The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Aww thanks! I've been inspired and spurred on by all the people in this group, you all are amazing. Hoping I can do a bit of inspiring too! And I didn't sprint but speed walked through the airport. Made it to my gate with 10 mins to spare! Phew!
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @KatEmmaMarie - It depends what I wish to track on the run. If I'm just interested in total distance and/or calories then I will have the session record warm ups and cool downs becsuse it's easier to just record one thing. If I want to know the time, effort, etc of the run part separately then I record that seperately from warm up/cool down. If I'm doing intervals and want to track eac section sepatately then I use an app that records intervals.

Thanks!
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    This is best answered by understanding the basis of training and understanding the basic principles to training...
    ...Patience. I know you may be bored on your rest days, but those rest days for you are still important. I would suggest looking into cross training on your off days at this point.

Thank you. I knew this, but needed to hear it it seems :) . I will persevere at the pace dictated by the app, and cross train on my off days and enjoy every minute! In the spring I will take my training outside.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Jan 01      6.5      6.5
    Jan 02      5.1     11.6
    Jan 03      5.6     17.2

exercise.png
  • NezyRumRunner
    NezyRumRunner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I'm new to the group &
    Im in for 50 miles (getting back to it after several weeks of not running...ugghhh!)
    Upcoming races:
    1-Feb- Gasparilla Mich Ultra Challenge
    3-March-Excalibur
    2-May- Keys100 Relay

Jan 2- 8 miles
    Jan 3- 1.5 miles (introducing my dog to running-lol!)

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    5 km 35 minutes, Easy Real Estate Run with a very small group of 4. I thought yesterday at -14C was cold, today -18C. Forehead and Eyelids were cool at the start but once we got moving it was okay. 60 minutes post run sitting in Tim's solving the worlds problems.
    01/01 –0.0 Km – 140 km – 0.0 Km
    01/01 –6.0 Km – 134 km – 6.0 Km
    01/02 –7.0 Km – 127 km – 13.0 Km
    01/03 –5.0 Km – 122 km – 18.0 Km
    exercise.png

When I got home I hit the button on my Garage Door remote and nothing happened. Went into the garage and the chain had jumped off the Motor Drive gear. Repaired it and it jumped off again. Turns out the door is frozen to the Garage Floor and the joints between sections were frozen together. Turned the heat on and will try again in the afternoon. Only in Canada.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »
    Hi all, 6.3 km today, slow/easy.

I am new to the group, so will tell a little about myself. I live in Yeppoon, a sunny, coastal town in Central Queensland, Australia.

exercise.png

Yay! Another Aussie!! :smiley: welcome @michable ! I'm in Brissie :smile: This is a great group here!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00
    1/2.....................16.00.................16.00
    1/3.......................5.00.................21.00

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

When I got home I hit the button on my Garage Door remote and nothing happened. Went into the garage and the chain had jumped off the Motor Drive gear. Repaired it and it jumped off again. Turns out the door is frozen to the Garage Floor and the joints between sections were frozen together. Turned the heat on and will try again in the afternoon. Only in Canada.

@juliet3455 that's cold!!!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    I have a quick question: when you run, after your run if you do a however many minute cool down walk, do you include that distance in what you're tracking? Or do you only track the run portion? Thanks!

I usually just include it, unless I'mfollowing an inbuilt training plan .. Some of them don'tcater for warm ups or cool downs.. So on those days iI'll just run or walk for a slow 2K and then start the program

• runner_girl83
    Options
    rune1990 wrote: »
    I do have a question about training. At what point can I run everyday? I'm 44, and on week 4 of zombies 5k and run every other day. I can run for about 5-8 min(OMG I RAN FOR 8 MIN!). I was thinking about just adding in c25k starting at the beginning of training on one off day.

I find running everyday still a no-go for me.. I can'twait for the day where I can run more than 3 days a week but I know that 3 days is better than nothing.. And it's best for me to build up.

At the moment i do a 40-45 min (5km'ish) run on Tues and Thurs and a long run on Saturdays.

It doesn't work for everyone but for now it works well around kidsand family commitments :smile:
  • deepthi87d
    deepthi87d Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am new in this group and I am in for 60 miles in Jan 2016..
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    If I'm doing intervals and want to track eac section sepatately then I use an app that records intervals.

Brings me to this question... Anyone know of a good interval training app that will tell me when to run fast/slow??
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing intervals and want to track eac section sepatately then I use an app that records intervals.

Brings me to this question... Anyone know of a good interval training app that will tell me when to run fast/slow??

The C25K app is good for timing intervals, but you're stuck with what is already programmed in there. I also use HIIT Interval Training app. It's simple and lets me adjust the number and length of intervals, rounds, rest and add warm up and cool down.
  • S_Marc
    S_Marc Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I use Runkeeper - you can use their workouts or you can create your own putting in whatever intervals you want for either time or distance
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do have a question about training. At what point can I run everyday? I'm 44, and on week 4 of zombies 5k and run every other day. I can run for about 5-8 min(OMG I RAN FOR 8 MIN!). I was thinking about just adding in c25k starting at the beginning of training on one off day.

I find running everyday still a no-go for me.. I can'twait for the day where I can run more than 3 days a week but I know that 3 days is better than nothing.. And it's best for me to build up.

At the moment i do a 40-45 min (5km'ish) run on Tues and Thurs and a long run on Saturdays.

It doesn't work for everyone but for now it works well around kidsand family commitments :smile:

I can't do every day either. I run 5xs a week, with Mondays and Fridays being rest days (usually weight training). Fridays are the important rest days for me since Saturdays are usually my long run days (well, trying to get them long anyway..lol)..

Every time I have tried running everyday I develop @patrikc333 Syndrome....
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ugh.. I'm sickish still. Hard run. @ericjayh has talked me in to trying to slow down to sustain longer runs.. Same thing Stan told me a year ago.. Guess I'll try it.. HR 209 today, I'm scheduled for a stress test in the AM... So tired of suckin' wind.

1/1...3.68
    2/1...5.20
    3/1...5.70

14.58/100+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016 14.58 /2016
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    kittary wrote: »
    I am dreaming of the day I finish and say " I think I have more left in me for another....."

@kittary - Be careful what you dream about. The day may come when you're in a training program, run your prescribed easy 3, and think, "Is that all I get to do??"
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    This is best answered by understanding the basis of training and understanding the basic principles to training...
    ...Patience. I know you may be bored on your rest days, but those rest days for you are still important. I would suggest looking into cross training on your off days at this point.

Thank you. I knew this, but needed to hear it it seems :) . I will persevere at the pace dictated by the app, and cross train on my off days and enjoy every minute! In the spring I will take my training outside.

@rune1990 - Good call. I started running in August 2011, I'm training for Boston, and I *still* don't run every day. Even running 6 days a week scares me, and I'll be happy to back off to 5 days a week when I can get my weekly target mileage in on a 5 day schedule. Rest days are very, very important.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish

January to date total - 27.62
    Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - Today's plan called for 5 miles. Thought I could beat the Lake Effect snow, but saw it had started just as I was ready to get out the door. Swapped out the Kinvaras for Peregrines, and went off. Kept it close to easy for 5 miles, and at 3.5 miles thought, "I only get another mile and a half?"

When the Garmin ticked over 5 miles, I kicked it up for a fast finish to my driveway. Still had a pretty good kick left at that point. Walked a bit to cool down, came inside to stretch, and reflected that today felt a lot like a rest day. Maybe I can handle a 6 day schedule if one or two of the running days are this easy.

Upcoming races:
    Jan. 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 - I use Endomondo for intervals. You can create your own custom interval programs with intervals defined in time or distance (or even a mix). It does a beeping noise when you should change to the next interval.