December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

[quote="Becky_44;34785984 [/quote]

Piriformis, I found out about this a couple months ago after more than a year of pain I couldn't exactly pinpoint and none of my stretches helped. Now I do a stretch that keeps it tolerant most of the time. But im certain this will be number one reason i wont make it to long distance running. What stretches do you do for it?

As far as the 5k, I'll just say what most everyone told me for Thanksgiving run. Do it, do what you can and enjoy it. All it will do is encourage you to get back out again.[/quote]

Thanks @Becky_44. These are the ones I do.
    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/stretches-and-exercise-sciatic-pain-piriformis-syndrome
    I do them before and after every run and I do the one in Figure 19 at my desk sitting in my chair (basically ankle over knee and lean foreword) whenever I have been sitting to long. It seems to work better for me if I can keep my back straight.

I did end up entering the race. If nothing else it will be a good time and the sweatshirt is cool. LOL.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I saw this article this morning and thought of @5BeautifulDays and I think @ceciliaslater? Any one else on a low carb diet.

I know several here regularly run fasted. I run late in the day with my work schedule, 6a-3p. I've always made a point to eat a few hours before I run. Maybe I won't be so strict about it now. Might actually help me lose a bit since I'm stuck.

http://www.runnersworld.com/diet/can-eating-more-fat-make-you-a-better-runner

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No run today. Got my ink finished last night and feeling a little tender.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Saw the P.A. yesterday about my knee. Long and informative session. He prescribed Mobic. Thought for sure he would aspirate the fluid but he says there isn't more than about 15cc's, I'm not complaining of significant pain, so he didn't aspirate, didn't inject cortisone, but DID tell me that at some point (esp bcuz I'm running) I will definitely need a knee replacement. Could be 5 yrs or 25 yrs from now but that it WILL happen. He also said that after the replacement there will no longer be running in my life because that's not what the new knees are designed for, or made for. I couldn't help it, my response to him was that 1) I'm not going to stop running 2) perhaps, if it's another 20 yrs or so before I need the replacement, maybe by then knees will be made for those of us who must run, and 3) I've lost 43 pounds with walking, running, swimming, cycling, and that it's now my lifestyle. I can't stop. Don't want to stop. Not going to stop. His frustration with me was obvious. After more discussion where I held my ground, he suggested a compression sleeve. omg. I honestly never thought of that! Straight to Dick's sporting goods, $25 later I've got a new Copper fit Pro Series compression sleeve with kinesiology bands built in. I'm running at lunch today so I'll know pretty soon if it helps.

I don't get it. They want us to lose weight. They want us to improve our health. They want us to be active. And every doctor I see, tells me that what I'm doing to reach those goals, I shouldn't be doing. It's too hard on the body. I'm too old for that. I'm 52. I'm not too old for anything! Uggghh! Okay. I'm done venting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Many doctors do not think running is beneficial but rather something bad that kills knees. Studies have been showing differently. obviously, weight is a factor but overall, results are positive
    Maybe consider a doctor that is a runner themself or a GP that is not anti running.
    more proknee stuff
    how to prevent some knee issues
    article on different study
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Awesome @morningghost14 - we want to see and welcome back.
    Virkati wrote: »
    Saw the P.A. yesterday about my knee. Long and informative session. He prescribed Mobic. Thought for sure he would aspirate the fluid but he says there isn't more than about 15cc's, I'm not complaining of significant pain, so he didn't aspirate, didn't inject cortisone, but DID tell me that at some point (esp bcuz I'm running) I will definitely need a knee replacement. Could be 5 yrs or 25 yrs from now but that it WILL happen. He also said that after the replacement there will no longer be running in my life because that's not what the new knees are designed for, or made for. I couldn't help it, my response to him was that 1) I'm not going to stop running 2) perhaps, if it's another 20 yrs or so before I need the replacement, maybe by then knees will be made for those of us who must run, and 3) I've lost 43 pounds with walking, running, swimming, cycling, and that it's now my lifestyle. I can't stop. Don't want to stop. Not going to stop. His frustration with me was obvious. After more discussion where I held my ground, he suggested a compression sleeve. omg. I honestly never thought of that! Straight to Dick's sporting goods, $25 later I've got a new Copper fit Pro Series compression sleeve with kinesiology bands built in. I'm running at lunch today so I'll know pretty soon if it helps.

I don't get it. They want us to lose weight. They want us to improve our health. They want us to be active. And every doctor I see, tells me that what I'm doing to reach those goals, I shouldn't be doing. It's too hard on the body. I'm too old for that. I'm 52. I'm not too old for anything! Uggghh! Okay. I'm done venting.

@virkati the other day I met a guy on a trail run, his running group runs 4-8 miles on trail every day. He has had a knee replacement and all the veins removed from his leg. He said everyone in the group is older and has something "bionic" in their bodies. I'm calling BS on the not running anymore. My spine doctor said "stop running" he is no longer my doctor, my general doc tells me go go go just mind my body, her I love.

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Holy jeez, it's a hot one out there today (considering the time of year, of course). Upper 60s and climbing, sunny, light breeze. I did 6 miles over my lunch break and finished in 57:10. Tried out a bit of a new course. I work in downtown Tulsa, about 1.25 miles from the River Parks trails (paved biking and pedestrian trails on each side of the Arkansas River). Ran down to the trails, across the river at Southwest Blvd, down the River West Trail to the 21st/23rd St Bridge, back across the river (complete with geese frolicking in the water) to the East Trail, back up to SW Blvd (here I almost twisted my ankle while keeping my eye on a shifty looking squirrel), then followed the same route back into downtown. The total distance was a little shorter than I needed, so I made an extra loop around the event center before heading back to my building.

I really like the loop path better than the out-and-back methodology I've been following. Now if they'd just open the pedestrian bridge at 27th St back up I would have the perfect 6 mile route...

December Totals: 26/96 miles completed
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Let's see it (assuming it's in a safe place)!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I figured there HAD to be people running with replacements and they just weren't telling him. That's the person I would be. I'd just tell him whatever he needed to hear to shut him up lol. I'm going to do a thorough search and get my healthcare team together with the same goals I have and who will be supportive. I can't take it anymore. I'm sick of being told to do something about my weight and my health and then getting negative response when I do exactly what I was told to do, simply because I didn't do it the way someone else thought I should. They can all go suck a rotten egg!! I'm going for my run in about ten minutes and my world will be right again :smiley:
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    [quote="Becky_44;34785984

Piriformis, I found out about this a couple months ago after more than a year of pain I couldn't exactly pinpoint and none of my stretches helped. Now I do a stretch that keeps it tolerant most of the time. But im certain this will be number one reason i wont make it to long distance running. What stretches do you do for it?

As far as the 5k, I'll just say what most everyone told me for Thanksgiving run. Do it, do what you can and enjoy it. All it will do is encourage you to get back out again.[/quote]

Thanks @Becky_44. These are the ones I do.
    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/stretches-and-exercise-sciatic-pain-piriformis-syndrome
    I do them before and after every run and I do the one in Figure 19 at my desk sitting in my chair (basically ankle over knee and lean foreword) whenever I have been sitting to long. It seems to work better for me if I can keep my back straight.

I did end up entering the race. If nothing else it will be a good time and the sweatshirt is cool. LOL.[/quote]

Yay! For entering the race!

Here's the stretch I found about 3 months or so ago, that I believe is what has made it so much more tolerable for me and has helped me get back to running. When I first did it it was so amazing, cause I felt it relieve every aspect of pain, (hip front and back, SI Joint, butt, and even sciatic pain down my leg is so much better too). It's the third stretch on this video, called the Prone Figure 4 Isometric. I do it on two different beds and my couch. The bed I sleep in works the best because of the height and the stabilization I can get so I'm not feeling like I'm just going to fall over. Give it a try if you haven't already!

Edit: I don't know how to get the link to come up with out a big ole video planted in the middle of this post. so if you want, go to youtube and search Top 3 Exercises for Piriformis syndrome.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

November-Holiday Streak
    26-5.90 Race 10K -my oversight, thought it was sanctioned.
    27- 1.02 TM
    28-5.60
    29-1.02 TM
    30-3.47

1-6.03
    2-1.02 TM
    3-10.01
    4-4.15 walk, per HM training plan
    5-7.23
    6-1.0 TM
    7-6.02
    8- migraine
    9-4.12
    10-5.37

44.95/90+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was feeling a bit blah yesterday so I moved my 3 miles to today. Hopefully it doesn't affect my deadlifts this evening.
    exercise.png
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    3.1 miles this morning. Tried out some new trail shoes - they guide me to bend a bit more in the ankle than I'm used to (but need to do), so I could feel it in my calves by mile 1. I think these shoes will be good for me in the long run but will take some getting used to :)

exercise.png
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/12 - 13.2 miles
    02/12 - 13.6 miles
    03/12 - 10.3 km
    04/12 - 13.6 miles
    05/12 - 10.4 km
    06/12 - 20.8 miles
    07/12 - 10.3 km
    08/12 - 13.4 miles
    09/12 - 13.6 miles
    10/12 - 10.4 km

tot 185/500 km

so far, best week in the last 2 months

first of all no more pain, super super happy

I made the mistake to listen to people and thinking I was overdoing, it was not normal to wake up at 4 to run etc, and that affected my commitment and morale.
    But for me running is entertainment, an expression of freedom, a way to prove myself, something I enjoy, and this is simply how it will be. 430-630 in the morning is my time, and I'll enjoy it.

Happy also that pace is improving a lot as well.

I probably underestimated the recovery post marathon, I acknowledge that and it is a lesson learnt for the future.

didn't win a spot for Berlin :disappointed:

• MorningGhost14
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    12/1....................6.00....................6.00
    12/2....................5.00..................11.00
    12/3....................6.25..................17.25
    12/4...................REST.................17.25
    12/5....................14.00.................31.25
    12/6...................REST.................31.25
    12/7......................3.75.................35.00
    12/8......................7.50.................42.50
    12/9......................4.00.................46.50
    12/10.................REST.................46.50

exercise.png

• MorningGhost14
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Today was a rest day, because I am recovering from getting this last night...
    nm7wydy59ipt.jpg

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Today was a rest day, because I recovering from getting this last night...
    nm7wydy59ipt.jpg

Wow! Nice!
  • daverim1978
    daverim1978 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Any of you guys use garmin connect?
  • MorningGhost14
    Options

I do....
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I have an account, but don't really socialize on it. I am more active on strava.