White addiction

Options
blogasese
blogasese Posts: 22 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey, I am constantly loosing my fight against sugar. Choclote, dried fruits, sweets, cookies. Endless list that can't stop thinking about. How you fight sugar addiction? Is this anything to do with that that I don't eat much meat?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Isn't cocaine white? I'm confused...
  • blogasese
    blogasese Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

haha from now on its all about sugar :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Many foods I eat are white: cauliflower, turnips, daikon radishes, eggs (well, white and yellow), cottage cheese, yogurt. I love them all.

The only sugary food I eat that's white is vanilla ice cream, as I certainly don't care for sugar straight. Yuck. And white chocolate is only acceptable if the real stuff isn't around. ;-)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I eat most of the foods you listed, hasn't hindered my weight loss. Are you tracking your intake on MFP?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and why do you want to eliminate sugar? If your goal is to lose weight, then focus on calories first. Once you get that under control if you want to switch your diet to more nutritious things or more well balanced, then maybe focus on macros. Once you have a good macro balance, then maybe work on eliminating extra sugars.

Sugar isn't evil, its just an easy target to blame.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    blogasese wrote: »

haha from now on its all about sugar :)

You are seriously going to have a rough go with this thread - not only from the title but just the general topic, just warning you. Sugar isn't addictive. It is pleasurable, but it is not addictive. Some people have medical reasons to restrict sugar, and others have difficulty moderating sugar, and there are several approaches you can try if you feel you have an issue with this, but there is nothing inherently bad with sugar as a substance.

I don't believe that not eating meat makes you more susceptible to difficulty moderating your sugar intake, from a physiological perspective. I do think people find that protein and fat are satiating, and so if you are hungrier in general, you may try to think of what sounds good, and something sweet is a common choice, but not because of sugar being addictive. Just that sweet things, like cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc - these are comforting foods.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    More seriously, OP, I don't believe in sugar addiction, but I do have a number of thoughts about how to get more controlled in one's eating habits, especially with things like sweets (or other high cal, low nutrient snack-like foods).

An important part of it is to understand when you are struggling -- where are you eating the foods, under what circumstances? Typically it's related to habit, so you need to break the habit and perhaps not eat the foods under the triggering circumstances for a time, if there are triggering circumstances. I had a tendency of eating stuff I didn't particularly wish to eat (which is around my office at all times) when I was stressed or bored or wanted to avoid doing something I was supposed to do or tired or emotional, on and on. And since I was using it in these ways and had a habit of snacking during the day when I'd start eating it was tough to stop. I made it a lot easier on myself by deciding that I don't eat in a non-mindful way anymore, and I mostly don't eat outside of meal times. If I want something outside of a meal, I think through why I want it, what I'm going to be having really soon, the calories and what I will have to give up to fit it in my day, etc. On occasion, if I still want it (if it's really worth it, and not just something that's there), I may eat it and give up my usual after dinner treat in return.

As for the meat issue, I don't know, but I have found that rather than focusing on not eating things (which always keeps the attention on what you cannot eat and might want -- making it seem more tempting and emphasizing deprivation), I like to focus on what I can and should eat (and love) to have an overall nutritious diet. For me that includes meat, but it need not -- you need protein, but there are non meat sources, of course. More significant than meat is having a balanced and calorie appropriate (don't go too low) diet with adequate protein, vegetables, whatever else you consider important. For me, if I mostly fill up my calories that way I can have a treat (something lower nutrient, whether sugary or cheese or something else) that fits in my calories and not feel compelled to overeat.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've never been a sweet tooth but almost every night I have a cup of tea (no sugar) and a chocolate biscuit, keeps the cravings at bay if I know I will get my reward in the end. But its far to easy to have another biscuit, and another, and another.... just stay strong and remember to keep to your goal! :)
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with over eating sweets and thinking about them ALL the time. I finally increased my protein and fat intake and it has made a significant difference. I still let myself indulge, but the desire to indulge is not constant anymore and the consumption is no longer insatiable.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate and sweets everyday. Didn't hinder my weight loss and it doesn't hinder my maintenance. Don't fight it, make it work for you. Watch your portion of them, yes, but no need to completely eliminate anything.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do a lot better when I don't eat foods with added sugar (and also stick to the lower natural sugar fruits). I feel better, and I can better meet my calorie macros by not wasting calories on sugar. This works for me -- but not everybody needs to limit sugar to feel better/lose weight. Anyway ...here's how it works for me -- I find it easiest just not to eat foods w/ added sugar/high sugar fruits. After about 30 days I just don't miss them, and because I feel so much better it is totally worth it. What do I eat instead? More protein and more fat. Another thing that works for me, is to eat 5 smaller meals a day with adequate protein, cause when I feel hungry I crave sugary things. The upshot -- I feel better, keep my calories where they are set for weight loss, and exercise more (weightlifing, running, 6x per week) cause I feel better!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll call this a first-world white problem. I tried to find an illustration to demonstrate what I'm talking about but I just ended up drawing it myself.

bit.ly/1SCRS27

While obsessing over the white stuff, you are missing the bigger issue bearing down on you. Which is your diet in context. It may very well be you aren't eating enough protein. Fill in your diet overall with the things that you need, and sugar will be crowded out. Don't demonise it and don't try and kill it. Come to terms with it.

I understand your obsession with the white stuff is far below the threshold for an obsessive disorder, but I find the same technique to Relabel, Reattribute, Refocus, and Revalue to be very helpful.

http://www.hope4ocd.com/foursteps.php
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Eric. <sighs dreamily>

Thanks for the great ear worm! :)

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I fight my sugar addiction the same way I fight unicorns.

Are you going over your calorie goal or do you just want to limit sugar for some reason? Knowing your actual goal might help with the suggestions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    blogasese wrote: »
    Hey, I am constantly loosing my fight against sugar. Choclote, dried fruits, sweets, cookies. Endless list that can't stop thinking about. How you fight sugar addiction? Is this anything to do with that that I don't eat much meat?

Sure, I'm susceptible to overeating treats if I haven't eaten enough protein. (And fat and fiber.) I look at each meal at try to roughly hit these macros: 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

After dinner I can have a treat and it doesn't prompt the overeating or cravings.

So, since you're eating meat, you're not a vegetarian - what's preventing you from eating more meat? (If you just don't like it, what about getting more protein from non-meat sources?)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had issues with moderating sugars. The issue was failure. LOL ;) Plus if I ate a fair deal of carbs that triggered even more cravings.

It almost felt like I imagined a mild addiction would feel so I treated it like one and cut sugars and carbs. It worked and my sugar cravings were eliminated within a week or so. It was quite freeing.

Eating LCHF isn't for everyone but it can help with sugar cravings in some.

Good luck.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Are you going over your calorie goal or do you just want to limit sugar for some reason?Knowing your actual goal might help with the suggestions.

Yes...this is an important distinction

It's also important to note that many of the items you listed (chocolate, cookies, most sweets etc) contain a lot more fat than sugar. Many people find it's the combination of the two, not one or the other that's more of an issue.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Are you going over your calorie goal or do you just want to limit sugar for some reason?Knowing your actual goal might help with the suggestions.

Yes...this is an important distinction

It's also important to note that many of the items you listed (chocolate, cookies, most sweets etc) contain a lot more fat than sugar. Many people find it's the combination of the two, not one or the other that's more of an issue.

Maybe the fat is white, too? Like lard, for instance.