What's the first thing you cut out to help in weight loss

Options

Replies

• fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm not one of those "eat everything in moderation" peeps of mfp. I don't really eat bread or pasta (unless it's homemade) when I'm cutting, or maintaining. Doesn't fit well. I just put everything I'd want in a sandwich or taco on a salad.

Yeah. No bread, desserts, high carb fruits (I miss bananas), no added sugar. Tonight I'm scraping the stuff off a pizza and mixing it with salad. Worked like a charm for 26 pounds so far.
  • LilyBlight
    LilyBlight Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I cut out soda and other sugary drinks, and avoid drinking calories in general. I avoid simple carbs. I learned to say no most of the time when other people offer me snacks, desserts, sweets, or to make me a cocktail or something. I also cut out eating when I'm really not hungry.

I think more important than anything, exercising portion control is helping me get used to eating as much as my body needs and no more.

Edit: I had also temporarily given up some higher-glycemic fruits. I'm strategically working some of those back into my diet in appropriate portions now but still prefer fruits that are less sugary.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    fkwan wrote: »
    I'm not one of those "eat everything in moderation" peeps of mfp. I don't really eat bread or pasta (unless it's homemade) when I'm cutting, or maintaining. Doesn't fit well. I just put everything I'd want in a sandwich or taco on a salad.

Yeah. No bread, desserts, high carb fruits (I miss bananas), no added sugar. Tonight I'm scraping the stuff off a pizza and mixing it with salad. Worked like a charm for 26 pounds so far.

Yeah I don't eat much fruit either. I have no problem with sugar actually, I would rather just have two oreos rather than one banana. I actually eat about 500 calories of dessert every night too.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The low-hanging fruit - alcohol, junk food, and added sugar. It makes for a pretty un-fun diet, but once I've lost ten or fifteen pounds it takes me a few years to put it back on just eating normally, so a few months of pain is worth it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    The low-hanging fruit - alcohol, junk food, and added sugar. It makes for a pretty un-fun diet, but once I've lost ten or fifteen pounds it takes me a few years to put it back on just eating normally, so a few months of pain is worth it.

But...then you put it back on? Why not just include it, use a food scale and log? Then you might not put it back on because you've learned how much you can have to maintain/lose weight. Sorry, that confuses me.
  • Larissa_NY
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

But...then you put it back on? Why not just include it, use a food scale and log? Then you might not put it back on because you've learned how much you can have to maintain/lose weight. Sorry, that confuses me.

Because a weight variation of ten pounds over a number of years is not going to affect my health, my wardrobe, my self-image, or anything else. It's simply not that big a deal. On the other hand, the same number of years spent slaving over a food scale and incessant logging would probably put me in a mental hospital.

I might feel differently if I had to scratch and claw and white-knuckle my food intake for every pound I lose, but I don't. I also lift weights, and building muscle requires me to eat over maintenance from time to time. I'm over 45, I'm well into the normal range of BMI, and - most importantly - I'm aware that it's impossible to accurately and precisely count either calories in or calories out, so I choose not to drive myself nuts doing something with almost no benefit to me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Soda. I never liked it anyway.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Soda....or as we call it here "pop"

I know it's a hot button for many whether it affects cravings but I can't deny that when I cut it my cravings are non existent. Maybe it's the increase in water or the decrease in chems. Who knows. Either way it's way easier sticking to a plan if I cut it. I may have one here and there but overall I try to go without.

The rest all goes in moderation. I still enjoy "fun" foods but it's the frequency and quantity that changes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did was look at my portions relative to recommended servings...and fixed that. The second thing I did was look at how much oil I was using for cooking...I love to cook and was loading everything up with oil and butter. I quickly discovered that any dish I make is equally as good with far less oil/butter than I was using. The third thing I did was dropping soda from my diet for the most part...I'd rather fit in an adult beverage than a kids beverage any day.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    Just curious. I know some cut out sweets while some cut out carbs while some cut out starches to help. I cut back on sweets and empty calories

white bread ( well mostly... I try as much as I can), pasta, added salt and sugar and junk food
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I cut drinkable calories - soda, juice, alcohol. Now I have a latte once in a while but unsweetened. Didn't cut anything else.
  • chairez863
    chairez863 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't buy salt, oil, tortillas or bread , no alcohol and I buy a little scale for weighing my food 5 or 6 oz. I eat 5 times a day.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I haven't outrightly cut anything out of my diet, but I am much more hesitant to drink alcohol now. I'm not opposed to even getting drunk now and again, but not as frequently as I was when I was 21. I've started drinking smoothies daily too - the one I made yesterday was under 300 calories and maybe only 12 ounces, but woahhhh it was filling.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    All I did was cut down portions/count calories. It's worked for 66 pounds now.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Refined carbs and added sugars were cut out first.
  • flowermami
    flowermami Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sugar....it's sooo EVILLLL
  • arditarose
    Options
    flowermami wrote: »
    Sugar....it's sooo EVILLLL

JK?
  • sprc1616
    sprc1616 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Drinkable calories...goodbye Starbucks sugar drinks! Now I only have one drink per season - usually whatever the special is. I also usually throw out half of it. And I was never a big drinker, but I consume way less alcohol.

Oh, and peanut butter/nuts. I always thought of them as a healthy snack, but they're so calorie-dense for the amount of protein they give. A bag of peanuts is usually something around 250 calories, and at 1200 per day that's a big deal for me.

Interestingly, I haven't cut back as much on the sweets I really love, such as chocolate and cookies. I just eat less. Quality over quantity.
  • Larissa_NY
    Options
    sprc1616 wrote: »
    Drinkable calories...goodbye Starbucks sugar drinks! Now I only have one drink per season - usually whatever the special is. I also usually throw out half of it. And I was never a big drinker, but I consume way less alcohol.

Oh, and peanut butter/nuts. I always thought of them as a healthy snack, but they're so calorie-dense for the amount of protein they give. A bag of peanuts is usually something around 250 calories, and at 1200 per day that's a big deal for me.

Interestingly, I haven't cut back as much on the sweets I really love, such as chocolate and cookies. I just eat less. Quality over quantity.

You will pry my Starbucks out of my cold dead hands, but lately I find that I've had to ask them to put in half the usual amount of syrup for things like pumpkin spice lattes and the peppermint mochas around Christmas. It's just too cloying otherwise. The baristas are always very accommodating about it.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    pop & wine. Well daily wine anyway, I still drink a few glasses on the weekends.