more but lower calorie foods and slowly it worked...I started moving more because then I could eat more then

You could try it...if you're ready to...simplify it all

Weigh and log your food, any food

Eat to a calorie defecit across the week

It works

(55lbs down, in maintenance for most of this year)

Well said, @rabbitjb, as usual.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    He does intermittent fasting and was doing low carbs. He isn't doing as low of carbs anymore because he's bulking now. He's very healthy, very fit and looks amazing.
    I adopted this mindset, and have more than once questioned it. Ok? Truth's out. : )

It doesn't sound like what worked for him works for you. And that's OK. Everyone is different. Find what works for you. (And listen to @rabbitjb. She knows what she's talking about.)
  • BethM1015
    BethM1015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I had a hard time getting enough calories on the paleo diet, I sometimes ate Kerry Gold salted butter by itself. I have also heard of people taking shots of olive oil to get enough calories. I didn't read all the posts. Anyone suggested peanut butter?
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    @rabbitjb
    I want to hug you and give you a crown for saying that to me.
    That's all I wanted to hear...just a suggestion.

I can't lose weight by eating past 20 carbs. This is just a body fact about myself. If I slowly lose, then so be it.
    But I have tried losing weight by eating what I wanted IN moderation and it never worked.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb

I can't lose weight by eating past 20 carbs. This is just a body fact about myself. If I slowly lose, then so be it.
    But I have tried losing weight by eating what I wanted IN moderation and it never worked.

How long did you give it? You've said upthread that you "plateaued" after four days. I don't want to second-guess you, but it sounds like you may be giving up really quickly when you don't see instant results.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @rabbitjb

Can I have a tiara?

:smile:

Have you tried with weighing and logging everything and using MFP?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how I've peeked in on Food several times this afternoon and am just now seeing this thread.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

"Mindset"? Your very fit and healthy ex eats straight sticks of butter, too? I call shenanigans.

It sounds like you have a very (VERY) loose understanding of what keto and Intermittent Fasting is and what it's supposed to do, thought it'd be a good idea to try it, but actually have no idea how to go about it.

If you are questioning it, why do you keep doing it? Trust your instincts, they are telling you something for a reason. If something sounds ridiculous, it probably is. And in this case, can confirm it definitely is.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Would / could you give it 8 weeks of your life?

Have you been diagnosed with any thyroid / hormonal condition that would indicate this way of eating
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you're just giving it a few days before declaring over 20g of carbs makes it impossible for you to lose weight, then here is what is most likely happening.

You're eating low carbs normally, so you aren't holding as much glycogen and water weight. Then you eat at higher carb, and your water weight increases, but that's not fat, and it won't keep going up. At this point though, you panic and think you're getting fatter, and drop your carbs, then of course what follows is that water weight starts to shed, and you think you're losing fat, but you aren't.

*IF* this is the case, you're just reinforcing the misguided belief by not giving the alternatives a fair shot.
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    The longest I gave it was a month, then I hit about 135 and I couldn't lose anymore. Then I had a cheat day and had to start things back up again. This has happened off and on for months now, and it seems like it's hard for me to lose any past 128lbs, but so far I have gotten past that and I'm at 125lbs.

@rabbitjb
    I weigh and log everything with MFP. I thought that was basically the point of being on the site lol.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    If you're just giving it a few days before declaring over 20g of carbs makes it impossible for you to lose weight, then here is what is most likely happening.

You're eating low carbs normally, so you aren't holding as much glycogen and water weight. Then you eat at higher carb, and your water weight increases, but that's not fat, and it won't keep going up. At this point though, you panic and think you're getting fatter, and drop your carbs, then of course what follows is that water weight starts to shed, and you think you're losing fat, but you aren't.

*IF* this is the case, you're just reinforcing the misguided belief by not giving the alternatives a fair shot.

tumblr_m43fmnEFfl1rqfhi2o1_400.gif
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat butter by the tablespoon to get fat intake up, just eat foods with higher fat content eg salmon with skin, avocado, add a good oil to a dressing for what the veggies/salad you do eat, nut butters...plenty of other foods if you take the time to research.
  • Mallybear2020
    edited December 2015
    Options
    All I know about keto, fasting, dieting comes from my ex. He taught me everything. I listened to him and he's the reason why 2 years ago I was at 150lbs and got down to 112.
    But because my family, YES, my own family made fun of me for being 'too thin', I ate myself BACK to around 145lbs and have only in the last 5-8months gotten back to doing what I WANTED. Despite them still being rude to me about my eating/weight. They never cared when I was fat but I lose a few pounds, and It's a never ending crowd of insults.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    The longest I gave it was a month, then I hit about 135 and I couldn't lose anymore. Then I had a cheat day and had to start things back up again. This has happened off and on for months now, and it seems like it's hard for me to lose any past 128lbs, but so far I have gotten past that and I'm at 125lbs.

@rabbitjb
    I weigh and log everything with MFP. I thought that was basically the point of being on the site lol.

A month is too soon to give up. When I was losing weight, I would sometimes go a month without losing and then I would start again. But (because I saw posts from successful people here talking about the same experience), I just stayed on plan. And I always started up again. That's why we say it isn't a plateau until six weeks have passed -- because it's really common for weight loss to start and stop.

You can totally do this. Lots of us have done it. You just need consistency and patience. I've seen some of your previous posts and it looks like you have a tendency to flip between plans and go off plan. I get it, I truly do. But each time you change a plan or go off plan, you muddy the waters and lose some of the ability to see what works and what doesn't.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    All I know about keto, fasting, dieting comes from my ex. He taught me everything. I listened to him and he's the reason why 2 years ago I was at 150lbs and got down to 112.
    But because my family, YES, my own family made fun of me for being 'too thin', I ate myself BACK to around 145lbs and have only in the last 5-8months gotten back to doing what I WANTED. Despite them still being rude to me about my eating/weight. They never cared when I was fat but I lose a few pounds, and It's a never ending crowd of insults.

I will echo the suggestion to forget everything you think you learned about weight loss, also, open your diary up so we can see it, we've pretty much exhausted everything else we can say that might help without seeing it.
  • Mallybear2020
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    Ok, I'll try to be more patient and get a handle on things.