WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Beth - that's a great idea to get your exercise area looking beautiful. One of the most important things about creating good habits for yourself is to make it EASY to do good things for yourself and harder to do bad things. My exercise machines in the spare bedroom are the best things we ever did for ourselves. I do my exercises every morning in my pyjamas. :D I would never get myself out to a gym or outside for a walk in the winter. For me it has to be easy and convenient. We listen to Radio 4 BBC while we are exercising, but you should have whatever makes it nicer for you - music, tv, etc. Nice smells could be a motivator. Remember you are worth it. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK , who has just tidied her sock drawer, but only managed to throw away one pair of socks. :sad: I don't have enough drawers. Basically, socks, tights, leggings, knickers, bras, and pyjamas are all in one drawer. I will look at the tights and leggings section tomorrow.

Heather UK
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hee-hee! Heather, your tale of throwing away just one pair of socks reminds me of a story my grandparents told. They had a big old country cottage (still in the family!) that was chock-full of stuff. They decided to go through it all. And one summer when the forecast was for a full week of sunshine, they did just that. They set up three categories: put away, give away, throw away. They examined and discussed every individual item and assigned it to one of those categories. When they were finished they had only one thing in the throw away pile - a leather belt my father had made when he was a boy scout.

And on second thought, they decided they couldn't throw that away either.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • EmmC21
    EmmC21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, newbie here although I've been a member for a while and have lost weight before gaining it all back (more than once!). I'm in Glasgow, Scotland. My January goal is to start logging again every day instead of 'forgetting'. I joined a gym in November to start swimming again after a shoulder op last summer. Happy new year everyone!
    EmmC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    tj1u228yqpgk.jpeg

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    afternoon my friends~
    got home around 2:30 this afternoon and of course it has been a world wind ever since.. we hadn't even gotten the car all the way unpacked before Tom was out vacuuming it :open_mouth:
    load of laundry in the wash, showered and in my jammies after getting less than 4 1/2 hrs sleep will be hitting the hay early..
    I cant say I have started the new year off right , had junk in the car ,didnt eat well at restaurants..
    But darn it I am turning over a new leaf..
    I have to wrap my head around things to actually set some goals...
    but home safe and sound and all in one piece.... every year it gets harder and harder to drive down to Florida and back, yes I am lucky to do so, and we have our 2 fur babies with us.. but OY!

• willowcb
    willowcb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello and hoping to get the encouragement and support I need here.
    Goals: My goals almost mirror grammiekb.
    I'm 58 and so want to finally feel good about how I look.
    I've quit smoking and work two jobs. If I can do that, surely I can figure out a way to get this darn weight off.
    Walk. Count steps
    Eat less. No binge eating.
    I need this.
    Thank you for being here.
    Willow
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Is the name of the book - The Life Changing of Tidying Up? Who is the author? That's what I need to read. I always make up my bed; and empty dishes in sink to dishwasher; and, it makes house 'look' clean. I have 6 filing cabinet drawer to go through and chunk what is not important. All Christmas decorations have been down since yester, but not put out in the shed. Got to get a leave bag to hold my big wreath so it won't get messed up. It's too pretty to not treat it with care. I've decided to divide my ornaments to my sons, giving them at Thanksgiving next year; but not my manger scenes ... they can get them when both of us are gone.
    Lenora

The book is:

the life-changing magic of tidying up, the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing by marie K
    kondo
    (and yes all the words are uncapatilized even though it's a title and my finger so much wanted to go to the shift key while typing it)

The web site for Flylady is:

http://www.flylady.net/

I have followed her system off and on thru the years. She is a great resource for having a cleaning-up routine.

Cheri NE Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    <3B) Two walks in the sun - yeah!!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy new year.woke up sick,MIL is in hospital,not a good way to start the new year.

hugs
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jane: Sorry your year is starting off with family health issues. I hope your DMIL gets better quickly. Hugs. :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Morning peeps -

Hope everyone had a safe New Years..

Spent the morning tearing apart the tree and changing the bedsheets, doing laundry, etc... We r both not at full strength but we r getting better. Last night was so sweet. We were in bed and Kirby surprised me by waking me up with some bubbly! this year can only get better. We take Floyd in for a bath and haircut on the 4th, Yogi has a 2 year bday coming up on the 8th and on that same day we take bullwinkle in for surgery. Going to get that lump removed. Tomorrow, Kirby has a hair appointment, go to the gym for the first time this year and we pick up his bike!! His fenders are in so its ready to pick up and on the 10th Kirby starts back to work. He needs to make an appointment with a neurologist, still has major issues. Our physical therapy appointments are still continuing. Needless to say we have a busy January. We still have to tackle taking down the outside lights, but we can do it together. Progress continues....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    12,000 steps
    148 minutes of dog walking
    90 minutes riding the exercise bike

:) drkatie, when my mother died in 1991 and I had the job of sorting and discarding, I found that she had all her income tax returns dating back to 1935 when she got her first job. I have all my income tax returns dating back to 1968 when I had my first job. At my accountants recommendation, I discarded all the supporting materials except the return and real estate closing papers except for the last seven years. When I went through the returns to discard papers, I felt like I was throwing away my personal works of art. Gathering materials and preparing the returns had been a labor of love for me each year.

:) I got a lot of inspiration for organizations from reading Gretchen Rubin's "The Happiness Project". She talks about outer order contributing to inner calm and also suggested "suffering for 15 minutes a day" as a way to get a difficult project completed. I can do anything for 15 minutes that would make me crazy if I had to work at it for an hour or half a day.

smiley-sleep012.gif I found that the best way for me to find more time to accomplish important tasks was to go to bed a little earlier and get up a little earlier

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif
  • divaonadiet
    divaonadiet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too would like to join this group.

Barb from Northern Kentucky. 54.
    My weight has yo-yoed most my life. Married with 3 sons - two in the marines, one stationed in Okinawa and one in North Carolina. My third boy is in college for special ed.
    Although I am not on any meds, I do not feel great about the way I look and I am sure I would feel better both physically and mentally if I lost 30lbs or so.

I sit at a desk all day and sit on the couch at night.

My goal for January is to get 10,000 steps per weekday and 15,000steps each weekend day.
    I would also like to be more thoughtful about what I am eating. I am great at starting out but not so great at following though. Hopefully being part of a group can help with that.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thank you for continuing to be the lynch pin for this friendly community to come together month after month. So proud to have been with you all for 3 years now. How time flies.

DJ: Love what you said: If we have the right attitudes and work at it, this can be the best year of our lives. Today is a day for a fresh start and we can leave any negativity behind us. I don’t mind holding on to the positive and I count my blessings that I have lots of that to hold on to. I really needed to inhale this today.

I caught the ‘clean up bug’ from reading all your posts. Yesterday I put in 2 hours in my office cleaning out my credenza and one of my desk filing drawers. Today I tackled the upper shelf of my walk in closet and purged a bunch of purses, gloves and scarves. Feels great.

There is one event my DH has wanted to attend for years: an AC/DC concert. Today, I was perusing a ticket brokerage and saw that they will actually be in Denver in February. Unbelievable. I had sticker shock when I saw the prices of tickets, but since he NEVER asks for anything, I felt this was one thing we could splurge on and enjoy together as a late anniversary celebration and reward for him going through the melanoma surgeries with grace.

Don’t think I ever told you that my brother in San Francisco works at FitBit on a contract basis. He expects to be there at least another 6 months and gets employee discounts on their products. He called today to ask if I’d like one for my birthday in 2 weeks. YES! I think that will add another dimension to my fitness regime. Can’t wait.
    Another thing I’ll be doing for my health this month is taking a 2 day course in Reiki, a form of energy healing. I have had headaches and body aches relieved by Reiki. I hope to learn enough to help others. I understand that the second day of the training we will actually practice sending healing to friends and families remotely. So if anyone wants to be my practice partner, please message me.

Happy New Year, my friends. Stay well. We can do this. B)

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

January Goals:

> Benchmark my average daily step count, and increase by 20%
    > Eat mindfully
    > Start a gratitude journal
    > Reach out to 3 friends
    > Get mammogram, physical, haircut and eye exam scheduled
    ** My word for 2016: Optimism
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    divaonadiet - After losing 33.5 pounds in 6.5 months; I feel wonderful; not down to my goal, but I can move so much better than before @ just under 200lbs. I had to get my DH to buckle or tie my shoes; had no energy, was sick a lot, and tired of they way I looked. At my DYS's wedding; the pictures do not lie. That will be my "Before" (cropped out) and when I get down to my 'goal weight' I will post them both (Before and After). Only 3 more points down and I will be within 'normal range' on my BMI. I'm thrilled with my progress. I haven't done much in the way of exercise for the past week; have had a UTI. Today I stayed in my gown and did little other than to cook a Traditional New Year's Day supper.

I ordered a Fitbit knock-off and got exactly what I would have expected for that price - TROUBLE! Sending it back for a refund. Could not get it to work properly. Still waiting to find a bargain on the 'real' thing. No more knock-offs for me. Still waiting for my 4 necklaces that I have bought for my 4 granddaughters for next Christmas. Between the 'groupon.com' site and things I buy from PCH; I won't have to do much shopping at the last minute. I've 'sworn' for YEARS that I would buy along during he year. This year I came close; but, still went out and spent another $225 for some small gifts; which were more appreciated that anything. Fleece-lined leggings for the oldest 2 DGDs and DDnL#2; gloves for DOGD (it gets cold in North Georgia), small bags of caramel candy, games (which surprised me). Even more surprised that my 14-yr-old DMGD did not know what a jigsaw puzzle was. WT?-? She had the most 'puzzled' look on her face when she opened it and had to ask what it was; I told her and she asked 'is it supposed to look like this'? - showing me the top of the box. Said 'yes' and she said 'cool' ... that she'd get DOGD to help her put it together. DOGD was 'thrilled' to get the Scrabble game; now she and her DBF will have something 'different' to do when they are tired of studying and/or watching TV - something the both of them can play with together. She said that he got the jumble-something-or-the-other; it is where you build up a tower and then try to take it back down (or something to that effect) without it falling down. I 'almost' got that for them; but, I had gotten some little books from PCH that had words made up of some of the harder letters to find. Got DSGD a puzzle (more suited to her age) - I know that DYS and her "Mama" will help her put it together. I got a hardback cover book of their wedding pictures and a toaster oven to replace the one that burnt out. Other side gave me $50 gift certificate and a red infinity scarf and two hand towels that are crotched at one end with a button and button hole so they can be hung on the fridge or oven door handles. Get those every year (grandmother and mother of DDnL#1 makes them and I love them). Took my gift certificate and it paid for a mani/pedi w/tip! Got a new perm the same time. I could wash it tonight; but, I will probably wait until tomorrow AM.

Cracker went out and played for a while this afternoon ... so she is a 'tired puppy' and 'sleeping away'. DH said we need to keep her out of her 'crate' later in the night so that she won't wake him up at 5:30am and again at 6:30am wanting to 'go out'. I don't hear her; but, I do sleep with a C-Pap and once I got to sleep I sleep until someone wakes me or I wake up 'on my own'.

Now on antibiotics for my UTI; and, starting it has done wonders for me physically and made my life a lot better! o:)

drkatiebug - I've always wanted to 'empty' my house (like picking it up by one corner and letting everything fall out) and clean it from top to bottom; and, then have a pile for keeping, giving away, and throwing away - like they used to do on one of the DIY programs. Same for my studio; but, we have had so much rain lately - that won't occur until it is too hot to do it.

Y'all - please pray for my DYS and DDnL#2 and DSGD - they live in Vidalia, LA and the 'Mississippi River' is rising. :# They'll be OK so long as none of the levees break. It is even 'high' at the 'lake house'; but, it is on a slough on a lake in Clayton, LA; and, only the rainfall affects its level. She told DYS that if the 'rivah' got to a certain level he will need to call on the guys [he went to help move things out of the "Lodge and other buildings] up so the water (hopefully) won't damage them and start moving their valuables out and away from the 'rivah'. By the time the 'rivah' gets out of its banks, the driveway at the plantation DYS used to work for is flooded where DYS went to help move things. Most of the buildings are between the small levee and the big one. They are 'thinking' that the owner's new house they are building to replace the one that burnt down (in 20 minutes) to the ground will still be safe; albeit, only accessible by boat. The big levee would have to be breached for it to affect his home. DYS and DDnL# are off the 'rivah' a couple of traffic lights from the 'bridge' (across from Natchez, MS) - it is high in Mississippi on that side of the 'rivah'; but, a little lower on the Louisiana side; but, still protected by 2 levees. Watching water levels daily, sometimes more so. IF the big levee breaches ... the whole town will be under water. Sort of makes me 'feel better' that they are out at the 'lake house' more due to hunting season and his job. I'd be so upset if they were home and the levees were breached. Just time and all that; and, this doesn't even count for the snow up north of them and there has been a lot of it, three rivers empty into the Mississippi. I need to check on a HS friend of mine who lives up in North Mississippi. He and his wife might be far enough off the water not to have to worry about it.

Well, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all y'all!
    Lenora a/k/a "Grits"
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    keep the food diary.
    Get my 30 minutes cardio each day.
    Eat just 2 meals per day.
    Consider an easy stroll each day (3 miles ish), not necessarily in target heart rate range.
    Include beans and green drink daily.

Practice eye movements
    Get my messed up knee fixed
    Take good care of husband when he gets his knee replaced.
    Just for today - DO MY PUSHUPS by 8 pm
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Beth, so proud of you for doing the math. Is your declutter group the one that Taylor (can't remember last name) has? I get that one. She has some really good ideas and is very down to earth.

The things I like about Flylady are: you can do anything for 15 minutes, even housework done incorrectly blesses your family, and "just jump in where you are. You are not behind." The things I don't like are that a bunch of her testimonials are really just trying to push her products. I will admit that her calendar is the absolute best and is hanging on my wall right now.

Lenora, I'm sorry your Fitbit knockoff didn't work for you. I loved Peter Walsh's Clean Sweep show. Is that the one you watched.