The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Jan 1: When the run started it was still the 1st..so I'm counting it here. :p
    For the first and last time this month, I have more miles on my ticker than @MorningGhost14 or @kristinegift. 6.59 cold night miles and I purposely tried to keep my pace down for a “slow run”..average was around 12:40/mile.

@GBrady43068 Haha great way to start the year! You're on the leader board ;) You're a brave soul running that late at night on a Friday! I'd be too worried about drivers to go out.
  • ndwhitley
    ndwhitley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Goal:100 miles
    1/1: 3m
    1/2: 3m
  • terrifrost
    terrifrost Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Goal: 100km
    2/1: 12km done!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Did @candacefausset ever make it over from December? Come on Candace! I need some okie company here!

@runnergirl34 I'm not sure where I got the head band, was a find on a thanksgiving internet shopping spree I went on with DH's holiday bonus.. It's by Nike. Reversible. Wild green is my go to colour.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Jan 01      6.5      6.5
    Jan 02      5.1     11.6

exercise.png
  • rickhuyck
    rickhuyck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in for 180Km. Looks more impressive than miles. :)
    exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run

January to date total - 22.46
    Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes: The program called for 7 or 9 paced miles at an 8:30 pace. The group consisted of myself, the other pace leader, and two of my Boston training buddies. We needed 12 miles, 1.5 hours, 15 miles, and 13 miles, respectively. So we ran the first 9 miles given by the program, then set off on our various ways to get the extra. The 13 mile Boston buddy came with me to fill out 9; we pushed the pace a bit after the group split up, with mile splits of 8:00, 8:04, and 7:28. It happens. We got talking, and stopped thinking about keeping it easy. At least the fast mile was downhill.

Garmin checked in at 12.29 miles for the day, compared to my goal 12 miles. The week from Saturday to Sunday came in at 47.8 miles, compared to my target 46. Close enough so I'm not terribly worried. Next week's goal is 51 miles, and the plan adds up to 50.5; but I expect I'll go past 51 from running fractional miles beyond the target mileage for each day.

Upcoming races:
    Jan. 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Orphia My hip pain has lessened significantly with just the last two days of absolute rest. No walking, cross training, nothing. I'm forcing myself to take today and tomorrow off as well, so hopefully when I start my HM training on Monday I can move forward without any more problems. I'm wondering if you completely rest if maybe that will help? (I have a tendency to refuse to stop until the pain of something sidelines me for quite a while so I'm really proud of how early I am making myself rest.) And I believe I'm seeing quick results because of that. However, it must be noted, that I don't even remember when it started hurting because I ignored it. I DO know it was hurting BEFORE I volunteered at the Santa Stampede and that was Dec 12. It's taken that long for me to admit that I needed to do something about it. See? Stubborn! But I'm hoping that stubbornness eventually pays off in a race at some point cuz I just don't know when to quit!!
    @HonuNui How are your hips doing?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5

exercise.png

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I just realized you posted in Decembers thread that you signed up for the HM....way to go!!! Congratulations!!! Do you have a training plan?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @Orphia and @Virkati : hips have *mostly* resolved, and yesterdays 3.7 miles were great. Thanks for asking! Like @Virkati said, I tend to ignore it till it becomes intolerable. The "primary care" doctor in me says to rest, nsaid and stretch." The "internal medicine" doctor says "oh...it could be a stress fracture from an occult malignancy, it could be avascular necrosis from too much running with my overweight body......." I'll listen to the PCP.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    First run today, only 1.5 miles but that's 1.4 miles further than I could do a month ago. 58.5 miles left to go, I don't think I've ever been so determined to succeed at something before :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @Orphia and @Virkati : hips have *mostly* resolved, and yesterdays 3.7 miles were great. Thanks for asking! Like @Virkati said, I tend to ignore it till it becomes intolerable. The "primary care" doctor in me says to rest, nsaid and stretch." The "internal medicine" doctor says "oh...it could be a stress fracture from an occult malignancy, it could be avascular necrosis from too much running with my overweight body......." I'll listen to the PCP.

Lol! Glad I'm not alone!
  • racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    On New Years Day, I ran first run since my longest run of 2015, a Thanksgiving Day 10K.

The morning of New Years Eve, on my way to work, I decided it was time to test myself, to risk a failure, and do more than I've ever done. Last year, it was a solo Century ride (100 mile bike ride), which was much longer than my previous best in the '90s of 60 miles.

This year, I ran my first marathon, solo, in nearly 7 hours. I walked a bit, shuffled a bit, and covered 26.2 miles self-supported. Looking back, I probably should have trained a little bit, quads are a bit wobbly today.

https://strava.com/activities/460868294
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k

Cold cleared up, toe not too bad. Managed a 5k jog without stopping. Really pleased with a good start to the year.

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles

Had 12 on the schedule. Figured 11.6 was close enough since I was a) at my car and b) too cold to bother with the out and back for exact mileage. Great last run at home! Every runner on the bike path waved and said hi or good morning, and then about 2 miles from where I parked my car these guys who had been chasing me for probably a solid 2 miles passed me and invited me to join them for the rest of my run. They got me running a bit faster than I had been (from ~9 min miles down to 8:20 pace). Makes me even more excited to rejoin my running group this week!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Welcome all newcomers. If you like to join, just announce your goal for the month and log all your runs in here. It's that simple. The ticker is optional but makes it more fun to watch the little marker move to the right. Sort of like the cliff hanger in that Price Is Right game. Feel free to post any questions, comments, victories, mini race reports, or any race you signed up for. We all are here to support each other. Thanks again for being a part of this.

Stan
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Run with my group this morning.

jds0h4hc2a10.jpg
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @Orphia

up and down - I really struggle to understand my body

it goes completely then comes back so bad I cannot walk

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 30 this month! I got close to that last month even with a week off for a strained hamstring so I feel confident I can hit 30 in January.