I've dropped 90lbs before...let's go again.

Options
124»

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Wow, made the mistake of reading the other posts. Feels like people intentionally misconstrue words and look for an argument. Maybe I misread the OP in his initial post, but I didn't read him mandating that people follow his tips. I think he called them tips....

Maybe go back and read the OP's original post. In the theme of Buddha, it may enlighten you before you post a comment.

He said both "if you really want to lose weight" before giving his tips, and he also, later referred to them as tips. The difference is that I didn't create a pointless argument out of it. I had read his entire post and understood it quite well. Appreciate your very genuine comment. It comes off as hyper-mature and not like you're trying to make me feel stupid.

And the Buddha / enlightenment smart-asstical comment is what I'm referring to, OP. Officially out. Good times, though.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    I agree with you Beardy - I've lost 120 lbs and I'm working on getting down more. Sugar is the enemy and if anyone wants to be truly healthy, you do not eat fast food or garbage food. Just because you can lose weight eating crappy food, doesn't mean you should...

So you are saying it is unhealthy to sometimes have pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken, etc? That is why people fail; when they try to live their entire life without ever eating ice cream, cookies, or fast food. You CAN be healthy eating basically whatever you want as long as it is all in moderation. I never said you should live on a Big Mac diet, but anyone who says you have to go your entire life without ever putting any of those foods in your mouth again is incorrect.

Yes, there are those who choose to be vegan, vegetarian, clean eating, keto, whatever... but that is not the only way to be healthy. You can have delicious things during your lifetime and enjoy them. We all only get one life, no reason in making it a stresser to never eat things you enjoy again.

I'm saying that having that once a month isn't bad but working it into your normal diet is not healthy.

Why can't you work it into your normal diet, and what do you mean it isn't healthy? What qualifies as healthy to you?
    I have pizza once a week. I just choose moderation and work it into my calorie budget, as I do all of my food, and personally choose veggie toppings, but that is personal choice, as I have come to prefer veggie pizza now.

It has been working for me for almost 4 years. Maybe not everyone's way of eating, but works for many people.

Once a week is a treat, like I said. My diet has also been successful for 3 years so to each their own. To make it cut and dry, is it healthier to eat a 1,000 calories a pizza every day or Fruits and Veggies and Meats, ect. That was more the point. Your normal diet would generally mean daily diet. I still agree with Buddha because I can accept the generalities he was expressing and understand his meanings.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Wow, made the mistake of reading the other posts. Feels like people intentionally misconstrue words and look for an argument. Maybe I misread the OP in his initial post, but I didn't read him mandating that people follow his tips. I think he called them tips....

Maybe go back and read the OP's original post. In the theme of Buddha, it may enlighten you before you post a comment.

He said both "if you really want to lose weight" before giving his tips, and he also, later referred to them as tips. The difference is that I didn't create a pointless argument out of it. I had read his entire post and understood it quite well. Appreciate your very genuine comment. It comes off as hyper-mature and not like you're trying to make me feel stupid.

And the Buddha / enlightenment smart-asstical comment is what I'm referring to, OP. Officially out. Good times, though.

You actually created a new pointless argument because he explained himself after the initial reaction. Also, I wasn't arguing or fighting if you actually read my post. He said, "I'm not trying to be mean but if you really want to be successful:" which gives the impression that this is the way it HAS to be done so I was clarifying and preceeded my comment with saying "not to argue...". Everything came out fine in the end and then you had to jump on with your pointless, asinine comments.

But you're out anyway. I think the OP gets the point and everyone is spreading rose petals for you now.
  • beardybuddha73
    beardybuddha73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ballooned up to 330. Got down to 245. Currently 270.

I've lost the weight before. I simply stopped trying when I was satisfied with the loss.

But that's not how this works.

I've re-committed to my health now that I'm 26, as I've just become tired of always being the fat guy. It's been fun but it's time to get real.

Here's how I did it the first time: lots of water, limited calories and working out six days a week. I cut out fast food, sweets and sugars, snacking and my beloved pizza. I didn't give up drinking though (Irish).

This time around I'm not going to be as aggressive. This time it's more about long-term health than quick results.

I'm not trying to be mean but if you really want to be successful:

STOP drinking sugary drinks. Juice, milk and water will find you well.

STOP eating fast food, pizza, or any of that processed garbage. Avoid it as much as poasible.

STOP snacking. If you are serious about dropping the weight, find the discipline to wait to eat until meals. Drink a glass of water instead.

Just a few tips. If you want more, add me. I've been through this before. I've gained some back. If you want respectful, but honest, support, I'm your guy.

Let's do this together and kick health's *kitten*.

I haven't read the other posts, but I'm sure you've already been reemed for saying no fast food or pizza. Personally, your approach works for me, too. I can't do a little fast food. If I do a fast food meal that satisfies me, I can't eat the rest of the day and I get cranky and wind up bingeing.

Actually, we're in pretty much the same boat. I was 270, down to 190, now I'm back up to 245. Like you, I'm going for the long-term approach. I'm actually not drinking at all this month and will only be doing so two days per week for the rest of the year. Like you, I have to exercise 5-7 times per week to make this work.

Not sure why I'm responding, but your post spoke to me, personally, and I'm all for this change in our lives. Clearly, my first bout of weight-*kitten*-kicking was not a lifestyle change, but a good, long effort. I got satisfied after I felt like I looked good. Now, I'm not trying to starve myself and I'm lifting instead of all cardio. See you this time next year, so we can flex for each other and send junk pics and the like.

Here's to your progress and mine. Get it!
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I would like to know what you are doing differently this time to firstly get down to a healthy weight ( I assume 245 may not be your absolute goal) and then maintain it

Actually I'll be following close to the same diet that brought me success the first time. What will change for me is how active I am. I worked out 6 days a week the first time. Due to jobs/etc I don't have time to be that rigorous with my workouts.

The thing that derailed me from my first major weight loss attempt was the loss of my best friend. I was almost 22 when that happened and still in college so I didn't handle it well.

But I grew from that. Learned a of lot lessons. That's why I think I can be successful long-term. Because I was sticking with that diet until he died.

Sorry about your friend

What changed for me was keeping my eye on the rest of my life,trying to build habits I could live with forever

So there would be no way you'd find me working out 6 days a week for life, things always happen...so I walk a lot, stay active when not at the gym and hit the gym ideally 3 times a week but sometimes twice and I love it

And I log food

Always

They are habits, part of my life ...keeping me in maintenance

Focus on pleasure in living and developing habits you can see yourself growing old with

Oh yeah working out that much ain't for me either long term. But I was the fattest I'd ever been so I knew it'd take drastic measures to get where I wanted to go.

And I think a pizza- and fast food-free me is a me I could grow old with.

Good luck!!!

• Clobern80
    Options
    Ballooned up to 330. Got down to 245. Currently 270.

I've lost the weight before. I simply stopped trying when I was satisfied with the loss.

But that's not how this works.

I've re-committed to my health now that I'm 26, as I've just become tired of always being the fat guy. It's been fun but it's time to get real.

Here's how I did it the first time: lots of water, limited calories and working out six days a week. I cut out fast food, sweets and sugars, snacking and my beloved pizza. I didn't give up drinking though (Irish).

This time around I'm not going to be as aggressive. This time it's more about long-term health than quick results.

I'm not trying to be mean but if you really want to be successful:

STOP drinking sugary drinks. Juice, milk and water will find you well.

STOP eating fast food, pizza, or any of that processed garbage. Avoid it as much as poasible.

STOP snacking. If you are serious about dropping the weight, find the discipline to wait to eat until meals. Drink a glass of water instead.

Just a few tips. If you want more, add me. I've been through this before. I've gained some back. If you want respectful, but honest, support, I'm your guy.

Let's do this together and kick health's *kitten*.

I haven't read the other posts, but I'm sure you've already been reemed for saying no fast food or pizza. Personally, your approach works for me, too. I can't do a little fast food. If I do a fast food meal that satisfies me, I can't eat the rest of the day and I get cranky and wind up bingeing.

Actually, we're in pretty much the same boat. I was 270, down to 190, now I'm back up to 245. Like you, I'm going for the long-term approach. I'm actually not drinking at all this month and will only be doing so two days per week for the rest of the year. Like you, I have to exercise 5-7 times per week to make this work.

Not sure why I'm responding, but your post spoke to me, personally, and I'm all for this change in our lives. Clearly, my first bout of weight-*kitten*-kicking was not a lifestyle change, but a good, long effort. I got satisfied after I felt like I looked good. Now, I'm not trying to starve myself and I'm lifting instead of all cardio. See you this time next year, so we can flex for each other and send junk pics and the like.

Here's to your progress and mine. Get it!
    I would like to know what you are doing differently this time to firstly get down to a healthy weight ( I assume 245 may not be your absolute goal) and then maintain it

Actually I'll be following close to the same diet that brought me success the first time. What will change for me is how active I am. I worked out 6 days a week the first time. Due to jobs/etc I don't have time to be that rigorous with my workouts.

The thing that derailed me from my first major weight loss attempt was the loss of my best friend. I was almost 22 when that happened and still in college so I didn't handle it well.

But I grew from that. Learned a of lot lessons. That's why I think I can be successful long-term. Because I was sticking with that diet until he died.

Sorry about your friend

What changed for me was keeping my eye on the rest of my life,trying to build habits I could live with forever

So there would be no way you'd find me working out 6 days a week for life, things always happen...so I walk a lot, stay active when not at the gym and hit the gym ideally 3 times a week but sometimes twice and I love it

And I log food

Always

They are habits, part of my life ...keeping me in maintenance

Focus on pleasure in living and developing habits you can see yourself growing old with

Oh yeah working out that much ain't for me either long term. But I was the fattest I'd ever been so I knew it'd take drastic measures to get where I wanted to go.

And I think a pizza- and fast food-free me is a me I could grow old with.

Good luck!!!

That is such blasphemy. Pizza is a gift from Zeus himself!
  • beardybuddha73
    Options

You actually created a new pointless argument because he explained himself after the initial reaction. Also, I wasn't arguing or fighting if you actually read my post. He said, "I'm not trying to be mean but if you really want to be successful:" which gives the impression that this is the way it HAS to be done so I was clarifying and preceeded my comment with saying "not to argue...". Everything came out fine in the end and then you had to jump on with your pointless, asinine comments.

But you're out anyway. I think the OP gets the point and everyone is spreading rose petals for you now.

I think everyone should remember in the first place i'm a fat guy giving diet advice. Lol. Sorry I created all this mess!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    "And I think a pizza- and fast food-free me is a me I could grow old with." - I'm with you on this @beardybuddha73. Nothing wrong with that type of food but I don't eat them and I don't miss them, either. To each their own.

The thing is that this whole individualized process is ever-changing for all of us as our lifestyles change. What we do to initially lose weight isn't necessarily what we do to maintain. What we do to maintain initially may change 10 or 15 years down the road depending on health and dietary restrictions. The key is to find what works for you at this current time and do that. Evaluate regularly and change as needed. That's my philosophy anyway.
  • beardybuddha73
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    "And I think a pizza- and fast food-free me is a me I could grow old with." - I'm with you on this @beardybuddha73. Nothing wrong with that type of food but I don't eat them and I don't miss them, either. To each their own.

The thing is that this whole individualized process is ever-changing for all of us as our lifestyles change. What we do to initially lose weight isn't necessarily what we do to maintain. What we do to maintain initially may change 10 or 15 years down the road depending on health and dietary restrictions. The key is to find what works for you at this current time and do that. Evaluate regularly and change as needed. That's my philosophy anyway.

Love this perspective. Thanks
  • Clobern80
    Options

I think everyone should remember in the first place i'm a fat guy giving diet advice. Lol. Sorry I created all this mess!

It's fine. Many people are passionate about things. And I am not saying you are wrong, I simply wanted to point out that wasn't what HAD to be done and it sort of blew up. Everyone has their way. You will never find me eating vegan or vegetarian because I would rather stick a fork in my eye. But it works for others.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Agreed. I could not live the rest of my life without pizza (even if it's somewhat infrequent), but that has no impact on how either of you choose to live and eat. Congrats to both of you for finding what works.

And definitely agree on the periodic reassessment.
    I keep having sugary snacks right before bed because I can; they fit in my calories and moderation. But, I really do need to accept that I tend to sleep like crap when I do that. I need to eat them earlier in the evening or skip the treat if it's too late. I'm tired...