Addicted to oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If it's likely to just be a short-term obsession I wouldn't worry about it. When I was sick one week I ate oatmeal constantly since it was easy and comforting and pretty much all I could imagine getting down.

Personally, if eating it for multiple meals, I'd still try to include more cooked vegetables instead of eating veg only at dinner. I sometimes do oatmeal as an alternative to my usual vegetable omelet for breakfast and still usually add some vegetables on the side. I'd also look at how much protein you are getting. But on the whole it's not that big a deal.

I think your right about the short term obsession! I haven't had it in over 6 months and I just started having it last week. It's also really fun with the different flavor combinations. It really is comforting and warm. Even if it is short term, it is strange to be obsessed with oatmeal. I've been addicted in the past to junk food, sweets, candies, pasties, fried things, chips, chocolate, ect. So oatmeal is my healthiest addictive which is great :) But I haven't really heard people addicted to it, so it is weird ha ha.

I will try to include more veggies like on the side :D I think my protein should be okay since all the combinations and ingredients include protein, but I will take a deeper look and actually evaluate it.
  • jenniator
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    How about, "boy, I'm really enjoying eating oatmeal right now! I eat it twice a day. Eventually I'll probably get sick of it, but for now it's a lot of fun to find all the different ways I can enjoy it."

And add some more vegetables and protein in while you are enjoying it.

I love your attitude!! :D Your right! I shouldn't worry too much about it, especially since this is most likely a short-term love affair. I know I will include at least 1 bowl of oatmeal for breakfast at least until it gets warm again, but for now I'm sure it's alright that I have 2 a day, especially if I enjoy it so much. I haven't had it in forever, so it's amazing. I will add more veggies :D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    How about, "boy, I'm really enjoying eating oatmeal right now! I eat it twice a day. Eventually I'll probably get sick of it, but for now it's a lot of fun to find all the different ways I can enjoy it."

^This.

Try stirring some pumpkin into your oatmeal for a veggie serving. Add protein powder for extra protein and some pumpkin pie spice.

I understand going on food kicks, I do that myself. It just seems as if your diet might be a little unbalanced right now. Some macros like protein and fat are really important. The nutrients you get from adequate vegetable consumption are also important.

Another idea is to make zoats. Add some shredded zucchini or carrots to your current oatmeal recipes. You won't taste it, but it will add some more vegetable content to your day.
  • jenniator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    [quote="SLLRunner;347883
    [/quote]

I think you need to get into treatment right away!

Just kidding. :D

I love oatmeal and have it every morning, except weekends when I have French toast and bacon.

However, I would suggest that you take a look at your macros to see where your fat and protein fall, which are probably pretty low. Think balanced nutrition. :) [/quote]

ha ha! Oatmeal really is a strange thing to be addicted or fixated on!!! :D But not the worst. Oatmeal really is wonderful in the cold mornings! I will have to check and see where my protein is at. I actually stay full with the oatmeal and am not hungry which I absolutely love :D A Lot more filling to me than eggs or soups. In the summer I loved greek yogurt with berries and protein powder, but oddly enough I find the oatmeal more satisfying and filling. So that part is great. For a formerly obese person that was use to constantly being stuffed, it is a great filling to be full and one I haven't had in a while. So it's nice to stay so full during the whole day while still being only around 1400 calories!! I've always been a huge eater, so it's funny a small bowl of oatmeal can satisfy and make me full! I do have meat at night, so I'm sure that also helps a lot with the protein as well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Are you meeting your goals (protein, fat, calories, etc.)? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with it. If you're not, you might need to revise your recipes to better allow you to meet your goals. For example, if you're low on your protein goal, you could add protein powder to get in more protein.

To be honest, I haven't really ever payed much attention to my macro's. I mainly focus on the calories and eating well for my body. My body has responded really well with the oatmeal and stays full longer. I think I get good protein with the oatmeal, nuts, chai seeds, coacoa powder, peanut butter, and milk. I also get healthy fat from the nuts, peanut butter, chai seeds, and milk.

One cannot live off oatmeal alone....or even mostly alone. Or, can they.....?

• jenniator
    Options

^This.

Try stirring some pumpkin into your oatmeal for a veggie serving. Add protein powder for extra protein and some pumpkin pie spice.

I understand going on food kicks, I do that myself. It just seems as if your diet might be a little unbalanced right now. Some macros like protein and fat are really important. The nutrients you get from adequate vegetable consumption are also important.

Another idea is to make zoats. Add some shredded zucchini or carrots to your current oatmeal recipes. You won't taste it, but it will add some more vegetable content to your day.

Oh gosh I love your idea of putting pumpkin into the oatmeal!!! Sounds delicious. The only sad thing is here in the Netherlands, we don't have cans of pumpkin puree or anything like that. It seems like a lot of work to make home made pumpkin puree. I actually did add chocolate protein powder in my oatmeal before, but it wasn't chocolately or that good to me, so I switched to cocoa powder which actually has a lot of protein as well :D

I do get decent protein and fat I think :) But I'm not sure how much. The veggies I agree are lacking. I normally don't like fruits or veggies in oatmeal, but it's interesting if you don't taste the zucchini or carrots.
  • jenniator
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Are you meeting your goals (protein, fat, calories, etc.)? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with it. If you're not, you might need to revise your recipes to better allow you to meet your goals. For example, if you're low on your protein goal, you could add protein powder to get in more protein.

To be honest, I haven't really ever payed much attention to my macro's. I mainly focus on the calories and eating well for my body. My body has responded really well with the oatmeal and stays full longer. I think I get good protein with the oatmeal, nuts, chai seeds, coacoa powder, peanut butter, and milk. I also get healthy fat from the nuts, peanut butter, chai seeds, and milk.

One cannot live off oatmeal alone....or even mostly alone. Or, can they.....?

I do add a lot of ingredients in my oatmeal, so it's not just oatmeal :D Also I have a balanced dinner with meat, veggies, and a starch.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

^This.

Oh gosh I love your idea of putting pumpkin into the oatmeal!!! Sounds delicious. The only sad thing is here in the Netherlands, we don't have cans of pumpkin puree or anything like that. It seems like a lot of work to make home made pumpkin puree. I actually did add chocolate protein powder in my oatmeal before, but it wasn't chocolately or that good to me, so I switched to cocoa powder which actually has a lot of protein as well :D

I do get decent protein and fat I think :) But I'm not sure how much. The veggies I agree are lacking. I normally don't like fruits or veggies in oatmeal, but it's interesting if you don't taste the zucchini or carrots.

How about butternut squash? It's close enough, and that's fairly easy to batch cook ahead. You might even be able to find it frozen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I prefer a savory oatmeal. On weekends I often do one that is cooked in chicken stock and I add a tsp or so of soy sauce along with some sauteed ginger and jalapeno then add one fried egg and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and sriracha sauce. It's bomb...
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I say eat what you like as long as you fit it into your calorie goal. These recipes sound yummy, I'll be stealing the chocolate peanut butter one. So thank you for that! :D
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I eat the instant oatmeal stuff. Strawberries and Cream, Bananas and Cream etc. Quaker makes it, there are off brands too. Normally only about 130 calories a packet if you use water. I ate that for breakfast almost every day when I first started. I now mix it up a bit, sometimes oatmeal, sometimes a couple of eggs etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I eat popcorn pretty often. I really love popcorn. I'm not addicted to popcorn.
    I don't see a problem with eating a lot of oatmeal as long as you are sticking to your calorie goal, getting enough protein, getting several servings of vegetables or fruits a day.
    I like baked oatmeals. Pumpkin pie baked oatmeal, cranberry apple or strawberry cheesecake baked oatmeal are pretty yummy.
    Budget Bytes has some oatmeal recipes.http://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/breakfast/
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been said but have you tried pureeing a banana in your oatmeal. I know you said you don't care for fruit in the oatmeal but seriously, pureeing a banana into it takes the oats to a whole new flavor dimension :D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I prefer a savory oatmeal. On weekends I often do one that is cooked in chicken stock and I add a tsp or so of soy sauce along with some sauteed ginger and jalapeno then add one fried egg and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and sriracha sauce. It's bomb...

I love savory oatmeal!

I will do vegetable stock with some peanut butter or PB2, chili paste, and topped with zatar (a Middle Eastern spice blend). When I travel and am eating from a hotel buffet, I'll hack it with peanut butter and hot sauce. Sweet oatmeal is good, but it feels more like dessert to me.
  • jenniator
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been said but have you tried pureeing a banana in your oatmeal. I know you said you don't care for fruit in the oatmeal but seriously, pureeing a banana into it takes the oats to a whole new flavor dimension :D

hmmm that does sound delicious :D Do I add anything else or just banana?
  • JShailen
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »

hmmm that does sound delicious :D Do I add anything else or just banana?

I add loads of different things depending on mood. Sometimes, honey or maple syrup, peanut or almond butter, cocoa, cocoa + coffee granules, coconut shavings, chia seeds, walnuts, other fruits...you get the idea lol

heres a couple of good references for banana based oatmeal, http://www.theoatmealartist.com/basic-banana-oatmeal-variations/
    and http://breakfastdramaqueen.com/2014/03/18/good-ol-banana-oatmeal/

the second includes zuchinni. I don't do that often but it is nice from time to time.
  • JShailen
    Options
    forgot to add, also vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg are staples for me in oatmeal. Unless I'm making savory oats.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I say eat what you like as long as you fit it into your calorie goal. These recipes sound yummy, I'll be stealing the chocolate peanut butter one. So thank you for that! :D

easy enough to say, but if your macros are out of balance, it makes a difference. Calorie goals are what matter for weight loss and maintenance, and macro balances and nutrients are what matter for your health.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 120-200 grams of oats a day....I love them!(:
  • jenniator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 120-200 grams of oats a day....I love them!(:

Whooo finally someone that understands me :D Wow you do eat a impressive amount!! I've been eating about 60-90 grams a day:P But then again, Women do have lower calorie intake than men. So I would eat more if I could fit them in my calorie goal xD