Replies

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/01 - 10 miles
    02/01 - 10.4 km
    03/01 - 10.4 km

tot 36/500 km

better today, but still not great, considering also it's an awful day with heavy rain and wind, I preferred to do my usual 10k and then rest. Annoyed I'm behind with my goal, but better recover well and have (hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!) a standard running week ahead than pushing today and get worse or not being able to push on Tuesday

foot much better, the hip is still a problem, but today it was fine at the beginning of the run, painful towards the end, completely the contrary of yesterday
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/travel day

No run today; traveling from Iowa back to New Jersey! My layover is super short so maybe I'll get a sprint in trying to make my flight ;)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Longest non-stop run so far. Yay! Also upped my speed a little bit as I was thinking I'd only run 5 tonight, soooo while I'm still a turtle to you many hares in this group, it's a slightly faster turtle. Was 15 min/mile on my long runs, tonight just under 14 min/mi. Running outside the last few, shorter runs has helped my speed some I guess. There I typically hit just around 12 min/mi (a bit over sometimes, a bit under some) for 3.5 to 4 miles.
    Congrats on the new distance! I cranked out many miles last year at similar paces. Keep at it and you will be running distances you never thought you would even attempt. Better yet, you will feel like you could probably just keep on going forever after a good while of training like that. Not that I tried going on forever, mind you. :lol:

I did a local 4.1 mile route which I have been running ever since I could run 4 miles. I am glad I chose that route because my phone rebooted just after the 3.5 mile mark. Luckily Strava recovers your run after the phone boots back up, but it did reconcile the gap with a straight line. That straight line made Strava say the run was 3.9 miles, but since I know the actual distance quite well I am able to calculate the proper times from start to finish. :sweat_smile:

I made my 5k distance at target pace today. Exceeded it a little even. The last 3.1 miles on the route were run in 31:37 which is a 10:12 pace, a smidge faster than my goal pace of 10:20! :sunglasses: Now to begin stretching that pace to 10k...

Hope everyone has a great transition into the normal grind in the new year!

1/1 - 2.25 miles
    1/3 - 4.1 miles

6.35 of 50 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was totally inspired by @Stoshew71 's post and blogs: http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/01/reverse-taper-base-building.html and http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/01/a-new-year-of-training.html also the videos he posted! Thanks @Stoshew71

I wanted so bad to work on base building. Am not sure Stan will support my choice today because of the rush (too long a run for too long a time and without proper preparation?) :smile: but I decided to run far at a slow pace. I did and it's a PR for longest run: 10.2 miles at 11:45 pace.

1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 -- read on this run up ^

exercise.png
  • jenmurphy3
    jenmurphy3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to run again so my goal for this month is 15 miles. My ultimate goal is to be able to train for a half marathon in November. I just hope my Achilles' tendon works in my favor.
  • jenmurphy3
    jenmurphy3 Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

exercise.png

• KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question: when you run, after your run if you do a however many minute cool down walk, do you include that distance in what you're tracking? Or do you only track the run portion? Thanks!
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm going to sign up for Perth's World Record Kilt run in late June, the options are a 1 mile race that will be used for the world record, a 5 mile which is what I'm looking at, a half marathon which is slightly tempting and a full marathon the next day which is a BQ.

I'm so excited about this race!

I do have a question about training. At what point can I run everyday? I'm 44, and on week 4 of zombies 5k and run every other day. I can run for about 5-8 min(OMG I RAN FOR 8 MIN!). I was thinking about just adding in c25k starting at the beginning of training on one off day.

1/01 - 4.7 walk/run
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run

exercise.png

• Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello again! I've been slacking on the posting part but not on the running! I'm on week 4/20 of my half marathon training program! Hope everyone is doing well! I don't have a specific mile amount for January just to stick with my plan! Here is a photo of my favorite running partner and my new running shirt! t1s8tk7713ab.jpeg
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    I was totally inspired by @Stoshew71 's post and blogs: http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/01/reverse-taper-base-building.html and http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/01/a-new-year-of-training.html also the videos he posted! Thanks @Stoshew71

I wanted so bad to work on base building. Am not sure Stan will support my choice today because of the rush (too long a run for too long a time and without proper preparation?) :smile: but I decided to run far at a slow pace. I did and it's a PR for longest run: 10.2 miles at 11:45 pace.

Congratulations. If you hurt as a result, then rest. If not then you have a new standard to go by. Your body should tell you if you made a mistake or not. Also, make sure that your longest runs aren't ill-balanced with comparison to your overall weekly mileage. Any single run that represents more than 35% of your weekly mileage requires you to increase the miles in your other runs or add more weekly runs.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question: when you run, after your run if you do a however many minute cool down walk, do you include that distance in what you're tracking? Or do you only track the run portion? Thanks!

It's completely up to you what you track. I typically only have a half block walk after a run and keep my GPS tracking until my heart rate settles down, which is fairly quickly for me.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 3.5 miles of pain - ITB started to kill me at mile 2 had to stop and cry (poor Skip she got so upset) I walked a bit and ran a bit for the last 1.5 miles - BTW give me a few days and I'll stop whining I promise
    1/2 - knee rest
    1/3 - 2.3 miles

5.8 of 120 miles

exercise.png

Lots of posts to catch up on. I took Macy on the run today, she's my 4 year old Labradoodle. I decided to stop being stupid and not run until I can't walk or I'm crying. ITB was sore from 1/2 mile but never got worse so I decided to do a small loop around my neighborhood and head home before it did.
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options

It's up to you. I personally don't count my warm-up or cool down walking. But that is just me. I have kept it open to allow many folks to use their own discretion as to how they log their miles (or km's) and open to running, walking, and tread-milling. I knew of other challenges here on mfp in the past that restricted how miles were logged in challenges (like no walking or treadmill miles). What I discovered is that those restrictions discouraged those that were first starting out and a cliché of more "elite" runners developed. I want as many people to feel inspired to run because I feel that it is better than the alternative. Running already get's a bad rap so I don't need to add to it.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    When I run I do a warmup of about .3 mile walk and usually about .2 mile walk at the end. I include that in my distance, mainly because I am using an app and I like to have it on the whole time. The only thing I don't like about it is that I don't really know exactly how fast I am running a certain distance, for the first or last mile. But, I prefer to do it like this.

@rune1990 - Stan and others are more the experts on this, but I do know you need to be careful about adding too many miles too quickly. I believe the rule is only adding 10% a week. This is to avoid injuries. But, when you are starting out that is pretty hard to do because you aren't running that much - so . When I did C25K I couldn't always do it every other day and would just do two days in a row if I had to.

@skippygirlsmom - good idea. I'm sure you will be getting your big miles in soon. Lucky Macy!
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Second run complete, 1.6 miles today. That's 3.1 miles out of 60, a bit of a slow start but I'll get there!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article for the new runners here, and a good read for the experienced ones too.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/12/out-there/out-there-11-truths-new-runners-must-accept_142678
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kateparry84 great improvement in a month
    @ddmom0811 thanks!
    @amandajs232 glad the toe is better
    @kristinegift I can see you sprinting through the airport LOL BTW it's been awesome watching your runniing, you've always been a good runner but your improvements in time and distance have been amazing
    @imnoangel2 welcome Jenn! Glad to see you here. Great goals for the year.
    @aldousmom I love runs with the kids!
    @ericjayh welcome Eric - nice to meet you, I feel like I already know you
    @Elise4270 4270 "he's not Kenyan" best comment on the internet today!
    @michable my 15 year daughter (Skip)'s dream is to work in journalism or public relations and live in Australia, she'll be so jealous when I tell her about you
    @racingislife97 holy wow
    @crimsonwhite super 6.5 miles ready for the big game?
    @stoshew71 I've seen that video before, it's the best!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    rune1990 wrote: »
    I do have a question about training. At what point can I run everyday? I'm 44, and on week 4 of zombies 5k and run every other day. I can run for about 5-8 min(OMG I RAN FOR 8 MIN!). I was thinking about just adding in c25k starting at the beginning of training on one off day.

This is best answered by understanding the basis of training and understanding the basic principles to training.

1) You don't get better by exercise stress. You get better by the recovery or rest after that stress.
    This means you have to understand the balance between work and rest. You work out hard enough to induce a training stress. This training stress actually causes temporarily damage that requires healing. During the recovery phase, your body heals in a way that the body actually get's stronger. If you do more training than resting, you don't give your body time to heal and get stronger. Instead, you slowly make the damage worse and worse until you suffer from a major over use injury.

2) When you repeat the same training stress, it no longer becomes a stress.
    Eventually your body adapts to the training you are doing and the body becomes stronger to the point that running the same way no longer causes this damage. Therefore rest is no longer needed. But no more improvements will be made either. If you want to keep improving, then you have to make the training stress stronger. You can run a little more intense, you can run a little further at the same intensity, or you can run more often with fewer rest period. How to make the workout harder is a little more advanced question to answer.

To put it in more prospective, let me describe a little more of my story. When I first started this running stuff in October 2013 (mind you that I was an youth athlete growing up and kept kind of active in my adult years) I started by running on the treadmill for 3 miles which took me about a half hour. I did this for 3 or 4 days a week with some other cross training (non running) on most of my off days. I did this for a while. I then increased my miles from 3 miles to 3.5, then 4 miles and eventually 4.5 miles on the treadmill 3x a week and a longer 6 mile run Saturday mornings out on the greenway. My legs were very sore and I knew that I needed my rest days. Eventually, I knew I needed to run more outside during the week and I couldn't add the miles on treadmill alone (mental thing). So I stopped going on the treadmill and ran more outside and was able to keep increasing my mileage in the 4 days that I did run.

I soon went from ~30 miles a week to about 40 and wanted to go even further. Eventually I added in what are called recovery run days. So not every day was a hard run for me. Some days I was running 8-9 min miles and eventually built up to where I would run 8-10 miles during the week day and 15+ miles on my Saturdays. On my recovery days however, I was running much slower 12 min miles and limited it to 6 miles with no hills.

So I hope you can tell from my explanation that I first saturated my training time when I did run through a process where I slowly made my training stress harder and harder. This allowed me to also make use of my rest time. When my training got more advanced, I was making use of different types of training stresses and recovery methods that I was able to take advantage of once my body adapted to a certain level.

My suggestion to you is to continue plan where you are training every other day. If the days you are running are no longer creating a stress, then you have to consider harder training for those days. But it takes a lot of consistent dedicated training over a long time. Patience. I know you may be bored on your rest days, but those rest days for you are still important. I would suggest looking into cross training on your off days at this point.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @KatEmmaMarie - It depends what I wish to track on the run. If I'm just interested in total distance and/or calories then I will have the session record warm ups and cool downs becsuse it's easier to just record one thing. If I want to know the time, effort, etc of the run part separately then I record that seperately from warm up/cool down. If I'm doing intervals and want to track eac section sepatately then I use an app that records intervals.