29-Jan: <>
    30-Jan: <>
    31-Jan: <Life Day>

Upcoming Races:
    16-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 5K or 10K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA

It's my sort-of off-day, so it's a longer run, even after a couple of other longer runs. But the rest of this week will be shorter.... The HM is less than 2 weeks away - haven't actually ponied up the $$$, but that's not a factor in motivation. Didn't feel the need for extra hydration or nutrition during the 10-miler Saturday, so I'm thinking I'm gonna be okay without any supplements on the HM itself.

exercise.png
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi all.. ~120 goal for the month.

1/1 - 2.15
    1/3 - 2.33
    1/4 - 3.68

Upcoming Races:
    4/23 - 50k, VA
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Instead of being able to get out and do my first REAL day of HM training, I'll be sitting in the doc's office begging for drugs. I believe I have strep and some bronchitis to go with it. Yay. I took four days off to give my hip muscle a chance to settle down, which it has for the most part, so now I get to wait another day or two until just being upright isn't enough to almost kill me. On the bright side, I'm super excited to get started on the training. Which just proves that my daughter is correct...she's accusing me of being addicted to endorphins. Like that's a bad thing!

Upcoming Races for 2016
    02/20 Snowman Stampede 10 mile race - tentative
    03/12 - Lucky Laces 10k - tentative
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - Registered - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile - Registered
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half) - Registered
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half) - Registered
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half - Registered

exercise.png
  • SamColl72
    SamColl72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After posting in the wrong thread, I'll try again on the 2016 one! Thanks for the tag/heads up I was on the wrong one

Im new to MFP community so new to the monthly running challenges.

My aim for Jan is 80 miles, have my second half at the end of Feb & need to step up my training

I ran 3miles yesterday, so 77 to go
  • refinnej70
    refinnej70 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm In! Walk or Run at least 1 mile outside per day in January

exercise.png

• moremonica
    moremonica Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know this seems silly, but my goal is 10 miles for January.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    moremonica wrote: »

exercise.png

no such thing as a silly goal @moremonica
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1/01 - 4.7 walk/run treadmill
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run treadmill
    1/04 - rest

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

On the contrary, @moremonica, that's an awesome goal!! Welcome to the thread and please feel free to ask any questions you might have about running. Every single one of us started with the first step, the first mile, etc. so we've all been there.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options

exercise.png

@moremonica - I agree with @skippygirlsmom ...no such thing as a silly goal. You are much better off having a small and realistic goal, achieving it, and building upon it than something larger than your current ability. Not much worse than having the heart to get it done, but the body isn't in the same place, overdoing it, and getting sidelined from an unnecessary injury. And a LOT of injuries are preventable. So go at YOUR pace and don't compare yourself to anyone else.

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »

exercise.png

@moremonica - I agree with @skippygirlsmom ...no such thing as a silly goal. You are much better off having a small and realistic goal, achieving it, and building upon it than something larger than your current ability. Not much worse than having the heart to get it done, but the body isn't in the same place, overdoing it, and getting sidelined from an unnecessary injury. And a LOT of injuries are preventable. So go at YOUR pace and don't compare yourself to anyone else.

Amen and amen.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1/1 5 @ 10:36 on the treadmill
    1/2 4.75 @ 10:42 on the park trail (that's a time record for me on this trail!) That speed was no small accomplishment considering how many people walking 4-abreast I had to dodge. Share the trail, people! (20.75/20 miles for the week)

1/3 5.25 @ 11:14 (5.0 @ 10:51, .25 walking) on the trails near my house. It was a beautiful, blustery day!
    1/4 10 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. While running from Indominus Rex. Or Chris Pratt. Or something. My longest long-run ever. :) I wanted to try it out on the treadmill first, in case my hip or ankles started bothering me and I needed to stop, but everything was awesome! (Oh...that's a different movie with Chris Pratt...) I am a little sore. I took a nice hot shower and now I'm going grocery shopping just so I'll keep moving. I have a feeling that if I sit too long I'll really regret it.
    (15.25/30 miles for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    January 18: MLK 8K at Burke Lake Park, VA
    February 21: Disney Princess HM, Orlando, FL

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/travel day
    1/4: 10 miles

Didn't take wind into consideration when I packed my clothes before heading to class. Oops. Was a bit chilly but didn't let that stop me! Nice to be back on my familiar training routes!

No ticker. Too lazy to reconfigure on my iPad. 27.8 miles/210 goal

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)

• KLAutry64
    KLAutry64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    New to the group! Got the ticker working and finally posted on the right thread! lol Looking forward to encouraging and encouragement. :smiley:
  • KLAutry64
    KLAutry64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    im new to all of this, but i want to do it. I have bad knees so i may be walking alot, but i will do something. Thanks for the add

WushuDiamond, "All truly great thoughts are concieved while walking" ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I can't find who originally posted on the hydration/fueling question earlier but I did want to share my experiences as I have struggled with this and with the horrid GI distress. I have always taken something with me on longer runs greater than an hour (water and or Bloks or gummy bears and something for the pup). I followed the same practice for all my HMs and typically would fuel at the halfway point but I have been having some real stomach/intestinal issues that I could not figure out. My daughter is convinced it is all hydration related so before my HM last weekend I made sure I was very well hydrated. During the race I sipped water (only) at each hydration point and at mile 4 I had some gummy bears - only I didn't eat them, I let them dissolve slowly in my mouth. Same with the Blok at mile 6. I had NO stomach issues at all, not even a grumble. I also did not run out of steam, finished strong with a PR, placing higher than I thought I could in my AG. Having it work once doesn't mean it is the solution I know, but I was thrilled not to have any issue. I also don't really know if it was the hydration or not getting the gummies/bloks into my stomach to digest. The point is though that you have to keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.

That's interesting! Maybe your stomach -- while on the go -- just doesn't like to be bothered with the breaking down of whole foods? It would rather deal with small pieces/dissolved sugars? But do gels not do the trick either? (Though to be fair, GU brand usually gives me some stomach problems because it's so thick, so I can see how those might also give you GI distress midrun.) Hope the dissolving method is the solution and works out for the future!

Different types of sugars can effect your stomach too.

"different sugars use different transport mechanisms to pass through the intestinal wall. Fructose uses a different intestinal transporter so the body can continue to absorb sugars via that mechanism after the glucose transporters are saturated"

http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/how-to-avoid-hitting-the-wall-during-the-marathon/

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/energy-gels-for-runners/

http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/gastrointestinal-problems-during-running/
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I only managed 4 miles of my 14 mile scheduled run yesterday. Between my sore tailbone and an upset stomach (it was already angry before I tried running), I ended up having to call my husband to come pick me up. So frustrating. Taking it easy today and tomorrow, and will see how my 4 miler goes on Wednesday.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1-2: 3 miles
    1-4: 3 miles

Goal: 6 of 30