WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    One more day and I am back to work....eeeekkkkk!!! I did not accomplish as much as I wanted on my days off. But what the heck ... I am pretty sure it will wait. Unless of course DH thinks it should have been done yesterday, he usually comes along at the end of the day and says "I thought you would have done...... today". I am really not sure I should retire.....

Made time for my exercise today, walked my dog and did Leslie Sansone Tone every Zone DVD for 40 minutes....(DH thought I should have been using heavier weights)

Welcome to all the newbie's, come often, sit a spell..... Not too long though - you have to do your exercises!! :)

Later all, I have to finish up my TOPS year end paperwork.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Susie from the PNW and all Newbies: Welcome! There are several of us in Oregon & Washington who stop by here regularly as well as women from around the globe. You have found a good-hearted group of women who are working on getting healthier. :smiley:

NC Carol: Good luck to you regarding your job search. I hope your son gets his educational plans straightened out promptly and they include housing outside your home. :wink:

Sylvia: I agree with Miriam. It has been a rough few months for you and I hope you won't beat yourself up because of it. It sounds like your eating will be back on track in no time. Be patient with the time it takes to get rid of pounds. They didn't reappear all at once & it will take a little while to eliminate them. We'll be cheering for you every day. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I have some of those grapefruit spoons! They don't get any use, though. :embarassed:

Penny: Perhaps you and your DH can do separate things together. DSIL and DBIL go to the gym together, but spend their time using different pieces of equipment. It is one big room so they can be together and do their own thing all at once. I hope you enjoy your son's family. :heart:

Miriam: Thank for posting the losing 100 pound piece from facebook. It is full of insight. :flowerforyou;

Jane: Sending prayers for your MIL and your whole family. :flowerforyou:

Renny: It is great to see your post! :smiley:

I had a lovely riding lesson this morning, but must have used my knee harder than usual because it is now a bit tender. I had my phone in my pocket so DH could call me, but I didn't call him until I was done riding and he was a bit grumpy about it. I've been very spoiled by my teacher. I pay for an hour riding lesson and then have had the opportunity to keep riding for an additional hour or more while she is teaching others. I was very lucky when I found her! I am not planning to buy a horse. I am thrilled to have a morning once a week to ride, and I do not hove the time to care for a horse. I'd need to be able to spend that kind of time several days a week, and I don't have the time available. So I am pleased and grateful for the blessings I have.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    bskts4ver wrote: »
    I also wanted to chime in about the book I've seen mentioned in this discussion "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up"....I'm a VERY organized person with a well organized home (well, there is always room for improvement) and I love reading organization books, so I bought it, but I'm going to be honest and say that I think the author of this book is a little bit nuts....anyone who was organizing her family at five years old has some issues and some of the things in the book were just plain stupid.....No...I am not going to thank my purses for doing their job and NO, I am not going to not ball our socks and NO, I'm not going to take every piece of clothing we have in our home and pile it on the floor......IMO there are better books out there. I gave it away.

I bought this book ten years and I still get it out once in a while to re-read. Peter Walsh has written many other also.

amazon.com/gp/product/B000N2HCP6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B000N2HCP6&link_code=as3&tag=dghebooklist-20&linkId=TAYGW3VTXMPO6HDR

:) I am currently reading Marie Kondo's book and realizing that some of her ideas are exactly what we did when we moved in 2004 and 2011. We are far down the road of decluttering. I am a fairly organized person but want to do even more to simplify our home. I found the book you suggested in our library catalog and have placed a hold on it so sometime next week I'll be reading it. Thanks for the suggestion.

<3 Barbie
  • bskts4ver
    bskts4ver Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I am currently reading Marie Kondo's book and realizing that some of her ideas are exactly what we did when we moved in 2004 and 2011. We are far down the road of decluttering. I am a fairly organized person but want to do even more to simplify our home. I found the book you suggested in our library catalog and have placed a hold on it so sometime next week I'll be reading it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    <3 Barbie

I hope you find it helpful. The author used to be on that organizing show on TLC called "Clean Sweep" and I always loved his approach to helping the homeowner de-clutter, he was firm but kind in helping them realize the problem and come up with a solution.

Kristina

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    hello peeps -

wowzers there are alotta new peeps here. welcome to you all!!! YOU GOT THIS!! did alot today, went to the gym, took kirby to get his hair cut and colored, then took the kids home, took our 7.5' fake xmas tree to Goodwill and said our goodbye to it, then went to the bike shop to pick up his NEW BIKE!! it was pretty cool, cuz after the bike, new fenders, rack pannier, it still was JUST UNDER 1K!! that is awesome!!!!. my summer bike was over 1k for the bike alone! came home and put his bike lights on and it is awesome!.

night peeps
  • Getupngo66
    Getupngo66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! I'm not one for resolutions but am continuing to log what I eat and walking on a more regular basis on the treadmill instead of outside. Looking into functional fitness or bodyweight exercises, would like a dvd to follow but can't find one that isn't crazy hard... need a beginner to moderate one.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    My last Christmas gift all the way from China!! 2 pillow covers for the airstream! Aren't they cute??!!!!
    06y94jp0vsv4.jpeg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of the South Beach Diet Supercharged Workout DVD. Not very intense, but sometimes it's good to do something without a lot of intensity. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Jeanette Jenkins Core Stretch DVD.

tuliplor - welcome back!!!!!

Welcome everyone new and those returning. You've come to a great place for lots of support

Lillian - you know, I don't think I've ever heard of Leslie Sansone Tone Every Zone DVD. I'll have to look for it

Joyce - have a wonderful Christmas. Every year we ask the kids for a Christmas list and we send them one. At least everyone gets what they want/need.

Lisa - best of luck on your job interview

Heather - you're so lucky you don't have to do that prep and then have a tube stuck up your butt. I seem to remember doing something once where I sent a sample of my feces on a card to some place. Just don't recall what it was for, tho.

A little confession -- I opened a pack of the Fit & Active Fruit Strips. Only something happened and this time they had two strips in the package. I was SOOO tempted to just count it as one strip, but I was honest and counted it as two. You gals reminding me "you're only fooling yourself" kept echoing in my ear

Sweets - if you need any "hints" on how to get hubbys to eat healthier without them knowing it, I have lots of hints. I am married to one of the pickest eaters on the face of this earth. Like today, I made him mashed potatoes. If he ever knew that I used sour cream in them instead of the milk/butter, he'd never eat them. So I "forget". You know how it is..... Besides, I need to use up the sour cream and sour cream is good for your gut too

terri - we are members of Sams club, but not so much for the food. You have to buy such large quantities and for the two of us, it just isn't worth it. We'd be eating until it either goes bad or we get sick of it. However, we are members for the gasoline discount. I figure in buying gas there, I've certainly saved the membership fee. I'm constantly amazed at how after having been on a healthy diet, when I have something not good for me, I feel so "yuk" or worse, sick.

DJ - I use my Wii first thing in the morning. Haven't done any exercises on it in a while, gotta get back to that. Been doing different DVD's

Carol in NC - sending good thoughts your way. I totally understand, we love our children but they also need independence, not relying on us for everything. They need to be able to do things for themselves, because one day we won't be here to do it for them. I commend you.

seashellseek - at first you may find it hard to log everything, but in time you will and then you can easily see where you need improvement in your diet. Anyone here will be more than glad to give you suggestions.

trublutopaz - I exercise at two gyms and sometimes at home. When I go to a gym, I need to look better so I usually wear an exercise top along with short/slacks (as the weather might dictate). I have found that I do prefer the workout tops that are a blend of cotton and spandex to the ones that are a blend of nylon and spandex. Unfortunately, most of the tops are nylon/spandex. When I'm working out at home, I just wear a sports bra, underwear, socks and sneakers. No one sees me anyway. Bad part is that I can see all the flab.

pip - what a generous family you have there!

Sylvia - awesome loss. You really should have something on your stomach before you go exercise. Many times I'll just have 1/2 cup of grapes or an apple, but have something on your stomach otherwise your body will burn muscle instead of fat.

Becca - you sure do know how to make me drool

Pam - congrats on reaching your goal. Now for the hard part --- maintenance

Pole Penny - your posts are always so very interesting. I had to look up ptarmigan, never heard of it. Now I have. Thanks

Miriam - what a great story your son wrote. He looks like a totally different person after losing the weight. Which UNC does he attend?

Jane - (((HUGS)))

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well here it is. The DVD and VHS movies we cleared out from the cabinet. If you wish any of these, just message me. I will box it up and mail it to you. Just give me your address, and I will tell you how much the shipping was. I would rather give it to peeps I know than just in the garbage. I know this isn't quite the site for this, but you are family.
    Becca
    Oregon

John Wayne Movies-
    1. Hatari 2 VHS videos no covers though.
    2. The Green Berets VHS
    3. 4 films They Were Expendable/Operation Pacific/Flying Leathernecks/Back To Bataan DVD
    4. Red River VHS
    5. The Cowboys VHS
    6. Hondo VHS
    7. North To Alaska VHS
    8. The Undefeated VHS
    9. The Searchers VHS
    10. El Dorado VHS
    11. The Sons Of Katie Elder VHS
    12. The Comancheros VHS
    13. Big Jake VHS
    14. The Alamo VHS
    15. McLintock! VHS
    16. The Big Trail VHS
    17. Donovans Reef VHS
    18. The War Wagon VHS
    19. Fort Apache VHS
    20. The Shootist VHS

Music-(VHS)
    1. Queen 'We Will Rock You'
    2. Sting (various videos)
    3. Homemade video of Phil Collins and Sting concerts from TV

Series-
    1. Northern Exposure 2nd Season DVD
    2. Homeland 3rd Season DVD
    3. Longmire 2nd Season DVD
    4. SNL Best of 09-10' DVD
    5. Columbo 'Mystery Movie Collection 1991-1993 3 disc set DVD
    6. Macgyer 1st season 6 disc set/ 2nd season 3 disc set DVD
    7. Sledgehammer 1st Season 4 disc set DVD
    8. Farscape 3 VHS videos/ Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars 2 disc set DVD

Three Stooges-
    1. Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb DVD
    2. 5 VHS videos various shows

Movies-( all DVD's)
    1. Battlestar Galactica Razor
    2. Planet of the Apes (original)
    3. Blue Crush
    4. Julie & Julia
    5. Something's Gotta Give
    6. The Pink Panther (original)
    7. Spaced Invaders
    8. Spike (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV serives)
    9. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    10. 4 classic War movies (various titles)
    11. Full Metal Jacket
    12. Gods and Generals
    13. The Rebel
    14. Unbroken
    15. American Sniper

Movies- (VHS)
    1. A Knights Tale
    2. Beverly Hills Cop
    3. A Christmas Story (with Patrick Stewart)
    4. Disney's Blackbeard's Ghost

Kids-
    1. The Pink Panther Collection (27 cartoons) DVD
    2. A Charlie Browns' Christmas VHS
    3. Star Wars The Clone Wars (animated) 20 Chapters DVD

Hugs!
  • moots4me
    moots4me Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Happy new year! I consider myself a newbie, although I joined MFP a couple years ago. I guess I haven't been as ready as I thought I was to make a change, so I am re-committing in 2016 :) Hope to regain fitness and lose 50-60 pounds.

So many cool women posting here! I'm in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, but want to give a shout out to our Iowa pals--my DH family is from NE Iowa (Elgin) and I love visiting the great midwest.

Freezing here today--37 degrees--but we had a great 4+ mile hike in Mc-Dunn forest.

Cheers, All-
    Tracy
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening, Ladies,

CarolNC, my heart goes out to you. I love my DD dearly and miss her something terrible since she has moved across country but the last thing I want or we need, is for her to live with us. I’m sure this 2 weeks with your son has seemed like an eternity. Sending prayers your way.

Robin, welcome to this supportive group of ladies. Come often and post when you like.

Seashell, welcome to you also. This thing works where diets don’t, so come often for all the support you need. Please sign your post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Pip, I love the picture of the “Livin the Dream” with the light on. Too cool.

Sylvia, join the club in the terrible eating and not exercising for the past month. Sorry you gained that much but now you will lose it. Luckily I only gained about 2 pounds but haven’t lost much in months. At least I kept logging all that food that I was eating. Make room at the wagon! I started acting right again yesterday and was down some this morning. We can do this and you can put those 16’s away again.

Pam, welcome and a big CONGRATS on reaching your goal. I hope one day all of us will be there and supporting each other in maintenance. Come often and make yourself at home.

PolePenny, I like your plan with DH to try to exercise together. Hope it works out. Have fun with your circus. Lol Where do they live?

Jane, so sorry you aren’t feeling better (((((Hugs)))))) and sending more prayers for MIL.

Natasha, welcome back. Sorry to hear about your injury but glad you are on the mend.

Allie, good for you on telling Tom how the cow age the cabbage! Hopefully he will consider getting some help. Who knows, if he moved out for a while he might realize just how much he does love you? ((((Hugs))))

IrishTerri, good for you on losing the extra weight. Wow, you are so close to your goal, you have to be excited! Go girl.
    Judy, welcome and we will gladly bear with you as you are doing fine. Come on in and pull up a chair; the more the merrier.

Adele, welcome to you also. I lost a beloved dog not long ago and it sure leaves a hole in the heart. Come here often for great support and information.

Pip, really cute pillow covers. I know you will enjoy!

MicheleNC, good for you on counting both fruit strips. Glad our voices were ringing in your head.

Tracy, welcome. We are getting quite a group from Oregon. That temp doesn’t sound too bad for up there this time of year.
    m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I started a pot of soup this afternoon to begin eating tomorrow. It is 15 bean with some ham and just onions and celery. I like it better the second day and thereafter so it should be good to go tomorrow. The temperature is finally down from the 70’s we’ve been having so I’m ready for soup. I also like sleeping when it’s a little cooler and I’m off to bed, so nite nite.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy New Year. rose.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Becca I have the same cold you have. In general feel pretty rotten. My nose looks like Rudolph, just a little too late. My eyes are as runny as my nose, chest hurts, head full, ugh.

But, after driving through, rain, sleet, fog and snow (literally) we are here in AZ and I'm going to get outside in the sun and enjoy every minute of it. 69° and beautiful, gorgeous, lovely sunshine.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

I had company over the holiday and just can’t seem to keep up!

Tracie in Green Bay welcome back

Katie bug – I smiled at the comment about never storing anything under the bed, as my bed came with drawers under it… I do use them 

Heather – we have poo sticks too – the first time I got them I could not believe that the instructions were correct. But was too embarrassed to leave them for the post man to pick up, I took them to the post office and dropped them off…

Jane sending good thoughts to you and your MIL

Pip – cute covers

Barbie – thank you for re-starting us for another month – it means a lot to me to know that even if I am away you have kept this group together.

So smiled reading the clutter/declutter stories… I am pretty neat, but as I run my business out of my home, clients are in and out and that seems to force me to kept it up. I have found a helpful way to move things on is to find a charity second hand shop supporting a cause you really like – and then thinking about an item as which would make me feel better, having this or supporting my cause… works for me.

I had my mom here for our Christmas which is always on New Years Eve – we had a nice time and I was really spoiled with gifts. This is new for me and is a delight, but a bit odd. For years and years I would get one or two small items, usually from a thrift shop – and then would be told of all the high end things she did for my siblings. But for the last 2-3 years I have gotten showered with gifts, - she is being much more even handed – and it feels so much better; I am not a parent, but am sure with multiple kids you bond with some more than others, and I do know I have been the dependable one, but felt that she was “buying love” with the others and knew I would just accept what was given. Being treated evenly feels better.

Because Christmas is not over until after New Years, I had not even begun to think about taking down the decorations, but will need to get to that this week.

I totally ate too much snack-y stuff so dinner tonight was good and tomorrow is back to logging.

I did replace my fitbit, someone mentioned getting a off brand – my first one I got second hand from a MFPer (I lost it) and the this one I got from ebay, used. It was a great deal and no trouble to get registered with fitbit.

Kim from N. California
  • washbellymare
    washbellymare Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nice photo, hi my name is Mare. Im from Ottawa CA, im 52 and back on track with mfp and my fitbit. I' m enjoying reading the postsfrom all of you, it' s helping me feel less alone.
  • Marlynx2
    Marlynx2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this community. I just turned 50 in November and really need to get in shape for my health. I need to lose about 45-50 lbs. I suffer from back pain and muscle aches (arthritis perhaps?) and have just recently started having irregular heart beats. For health reasons I need to take this journey seriously. I'm very busy working full time (10 hour shifts) and have college aged children at home. I find it extremely hard to get motivated after working all day....and feel lazy on my days off. This need to end.
    I know I will feel so much better, mentally and physically, if I can shed some pounds and get active! It's the start of a New Year and time for action!

Goals: control intake of sweets, track my eating on my fitness pal so I stay within my daily range, drink my water and start getting more active. I have a dog and hope to do daily walks. I would also like to go to my local gym a couple days a week.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    bskts4ver wrote: »
    I also wanted to chime in about the book I've seen mentioned in this discussion "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up"....I'm a VERY organized person with a well organized home (well, there is always room for improvement) and I love reading organization books, so I bought it, but I'm going to be honest and say that I think the author of this book is a little bit nuts....anyone who was organizing her family at five years old has some issues and some of the things in the book were just plain stupid.....No...I am not going to thank my purses for doing their job and NO, I am not going to not ball our socks and NO, I'm not going to take every piece of clothing we have in our home and pile it on the floor......IMO there are better books out there. I gave it away.

I bought this book ten years and I still get it out once in a while to re-read. Peter Walsh has written many other also.

amazon.com/gp/product/B000N2HCP6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B000N2HCP6&link_code=as3&tag=dghebooklist-20&linkId=TAYGW3VTXMPO6HDR

I believe I read somewhere that It's part of Japanese culture that our things have feelings.it explains some of Marie Kondo's strange (at least to us) suggestions. I think she would embrace your decision to give her book away if it was not bringing you joy. LOL!

I have to admit I do find it interesting that you did not like her suggestion to pile all your clothes on the floor at once and go through them, yet that is exactly what Peter Walsh would do with everything in the house on his show Clean Sweep, and his book is the one you suggest to read instead. I'm not being critical, I just think it's funny. I loved his show, but I haven't actually read his book. Doesn't he also have one about the connection between disorganization and weight? Something like "Lose the Clutter, Lose the Weight"? I haven't read it yet, but I really want to.

I love all books about organization and usually find things I can use and things that just aren't me in all of them.

Just for kicks and giggles, here is a picture of some of my Kon-Maried drawers and closet. And no, I didn't put everything in the middle of the floor at one time either. I did it by category, one drawer at a time. Notice my folded (not balled) socks. I have to admit they don't get as stretched out.

fc1mtpa3439f.jpeg

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :|
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Drkatiebug - I love how organized you are!