December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Didn't hit my goal of 65 miles last month, so will try again this month :)

exercise.png
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Going to start at 35.
    I'm finishing up C25k, on Week 7. But I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving so I hope to keep going and increase my pace before my next 5k.
  • CLEgirl
    CLEgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in for just 70 miles in December. With travel, mostly treadmill running and other distractions, that will be a good goal for me. Only 66.5 miles left for the month!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people and so happy to see others come back!!!

I hate stupid days on the 1st of the month. I'm doing a 3K tonight with a friend's son so I didn't bother to get out of bed to run this morning. I might need to run the course a few times to make up for it!

Everyone is off to a great start!

dbi1xj4eo15l.jpg
  • ACSL3
    Options
    So after posting my goal I figured if I was going to go running today I had better get going. Got my new Garmin HRM all set up and went for my first run with it. I was hoping for 5 miles, but I still have this upper respiratory cold so I ended up doing 2.5 - I'm happy as any running is better than no running and this is the first time I've gone since getting the cold a few days ago.

For those of you who use Garmin Connect - I sync'd my watch and my run uploaded to the site. Everything looks good, but it says I burned 34 calories during my 2.5 mile run. I know lots of sites overestimates and most HRM tend to overestimate my calorie burn because I have a tachycardia (a high heart rate), but that seems low. I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Thoughts?

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @ACSL3 did you wet the contacts? If it isn't tight enough and not lubricated it can lead to misreadings.

right now my HRM is not connecting to my Vivosmart. not thrilled
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    So after posting my goal I figured if I was going to go running today I had better get going. Got my new Garmin HRM all set up and went for my first run with it. I was hoping for 5 miles, but I still have this upper respiratory cold so I ended up doing 2.5 - I'm happy as any running is better than no running and this is the first time I've gone since getting the cold a few days ago.

For those of you who use Garmin Connect - I sync'd my watch and my run uploaded to the site. Everything looks good, but it says I burned 34 calories during my 2.5 mile run. I know lots of sites overestimates and most HRM tend to overestimate my calorie burn because I have a tachycardia (a high heart rate), but that seems low. I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Thoughts?

exercise.png

can you post a picture of your heart trace? what was the average bpm?
  • lippiestickmama
    lippiestickmama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am aiming to run 50 km in December! It will be tough, but I can do it!
  • ACSL3
    edited December 2015
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »

exercise.png

Ok let's see if I can get this to work. @moyer566 - yes I wet the contacts and it seemed to be reading my HR just fine. @patrikc333 - If the picture doesn't work my avg HR was 166

zzgfhjdc0l1o.png

Here's a picture of my heart rate for the duration of the run

gtaw7bbwqslu.png

Hopefully those pictures aren't too big. I'm on my phone right now so I can't tell. Thank you for helping!! :)
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your warm welcome and answering of my question!

Getting on here did get me out the door to run today :)

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @ACSL3, make sure you have entered your correct weight in the app.

As a check, I weight 214lbs and 2.5 miles of running would burn about 400 calories for me. Calorie burn is generally directly related to weight (so if you weighed half as much, you'd burn half as much).

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

exercise.png

34 calories? You'd burn more than that if you crawled 2.5 miles. I'm 5'6" and 120 and I would burn around 210 calories in 2.5 miles, give or take depending on speed. I have a Garmin with a HRM but I have never used it so I can't help you on what the problem is.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    welcome @zmcgrandles good job on the c25k. did it only four months ago!
    @FitLife1515 congrats on the 5k and good luck on the 10k or 15k! very ambitious.
    @moyer566 excellent start of the month!
    @patrikc333 @kristinegift @moyer566 @morningghost44 @karllundy @Stoshew71 @ericsmi @GBrady43068 @Marissaxzxzxz @whatMeRunning @Elise4270 @5BeautifulDays @afrench050612 @mom3over40 awesome start of the month!
    @pandora_and_her_box welcome back!
    @kareF i love having new shoes to run in. enjoy!
    @kimlight2 congrats on the clearance and good luck on your 5k.
    @Remus42 good luck with the hip and welcome back!
    Welcome to you too @9voice9 good start!
    Welcome @rmcobb327
    @saraakhund welcome to running and to the group!

1/12 5.20 miles. i wasn't gong to run, but then decided to do it since it's the first day of the month and i'd like to get started with a good attitude :)

exercise.png

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

exercise.png

34 calories? You'd burn more than that if you crawled 2.5 miles. I'm 5'6" and 120 and I would burn around 210 calories in 2.5 miles, give or take depending on speed. I have a Garmin with a HRM but I have never used it so I can't help you on what the problem is.

Yes, that sounds WAY off. I'm guessing even stick-thin fashion models burn more than that on a 2.5 mile run. :p
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @ACSL3, make sure you have entered your correct weight in the app.

As a check, I weight 214lbs and 2.5 miles of running would burn about 400 calories for me. Calorie burn is generally directly related to weight (so if you weighed half as much, you'd burn half as much).

Make sure both your watch and the app has all your correct settings.

Age, gender, weight, height, ect. In my FR 220, it is under settings->user profile.

• SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    mbehr1983 wrote: »
    In miles unknown maybe 30-50. I am starting marathon training on Dec 14 for the first Chattanooga Marathon on March 6th

Welcome! Will this be your first marathon? I'm only toying with the marathon idea... If I'm lucky maybe the end of this year or next spring.

I am doing my first marathon in January and scared stiff! But at some stage after doing a few HM's it just seems like the logical next step! It may be something I do ONLY.ONCE!! The 18 mile long run yesterday was fairly unpleasant!

race.png

edc487f399882c673927258dc666e5da.jpg

HAHAHA I always thought I was a very special kind of idiot!
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm going to try for 80 this month. I am trying for an advent streak, but I have just got back from a week of no running, because of a bit of bruised heel, so I am taking it easy and will stop if it flares up. I have a half marathon on the 20th and I dont want to ruin my chances of running that because of a streak!

Easy 2 miles tonight to test the heel - went pretty well.

exercise.png[\img]
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    1-6.03 a bit harder than last few runs...

6.03/90. Maybe 90, stupid piriformis anatomy.

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    3/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    3/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    4/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Ok let's see if I can get this to work. @moyer566 - yes I wet the contacts and it seemed to be reading my HR just fine. @patrikc333 - If the picture doesn't work my avg HR was 166

zzgfhjdc0l1o.png

gtaw7bbwqslu.png

Hopefully those pictures aren't too big. I'm on my phone right now so I can't tell. Thank you for helping!! :)

I use a Garmin HRM and Garmin Connect and I find that sometimes my stats just don't make sense at all. The funny thing is that it is often when it reads a HR that seems way too high. The training effect of 1 also does not make sense for that HR. You will normally see a direct correlation between your average HR, recovery time (If your watch tells you that when you save your run), calories burn and Training effect. Sorry, I cant help as I have not solved it, but the problem is probably not with Garmin Connect, but actually with your watch / HRM. Does it help to know you are not the only one?!?! LOL
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

exercise.png

zzgfhjdc0l1o.png

gtaw7bbwqslu.png

I use a Garmin HRM and Garmin Connect and I find that sometimes my stats just don't make sense at all. The funny thing is that it is often when it reads a HR that seems way too high. The training effect of 1 also does not make sense for that HR. You will normally see a direct correlation between your average HR, recovery time (If your watch tells you that when you save your run), calories burn and Training effect. Sorry, I cant help as I have not solved it, but the problem is probably not with Garmin Connect, but actually with your watch / HRM. Does it help to know you are not the only one?!?! LOL

Ya that is strange. Did you verify your profile stats? Age, weight, height and all? If so I think this may be a question for Garmin. You could have a defective device. Also a hard reset may be in order. Mean while, you could just adjust the calorie burn to reflect a more realistic value.