Calorie Prioritization - Yes, a calorie is a calorie….

Options

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    But doughnuts have the insulin effect and the vegetables do not. The spike of insulin would differ no matter the calories amount, sugar is the variable, the amount the kind, and how it's broken down. THE END

You are aware that protein also causes a rise in blood sugar/insulin spike also, right?

Here's a good research review article to help you learn a little more about what insulin is and what it does, complete with plenty of scientific studies done on humans (not mouse studies, as you linked in your subsequent post): weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

I can only respond to this by saying you NEED protein, you DO NOT need simple carbs like PROCESSED SUGARY FOODS doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, as you made completely aware by posting this.

thats funny because doughnuts have fat in them and I am pretty sure that you need a minimum amount of fat in your diet...

what about complex carbs, do you need them?

and since we are in the gaining forum you are going to need a certain amount of carbs to stimulate muscle growth and what not, because insulin...

I'm also pretty sure they are different types of fats, but I'm not gonna sit here all day going over every little detail because you cherry pick a word for phrase and run with it. About the doughnut. Yes there is fat, but there is fat in peanut butter, coconut oils too. The difference once again is what the food is, not all food is equal, on a caloric level, nutritional level, and biological level. If a person needs a doughnut to get fat they are doing something wrong, when there are plenty of other foods, that will do the same thing and are just as easy to consume and an overal healthy choice.

If they only had doughnuts to eat, which is doubt is the situation, then fine do what you have to do, but everything has consequences, and eating doughnuts to get fat macros will have it's.

You're precious.
    Have another oldie but goldie along the linesof NDJ's "calories are equal but nutrition isn't".
    You don't get extra credits for going above and beyond your micronutrient needs.

It goes both ways, you don't get any significant bonus by eating processed sugary foods.

Although, I do believere most people who are here to gain muscle and be healthy would choose foods in extra micronutrients regardless if it helped or not, and limit others. It just makes more sense to.

you don't NEED extra micro nutrients either, as you get zero additional benefit from extra micros and your body can only absorb so many...

And if you have a 500 calorie surplus to fill in good luck doing that with 500 calories of vegetables every day ...

maybe you should try and run a bulk and then come back later and lecture us on how to do it properly...

You can actually do "damage" to your body if ingesting too much of a certain micronutrient.......
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But doughnuts have the insulin effect and the vegetables do not. The spike of insulin would differ no matter the calories amount, sugar is the variable, the amount the kind, and how it's broken down. THE END

You are aware that protein also causes a rise in blood sugar/insulin spike also, right?

Here's a good research review article to help you learn a little more about what insulin is and what it does, complete with plenty of scientific studies done on humans (not mouse studies, as you linked in your subsequent post): weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

I can only respond to this by saying you NEED protein, you DO NOT need simple carbs like PROCESSED SUGARY FOODS doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, as you made completely aware by posting this.

If you are bulking you need calories and you may need energy to fuel workouts that is aided by fast carbs, depending on who you are and how you react to certain foods.

More to the point, if you are bulking, what's wrong with an insulin spike? Nothing cited so far seems to support the idea that it ought to be avoided whenever possible.

I don't think a person should avoid "spiking", I would recommend doing it after a workout or before to ensure that energy is efficiently used when the body needs it, and these two times are the only times it really be.

But, that is not what I am saying. I am pointing out that foods with high sugar intake spike insulin regardless if you already hit macro requirements or not. It happens, it's not basis, so there is no reason but to consume those foods with these calories, other than hitting number of calories.

When a person says "a calorie is just a calorie." They forget that not all calories are and it' not just nutritionally either.

I don't need to give some link, (even though there is many) I can just give a kid some of those calories;cookies ice cream and candy bars (besides the alcohol), sit back and watch what happens. It's not like i'm making this up.

You'll see an almost instant reaction, then you have to ask why it's not the same reaction if a carb is just a carb or a calorie is just a calorie. If I gave them chicken breast, broccoli, does the same thing happen? And what happens internally?

Then we explore was there an internal effect, it's called insulin spike, Even if protein/fats makes your insulin spike, large amounts of cookies do it more and faster and these foods have no nutritional value. So, we conclude with common sense that we should limit those first foods unless it make sense to consume them. It should only makes sense when you're about to workout, or after, meal timing...

The eating of the calories mention to hit a caloric goal, goes against the OP's explanation regardless, they are supposed to be fillers( but limited) after macros are hit. To even state that one eats them to get fat macros contradicts itself already.

So, there is nothing wrong with an insulin spike, but people should be aware that certain foods, with certain calories can cause unwanted spikes, and cookies, ice cream, soda, just happen to be some.

Alcohol is another subject, it can take up to 3-4 days to recover from drinking it, that is 4 days lost when bulking or cutting. I hope this helps.

• jmule24
    Options

If you are bulking you need calories and you may need energy to fuel workouts that is aided by fast carbs, depending on who you are and how you react to certain foods.

More to the point, if you are bulking, what's wrong with an insulin spike? Nothing cited so far seems to support the idea that it ought to be avoided whenever possible.

I don't think a person should avoid "spiking", I would recommend doing it after a workout or before to ensure that energy is efficiently used when the body needs it, and these two times are the only times it really be should be

But, that is not what I am saying. I am pointing out that foods with high sugar intake spike insulin regardless if you already hit macro requirements or not. It happens, it's not basis, so there is no reason but to consume those foods with these calories, other than hitting number of calories.

When a person says "a calorie is just a calorie." They forget that not all calories are and it' not just nutritionally either.

I don't need to give some link, (even though there is many) I can just give a kid some of those calories;cookies ice cream and candy bars (besides the alcohol), sit back and watch what happens. It's not like i'm making this up.

You'll see an almost instant reaction, then you have to ask why it's not the same reaction if a carb is just a carb or a calorie is just a calorie. If I gave them chicken breast, broccoli, does the same thing happen? And what happens internally?

Then we explore was there an internal effect, it's called insulin spike, Even if protein/fats makes your insulin spike, large amounts of cookies do it more and faster and these foods have no nutritional value. So, we conclude with common sense that we should limit those first foods unless it make sense to consume them. It should only makes sense when you're about to workout, or after, meal timing...

The eating of the calories mention to hit a caloric goal, goes against the OP's explanation regardless, they are supposed to be fillers( but limited) after macros are hit. To even state that one eats them to get fat macros contradicts itself already.

So, there is nothing wrong with an insulin spike, but people should be aware that certain foods, with certain calories can cause unwanted spikes, and cookies, ice cream, soda, just happen to be some.

Alcohol is another subject, it can take up to 3-4 days to recover from drinking it, that is 4 days lost when bulking or cutting. I hope this helps.

You do know there is no "secret" anabolic window post workout, right? Muscle Protein Synthesis usually spikes around 24 hours after you workout and up to 48 hours for total MPS........
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I don't think a person should avoid "spiking", I would recommend doing it after a workout or before to ensure that energy is efficiently used when the body needs it, and these two times are the only times it really be should be

Sorry to take this off topic but I wanted to respond to that-

I know when you give kids sugar people perceive an increase in activity or what parents describe as a "sugar high". Funny thing is, when parents are told their child has been given sugar they perceive the "sugar high" even in case where the child actually wasn't given any.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

thats funny because doughnuts have fat in them and I am pretty sure that you need a minimum amount of fat in your diet...

what about complex carbs, do you need them?

and since we are in the gaining forum you are going to need a certain amount of carbs to stimulate muscle growth and what not, because insulin...

I'm also pretty sure they are different types of fats, but I'm not gonna sit here all day going over every little detail because you cherry pick a word for phrase and run with it. About the doughnut. Yes there is fat, but there is fat in peanut butter, coconut oils too. The difference once again is what the food is, not all food is equal, on a caloric level, nutritional level, and biological level. If a person needs a doughnut to get fat they are doing something wrong, when there are plenty of other foods, that will do the same thing and are just as easy to consume and an overal healthy choice.

If they only had doughnuts to eat, which is doubt is the situation, then fine do what you have to do, but everything has consequences, and eating doughnuts to get fat macros will have it's.

You're precious.
    Have another oldie but goldie along the linesof NDJ's "calories are equal but nutrition isn't".
    You don't get extra credits for going above and beyond your micronutrient needs.

It goes both ways, you don't get any significant bonus by eating processed sugary foods.

Although, I do believere most people who are here to gain muscle and be healthy would choose foods in extra micronutrients regardless if it helped or not, and limit others. It just makes more sense to.

you don't NEED extra micro nutrients either, as you get zero additional benefit from extra micros and your body can only absorb so many...

And if you have a 500 calorie surplus to fill in good luck doing that with 500 calories of vegetables every day ...

maybe you should try and run a bulk and then come back later and lecture us on how to do it properly...

You can actually do "damage" to your body if ingesting too much of a certain micronutrient.......
    I understand that, but some sources (not necessarily peer reviewed) will say that there is some benefit to eating more than the RDA for nutrients. That's not to say someone should go and start pounding away at as many micros as possible, but some people think the RDA amounts are for preventing deficiencies of some nutrients and not the most optimal amounts.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I don't think a person should avoid "spiking", I would recommend doing it after a workout or before to ensure that energy is efficiently used when the body needs it, and these two times are the only times it really be.

Interesting, because when people who actually know how to run a study do one, they use a method called double-blind. They don't just give kids candy bars which a kids sees and starts running around before eating because candy bars can be exciting. Instead, proper double-blind studies hide the sugar in other food and then observe what happens, and rate the hyperactivity without themselves knowing which children have been exposed to the variable.
    So what happens when we run an experiment that way? Well, we actually find that sugar doesn't cause any of the hyperactivity you think it does via "insulin spiking." That's why I dislike anyone saying common sense proves anything - no, in my epistemology, common sense only proves you're willing to fall back on hearsay instead of actually challenging your assumptions with proper methodology.

So yes, in the sense that you're basing your assumptions on conditions that you create (anticipating kids acting hyper on sugar which leads to them being hyper) you are making it up.
  • JoshLibby
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

You do know there is no "secret" anabolic window post workout, right? Muscle Protein Synthesis usually spikes around 24 hours after you workout and up to 48 hours for total MPS........

Once again, good information, but what does it even have regards to? Are you giving me information or trying to now talk about protein synthesis.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    This post and the billions like it can be boiled down to a single statement:

Micronutrients are important so eat a varied diet.
  • JoshLibby
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Interesting, because when people who actually know how to run a study do one, they use a method called double-blind. They don't just give kids candy bars which a kids sees and starts running around before eating because candy bars can be exciting. Instead, proper double-blind studies hide the sugar in other food and then observe what happens, and rate the hyperactivity without themselves knowing which children have been exposed to the variable.
    So what happens when we run an experiment that way? Well, we actually find that sugar doesn't cause any of the hyperactivity you think it does via "insulin spiking." That's why I dislike anyone saying common sense proves anything - no, in my epistemology, common sense only proves you're willing to fall back on hearsay instead of actually challenging your assumptions with proper methodology.

So yes, in the sense that you're basing your assumptions on conditions that you create (anticipating kids acting hyper on sugar which leads to them being hyper) you are making it up.

Making it up? I'm basing it off experience with being a parent, seeing other kids that have been giving the food sources, hearing about on the internet, memes. There are studies as well one can just type it in google. If I keep posting i'll just be here all day defending myself, as it seems no matter what I write, the links I post you're not willing to see it or ignore it.
  • jmule24
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote:

jmule24 wrote:
    joshlibby wrote:
    Once again, good information, but what does it even have regards to? Are you giving me information or trying to now talk about protein synthesis.

See above posts. So, I just provide "good information," or factual information? Either way, you seem to be disagreeing with your previous statement made.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm trying hard to understand this, but I don't think you've written clearly what you are trying to say.

To recap: Foods with high sugar spike insulin -- well, depends on the fiber and other factors, but okay.

They do so regardless of if you already hit macro requirements or not -- sure, but so?

Based on this you conclude: there is no reason to consume those foods with those calories other than hitting the calories you need.

My response: perhaps not, but getting the calories may be important, and if there's no negative outcome from eating the foods -- and you haven't pointed to any -- why does someone need a special additional reason to do it?

Moving on:

No, this is a misunderstanding. Calories have no nutrients. They are measures of energy. Foods have nutrients. No one ever says "all foods are identical." That is (obviously) not what "a calorie is a calorie" means. It also is certainly not what I'd take from OP's original post.

As for the kid, not sure what you are claiming would happen, but my understanding is that the "sugar high" thing is basically a myth and is believed to be observed more because we expect it (better not give the kids sugar or they will be hyper) than in reality. However, that aside, I do think that you can get a quick energy boost from sugar and not broccoli or chicken (that's why I used gels when doing a triathlon and didn't chomp away on a chicken leg when on my bike -- well, that and many other good reasons).

Insulin isn't the reason, though -- the quick availability of the sugar you have consumed as fuel for the body is. (Insulin of course helps sugar get where it needs to go.)
    Even if protein/fats makes your insulin spike, large amounts of cookies do it more and faster and these foods have no nutritional value. So, we conclude with common sense that we should limit those first foods unless it make sense to consume them. It should only makes sense when you're about to workout, or after, meal timing...

Why? This presumes that the insulin is bad. In someone who is insulin sensitive and exercises a good amount, it is not.

I'm confused again. You are eating them to fill up your calorie goal. That's what OP said: after macros and micros it doesn't much matter, although he recommended lots of carbs. I did not say anything about fat macros.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Making it up? I'm basing it off experience with being a parent, seeing other kids that have been giving the food sources, hearing about on the internet, memes. There are studies as well one can just type it in google. If I keep posting i'll just be here all day defending myself, as it seems no matter what I write, the links I post you're not willing to see it or ignore it.

You're basing it on self fulfilling bias. That's what I mean by making it up. Simply looking at your kids and how they behave after giving them a treat is filled with poor methodological design for a psychological study. Are you really not familiar with the fact that all good psychological studies tend to need double blind methodology to prevent "common sense" and other prejudices from just giving people the result they were looking for instead of the truth?
    And so far in this thread, I've seen at least one or two instance where people paid more attention to the link you posted than you did. I'd really enjoy seeing a proper, double-blind study done on children's behavior after ingesting sugar.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Funny, when I google I find studies and articles that talk about the myth of the sugar high and why the myth persists.

I am on my phone so it is hard to link the articles.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sorry to get back on topic lol but...
    A calorie is a calorie since it's a unit of energy, but that doesn't mean that 200 calories from potato chips will have the same effect on body composition as 200 calories from lean protein and veggies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you get information from internet memes, really?

the links you posted actually ran counter to your insulin argument, as they stated that insulin spikes signal muscle growth.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jay_upi wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie since it's a unit of energy, but that doesn't mean that 200 calories from potato chips will have the same effect on body composition as 200 calories from lean protein and veggies.

But what about if by the end of the day the macros and total calories were the same? We don't eat 200 calories in isolation, you have to take into account the overall diet, not one snack or meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Someone eats 3200 calories of lean protein and veggies (good luck doing that -- you should at least include brown rice to make it easier).

Someone else eats 3000 calories of lean protein and veggies plus 200 calories of chips.

Are you really saying there's going to be a meaningful difference in body comp?

The second guy is probably fueling his workouts better, depending on how restrictive your definition of "veggies" is.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If someone wants to bulk on chicken, broccoli, rice, oatmeal, kale, etc., has no problem hitting their surplus, feels good, not overly stuffed, great for them. However in this section there is a lot of "I can't hit my calorie goal, I am stuffed, I'm not gaining, what can I do eat more etc" people are under the misconception that if they have some treat or sugary food it will go straight to turning into fat while that is not true.

Bulking is not easy. There were days that I had 300-500 cals left over at the end of the day and I was stuffed... last thing I want is MORE kale, MORE chicken MORE Greek Yogurt :s . Why not enjoy the bulk, so adding in foods I enjoy be it peanut butter, some chips, popcorn, ice cream, cookies, cake, chocolate milk etc. If you enjoy extra chicken and rice and don't feel stuffed, great. If you want to add a mass gainer, great. However, at the end.. hitting the surplus is what matters and why not add foods you like and that are not super filling to help you get there.

As I mentioned before, I had great results with minimal fat gain eating mostly nutrient dense foods, plus a few glasses of wine/beer and a treat most nights and I am happy I went about it the way I did.

Thanks @ndj1979 for this post
  • jmule24
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A great article by Alan Aragon on The "Clean vs. Dirty" debate....

http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html

And if you're questioning his "creditability" a quick search pulls up these research articles.....

http://www.jissn.com/search/results?terms=alan aragon
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

My OP stated that they give you the same energy; however, they do not contain the same nutritional profile.

Here would be my question back to you. If I have hit macro minimums, and micro nutrients, then what does it matter if i hit my surplus with 500 calories of ice cream or 500 calories of vegetables?