The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »

I don't understand my hip and foot at all, pain comes and goes randomly

no way I'll run 20 miles tomorrow, I hope to be able to do 10km, probably after a good warm up

awful start of the year

it might be borsitis for the hip
    Hey @patrikc333 does the hip and foot pain happen at the same time as one another? If so, they might be linked.. Maybe your hip just needs loosening or re-alignment? Do you have a good physio/sports Dr you can see? I don'tknow about the foot, though pinched nerves in the back can also affect the hip and leg..

Hoping you get to the bottom of it soon!

Yes but it's left foot and right hip, I'll be really messed up if they are linked :)
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Man, I go away for a couple of days for New Year's stuff and come back and I have 5 pages to read through! Japan has lots of New Year's celebrations and traditions. It's a big deal here, so the past couple of days have been fun. The area I live in (Sasebo) is known for making these really interesting spinning tops (http://www.jtco.or.jp/en/japanese-crafts/?act=detail&id=206&p=42&c=29) - once a year on Jan 2nd they do a competition. So glad I went. I bought one so I can learn and practice and maybe I'll enter the competition next year :smile:

@7lenny7 - beautiful picture! I don't have much experience running in the snow, but it does look magical
    @MobyCarp - Congrats on getting 1st in your age group for your resolution run :)
    @ceciliaslater - ouch! I've fallen off several horses - that hurts! Feel better soon
    @runner_girl83 - glad you figured out something that works for you to keep the nausea/dizziness at bay :smiley:
    @HonuNui - every time I have hip pain I go straight to thinking it's avascular necrosis, haha. Then I talk myself down and say, no it's probably something more horse and less zebra :wink: (then I caught up to your post about horses and zebras - that saying is popular within medicine isn't it)
    @MorningGhost14 - whiskey has sugar in it right? So you were just making sure your glycogen stores were properly loaded :blush:
    @Ericjayh - how nice of your wife to get you out and doing things :smile:

I did get out yesterday (02 Jan) before the festivities and got a short slow run in. My right lower leg has been causing me issues so I've been trying to rest it. It still had some issues with the run yesterday but we're moving in the right direction.

exercise.png
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 @Elise4270

thanks if I don't run I'll be really grumpy

I have a form of paresthetica meralgia so no doubt a nerve is trapped there

it's a weird feeling, the area around the hip is painful, looks like I need to "unlock" the hip. but then after a bit my quad start to feel weird, like it's "heavier". now I am resting, under antinflammatory, and area is really painful to touch, my back is hurting, but I can walk. very contradictory feelings

I think my foot is unrelated to this
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 Do you think that maybe taking a few days off, getting lots of rest, and then coming back to your mileage slowly might be helpful? There are so many issues that resolve with just rest and you run daily. Not just run daily, but you put in a tremendous number of miles. Is it possible your body is saying it needs a break?
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 50 miles again in January.
    exercise.png
  • ImNoAngel2
    ImNoAngel2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 thanks for the welcome. stan's a great guy for giving advice on running. I'm not new to running I've run 20 5ks & this year I'm going to run my first 10k & then after that I want to train for my first 1/2 Marathon. I love setting goals & then crushing them :D

@GBrady43068 thank you for the welcome. I look forward to getting to know you & your running progress for the month. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I swear I crack the whip, but he just ignores it :weary: LOL!

1-3.68
    2-5.20 walk

8.88/100+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016 8.88/2016
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @KatEmmaMarie – Great 3 miles!! I haven’t really done much running on a treadmill before, though I like getting out in the neighbourhood :smile:

Thanks! For some reason I've always found running outside intimidating. Now that I've got my route down and have done it for a 3rd day, I've actually found myself really enjoying it a lot more than the treadmill. The only problem is that there are a bunch of hills and I'm worried about only having hills in my training, I know you're supposed to switch things up each day you train. I'm going to run on my treadmill for my long run though, since I know I won't be able to handle doing 10 miles (that's my goal for tomorrow, we will see how I do) with 4 major big hills.

Today I decided to make my run a little longer and did 4.77 miles! My legs were a little less sore and I actually decreased my pace from 11'41'' to 10'56''! I am definitely so excited for this month. I am planning to look for some 5K races coming up soon to do and maybe even find a 10K before the half marathon in May.

exercise.png
  • racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @racingislife97 you just went out and spontaneously ran a marathon? Wow, that's insane! (and impressive ;-) ). I've read so much about gradually increasing milage to avoid injury, I probably would have been terrified to go such a long distance without training for it. Glad you are well - if you didn't run at all since Thanksgiving and then go out and do a marathon, "quads are a bit wobbly today" doesn't sound nearly as bad as I would have expected >:)
    From looking at your Strava profile, you did the same ~21km out-and-back route twice in a row?
    I'm not sure I could have done that (not even with a shorter distance) - running the same stretch of road twice always makes the second time seem much longer to me, since I already know all the landmarks I'm going to see (and how many I still have to pass)...

"run" is an overestimation of what I did. Slow jog and walk (Jeff Galloway method) at a pace I knew (hoped) I could keep up for 6+ hours was the plan. I really wanted a 6 hour event, but the 3:10 time at the half put the kabosh on that dream.

I did the 1/2 route twice, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider stopping after the first. My legs were tired, I'd hoped they would still be fresh at the turn-around. But, only two people other than myself knew what I was attempting, my wife and my son, who would have come and found me if I got stuck away from the car. When I decided to do this event, it was because I wanted to test myself again, to do something I wasn't confident that I could do, and at the turn-around point, I was able to remind myself that I was doing it to prove something to myself, and if I couldn't finish, people who love me would rescue me.
    Because I was going to be self-supported, having my car at the start, midpoint, and finish was important.

At 19.5 miles, I had my moment of doubt, difficulty walking up an easy hill, but then I ran back down it. Mile 22 and 23, circling the airport, it hadn't warmed up like it was supposed to, and the 42F wind was degrading my confidence. Once back in the protection of the trees from the wind, the last 2 miles was a sureal experience. I had been out there for six hours, and was finishing my first marathon length event, and the path was full of people who were just starting out on their New Years walk, run, or ride, and exchanging "Happy New Year!" with each of them made the days efforts even more rewarding than completing the distance.

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi all, 6.3 km today, slow/easy.

I am new to the group, so will tell a little about myself. I live in Yeppoon, a sunny, coastal town in Central Queensland, Australia. I have been running on and off for over 10 years, but really only been consistent for the last 2 years. I have completed 4 half marathons, a few 5km and 10 km races, and am planning to run my first marathon in July this year. Because it will be my first marathon, my main goal will be to finish. I have a secondary time goal of 5 hours. I plan to do all my training slow and easy, because I want to complete all my training injury free, and in the past I have had a few niggling injuries that tended to flare up when my volume and intensity increased.

I am looking forward to watching everyone else's progress over the month/s.

exercise.png
  • healthierhappierpaige95
    Options
    1/1/16-3.0miles
    1/2/16-4.33miles
    Total-7.33

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @racingislife97 you just went out and spontaneously ran a marathon? Wow, that's insane! (and impressive ;-) ). I've read so much about gradually increasing milage to avoid injury, I probably would have been terrified to go such a long distance without training for it. Glad you are well - if you didn't run at all since Thanksgiving and then go out and do a marathon, "quads are a bit wobbly today" doesn't sound nearly as bad as I would have expected >:)
    From looking at your Strava profile, you did the same ~21km out-and-back route twice in a row?
    I'm not sure I could have done that (not even with a shorter distance) - running the same stretch of road twice always makes the second time seem much longer to me, since I already know all the landmarks I'm going to see (and how many I still have to pass)...

"run" is an overestimation of what I did. Slow jog and walk (Jeff Galloway method) at a pace I knew (hoped) I could keep up for 6+ hours was the plan. I really wanted a 6 hour event, but the 3:10 time at the half put the kabosh on that dream.

I did the 1/2 route twice, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider stopping after the first. My legs were tired, I'd hoped they would still be fresh at the turn-around. But, only two people other than myself knew what I was attempting, my wife and my son, who would have come and found me if I got stuck away from the car. When I decided to do this event, it was because I wanted to test myself again, to do something I wasn't confident that I could do, and at the turn-around point, I was able to remind myself that I was doing it to prove something to myself, and if I couldn't finish, people who love me would rescue me.
    Because I was going to be self-supported, having my car at the start, midpoint, and finish was important.

At 19.5 miles, I had my moment of doubt, difficulty walking up an easy hill, but then I ran back down it. Mile 22 and 23, circling the airport, it hadn't warmed up like it was supposed to, and the 42F wind was degrading my confidence. Once back in the protection of the trees from the wind, the last 2 miles was a sureal experience. I had been out there for six hours, and was finishing my first marathon length event, and the path was full of people who were just starting out on their New Years walk, run, or ride, and exchanging "Happy New Year!" with each of them made the days efforts even more rewarding than completing the distance.

You are amazing!!!! Congratulations!!! Wow!
  • MyLifeMyCreation
    MyLifeMyCreation Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    January GOAL: 120 miles

2016 GOAL : 1000 miles

exercise.png
  • mama2boys29
    mama2boys29 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My goal is 50 miles.Brand new to the challenge.
  • mama2boys29
    mama2boys29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ImNoAngel2 wrote: »
    hello everyone I am Jenn & I am Stoshew71's wife.

exercise.png

1/1 - 4.0 miles

Nice to meet you! Welcome!

Also welcome to @Ericjayh and all the others who are new here! This is a great group and no goal is too small or insignificant.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (that's a time record for me on this trail!) That speed was no small accomplishment considering how many people walking 4-abreast I had to dodge. Share the trail, people! (20.75/20 miles for the week--I miscalculated and wasn't under!)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    On New Years Day, I ran first run since my longest run of 2015, a Thanksgiving Day 10K.

The morning of New Years Eve, on my way to work, I decided it was time to test myself, to risk a failure, and do more than I've ever done. Last year, it was a solo Century ride (100 mile bike ride), which was much longer than my previous best in the '90s of 60 miles.

This year, I ran my first marathon, solo, in nearly 7 hours. I walked a bit, shuffled a bit, and covered 26.2 miles self-supported. Looking back, I probably should have trained a little bit, quads are a bit wobbly today.

https://strava.com/activities/460868294
    Congrats on the new milestone! That is really impressive to pull off on your own on a whim like that!! I trained my butt off all summer for my first full. Your experiences at your mile points on your run sound very similar to my full experiences. Hats off to you!!
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! New to the group and just getting back into running. My goal this month is 45 miles.

So far: 6/45
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Little late. December wasn't great with a back injury, but I'm looking forward to starting new! I'm in for 45km.