WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Is the name of the book - The Life Changing of Tidying Up? Who is the author? That's what I need to read. I always make up my bed; and empty dishes in sink to dishwasher; and, it makes house 'look' clean. I have 6 filing cabinet drawer to go through and chunk what is not important. All Christmas decorations have been down since yester, but not put out in the shed. Got to get a leave bag to hold my big wreath so it won't get messed up. It's too pretty to not treat it with care. I've decided to divide my ornaments to my sons, giving them at Thanksgiving next year; but not my manger scenes ... they can get them when both of us are gone.

Ate bacon for breakfast and now I'm nauseous - there has to be a connection. DH made brownies the other night and brought them into den - the smell of them also made me nauseous. I only ate about 2 - 2" squares the day he made them; after that I don't eat them. Like them warm.

Cracker tore up a 'new' stuffed animal last night; so I pulled the stuffing out of the head and sewed it back up; she liked it a lot because just about everything made it squeak. Next time (3rd) she tears it up, it'll go in the trash. Need to find her one that doesn't have stuffing in it. DOGD told me about one that you put am empty plastic bottle into it (and it is difficult for them to get the bottle out; but, it makes noise.

I'm reading a book; but, thinking it is only one that would interest a legal secretary - I'm wondering how it will end; so far it has been letters and memos between lawyers, staff, and client. Typical divorce action (so far). Typical dysfunctional family (rich).

DH is reading a much more interesting book; saying it is hard to put down. We both read a Sidney Shelton book (title escapes me) in 2 days.

House looking extremely messy at this point; and, too nauseous to start on it so far.

Sitting here wondering if DOGD is ever going to come down to help me to pay off borrowing $$$ to use for Christmas present for her step-mom. If not, then maybe the next time she comes home. I was gone most all day on Mon, Tues, and Wed - and too late for her to do anything. I think I will get her to start de-cluttering the bathroom. Too difficult for me to do so; have the climb into the tub to clean that end of the room.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
    Lenora
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! Welcome to all the newbies and to those returning for 2016. Thanks Barbie for keeping this thread going month after month.

I weighed in this morning and I am up 4 pounds from my lowest but still down 20 pounds from when I started this journey last May. So, I will call that a success for 2015. I've been off track for awhile now, so my goals for January are simple.

1. Eat more sensibly and try to stay within my recommended calorie allowance.
    2. Log every bite.
    3. Get back on track with my morning exercise routine - at least 3 times per week.

I'm heading out to my mom's for the weekend in a couple of hours. So, if I don't get a chance to read and post this weekend, I hope you all have a fabulous start to the new year.

Linda/IA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    December goals
    1. Increase weights on Stronglifts 5x5 check
    2. Weight lift at least 3 x a week check
    3. Kettle bell swing nonweight lifting days 20 minutes check
    4. 8 hour diet window check
    5. 8 power foods check
    6. 8 cups of water check
    7. Follow night time snacking prevention methods check
    8. Lose 5 lbs this I didn't accomplish but maintained.
    9. Do the five day fast check

I did pretty good with my goals I need to work on loosing a little more. I am excellent at exercising!

January goals
    1. Increase weights on Stronglifts 5x5
    2. Weight lift at least 3 x a week
    3. Kettle bell swing nonweight lifting days at least 20 minutes and follow the last two weeks of program and start new 5 week program and increase weight of Kettlebell from 25 lbs to 30 lbs
    4. 8 hour diet window
    5. 8 power foods
    6. 8 cups of water
    7. Follow night time snacking prevention methods
    8. Lose 5 lbs
    9. Do the five day fast
    10. Do the 5:2 fasting method.
    11. Train puppy 3xday
    12. Incorporate EM2WL into my program I increased my calories to 1750 a day

Word - prioritize, I am important!

Quote- I -Know- I -Can

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie!

Best wishes for the New Year to all!

I read the book about tidying up that is being talked about. The thing that struck me about the "do it all at once" is that she is talking about Japanese houses which are TINY and apartments. One usually cannot accumulate the amount of stuff those of us with large houses can. There is no way I could do it all at once. Also, she obviously never gets to the point that her brain shuts down, unable to make anymore decisions. I found that when I set two things down with an "I don't know whether to keep this or not" that it is time to give my brain a break. She also is not someone that is creative and has hobbies that involve stuff. She has a very rigid mindset. Black and white. Where we all know that there are shades of gray in almost every decision. I got some ideas out of the book, but discounted parts of it as just not pertaining to me and my house.

Heather, about your dust buster. Last year I got two for Christmas (I asked for one from a couple of people evidently). I love them. It is so much easier to quickly go around the room and get the edges than to lug out the big vacuum. That is where the pet hair accumulates in my house since I have bare wood floors due to the pets. The big vacuum makes my shoulder hurt. One of mine has a rotating brush attachment and a plain brush attachment and it is much easier to use that to reach up to clean fan vents in the bathroom than to lug the big one in! Kids love to use them too! They think it is a game. I also find if I sweep it is easier to grab the dust buster to suck up the pile than to try to get it all up with a dustpan.

It should be easier for me to get some purging accomplished this year. With both my girls finally on meds for their ADHD/ ADD (inattentive type) they are both doing a great job of picking up after themselves, so I will be able to spend more time dealing with MY clutter and not theirs. For the past 2 1/2 years, most of my housework each day was pet care and picking up after the girls! I can even have them put their clothes away and they end up in the right drawers now, not all shoved into one! It will be such a huge help to me to have them finally on board with keeping the house nice. Emily, the 11 year old, is still thrilled with her new bed which was a reward for keeping her room tidy.

In spite of my foot infection problems, I have been able to maintain my weight loss of the year. I am at 230 and plan to be under 200 by the end of this new year.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)grammiekb, you sound a lot like I was when I started on MFP at age 62...5'3" and 183 pounds....thanks to MFP and the help of the women on this thread, I weigh 126 and have kept the weight off since 2010..I had goals like you do for this month....I hope you'll keep coming back

:)Cheri, we have moved several times and each move has allowed us to discard a lot of STUFF....now we are on a campaign to get rid of even more STUFF

:) Viv, welcome back, I've missed you

:)Katla, Jake wants to see Star Wars but he's going to wait until after the holiday vacation and hope that the crowds have thinned down.

:)Margaret, I've found that starting the new month looking at last month's goals helps me get back on track like you are doing

:)msymsed, I agree so much with your plan to not let anyone or anything control your eating. I have learned to say "no thank you" to any food that was not on my plan for the day.

:)Texasgal1, I hope you keep coming back...going on this journey with friends has helped me so much

:)Lenora, the name of the book I'm reading is "the life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo.....I got it at my local library where there was a long waiting list.

smiley-happy026.gifWe have some plans today to do a little bit of clutter cleaning and watch a Minions movie.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif
  • IamProudofMe
    IamProudofMe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone! I am new to this group, but not new to MFP. I joined in 2012 and lost 36 pounds logging, exercising and supporting MFP friends. I went through some personal challenges including moving 500 miles away from my family and place I grew up all by myself. I am a stress eater and I also reward myself with food and wine. I (no surprise here) gained 25 pounds back. And, as we know hindsight is 20/20, I can look back and see what I did right to lose the weight, and what I did wrong to gain it back. I will be 56 in April and I am single. My weight loss goal doesn't really have a hard-fast number, I just would like to feel better, have more energy and fit into the clothes I bout when I had lost weight with the help of MFP 3 years ago.

So for 2016 I will remember the lessons learned from the past but look forward to the future. My January goals are:
    • 10,000 steps per day minimum
    • Write down every bite in accurate proportions
    • Weights 3 times per week
    • NO Alcohol (I love wine......too much! )
    • Learn new GF recipes. I went Gluten Free 9 months ago and it has helped immensely with joint pain and lower abdominal bloating.

Barbara :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Michele - I think you asked if swinging Kettlebell on rest days was really a rest day. According to the book Kettlebells Simple But Sinister you should swing every day unless you need a rest or life happens. It is proven to increase weight lifting lift amounts so as a supplement to my Stronglifts it should be beneficial to help me increase my lifting amounts. At this point I only do it on rest days but plan on using it as an after cardio burn.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone...

Reading through the posts - the goal this year seems to be "tidying up". So here are a couple things I have learned...but do not necessarily do (LOL):

- My mom said - after every meal - do the dishes, wipe the table, countertops and stove. Sweep the floor. And wash your floor twice a week. My mom didn't work out of the home....
    - A friend said - there are always "Jobs" you hate to do... so set the timer for an hour and do the job for an hour and then go do something else. What I learned from that is that I can sometimes set the timer for another hour and keep working at that icky job!!

That said..... I have a list for today and I have 3 things to do and one of them is to go outside and take in the sun and walk my dog.... So bundling up (it is -12 Celsius, -22 with wind chill) and heading out.

Later everyone

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

HAPPY, HAPPY NEW YEAR, Ladies,

I’m just so happy to start a new year with all of you. If we have the right attitudes and work at it, this can be the best year of our lives. Today is a day for a fresh start and we can leave any negativity behind us. I don’t mind holding on to the positive and I count my blessings that I have lots of that to hold on to.

Joyce, so glad you and Charlie were able to go out and have a nice meal last night. Sometimes we just have to put forth that extra effort.

Viv, welcome back. It sounds like you are working on some worthwhile goals. Our resident organizer is DrKatie and I have picked up so many great tips from her. I’ll look forward to hearing some of the other tips you get from your group. One day at a time and often 15 minutes at a time works for me.

Penny, your beautiful picture certainly doesn’t look like night even though it’s not a bright sunny day. Glad you get to enjoy it.

DeeDee, good to see you in the room. I know you newly retired ladies are too busy to visit often but we miss you when you are away. I hope 2016 brings you in a little more often. (((Hugs))) It’s really, really, really wet here, too.

Lynn, welcome. Please tell us a little more about yourself to help us get to know you. This is a great place for support and information so come often and join right in.

Lisa, your night sounds like a normal new year’s eve at a hotel except for “someone learning to tap dance upstairs”. smiley-laughing001.gif Sorry but that did make me laugh.

Heather, for the most part I do stick to 1200 calories a day. I occasionally add back part of my exercise but until I get to maintenance, that is the plan. This past month, unfortunately I have done little exercise and way too much over eating, calorie wise.

Barbie, I haven’t read any of the books on order or de-cluttering but I am a true believer in “outer order contributes to inner calm”. I hate getting up in the morning to a messy kitchen or getting home from a trip to a messy house. It is definitely worth the effort to me, to take care of it before I leave or go off to bed.

Grammiekb, welcome. It sounds like you have set good goals for a start. This is a great place for support and ideas on staying on track. Please sign your post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. We are happy to have you.

Cheri, I love moving only to get rid of things. It’s just a great time to weed out both then packing to move and unpacking on arrival. Where are you headed? Good luck.

Katla, that is wonderful that your DS sold his house. That can get to be a real burden.

Kimses, I can’t believe people slept through all those alarms. Good grief!

Msymsed, good for taking control of your life. Glad to have you join us. Is there a name you want to be called?

Miriam, that’s great that the girls are on meds and doing well. That will have to make your life easier.

Barbara, welcome. Sorry you gained back the weight but at least you know this works and what you have to do. Come often and join right in.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I finished taking all the decorations off the tree and DH has to put it away. I’ve put up all the snowmen that were scattered around the house and about all that is left is the bows and greenery on the two chandeliers. Then once everything is packed away in the plastic tubs we have to get them in the attic. (that “we” is hubby on the bottom handing the tubs up to me.) I have one or two that have old things in them that we don’t use any more. I want those to go in the trash rather than back in the attic. Oh yes and we still have lights on the front of the house but they are no longer plugged into the timer. We will take those down once it stops raining. I have finally got my new WII all set up and programed so I have to start my exercises on the Fit program. I sure hope this will get me back on track.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy New Year. rose.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • bskts4ver
    bskts4ver Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Newbie here but definitely need to find a supportive group of women to help with my goals.

I normally don't set New Years resolutions but this year because I'm struggling with a few things, I decided to make a few of them. I retired 15 months ago and am still trying to find my new normal after 30 years at my job.
    • Track my food everyday
    • Limit my time on social media
    • Start journaling again
    • Up my exercise effort to 5 days a week
    • Drink my water
    • Lose 30 pounds in 2016

Thanks for letting me join in!

Kristina in Iowa
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There were several things in the Marie Kondo book that I liked, and also several that I discarded. Someone mentioned hobbies and the stuff they require. I think people who are attracted to total minimalism tend to not be hobby type people. Just like weight loss and personal finance, I think if is important to find a method that works with you and your lifestyle. Some people need strict black and white boundaries, others can figure it out for themselves. I personally like a little wiggle room, flexibility and grace.

I am the complete opposite of Heather. I will leave dirty dishes in the sink to organize my closets and drawers. Although my personal decluttering style falls somewhere in between "put it all in the middle of the floor" and "fifteen minutes at a time", there were times when I think my style is more extreme than Kondo's and other times when I don't come close. For example, I would never, ever store anything under my bed. That would cause me extreme anxiety. On the other hand, I have every tax return we have ever filed in 40 years of marriage, neatly arranged in a box in order. There's no way I'm shredding that. Maybe, one day, if I have to downsize to a small apartment, but not as long as I have an attic.

My January goals:

Log every bite
    10,000 steps or more per day, 60+ active minutes
    Gym group classes at least 3 times per week
    Weigh less on Jan 31 than on Jan 1
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! Well I was in bed before 11 last evening. So today is a New day and New year and New start. Hope this finds you all well. I am working today 8-2 and then 4 of the DGC are coming to spend the night.
    DGD just called and said DGGS is not coming tonight. So will have 2 girls and 1 boys. DH will have to spend time with him.

Barbie--Thank you for keeping us going. I love this group and would be lost without each of you.

Linda--We have a daugther and family that live in Sioux City. DH grew up around Cedar Rapids, Iowa and we have a son and family that live there. We are planning to visit the last part of Feb and come home thru Sioux City and see the kids there. It is a small world.

Janetr--Hope you feel better soon, Not fair to have to start the New Year not feeling well.

Wizzy--Welcome back. Just do what you can each day. That is my goal for this year and to breath and pray.

Penny @pole--The picture looks so relaxing. Thanks for sharing.

DeeDee--Glad to see you post, missed you.

Heather--I am also one that keeps the public side of the house clean and my office and drawers a mess. I am going to work on that and once I get them cleaned work on keeping them that way. That is my big downfall.

Lenora--Hope you feel better soon. Not fun to start the new year not feeling well.

Mary--Prioritize, I like that and may use it Thanks, I am worth it!!

Well I am thinking on my goals for this month and year. I am going to take it One Day at a Time. I was upset with myself when I compared my weight from Jan 2015 and now. I am up almost 11 pounds. It is my own fault and I have to get a handle on it. So my one main goal is to weigh less Jan 2017 then I do today. Well ladies remember we are not alone and together we can do this. Thanks for all your support I could not do this without you.
    Blessings, VICKI GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • Calypte
    Calypte Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!

I've been on MFP for a couple of years on and off, but have only in the last month realized that I need to focus if I am going to lose weight and get back into shape. I will be turning 55 in January and have a stressful and demanding job that in the last five years I have allowed to take over my life - but no more! Very excited to find your group and looking forward to learning from all of you. (PS LOVED The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up; on my second copy after losing one to a friend.)

My January goals are:
    1. No drinking (alcohol)
    2. Log all calories daily
    3. Yoga daily (have been doing 15 minutes daily for a few weeks)
    4. Elliptical or a walk daily
    5. Plan ahead for meals and exercise

Thanks for this list/support group, Barbie and everyone!
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Newbie here in search of a support group to help me get back on track and help reach my goal weight. This group sounds wonderful! It seems as if most of you are retired already.....unfortunately I have not reached that goal yet!

In 2010 I started out at 203 and with the help of a weight loss support group setting, I made it almost to my goal of 155, making it to 159, over a 2 year period. I've gained back up to 175 and that's as far up as I want to go!

For this year I hope to lose 20 pounds. I'm having lots of trouble with my feet and legs which means I have a hard time exercising on a regular basis.

Looking forward to hearing from you all and maybe being an encourager to someone else!

Thanks for letting me be a part of your marvelous group!

Donna in Wild, wonderful West Virginia
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Two posts from me in one day - this will probably stop once I'm back at work :)

Penny - Yes I've found Flylady. It's early days for me but I am writing things down and trying to get some sort of routine. I am cleaning my sink before bed on an evening and having a quick tidy of things. I'm swishing and swiping the bathroom every morning after getting showered and dressed. Baby steps.

Heather - glad to see you are still here. Luckily we've not been affected by the flooding but houses just a few minutes walk away have been flooded out completely. It was so bad I wouldn't have been able to get to work! All the ways I walk to work were flooded. Thankfully the Foss Flood barriers were fixed and the water subsided but left a lot of mess for people to clear up. Some houses won't be habitable for many months by all accounts.

Dee Dee - I've heard a lot of people say that once they retire from work they are busier than ever.

Msymsed - My height and weight are almost the same as yours, you are taller by half an inch :) similar goals too I'm also keeping a track of my food and decluttering the house. Seems a few of us here have found Flylady or something similar.

I'm in a challenge to get 12,000 steps and so far I'm at 11133 so I'd better get moving, can't believe it is 7pm already need to get the steps in and the kitchen clean before 9pm when Sherlock is on. I've been looking forward to this for a while. I love Benedict Cumberbatch, and I saw him on Graham Norton too, he's quite a funny chap isn't he. Have you seen him do the Otter poses?

This isn't getting me any steps so I'll say goodnight.

Viv
    York UK where it is raining again :(
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Vicki, I agree with your goal of just weighing less in one year than you do now! That is my goal, too. Of course I have a number in mind, but the main thing is to take care of myself enough that a few pounds come off.
    Have not been exercising much in December and need to get back into that. I got discouraged when I started again and the weight just stabilized instead of going down.
    Talking about cleaning---I have been making a lot of progress on getting rid of things but not on projects. Yesterday I started edging a quilt I had made. This quilt was started years ago and I got frustrated with the edging and gave up. It has been moved from closet heap to closet heap. I sewed some yesterday and will do so today. When I took a break and smoothed it out I saw where I had embroidered the date on it. It was...you can laugh at me...1993!
    If I can finish this even if the craftsmanship is not perfect I can probably finish my other orphaned projects too, wouldn't you think? If I choose not to I will not feel guilty because it is my choice, but I will not hang on to them. Time to get rid of all kinds of baggage!
    Welcome to the new people!
    Betty
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Barbie ... Thanks for the new thread!

Welcome to the new ladies!

Viv ... I remember you! Glad to see you back.

Drkatiebugs ... Just did the math in your interesting 2016 fact ... That's all the math I need for 2016! :wink:

Now don't go strapping on the boot again ... I got the message ... The scale showed me up 17.5 pounds (I thought it was 15) from January which is actually up 27.5 from my lowest. So that obviously has to stop.

My year long goal is to get to onederland ... Or lose 30.5 pounds. I was within two pounds of this before.

For January I'm going to set the bar high and go for an 8 pound loss goal. A lot of weight came on this month ... Dang chocolates!

Logging, weighing, water ... Back to what works.

Also want to make my exercise area more appealing. It's in the basement in one of the darker corners ... So thinking lights, carpet, maybe some paint. Maybe I'll actually use it then.

I follow along with a decluttering group online that sets 15 minute missions each day. I did this last year and made some great strides in getting my home organized. Will follow along again when I can.

Happy New Year!

Beth near Buffalo ... Where we are getting snow!

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kristina, Linda is in Des Moines, and I am in a small town a half hour from Iowa City. Vicki has family in Cedar Rapids. What part of the state are you in? Oh, and Meg is in Omaha, which is almost Iowa.

Alarms. I saw a video showing that kids sleep through alarms. It was promoting alarms that you can record your voice calling the kids by name, since that will penetrate their sleep. It was a bit eye opening.
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies (((((group hugs)))))))
    Now have a full-blown cold, achy chest, scratchy throat. Going to store to get loaded up on medicine. Not fun.

January Goals

-log every day on here.
    -EAT WHAT I LOG, and log what I eat. No changing my mind, and settling for something else!!!!
    -move every day.
    -Go to sleep when husband does, end the day in my mates arms...until I push the man away...aaack I need to breathe!!
    -try to meditate every day for 5-10 mins.
    -read more
    -limit my time on here to once a day. It's hard because I care about you all, but I don't want to replace one addiction (my past addiction of Facebook) with another.
    -reaffirm the phrase "The key to happiness isn't losing weight, Happiness is the key to losing weight."

Hugs all
    Becca
    Oregon