Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Talk to a dr. Save some money and pay without insurance if there is no other way. It could be anything from an allergy to fibromyalgia. No one can diagnose it online.

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for a diagnoses online. Like I said, I wanted more information about how our body uses sugar from different sources.

Actually, when I had the problem while I was fat I was convinced it was fibromyalgia.

Why do you need to know what it does from different sources?

I'm interested.

They type of sugar (glucose, fructose, dextrose, lactose, maltose, etc...) will determine where it's being processed (intestines vs liver) and what it being accompanied by (aka fiber, etc) will determine the speed.

Here is an article that will discuss how sugars are digested and metabolized.

It's not letting me use the link
  • arditarose
    Options
    If it was an allergy you think I would have symptoms now matter how much I ate. Even just a small serving? I don't know. I appreciate your help guys but I am not one to go running to a doctor quickly, and some of you are freaking me out lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Talk to a dr. Save some money and pay without insurance if there is no other way. It could be anything from an allergy to fibromyalgia. No one can diagnose it online.

Yeah, I wasn't really looking for a diagnoses online. Like I said, I wanted more information about how our body uses sugar from different sources.

Actually, when I had the problem while I was fat I was convinced it was fibromyalgia.

I'm interested.

They type of sugar (glucose, fructose, dextrose, lactose, maltose, etc...) will determine where it's being processed (intestines vs liver) and what it being accompanied by (aka fiber, etc) will determine the speed.

Start with this. I will try to get the other link working later and will repost if it works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate_digestion
  • arditarose
    Options

I'm interested.

Start with this. I will try to get the other link working later and will repost if it works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate_digestion

Thank you. I'm a little derp when it comes to science. Music major.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If it was an allergy you think I would have symptoms now matter how much I ate. Even just a small serving? I don't know. I appreciate your help guys but I am not one to go running to a doctor quickly, and some of you are freaking me out lol.

For my one allergy its quantity dependant.

I will note, its not the sugar but more likely specific foods.

I would be interested if you went wild on protein, fats and veggies if you would get a similar reaction.
  • arditarose
    Options

For my one allergy its quantity dependant.

I will note, its not the sugar but more likely specific foods.

I would be interested if you went wild on protein, fats and veggies if you would get a similar reaction.

I already go wild on protein. Check my diary lol. Veggies are pretty high volume, maybe not in the last few weeks but usually a whole bag of lettuce for lunch and about 400g of zucchini/squash for dinner. My fats were low in the past and are actually up closer to .35-.4g per lb of body weight now and I feel much better.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Here is a little less sciencey but good link

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/content/carbohydrate
  • arditarose
    edited December 2015
    Options

So what kind of sugar is in breads vs. fruit?
  • psuLemon
    Options

So what kind of sugar is in breads vs. fruit?

It depends on the bread. Glucose for sure but brands add a variety such as hfcs, dextrose, cellose, etc..
  • arditarose
    Options

This is more my speed, thanks.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that weird except classifying the pain as "extreme". Are you talking sore / bruised, or like worst pain of your life / can't go to work, etc.? I think "food hangovers" are pretty common especially if you are accustomed to eating well most of the time. And 6 apples is a lot. Maybe your indulge days need to be a little less of a swing outside your norm?

• arditarose
    Options
    I don't think it's that weird except classifying the pain as "extreme". Are you talking sore / bruised, or like worst pain of your life / can't go to work, etc.? I think "food hangovers" are pretty common especially if you are accustomed to eating well most of the time. And 6 apples is a lot. Maybe your indulge days need to be a little less of a swing outside your norm?

Yeah I don't think I should have said extreme...It's like I'm bruised all over. It hurts to put my bra on, be hugged, pull up my pants over my legs.

The 6 apples was just a weird thing. I was in an orchard and I haven't had an apple in almost a year and we were tasting all the different kinds. I was also cutting and they just tasted so sweet and amazing. My boyfriend and everyone I was with ate that many too. Weird, but it happened.

I'm going to experiment with my high calorie days though for sure.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think so. I guess I'm just confused about carbs/sugar in general. Sugar in bread vs. sugar in fruit.

the sugar content of most breads is quite low, and well below that of fruit. Bread has a lot of starch which breaks down fairly quickly to glucose. The response of blood sugar levels to 50 grams of carbohydrate from bread or fruit is broadly similar (depending on the fruit and its sugar composition). but the weight of fruit involved would be higher (on account of its water content).
  • arditarose
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I think so. I guess I'm just confused about carbs/sugar in general. Sugar in bread vs. sugar in fruit.

the sugar content of most breads is quite low, and well below that of fruit. Bread has a lot of starch which breaks down fairly quickly to glucose. The response of blood sugar levels to 50 grams of carbohydrate from bread or fruit is broadly similar (depending on the fruit and its sugar composition). but the weight of fruit involved would be higher (on account of its water content).

Thank you. That was helpful.

So this happened again last weekend. I took a Benadryl and it didn't help. It's happening again this morning. Yesterday I ate a large hoagie and a cinnamon bun. It's definitely a carb/sugar thing.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    This is probably something you should talk to a doctor about - I've definitely never experienced anything comparable. It's possible it's some form of allergic reaction, although it wouldn't be possible to be allergic to sugar itself you could have an allergy to some other common food product.

I don't have health insurance so that's not happening. When I google the issue it is very rare and the people who have talked to their doctors about it have gotten no help. I'm generally fine but it's annoying that sometimes it will happen when I'm not really over indulging, but staying within my goals and trying to enjoy something yummy.

OK, do a food diary, write down everything you eat, and the symptoms you experience, and at what times. Reactions can be delayed so it is sometimes hard to spot exactly what the culprit is, sometimes it might be something surprising. Then I would suggest doing the foodmap diet. Google it, boring, but will allow you to work out what will not give you a reaction. It is commonly used to work out food intolerances.

When you do have medical insurance though, I recommend visiting your doctor and have an indepth conversation with him/her and get yourself tested. The internet is a fab place, but the majority of people posting are not doctors.
  • psuLemon
    Options

So this happened again last weekend. I took a Benadryl and it didn't help. It's happening again this morning. Yesterday I ate a large hoagie and a cinnamon bun. It's definitely a carb/sugar thing.

It is probably more likely a wheat/gluten over a carb/sugar if you dont get the same response from fruits.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That bruised all over pain almost sounds autoimmune, or like fibromyalgia.

Sounds a bit like shingles too but that would last a few weeks.
  • arditarose
    Options

It is probably more likely a wheat/gluten over a carb/sugar if you dont get the same response from fruits.

But I got it from the apples. The day I went nuts with apples (hehe) I had some pancakes in moderation and a 1 hot dog on a bun. That would typically not be enough carbs to do this to me.
  • arditarose
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That bruised all over pain almost sounds autoimmune, or like fibromyalgia.

Sounds a bit like shingles too but that would last a few weeks.

Yeah when I was fat I thought it was fibromyalgia but I really don't think it is now. When I google the symptoms in relation to food allergies/sensitivity/intolerances I find nothing.

The ONLY time I find this symptom is, sadly, on eating disorder forums or some bodybuilding threads after someone had a refeed day or something.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should list clearly all your symptoms? I see them listed various places in various forms, but things like excruciating pain... where? Tummy ache, headache, bone ache, skin pains??