December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Best race swag? I got a nice running jacket for being one of the first 200 to register for the 25th annual Race with Grace 10K on Thanksgiving. (Next 700 got long sleeve tech shirts, long sleeve cotton after that.)

And I got a nice hat for Winter Warrior Half Marathon last January. It's a great stocking hat to wear in the winter. It wicks sweat well enough to wear while running, but we didn't have a whole lot of days cold enough to wear it running last winter; might not get any this winter. But I got a nice ice beard selfie in that hat after a 10 mile run that I started at -10° F. (Not to worry, it got warmer as I ran; it was up to +5° F by the time I took the ice beard selfie.

iu3j4ltynry1.jpg
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14

thanks - after a while of doing it the body and mind get used to it, so really there isn't much difference in running a 10k or a hm in my experience, and more importantly, I run because I like it and I enjoy it, and this helps with my monthly mileage

to be completely brutal and honest, the only massive problem I'm having is that people think I lost my mind and I am over doing it. And depending on the context, this could create some problems

it is really true that people "worry" about you when you are very fit, with a very healthy and balanced diet and a heart that is like a clock, and not when you are obese and sedentary and your heart is pumping at 180 bpm just when breathing.....

anyway, I need to think about my new goal for 2016, I don't think I can increase the mileage further, as waking up at 4 is enough :smiley:

I was thinking at a 50k as next step and I saw you registered for one. Are you following a particular training and how do you find it from a mental point of view? Have you run 1 before?

I want a new challenge and I think a 50k could be my next one. I never followed any training and my evil inner voice sometimes speaks too much during my long runs, it worked up to 43km done in training, but for a 50k I need to be more consistent so I'm looking for a good advice
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 - lol - it is so true that people do worry about those that are fit. When I was overweight no one said a thing! Now they feel they can say "you shouldn't exercise so much ... you know sometimes people die when running!" WTH - just mind your own business!
    I had to laugh at your getting up before 4am comment. I went through that when I was trying to figure out when to train for my first HM because I don't normally run on the weekend. So I just couldn't see setting the alarm any earlier than 4am. I don't like to tell anyone what time I run. Most of the women I work with say "what? are you crazy? aren't you scared?" Nope - sure, I've had my little frights, but it's usually animals. I know my neighborhood and everyone coming and going and have my plans on where to escape and mace. :angry:
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 I have done one 50k and attempted a 50 mile (DNF at mile 38... missed a cut-off)... I follow the plans set out in a book called "Relentless Forward Progress".
    I am also going to try either a 100k or 100 mile in October 2016... if this aging body can handle the training stress
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My wife was getting really annoying with her concern for my well being as my miles increased. I know she means well but come on...I'm in the best condition of my life, except perhaps during my high school football years. She was worried when I said I was going to do a 10K. She worried when I said I was going to do a half, now she's worried that I'm doing a full in May. I'm not going to bother telling her my plans for working my way up to ultras (I'm in love with the long runs). I'm not going to be stupid, I'll listen to my body and cut back when I need to, but the human body is capable of far more than most people realize as long as the build up is done correctly.

Then there's the weight loss issue. I'm down 46 pounds since May and am finally on the cusp between "normal" and "overweight" and I still want to lose another 12 pounds, partly because I still have fat I don't need, partly because lower weight = better race times. Those whom I expected support from are telling me I've lost too much already so I don't even mention my plans to continue to drop.

I will say, though, that those telling me I running too much or losing too much only serve to motivate me even more. I plan on running until I'm dead.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    OK... In a HM is it acceptable for me to walk bits here and there? Looking at this years rules, entrants had 6 hours to finish the half... I know I can do that easy, so that gives me confidence :smile: But I would like to know if there are a lot of people who walk a little or not so many? I hope to run most of it, though just want to know that I won't be judged if I feel the need to walk small distances. And.. It says I will get a medal at the end! Woop!
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OK, I think I am officially more of a danger to myself when I'm walking than I ever have been running! Managed to yet again step off a sidewalk funny last Sunday and twisted my ankle.

Oh no! :worried: Hope you're OK?

Thanks @runner_girl83, and @skippygirlsmom, I'm fine! I'm just occasionally klutzy and trip over a raised block in the sidewalk or don't pay attention to where I'm going and partially step off the sidewalk, and bam ankle rolls and down I go! There's still soreness, and it's a good thing I don't play tennis or basketball because running side to side or sudden stops while doing that probably wouldn't work. But a steady, slow, forward run and I'm doing ok! Right now I'm just trying to finish getting caught up on all you guys, while dinner settles, and stay motivated for a run tonight. You guys all rock!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    My running group, the Panera Pounders had their annual Christmas Party last night.

5fm86q8vv192.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    OK... In a HM is it acceptable for me to walk bits here and there? Looking at this years rules, entrants had 6 hours to finish the half... I know I can do that easy, so that gives me confidence :smile: But I would like to know if there are a lot of people who walk a little or not so many? I hope to run most of it, though just want to know that I won't be judged if I feel the need to walk small distances. And.. It says I will get a medal at the end! Woop!

Some people train to do run/walk intervals for a half marathon. Some people go out too fast, and end up being compelled to walk because they misjudged how fit they were. It's no big deal if you walk part of a half. If the cutoff is 6 hours, the organizers are probably expecting that there will be people walking the entire route. How many people will be walking? *shrug* Depends on the race and what kind of people are attracted to it, I guess.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

A lot of people walk through all of the water stops. It's actually kind of annoying and a pain when you try to run past them, especially near the beginning of the race when everyone is bunched together still... But it's a good strategy. Hard to run and drink out of a cup at the same time!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Right now I'm just trying to finish getting caught up on all you guys, while dinner settles, and stay motivated for a run tonight. You guys all rock!!

You rock!! Injuries aren't easy to deal with! I always joke about how I can find a crack in the sidewalk too :smile:
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm just trying to finish getting caught up on all you guys, while dinner settles, and stay motivated for a run tonight. You guys all rock!!

You rock!! Injuries aren't easy to deal with! I always joke about how I can find a crack in the sidewalk too :smile:

Aww shucks thanks! But guess we're all here to motivate each other. Got a run in tonight, and the ankle was fine, but it was one of those runs that was just bleh and mentally painful to get through. But it's done. Tomorrow my mom is headed into town so we've got to do a bit of cleaning before she gets here (she's driving here to North Carolina from Alabama, so we have a while at least) and depending one what we do in the evening, I doubt there'll be any running. Hopefully any Christmas shopping we do on Sunday won't wear me out too much. As long as we avoid the malls, I should be ok.

12/2 4 miles
    12/6 6 miles
    12/10 6 miles
    12/11 3.5 miles
    12/17 5 miles
    12/18 3.5 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Are you sure 6 hours was a HM cutoff? Sounds more like a full. Either way, walking is always acceptable.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I did parkrun in 30C heat this morning. Needless to say I did not do a PB.

I stopped half way through and dashed to the nearby loos for a drink from the tap.

Continued on, but walked/jogged the rest of the way. But I'm counting the full 5K as a run since it was bloody hard!

:)

Dec 2 - 4.3 km
    Dec 5 - 5 km
    Dec 7 - 4.5 km
    Dec 9 - 4.4 km
    Dec 12 - 5 km
    Dec 14 - 5.5 km
    Dec 16 - 4.3 km
    Dec 19 - 5 km

Total: 38 km
    Goal: 70 km
  • runner_girl83
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom this is the info on the HM from this year.. It says the start was 6am and course cut off was 12pm.. Or would that mean that's when they pack everything up? Hmm..

ajcc47o8g6z3.jpg
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Goal – 100 km’s
    01 – 5.76 km
    02 – 2.34 km run
    03 – 4.37 km – stage 2 melanoma
    04 – 3.05 km
    05 – 4.08 km
    06 – 2.07 km
    07 – 2.01 km
    08 – 2.98 km
    09 – 8.96 km – ran 6km
    10 – 2.19 km
    11 – 2.11 km
    12 – 5.13 km run
    13 – 5.22 km
    14 – 9.00 km – ran 5km
    15 – 2.20 km
    16 – 10.04 km – ran 9.3 km
    17 – 2.18 km
    18 – 4.64 km
    19 – 6.45 km – ran 4km

Total – 84.78 km
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/12 2k
    3/12 1k
    5/12 7k
    6/12 7k
    7/12 2k
    14/12 2k
    15/12 5k
    19/12 7k walk (sore throat)

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom this is the info on the HM from this year.. It says the start was 6am and course cut off was 12pm.. Or would that mean that's when they pack everything up? Hmm..

ajcc47o8g6z3.jpg

Sure sounds that way. Seems like a long time to let people run or walk. Also dang 6 am is early lol
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @runner_girl83 Congrats on deciding to do your first HM! And walking is most definitely allowed. I hadn't run 100% of a HM until this April when I ran my 9th or 10th half. No one will judge you (and if they do, shame on them!)

@Stoshew71 It's cool that your party was in normie clothes. That's the only problem with a running group -- if I saw any of these people on the street, we wouldn't recognize each other without pony tails, running shoes, and reflective gear! ;)

@MobyCarp It's early, but welcome to the 200 club! To get my miles in over the summer fall when I was hitting 210-220, I was doing 6 runs a week, but with two rest days, and it worked really well. But yeah, without training... 150 is about my max too. (Though I cannot wait to get back to regular 200 mile months. My legs are itching to start the new training schedule right now!)

@7lenny7 Maybe her concern is just a time concern, but she's masking it as health (though I seem to recall your mileage is low these days because you're post-race and doing lots of family stuff!). But you're definitely doing a great service to your body -- no matter what those naysayers claim about knees ;) Keep at it, and she'll come around I bet. Maybe she'll even catch the bug!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Dec 01      4.3      4.3
    Dec 05      8.1     12.4
    Dec 06      8.1     20.5
    Dec 07      3.5T    24.0
    Dec 09      6.3T    30.3
    Dec 10      3.4T    33.7
    Dec 12      8.2     41.9