arditarose wrote: »
    TayFit07 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Keep a straight back, and the top of your head pointing skyward, so straight neck and facing forward. Feet should be hip width apart and pointed forward parallel to each other. Hope that helps, also I generally put my hands into a fist formation in front of me to keep centre

Sorry but that is horrible advice.

Your head should be forward or slightly down and feet should be turned out about 45 degrees or slightly less...

I learnt from my coach, who also coaches in the olympics...

What/who does he coach for the olympics?

It's a woman and she coaches Skeleton mainly

Ah, so not olympic lifting.

No, but obviously she's coaching in the olympics for a reason... Plus, I have a girl coaching me who was in the crossfit games. Anyways, I don't care, I feel like you guys are over exaggerating, so that's how I was taught to do a deep squat, and that's all

But what she coaches in the olympics has nothing to do with squatting. And then there's cross fit. It's okay, that's how you squat. It's just generally not great advice.

A lot of cross fitters have horrible form...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Keep a straight back, and the top of your head pointing skyward, so straight neck and facing forward. Feet should be hip width apart and pointed forward parallel to each other. Hope that helps, also I generally put my hands into a fist formation in front of me to keep centre

Your head should be forward or slightly down and feet should be turned out about 45 degrees or slightly less...

No, but obviously she's coaching in the olympics for a reason... Plus, I have a girl coaching me who was in the crossfit games. Anyways, I don't care, I feel like you guys are over exaggerating, so that's how I was taught to do a deep squat, and that's all

But what she coaches in the olympics has nothing to do with squatting. And then there's cross fit. It's okay, that's how you squat. It's just generally not great advice.

I didn't say it lol

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I didn't say it lol

Just watch the cross fit games...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I didn't say it lol

Just watch the cross fit games...

I can't
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The best thing you can do is to stop trying to prevent your knees from going past your toes. Note that in the front squat, knees go past the toes all the time. Just from a joint stress standpoint it doesn't make sense that "knees past the toes" is bad in a back squat and totally fine in a front squat and yet it happens frequently in a front squat due to the requirement of maintaining an upright torso.

Additionally, if you WERE attempting to prevent the knees from going past the toes it would be easier to accomplish in a low bar back squat position because the low bar placement allows you to push your hips further back. But having said that I still wouldn't worry about it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

A lot of people in general have horrible form.

• SideSteel
    Options

Honestly I've only actually seen a few crossfitters but the ones that I have seen have decent form compared to people who haven't been trained at all. That's certainly not going to apply to everyone but it's my observation so far.
  • SideSteel
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Not to be "that guy" but here's a clip of a recent squat and you'll see the knees going past the toes. I do think it's important to attempt to prevent excessive knee buckling/caving/valgus (knees should ideally not buckle inwards).

If you think about squat mechanics and what has to happen at each joint while you watch this, you'll note:

If I were to keep my knees from going past my toes, by default my hips would have to be further back. Since the bar ideally needs to be over the midfoot, then this means I'd also have to lean forward more at the waist. For ME, this causes low back pain and an incredibly crappy squat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Honestly I've only actually seen a few crossfitters but the ones that I have seen have decent form compared to people who haven't been trained at all. That's certainly not going to apply to everyone but it's my observation so far.

I based that opinion by watching cross fit games...I guess I should have said some and not a lot
  • ndj1979
    Options

Touché
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Not to be "that guy" but here's a clip of a recent squat and you'll see the knees going past the toes. I do think it's important to attempt to prevent excessive knee buckling/caving/valgus (knees should ideally not buckle inwards).

If you think about squat mechanics and what has to happen at each joint while you watch this, you'll note:

If I were to keep my knees from going past my toes, by default my hips would have to be further back. Since the bar ideally needs to be over the midfoot, then this means I'd also have to lean forward more at the waist. For ME, this causes low back pain and an incredibly crappy squat.
    `

Just two reps? Looks like you had 3-4 easily.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    With many athletes, ankle mobility is an issue since it can effect the entire kinetic chain. I really like this guys video, see if it helps and good luck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYo1gLFv_c&index=11&list=FLeAdOJU2Wfk-_PLK_KFrKjA
  • SideSteel
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

`

I pegged that as an RPE 9-9.5 in my head. I think I had one grindy rep left in me but I don't think 2 more would have happened.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Practice against a wall. Wall squats. If you're a member of a gym, use the cables to help your form. You use them to lower yourself into the proper position and stay there for a few seconds. This is what I am doing because my squats need help too because of my knees. Just a suggestion.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

`

I pegged that as an RPE 9-9.5 in my head. I think I had one grindy rep left in me but I don't think 2 more would have happened.

All relative anyway. Everyone always tells me that my 9's are 8's etc... Nice gloots
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Anyway OP, knees tracking over toes is normal.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Nice article from Bret Contreras on bodyweight squats to help form.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-do-a-deep-bodyweight-squat-daily
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw

You can start out by doing goblet squats. That'll teach you how you your body moves in a squat. Once you have that down, move up to the barbell
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Ankle and hip mobility can really hurt your squat form. I'm not getting into the whole knees over toes thing. Say what you want, but if your knees are going way past your toes (with or without your heals coming up) you are asking for knee problems. Granted there may be some people who do to length of bones, etc. just can't do it, but I'm guessing most people whose knees go (well) past their toes have a form issue.

I would Google ankle and hip mobility and watch some You Tube videos on exercises and stretching you can do to help. Kelly Starrett has some great mobility videos.

Also, when squatting, what happens first? Do your knees go forward or does your butt go back? If you're not leading with your butt, that could be the problem. Think "sitting on the toilet".