Is eating 3-4 slices of bread will harm my weight loss???

Options

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Weight loss is about eating fewer calories than you burn.
    You do not have to eat a low carb diet to lose weight.
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.

People are telling me I won't lose weight because I'm eating too much carbs~

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

I can only do 30 mins of walking

1. People are stupid. Stop listening to them.
    2. You don't have to do hours of exercise. It's calories in vs. calories out. Each gram of carbs has 4 calories, each gram of protein has 4 calories, and each gram of fat has 9 calories. A calorie is a calorie. Eat all the carbs you want, as long as you're within your calorie goal.
    3. Why can you only do 30 minutes of walking?
    drdocument wrote: »
    While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.

I never knew protein will get stored as fat~

So proteins are same as carbs they both get stored as fat??

Extra calories will be stored as fat. It doesn't matter if they're calories from protein, fat, or carbs. If you eat more calories than your body uses, you'll gain fat. Period. Simple.

Isn't 30 minutes of exercise enough to lose weight

You can lose weight without exercise.

But don't you have go low carb on the days to not exercise??
    No. You don't.

Why do you have this idea that total caloric balance make less of an impact than carbs, meat, and sugar when managing weight?
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

2. You don't have to do hours of exercise. It's calories in vs. calories out. Each gram of carbs has 4 calories, each gram of protein has 4 calories, and each gram of fat has 9 calories. A calorie is a calorie. Eat all the carbs you want, as long as you're within your calorie goal.
    While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.

Extra calories will be stored as fat. It doesn't matter if they're calories from protein, fat, or carbs. If you eat more calories than your body uses, you'll gain fat. Period. Simple.

No. You don't.

Why do you have this idea that total caloric balance make less of an impact than carbs, meat, and sugar when managing weight?

I used to have carbphodia

Ever since I heard about low carbs diet

I used to think carbs are the enemies
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. There's nothing intrinsic to them that will keep you from losing weight. All you have to do is burn more calories than you eat.
  • Protranser
    Options

No. You don't.

I used to have carbphodia

Ever since I heard about low carbs diet

I used to think carbs are the enemies
    Your thread shows that you still have some discomfort with food. So, you didn't fear carbs as a past event. It is a present and persistent phenomenon for you.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I try doing the low carb diet for a faster weight loss but it was too difficult for me since I'm a vegetarian and meat is the only food with 0 carbs.

I wish carbs never slow weight loss T^T

Low carb has absolutely zero affect on the speed of your weight loss. NONE. I consume 50%-60% of my daily calories in the form of carbs, because I like carbs, and I have lost over 50 lbs since July. I'm fairly confident absolutely no one here would consider that slow.

10382200.png
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I remember you posting this same stuff before a long time ago.

Read the stickied posts at the top of each forum section to learn the basics (which is what I advised last time too).

Go and Google cico and macros. Until you learn the basics you won't be able to identify good advice (which you're getting here) from bad advice (which you seem rather attached to).

Keep asking the same questions, the answers aren't going to be any different than last time. Good luck.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @PeachyCarol and other vegetarians - what are your thoughts on spending lots of calories on bread?

My thoughts are... do what works for you. If you find it satiating and it fits your goals? Go for it.

Me personally? I have celiac disease and gluten free bread is not as satisfying and gluten-containing bread. I do, on occasion, like a poached egg on toast, but don't eat bread by itself because gluten free bread isn't all that great.

That's right, you don't eat gluten.

I was thinking it would be hard for a vegetarian to get enough protein if they were spending a lot of calories on bread.

It's not like bread is devoid of protein. The sandwich bread we buy is 70 calories per slice, 3g of protein, and 2g of fiber.

As with everything else, it depends on how much protein you are trying to get, what your calorie goal is, and all of that stuff. It's completely possible to eat bread regularly and maintain a deficit.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op its clear you have been very mistaken about carbs and the way weight loss works. Pretty much everything you have stated in this thread is incorrect. I would suggest going back and reading the stickied threads . you have gotten some excellent advice here today. Hopefully you take it.
    Carbs aren't your enemy. I eat 40%-45% carbs and have lost all my weight and kept it off for 2+ yrs so far. Don't get fooled by the carbs are bad misconception .

Any excess calories ( surplus) can be stored as fat. If you eat at a surplus, you gain weight. If you eat at a deficit you lose weight. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have 2-3 slices of bread most days, plus I am sure other carbs too. No noticeable affect on my weightloss.

All about the calories.
  • DanBGVa
    DanBGVa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is about the quality of the carbs, you CAN have carbs just healthy carbs and the best type of bread you can have in my opinion would be ezekiel bread, very healthy and good for you and almost NO impact on your blood sugar level, just no more than two slices per meal though. So when people start preaching about carbs I turn a deaf ear.... and when someone says it is not what the calories are made from.. I really look the other way because that is like saying oh just have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet... just plain wrong... it is the quality of your food.
  • Protranser
    Options
    DanBGVa wrote: »
    It is about the quality of the carbs, you CAN have carbs just healthy carbs and the best type of bread you can have in my opinion would be ezekiel bread, very healthy and good for you and almost NO impact on your blood sugar level, just no more than two slices per meal though. So when people start preaching about carbs I turn a deaf ear.... and when someone says it is not what the calories are made from.. I really look the other way because that is like saying oh just have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet... just plain wrong... it is the quality of your food.

Ezekiel bread has bible quotes on the packaging. Your suggestion makes me look the other way because i have had bad experiences with religious practitioners and seeing bible quotes on my food is a trigger and makes me overeat 3 bags of sugar each and every meal. Guess i should avoid Ezekiel bread because it's unhealthy
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Because there just couldn't possibly be a sensible, moderate alternative between 100% only "healthy" carbs (whatever that's supposed to mean) and a pound of sugar every day.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my favorite macro. If I could eat 100% of my macros in carbs, I would! I've also lost another 0.5kg since today from eating hundreds of grams of carbs every day!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    When I was eating bread, I cut back to one slice, or two for a sandwich, at most. Yes, it's the calories that count, but eating protein first, and not filling up with carbs, helps me stop eating sooner. Bread is just too easy and too delicious, to me. I'll eat bread when I should be eating vegetables and meat. You could be getting more nutritious carbs by eating beans, nuts, and whole whole grains (not flour) like quinoa.

Agreed! Bread feels like "empty fluff" in terms of calories. As in, I don't NEED to have two pieces of bread when I can just pile everything up on one piece and still feel good about it. So it's not that I avoid bread because of the carbs, but I avoid it because it's an easy way to cut calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    samira8080 wrote: »
    I know losing weight without excersize is possible, but is losing weight based on excersize without diet is possible?!!

you cant outrun a bad diet
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Because there just couldn't possibly be a sensible, moderate alternative between 100% only "healthy" carbs (whatever that's supposed to mean) and a pound of sugar every day.

Nope! Welcome to MFP, you must be new here! ;)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    @PeachyCarol and other vegetarians - what are your thoughts on spending lots of calories on bread?

My thoughts are... do what works for you. If you find it satiating and it fits your goals? Go for it.

Me personally? I have celiac disease and gluten free bread is not as satisfying and gluten-containing bread. I do, on occasion, like a poached egg on toast, but don't eat bread by itself because gluten free bread isn't all that great.

You aren't joking about the gluten free bread...yuck.

Canyon Bakehouse, if you can get it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

That's right, you don't eat gluten.

I was thinking it would be hard for a vegetarian to get enough protein if they were spending a lot of calories on bread.

It's not like bread is devoid of protein. The sandwich bread we buy is 70 calories per slice, 3g of protein, and 2g of fiber.

As with everything else, it depends on how much protein you are trying to get, what your calorie goal is, and all of that stuff. It's completely possible to eat bread regularly and maintain a deficit.

Indeed. Classic combination for creating a complete protein are even grains + legumes. I know the common wisdom now is you don't need to worry about it so long as a vegetarian diet is varied enough, but still.

Obviously people should eat in ways they find satiating and which given them enough of what they need in their diet, but it seems more sensible to start with that instead of assuming one must exist in advance because "carbs" or "bread."
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    .... and when someone says it is not what the calories are made from.. I really look the other way because that is like saying oh just have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet... just plain wrong... it is the quality of your food.

I have never heard anyone here say it's okay to "just go ahead and have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet."

A calorie literally IS a calorie - regardless of source - and all that's required in the weight loss formula is eating less of them than you burn in a day. But that's where the scientific weight loss equation ends and nutrition begins.

I never understand why people think that those of us who advise moderation instead of elimination just sit around all day eating Twinkies simply because they fit into our caloric allotment.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am T2Dm (and in the low end of normal BG) and eat moderate carbs (35% of my total calories). I eat 2-3 slices of bread every day (I include tortillas for wraps, English muffing, etc in this). Hasn't hurt my health OR my weight loss.

58841349.png